happipuppi13

Page 1 of 24:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Ben-Hur (2016)
Ben-Hur : Of Remakes, Revenue and Redemption, 22 August 2016

As I type this, it's been just over 5 hours since I saw Ben Hur (2016) at the movies and I want to review it while all is fresh in my mind.

Yes, I knew all about the only $11 million + take for a $100 million dollar production but I wanted to see it for myself and not base my decision for attending on that.

Well, after watching it for 2 hours, I can tell all of you out there,it is only a 'financial' bomb and not any other kind. (Even the great, "It's A Wonderful Life" failed at the box office but it's become a classic.)

Happy to say, despite the bleak box office, it wasn't empty where I saw it. Along with fellow patrons, I was 'literally' (no exaggerating here) on the edge of my seat. Not just during the chariot race (which I'm glad wasn't "all" CGI) but the whole movie.

I'll give that the opening horse race between the 2 brothers reminded me of the start of "Prince Of Egypt" but it's too nitpicking a detail to lower my rating.

Judah Ben Hur being a more down to earth person made it very interesting to watch. Of course it's not like Charlton Heston...then again, why would or should it be? Huston is his own person and his own kind of actor and 'his' portrayal of Ben Hur belongs to him, just as Heston's "Ben Hur" in 1959.

Ben Hur's 'odyssey' (for want of a better word) is. from the moment his adoptive brother leaves, told in every bit of emotion, action and effort. Not just from Huston, but from all major & minor characters here.

Some complain of the actor who played Jesus. 'Jesus wasn't very interesting.' Which goes to show, they do not understand what kind of person or maybe even 'being' Jesus was supposed to have been.

Morgan Freeman is (and never fails to be in serious roles)mesmerizing,as well as simply being almost impossible not to pay attention too and hang onto the words of his best lines of dialog.

Along with his narration, he brings that wonderfully nameless ingredient that makes up his acting style.

This is not an action movie or any other kind of 'big summer box office' film. It's a story about a man who, in protecting another, is made to suffer for his humanity & beliefs and yet somehow survive and find redemption in the end.

The chariot race is all but a small, yet nearly deadly, part of that journey. That race, in whichever version, is iconic.....but it's not the 'whole' of the entire work.

The chariot race here just as much as the 1959 race (or the other remakes) was a nail biter, despite knowing the outcome. It's not about trying to 'top' that race or the Oscar Winner...NO ONE will ever do that. I do know, it 'is' possible to remake a Best Picture.

The question is: "Do studios want to make a work of art or do they just want to cash in, on a known entity? If answer #2 is the reply, then they're destined to fail.

This 'Ben Hur', artistically and emotionally, IS powerful movie making on all counts. In that light, it's a success.

So, I've no doubt Ben Hur (2016) will be a favorite of many for along time, just for that reason alone. #1 one at the box-office or not.

10 stars ladies and gentlemen. Please don't let the box office take stop you from seeing this movie. In the theater or on DVD. (END)

Angry Birds - Birds, Birds. I Know Birds Are The Word, 22 May 2016

Just over 2 years ago, I had never heard of 'Angry Birds'.

Being 47, it's not surprising, however, my girlfriend

(who I met that long ago) was and still is a huge fan of theirs.

So, late yesterday afternoon we went to see it and she loved it. I can also say the same that I really liked it too. (Loved? Most likely.)

An easy thing of just about anyone to understand, 'Red' is a bird with serious pent up anger issues, that pretty much fly out of his mouth when he just can't stand something that's getting on his nerves. An unfortunate result of bullying in school when he was younger. Which many people of many ages can relate to as well.

His rage at a father who berates him for being late to his kid's birthday (as the clown), sends him over the edge and he winds up in anger management class. Where he meets his future friends.

Meanwhile, a boatful of pigs from a neighboring island have come sailing in and extending the hand of friendship (Or are they?).

Showering the birds of the island with gifts, parties and entertainment, the pigs are secretly 'hatching' a plan to make off with all the birds' eggs and have one huge egg banquet.

