Reviews written by
clockwork8812

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Stakeout (1987)
Rock Solid, 29 April 2005

I love this movie! It has everything a viewer could want: comedy, action, romance and drama. Richard Dreyfuss and Emilio Estevez rock as a pair of Seattle detectives on a special case. Dan Lauria and Forest Whitaker are also good. This movie's special for me because I saw it when it came out in 1987 and it was awesome. Anti-boring and excitement all the way. The opening alone is a blast and had me on the edge of my seat. I also love the soundtrack and the score by Arthur B. Rubinstein, which is in a league of it's own. Songs like "Desire" by Ross Vannelli and "Hot Together" by the Pointer Sisters fit right into the action. Great job by Aidian Quinn has the hood. Sadly, I cannot recommend the sequel which is boring and has no excitement whatsoever.

Score, 10 out of 10 Stars

Solid Cold War Comedy, 20 April 2005

Check out that ending! That's real life footage by the way. This film is another highlight on director Stanley Kubrick's fantastic career. It's not my favorite Kubrick movie, but it still delivers. Out of Peter Sellers' three main characters, I have to go with Captain Lionel Mandrake as my favorite. Calm, cool, collected and at times unintentionally hilarious, he's a breath of fresh air alongside a group of bizarre characters. And it was so interesting to see James Earl Jones at such a young age in his first ever film appearance! Anything else positive about this movie has already been said by other reviewers, so sit back and enjoy the ride.

Score, 8 out of 10 Stars

Now I See What The Beef Is All About, 20 April 2005

WARNING: SPOILERS After seeing the movie and reading the novel, I now understand why so many Stephen King fans hate this movie, not to mention King himself. They have a legitimate beef. Doing things like turning Ullman into a nice guy and not showing the hotel's maintenance man was bad judgment on Kubrick. I know that it's very rare when a film follows a novel right down to a tee, but this here is way off kilter. On the other hand, if you go into this movie blind without reading the book like I did, then you're in for some good, solid chills. First off, the score by Wendy Carlos is very good and sets the creepy mood from the opening credits when we see the Rocky Mountains. I also liked the scene where Danny's playing darts in the game room and all of a sudden he see's the Grady twins staring at him from the door. Very simple yet powerful scene. This movie is different from the book because Stanley Kubrick wanted it that way. Since this film packs a punch and never let's down, I'm not complaining. But the novel also packs a bigger punch. Either way, go for both.

Score, 9 out of 10 Stars

Weak, Almost Comical Look At The Life Of The Wisconsin Maniac, 20 April 2005

WARNING: SPOILERS This movie was a real let down that failed to shock the viewers about it's so-called "disturbing" portrayal of Ed Gein. At times you end up laughing at Roberts Blossom and the stupid things he says in the film: "Hi Ms. Johnson. Remember Me?" after he digs up his former school teacher. And then we get these stupid, not to mention nosy neighbors of his that end up saying things to him like: "We'll, mother thinks you should get married and by darn that's what she thinks." We also get to see the hillbilly parents two loser sons. The youngest one looks to be about 12 and for some strange reason had his name removed from the credits, even though he has speaking parts in the two different scenes. Something tells me he might be one of the director's sons. The other idiot is about 20ish and is the kind of lowlife you'd just smash in the face because he thinks he's funny. There's hardly any murders in this film and the ending is real cheap. The only good thing I liked about this movie was the narrator, some local reporter on the beat. For those who've seen that masterpiece horror film Texas CHAINSAW MASSACRE, and have yet to see this, skip it.

Score, 2 out of 10 Stars

Dead Bang (1989)
Don Johnson's Last Good Outing, 20 April 2005

WARNING: SPOILERS Don Johnson's career has tanked ever since this movie came out. Directed by legendary filmmaker John Frankenheimer, it's based on a real life case. Johnson plays Jerry Beck, your typical modern day, middle-aged detective who's divorced, wears cheap glasses and lives in an apartment building. When a patrolman is gunned down on the mean streets of Los Angeles by a white supremacist, Crockett, I mean Beck takes it personally. But here's where it get's real interesting. When the racist bails out of town, Beck decides to go after him, even though he's out of his jurisdiction. Then to make things even worse, we're saddled with Gary Chang's awful score, which sounds like it belongs in a Walt Disney movie. Wan't more bad news? Beck ends up in small hick town that has a police force of a about seven cops that are all black! Who wrote this script, Fred Williamson? But none of this is why I'm mad. What get's me so mad is that the fat guy with the beard (Mickey Jones), doesn't even get to say one line in the entire movie, even though we see him shooting off Mac-10's behind computer terminals! For those of you who are familiar with this guy and have seen him in other movies, he'll make you laugh unintentionally. This movie was real let down. There was one unexpectedly hilarious scene when Beck is up for a review hearing with a psychiatrist who does look like Woody Allen.

