salviolog

A good post-modern horror, 25 November 2013

I honestly don't understand why this movie receives so much hate. Not only was it made with great attention to little fun details, but also has a message to it. But what's more important - this movie gets to the root of horror: a scary idea. It does not rely on special effects - it purposely makes itself cheezy B-movie style flick to throw away everything but the centre piece - an idea of stopless killer.

It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. It has acid for blood and it can't be killed.

We have seen this countless times in the Terminator, West World, Alien, Friday the 13th, even in the book of Revelation it appears as the 7 headed dragon character. It is a classic human fear.

But not only is this killer can't be stopped, he is also a killer clown, like Pennywise, the Joker, or Stanley Kubrick's Johnny Clay from The Killing - another classic horror monster.

The movie is full of horror references, but not just for the sake of it - they are essential to the movie's point that it's trying to make: although we are trying to pretend that the horror clown is soooo funny, when left alone in the dark with him, we pee our pants no matter how fake he looks. Because that saw in his hands doesn't look so fake anymore.

It is sort of a look at horror as a genre: to understand what is essential to it, you have to let go everything that is not. And when it comes down to one thing, it comes off so simple: just scaring people! Isn't it what the horror genre is all about? And this is why this movie is brilliant. And the clown is creepy as hell, even while I'm writing this I'm looking behind me from time to time.

Shameful Siquel, 29 January 2014

This is even worse than Blair Witch 2. One of the worst sequels I have ever seen: completely untrue to the first movie, lacking the tense atmosphere and unsettling mood, unoriginal shameful pile of rubbish! The first movie was about a group of campers who get in trouble in the middle of nowhere, a classic set-up for this sort of movie. The atmosphere was suspenseful and gripping, the characters were decently believable and the story was simple and thrilling. Why are we suddenly in high school? Why does the movie Cabin Fever suddenly has PROM in the plot? Why all the needless and pointless gross-out? I don't know and frankly I don't care.

This movie was done in the dark years of the sh*t sequel wave, because of which movie makers are still are ashamed of using numbers in their titles. Cabin Fever 2 is one of the reasons why.

plain stupid, 14 February 2014

This is one of the most inaccurate attempts to make a dramatization of the real life events. The movie takes so much liberty with the story, it just comes off as a lie. The main villain looks nothing like Ed Gein, and his actions are nowhere near to what Ed Gein had done in reality. The way the movie was done, he might have as well pop out a chainsaw and wield it around. There is a much better independent movie called Ed Gein (2001), so I'd recommend to all who are interested in the gruesome case of Ed Gein to watch that one instead - this one is just a bad attempt to make a slasher movie out of real life. And it appears that my review is too short, because I really have nothing else to say about this movie, so I'll just write this down at the end. In the words of The Critic, Jay Sherman, "It stinks!".

Entity (2012)
Disappointing, yet somewhat entertaining, 28 March 2013

The movie follows a crew of British filmmakers lead by comrade Fake Accent through the Russian equivalent of the Blair Witch forest filmed in UK, so that they could shoot a shaky cam documentary about ghosts.

At first the movie looks like it's going to tell a story about some real brutal Russian stuff - a serial killer like Chekotilo, or a story of some 90's Russian mafia massacre: these things were real and they did take place in forests like this, which would make the movie really scary and uncomfortable.

But instead, the movie falls victim to all the Russian stereotypes you can imagine, including KGB, secret spy stuff, Luger pistols et cetera - I was surprised the crew wasn't attacked by bears on unicycles. It takes away from the story very much.

But the movie still was somewhat interesting to watch, it creates atmosphere and tension, and the scenes which were supposed to be scary do look pretty scary.

The Child (2012)
Another generic serial killer movie, 9 March 2013

At first the movie takes a pretty serious turn, but then starts jumping back and forth as if not sure what tone to contain, so it just tone-shifts allover.

The actors are decent and the characters are interesting enough to be invested over, but the story suffers from all the psychological triller clichés we've seen a thousand times before.

The ending is one big giant letdown, and the last act of the movie is just characters explaining the plot to the audience - which is not such a bad thing considering how confusing the film is due to its tone-shifting issues - although you can't help but keep expecting the phrase "And I would've gotten away with it if it wasn't for you meddling kids" to pop up. Don't waste your time on this one, watch 'Silence of the Lambs' instead.

The Ugly (1997)
Laughably Silly, 19 January 2014

The movie looks like poor (and stoned) man's "Silence of the Lambs".

It obviously tries to cash in on this 90's critical masterpiece's success and just gives us this silly comic book version of it. To sum up the feeling of the movie would be best to say that it looks as if the Asylum tried to film Silence of the Lambs Tarantino&Rodrigues style.

Or, to be totally brief, the movie totally feels like "The Doom Generation".

But you can have lots of fun with the goofy villain, his heavy metal rastafarian henchmen, the Totally-Not-Scully poor man's version of Clarice Starling, the over-the-top femdom mother, and, of course, THE BULLIES. Oh don't we love those in cinema.

All in all, violently stupid 90's time capsule. Worth watching if you have some good weed on you.