'Red' (whose house they squashed on arrival) is naturally suspicious of them, tries to warn everyone, but they wont listen.

Anyhow, I'll stop the plot there as I don't want to give too much away, but what I'll tell you from here is, this movie is really worth seeing. I think parents can leave it up to their own best judgement of the appropriate age to attend.

The film moves at an excellent pace, the animation is great, the story is timeless and there's very little to offend anyone over age 10 here.

A great lesson learned in the film is, it's okay to feel angry, but it's important to learn and know, when to let it out and for what important reasons

10 Stars , no doubt about it. (END_

Arnold Horshack On The Rocks, 17 May 2016

I just viewed, on DVD, this episode for the first time in years and strictly in terms of Season 4 of "Welcome Back, Kotter", it's truly the best.

Ron Palillo gives a very dynamic and very real portrayal of what his Arnold character Horshack becomes under the influence of hard liquor/whiskey.

When Arnold is fearful of making a fool of himself on a date with Mary Johnson, another student, Carvelli, tells him he can calm his nerves down by selling him a bottle of whiskey.

Arnold is reluctant but Carvelli give him the bottle and asks for the money later. Later, we see Arnold has both emotionally and mentally transformed in to both a verbally and physically abusive young man.

He also finds things funny that are not at all funny and even comes close to being paranoid that everyone's against him. He even yells at his teachers.

A later physical altercation involving himself, his buddies and Mary, leads to him having to decide if it's going to be her or the bottle.

Everyone in this episode did their job as actors here, with their characters actions and reactions to the downward spiral of their friend.

Ron, with that kind of support made the usually lovable and peaceful boy/ man Arnold Horshack, a very frightening person and or persona to witness.

Which to me, only makes it clear how badly Hollywood ignored him later, by typecasting him (or not hiring him at all) in later roles. They only recalled the "Ooh'-ooh-ooh's" and meekness of Ron's 'Arnold Horshack' , that and just maybe 100% confusing him, with his character.

Overall...and again, for the much forgotten Season 4, this episode is, hands down the very best one. Ten stars. ...and the show's fan's miss you much Ron (and Robert). *END*

Grease 2 (1982)
Grease 2 ; The Rydell Hype, 12 March 2016

When I was 14, I saw this movie over summer vacation.

Naturally, having seen Grease and like anyone else who saw it, I didn't think it possible to make a sequel.

Either 'at all' or to make one that wasn't as good as the first.

Now at that age, I did like the movie and understood it wouldn't star Travolta or Olivia Newton John (who were too busy making so-so or even worse films at the time.)

I'm in my 40s now and I got to re-watch this last night, for the first time in about 11 years or so.

First, sorry to all of you who truly love this movie, if you love it that's fine but I honestly can't like it as much as you do. ...but, you're welcome to your feelings.

I feel the characters, some of the songs just don't have the heart that made "Grease" enjoyable for me.

Unlike the first, it seems no one in this movie really cares about anyone but themselves and most of the dialog centers around sexual things.

..but! I can't totally dismiss it either. There are some good things in the movie, it's true. Too bad it's all in the first half only.

As we know,in the opening, Sandy's cousin Michael Carrington has come to live in the U.S. and attend Rydell High in California like she did.

In this case, he's a 'male' Sandy and Pink Lady and 'Stephanie Zinone' is the female 'Danny Zuko'. She of course thinks he's a nerd & uninteresting. He meet up with Frenchy (Didi Conn) as he gets off the school bus.

It's not long before he's fallen for Stephanie, who's getting sick of the immaturity and bossiness of current T-Bird leader Johnny Nogerelli, who's only her boyfriend because she's a Pink Lady. Michael decides (despite Frenchy's Warning) to try and become a T-Bird type himself and win Stephanie's love & respect.

In mere weeks (in movie time) he's practically Evel Knievel on a motorcycle, wearing a leather jacket and disguising his voice in a weird American voice. He single handedly takes on the T-Birds rival gang outside the bowling alley.