Score, 6 out of 10 Stars

Another Interesting Idea Ruined By An Awful Script, 20 April 2005

Shame on Carlos Laszlo for giving us this cheap, pathetic, un-realistic screenplay. He must of seen American Gothic one too many times. When you watch a movie that shows a guy wearing a hospital gown and Plexiglas cap hitchhiking along the California freeway, then you know the film has got serious problems. You'd expect a little more effort from Monte Hellman. I don't know what he was thinking here, but this piece of trash fails miserably. Notice when Chop-Top Moseley smashes through doors, the wood seems to be about a quarter of inch thick. It makes you wonder why this movie didn't win an Oscar. The series went down the drain from here and was never the same again. The only two good things I like about the film are the night conversations between Robert Culp and Richard Beymer, and Eric DaRe, son of the late, lamented Aldo Ray. He looks like you're typical late 80's hair band guitarist. The guy is just un-intentionally hilarious. Followed by SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT 4: INITIATION Score, 3 out of 10 Stars

"I Told You To Get Out", 20 April 2005

Man, did you see the look on that orderly's face when Eric Freeman started going off on the psychiatrist? Then the shrink get's mad at the black guy for just doing his job. As I said in my review for Part 1, I like 2 better because it covers the whole story. Freeman looks like a meaner, more angrier version then his older brother was. He's a horrible actor, but then that's why his career bombed. Is this movie chilling? No. Is it funny? Yes. It rolls along at a quick pace and only seems to slow down when eyebrows and James Newman are chatting away in the quiet room. I found it so absurd and un-realistic how 'brows just "walks" right out of the mental hospital. It was interesting to see that Jean Miller, who played Mother Superior, was murdered in real life, not to mention on Halloween! Followed by SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT 3: BETTER WATCH OUT!

Score, 6 out of 10 Stars

"You Will Learn Gratitude!", 20 April 2005

Damn right you will. Oh man, I don't even know where to start with this one. First of all, shame on the theaters for not showing this movie on December 25th. That was the whole purpose in making it, but the idiots buckled because of protests. In a way, that only gave the film more publicity. I even remember seeing an article in People magazine about that when the movie came out in late 1984. Believe it or not but this was not the first movie to deal with a homicidal Kris Kringle. 1980's TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT was the very first, followed later that year by YOU BETTER WATCH OUT. But if you're looking for the real hack 'em up then SNDN is you're choice. At times the movie is depressing, bringing into it the often used child abuse theme which is so common in these films. The cinematography by Henning Schellerup is breathtaking as we see the Utah landscape during the winter. Director Charles E. Sellier Jr. does an O.K. job in the chill-factor department, but this movie is no FORCED ENTRY. One actor who I found very amusing here was Britt Leach. I've seen this guy in other movies and he just makes me laugh most of the time with that potato face of his. If you haven't seen this movie yet, then I recommend watching the sequel instead. You'll see why. Followed by SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT PART 2.

Score, 5 out of 10 Stars

Fighting Back (1982/I)
"And You Better Stay Out Of Other People's Affairs, You Understand?", 20 April 2005

Chalk this one right up there with MEAN STREETS and DEATH WISH, this film needs to be rediscovered by audiences because it's just too real. The story revolves around a Philadelphia deli owner played by Tom Skerritt who's sick of his neighborhood degenerating into a crime battered war zone. Deciding to form a a Guardian Angels-type citizen's patrol, he get's in hot water with the local politician's, police and even the the Italian mob, not to mention sadistic pimp Pete Ricahrdson and his crew. Richardson looks like the twin brother of another black actor, Nick Savage. I'm looking forward to seeing him in KING BLANK. For those viewers who like solid street crime movies, Fighting Back is a good choice. It shows south Philadelphia as a slum just like it is in real life. Good night score by Pierro Piccolinni while Ronnie Laws' little sister Debra appears on the soundtrack singing Meant For You and How Long.

Score, 10 out of 10 Stars

"Well Give Him A Hand, Rob!", 20 April 2005

WARNING: SPOILERS

That John Denver looking dude with the cheesy glasses had me cracking up whenever he said something during the movie, which unfortunately didn't happen very often. That's what they should have done, just have him mouthing off lines left and right and this movie would've been nominated in 1988 for best comedy of the year. Unfortunately, that didn't happen either. This movie just flat out sucks and here's why: the idea of having modern day people stumble across a time warp was a very interesting idea. But the screenplay by Burt Wetanson and Michael Vines kills it. For example, when the "gang" land on the island with their seaplane during engine trouble, their captain Mark Ericksen tries to fix it. O.K. cool. Then he says, "There's power there, but the instruments won't respond." Right. These idiots have a flare gun but don't shoot off a distress signal right away, which is what they should be doing. Then hotshot Ericksen tells John Denver, I mean Stephen Shellen, "I think we better check out this island and see what we can find, but you stay here with the plane until we get back." Stay here with the plane until we get back? Yeah, like someones gonna come along and steal their plane after it's broken down in the middle of nowhere.But John Denver agrees, which makes this movie un-realistic right off the bat. To make events more unbelievable, they then leave the yuppie back at the plane for the next two days while they're hanging out at Ma and Pa's house! That's why I was laughing out loud when he showed up dead later in the rowboat. In a way though, you gotta feel sorry for these B-actors who get these lousy scripts. The screen writers ruin good ideas and make jokes out of people's careers. That's why whenever you look at some of these actors resumes, they only appear in a certain number of movies and then disappear. One thing I did like about the movie was the photography by Harvey Harrison which at times is breathtaking. Even that nice shot of Seattle is cool. Too bad there's nothing else about this movie to recommend.

Score, 2 out of 10 Stars