Anyway, up to the point of the "Prowlin'" number, it's was a good movie. Then it all falls apart.

Right after that is a somewhat dull scene in a diner with Michael & Stephanie. An even duller song by Caufield, the goofy fallout shelter scene and a bit later, the unbelievably embarrassing and badly staged 'Graduation Luau' .

I have to say this, for being a young actress at the time, Pfeiffer's is the best actor of all in the whole film. .... but has no choice but to somehow get through the scene of her and Zmed in the boat in a round swimming pool.

Johnny's actually trying to row his way out, when the rival gang shows up to wreck the place.... and her screaming "Stop yelling at me!"

Another question...why ask Sid Cesar, Dody Goodman, Eve Arden to appear, when they really didn't give them much to do in the film? I feel their talents were wasted here. It's more like they're extras than real characters.

Tab Hunter & Connie Stevens don't seem to add much to the mix either.

The other problem here is, in the first half, the musical numbers are really good. Which gives the impression it's going to be a great movie.

The opening number, "Back To School Again" (sung in a voice over by The Four Tops) is a great one. The dancing is perfect and the song's exciting.

Other good numbers are Pfeiffer's "Cool Rider" (sort of 1980s Pat Benetar, being sung in 1961, with MTV like moves). Still, one of her best remembered moments in the film.

"Score Tonight" (sung in the bowling alley) is more of a funny song than one to be taken seriously. Still, it works in how it's put together. "Reproduction", despite it's tacky lyrics, is also funny and it's routine works too.

In the 2nd half of the film, only, " Prowlin' " - Sung by Adrian Zmed (depending on your opinion of his singing of course) and "You're Girl For All Seasons" are the best.

The rest of the songs, "Charades" (sung by Caufield w/ too much echo effect), "Who's That Guy?, "Love Will Turn Back The Hands Of Time", "Do It For Our Country", "Rock-A-Hula Luau" and "We'll Be Together" ....are anywhere from dull to just really uninspired songwriting.

There's even the bad edit from Stephanie & Michael starting the "We'll Be Together" number, to everyone already coupled up (including them) and slow dancing/walking to the camera. Topped off with some silly 'spinning and/or 'ballet' routine.

So, all of this,is why I'm rating it 5 stars.

A good jump start in the first half but a 2nd half that gets lost and runs out of gas on the way to the finish line. (END)

Pete's Dragon - A Review To View, Before We See The New, 22 February 2016

Sunday,Feb. 21st, I took out an old copy of Pete's Dragon, that i have on VHS and decided to watch it. It had been a few years since I'd looked at it.

I watched it in the company of my significant other, who being a few years younger, had not yet seen it. Well, not only did she like it but I was reminded why I liked it in the first place. For a few of my so called 'grown up years, I'd dismissed it a great deal as 'not Disney's best work'. I also didn't have a nice word for Sean Marshall's (Pete's) singing voice. (I'd roll my eyes during the 'I Love You Too' song.

Now this past Sunday also, was the Disneyland 60th anniversary show on ABC, in which a preview trailer of the NEW 'Pete's Dragon was shown. I had no idea that a 'new' version of this childhood favorite was coming out soon or was even being made.

What I can tell anyone who is thinking of going to see the new version is, as I always say about remakes, see the original version first.

Sure, it was made in 1977 and the special effects aren't the same as what we're used to today....but that's what they had to work with then and what movie goers were used to then as well. Yes, that includes 'green-screen'effects.

More importantly, what makes Pete's Dragon engaging is that it 'is' so very simple and child-like in most of it's telling. There's a few things said & done by adults in the film that are not up to today's Politically Correct do's & don't's, where kids films are concerned.

They're a product of the time it was made and by a different generation, so it's best to just consider the era they're from.

The film over the years has been called things from kiddie-fair, to overly sentimental to emotionally disturbing. None of which are fair labels, nor are they grounded in anything but certain scenes taken out of context.

I would say that maybe, since it's a movie with a dragon, people then possibly expected Elliot to do more fantastic things than he actually did. He's a funny character with a funny way of talking and uses 'some' of his magic. I'm sure it was expected he'd use that magic on a greater scale.

Anyhow,the story is this. Pete's an orphaned boy between 10 & 12 who is 'purchased' by the despicable 'Gogan' family, who are dirty, filthy and lazy and use Pete as child slave labor back home. They even have a 'bill of sale'.

Pete's been befriended by Elliot, a usually invisible but sometimes seen, green Dragon (with little wings) that's helped him escape from the Gogans.

He and Pete have come upon the quiet seaside town of Passamaquoddy, Maine. (Circa 1910s) Where in no time at all, Elliot makes the possibility of Pete living (and hiding out) there almost impossible.

Enter Nora (Singer Helen Reddy) and 'Lampie' (Mickey Rooney), who operate the local lighthouse. (It's never made clear if they're co-workers or Father & daughter).

Lampie is a drinker & former sailor, who actually sees Elliot and is frightened like crazy. Nora (and the boys at the bar) doubt him completely.

Soon, because of Elliot's antics, it seems the town (except for Nora) is against Pete. Nora takes him in and thinks that Elliot is just something Pete made up.

As the story goes on, there's other baddies to worry about besides the Gogans. Doc Terminus a snake-oil (fake medicine) salesman and his shill Hoagie arrive also. not just to take money from the townspeople but, when finding out about Elliot, want to get hold of him to use his parts in the things they sell.

How will all of this turn out? Watch and see.

In the meantime, I can tell you the songs here are pretty good. Reddy's 'Candle On The Water' is a great number, so much so it w released as a single for radio in1978. All of her numbers are good, as before this she'd had many top selling records. "Brazzle Dazle Day' is also an unforgettable & very catchy number sung by her, Roony & Marshall, as the paint the lighthouse.

The Gogan's "Bill Of Sale' song is as grungy as they are. not note perfect but they're not perfect either, so it's fitting. Other songs by other characters are sung , 'in character'. To be fair to Pete, Marshall is actually a good singer but is singing as a regular boy like Pete could only be able too.

So, I feel it was meant to happen that I ended up watching the original the same day as that special. Meaning, I may just go see the new version but it's still good to know that the original's always there.

Not just to give an idea of what the new version may be like or how it'll be different ..but also, if someone may just like something from a time that was simpler and more easy going.

9 out of 10 from me, only one off for,again, some questionable dialog and actions from the grown ups in the film. (END)

Paying To See This 'Was' A Dirty Trick, 4 February 2016

Well! Apparently I am (at the moment) the only person who remembers this humiliating effort from Elliot Gould, Kate Jackson & Rich Little.

Let me say,I saw a great many films at the movies in 1981 and given my lack of knowledge about "good comedy" and "great acting",I ended up seeing a number of really bad films.

This one was the biggest case of bad judgment I ever made! I've only seen it once on late night TV since seeing it at the movies and thankfully,that was over 10 years ago.

The plot is this,Elliot Gould is a teacher of either Government or History and talks to his class about "revisionism". Changing known history to suit one's own ideas. Suddenly, a letter condemning George Washington as a traitor shows up!

Also,"suddenly" Kate Jackson,playing a reporter,finds out about Elliot Gould's discovery and wants the scoop for her news show.

Gould's friend played by Rich Little simply seems to be in the way here and adds nothing to this mess. The two of them are also trying to track down an expert to verify that the letter is real.

Then along come the bad guys! Almost out of nowhere Gould and Jackson are pursued by bald headed men looking to harm or kill them for the letter in question!

At one point they are chased through the gym of the school and for no reason,except someone thought it would be funny,Gould grabs the basketball out of a players hand and makes a shot.

One of the baddies shoots a hole in the ball! The shoddy editing of that scene makes the ball appear re-inflated after going through the hoop!

In another scene Jackson and

Gould get in a fight and he punches her in the jaw.

In the end (and no,I don't think it matters that I'm telling you).... Elliot Gould solves the problem by eating the letter!

Well,enough said here but if you see this on video anywhere.....RUN!

The Wizard Of Oz : From The Books To Today, 1 September 2015

*This review is dedicated to my parents ,who were born in the 1930s.*

I'll start by saying that many here say ,read the books ,they're better. Well, sure they are. I've read the 14 books by Frank L. Baum and they're classic American literature and simply fun to read as well.

Frank L. Baum ,was a man with an imagination ,in a time and place in America ,when men weren't supposed to (or sometimes not allowed to) have one ,after they grew up. (For better insight into Mr. Baum and his books ,watch John Ritter's portrayal in the NBC, 1990 film ,"The Dreamer of Oz."

The 1st filmed version was in 1925 but was laced with both personal & racial stereotypes. As well as being a bit uneven. Nearly 15 years after that version ,came the film that really ,is the first live action movie made for young people. (Kids were not exactly a priority in the early days of movie making.)

Now ,over the years ,many have complained that despite the positive message ,the humor and the happy songs sung in the film...it's very dark in many places. If you stop and think about it ...doesn't that sound like many of the movies ,for kids, made during the last 30+ years?

The film's also accused of being 'heavy-handed' in it's attempt to make it's point. The 1930s 'were' a very gloomy time and this being a first attempt at this kind of movie ,it couldn't possibly have come across any other way.

The people who went and saw this film in '39 ,not only saw the future of movies (unknowingly) but a reflection of their own era. Dorothy & family live on a farm in Kansas ,in the Depression and are threatened by a powerful woman with money ,who feels she can bully and threaten them because she has more than they do.

In that situation (and given that no one takes her seriously because she's a kid) Dorothy ,maybe like many in that time, wishes she could be someplace better and that place must be on the other side of rainbow.

This isn't just something little children or kids could think. Adults can feel this way as well. What adult wouldn't want to escape the sometimes heavy responsibilities & problems of life ,that they didn't have to deal with as a kid?

Sure ,Dorothy finds problems when she gets to Oz. What kind of movie would it be if there weren't any? It'd be one giant tea party with music.

In learning the lesson of 'there's no place like home' and that in seeking one ,'she should look no further than her own backyard' ,Dorothy has to see that no matter where you go, no place is perfect or without its problems....even Munchkinland.

The witch is a severe problem. Scarecrow , Tin Man , Cowardly Lion and even the Wizard ,all have problems too.

Dorothy's in a beautiful land but wants to leave it ,which is another problem. She got what she thought she wanted but realized ,she didn't.

She wanted to be home with her family. With all the 'dark' things she goes through ,she does what most of us would do ,she fights for it! With help from her new friends in Oz. When she melts the witch, intended or not ,it was her passing the last test ,to get herself home.

A test as well from Glinda ,because she knew why Dorothy had landed in Oz and she helped her see the reality of where it was she truly belonged. Could she have told Dorothy this ,yes ,but would she listen ,anymore than she'd have believed shoes could get her home instantly?

All of the things many love The Wizard Of Oz for ,are either things we experience in our lives or that we wish we could do.

This movie isn't just for little children or kids ,it's for everyone,of any age. I've watched it on CBS as a kid ,on video and DVD and in 1998 ,I got the pleasure of seeing it in a special 're-release' to movie theaters ,on the big screen.

.... And The Wizard Of Oz , is for anyone who simply likes a good movie ,like I do. That and manymore reasons are why I rate it 10 stars.

Aside from the lesson ,the real reason to watch the movie ,is to enjoy yourself. Nothing more or less than that. The characters,the story ,the songs ,the scenery and going from black & white to color in a blink

...all a part of telling the world's simplest story of how there's no place like home. ...and home can be a house or even the real world we live in ,where we take the bad with the good.

That's something that's as true today as it was over 75 years ago. {END]

Phat Girlz (2006)
Phat Girlz - It's No "Fat Joke".,, 24 August 2015

Like many,I expected to see an ongoing,fat joke filled movie ,when I watched this. That certainly isn't the case here. This film actually has a heart,a mind and gets deep into the soul of what these two women (as well as larger women everywhere) go through everyday.

Despite the fact that Mo'Niques character puts up a tough front and gives the fist to anyone who calls her a fat "B" (you know the rest)she really is hurting very deeply inside like any other person would and should be. As seen by the amount of products in her room,she's fighting a losing battle with her size. Which makes her more depressed.

Her best friend is down on herself as well and has unfortunately grown up with the impression that,not only is she fat,she's homely too and lacking in personality. Mo'Niques skinny cousin in the movie was no help to her growing up or now.

Then,as in most movies ,fate takes over.

The two friends and the cousin win a stay at a luxury resort where there's nothing but skinny women around making them feel uncomfortable (except for the cousin of course). Into their lives come three men who hail from Africa.

These men,unlike the practically brain-washed men in the world,walk up and basically want to meet Mo'Nique & her friend. The third man thinks the cousin must be sick,being so skinny.

The best looking of these men is completely into Mo'Nique but she's not allowing herself to accept it 100% because she's so used to men not giving her the time of day. Her friend gets an admirer too and soon he's gotten her out of her shell (as well as her clothes & his,no nudity though!)

This movie,unlike some films that paint unflattering portraits of women or overweight people and African Americans,this film has great intelligence to it! I especially liked the real African dancing in the movie and how they demonstrate it's okay to be yourself in your skin.

Yes,there's the typical "your mama" jokes between Mo'Nique and some guy who works at a fast food place but the boy has it coming for being insulting. It's a very funny scene to watch!

Best of all though,this movie doesn't offer up an easy answer for Mo'Nique's character. It isn't...just lose the weight,just get a man or just get rich and everything will be perfect.

After her admirer tells her she should accept that she'll never be a size five,she runs from him and hides away in her room and into a deep depression.

She eats for days & watches TV but then,something just snaps in her and she goes on a tear through her room. Throwing all the diet products,clothes that don't fit and the TV out the window.

From that point she re-invents herself and starts up her own clothing line for large women,leading to a fashion show and financial world -wide success. Which she shares with her friend and cousin.

With her new attitude and outlook & success,she still is missing that one piece though. She flies down to Africa and is reunited with the man who loves her just the way she is. For all these reasons,I give this movie 10 stars!

I can only guess that the over-abundance of negative ratings are from those who may not have taken the time to "really" watch this movie. I may not be African-Amercian,but I know it should be on a list of the best 100 films starring & made by African Americans. I urge any & all to give this a second look!

"Phat" is in the eyes of the beholder! (END)

The Sights & Sounds of The Sound Of Music, 6 August 2015

A few days ago I was thinking,"What BEst Picutre winner should I choose for a review?" Many to choose from of course

The answer came to me Sunday,the day after Christmas 2010. NBC replayed this wonderful film and I watched it, since it had been a few years since seeing it.

I recall on The Oprah Winfrey Show ,she had Julie Andrews,Christopher Plummer and all 7 of the,now grown,child actors who played the Von Trapp children. It was the first time they'd all been together in one place since 1965 and it was a very touching reunion.

Growing up in the 1970s and 1980s,The Sound Of Music was on TV every year and when you're a kid,it usually is the first "Best Picture" Oscar winner that you ever see in your life. When you see it the first time,the moment you see Andrews in the hills and that sweeping camera shot,you know it's going to be something great.

Like a lot kids,it was only natural I'd like songs like "Do-Re-Mi","My Favorite Things,"So Long,Farewell" and "The Lonely Goatherd"(or "The Yodeling Song" as some call it) and more. I liked "Edelweiss" and "Climb Every Mountain" when I was older. It was on every year in our house.

Julie Andrews' singing voice is no longer of this caliber but it's great that we have her in this and "Mary Poppins" and other movies,where we can marvel at her vocal abilities back then. Plummer turns in a somewhat serious but enjoyable performance. Going from stern and inflexible,then back to the father the children knew when their mother was alive,fair and loving and (of course) singing.

Every kid has their own memorable moments as well The family's togetherness and fun is disrupted by the infiltration of the wretched Nazi party. They know they have to escape their own country now or live under the rule of a cruel & heartless dictatorship.

That leads to the most exciting part of the movie. The clever departure after the concert,chase through the city and eventual escape over the mountains.

The Sound Of Music,as we know,was a phenomenal success when it was released in March of 1965. It deservedly won for Best Picture and it's other categories.

That success came about because it's simply a movie that the whole family and even those without families can enjoy. Which is why it's still so highly acclaimed even 45 years later.

Lastly,because the people behind the scenes,as well as Andrews & Plummer themselves,made sure the film had an equal balance of fun and that of the serious as well. A job and movie,well done! Ten stars,for all time.

(END)

Cinderella (2015/I)
100% Positively Wonderful, 30 July 2015

I read some the very negative reviews and came to this conclusion.....

These people went to the movie but didn't really see it or they didn't even go to see it and just created a Trollish (and very short) review with no substance to it at all.

First off. Too many Cinderella remakes? Well, guess what? It'll be remade probably 20 years from now too. What does that have to do with how good or bad it was? For that matter,who cares? "Disappointing indeed", is something another said. What are the ways it was disappointing? No explanation,just an empty opinion.

"It is made for kids only and not for adults". Really?! I'm 46 and my girlfriend in her 30s. We saw this last night and enjoyed it just as much as the kids and (guess what?) their parents were enjoying it too.

A girl losing both of her parents? How in the world is that "for kids only"? I was amazed they dealt with it that directly and in a very mature manner, without making it too disturbing for very little kids.

"This movie was so boring." Okay again,"how" or in what ways was it boring? Just another blanket opinion.

"Nothing new?" It's a re-make of a 200 year old story,they have to tell it in mostly the way it was written but they did add something important, they gave all main/central characters real human qualities and emotions and even back-stories about who they are.

CGI animation & special effects are amazing & seamless here. The costumes and attention to how people would dress in that era is flawless. Every actor in this film is 100% into their role and best of all this movie "does" have heart,otherwise there'd be nothing to like about it.

A rip off of others or a "copy & paste" job : There's only one real storyline for Cinderella and that's (again) from the original story & book itself. Director Orlando and other filmmakers did not create Cinderella. He and they only made their own versions.

As for some alleging "Disney steals ideas"...aside from "a few" Cinderellas made before 1950, Disney pretty much made the definitive and animated one that year. Any later versions are remakes either good or just okay.

In case any haven't heard ,the movie industry is 112 years old,there's only so many "fresh" ideas anymore.

"The acting is/was so tasteless". What is that statement based on? There's nothing tasteless in the film at all. As for acting, does anyone really think it's easy to play such a "nice girl" as Ella and balance that against all the negative things happening to her? I'm not in show business but I certainly know the difference between a boring film and a good ,fun and entertaining one. This movie "is" a good movie,it has every element that it takes to be so.

Good actors, good directing,a well fleshed out script based on something already done before. ..and again, incredible detailed costumes and sets & again great special effects, that bring the illusion of that time period to life. The music score is excellent as well.

About the feminists. Ella is a very strong girl and then woman. To put up with all she did and went through after her parents passed on, is a testament not only to being a strong female but being a strong person in general.

I say that as a man raised by two good yet strong women.

It's far too easy for people to be negative in a review here on IMDb. It's easy to see, some come from just from wanting to be mean and negative because they want too,not because they actually saw the film.

Making a bad or boring film is a very easy thing too,when all involved don't make a real effort and just want to make money.

It takes a better use of one's mind to create a movie (and remakes) like Cinderella and have it be successful and as well done as this film.

Ten stars? I'll give Cinderella (2015) twenty! An AA++ and 100% perfect score. I will say and add that this movie will be an Oscar contender at next year's Academy Awards.

Anyone who rates it less did not open themselves up emotionally or even mentally to just enjoying it for what it is and always was & will be....a fairy tale. (END)

See less▲