Reviews written by
clockwork8812

Page 2 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

"Can I Set You Up With An Entire Ensemble?", 20 April 2005

Oh man, that scene had me rolling on the carpet. Something tells me that queer salesman was no actor and that was a real men's clothing store. As for the rest of the movie, what can you say about Dan Grimaldi? The guy nails down the deranged role to a tee. The look on his face when he sees his mother has died in the upstairs bedroom is classic insanity. What makes this movie so special is that it features the most gruesome murder scene ever filmed on camera! For those who've seen the film, you know what I'm talking about. For those who haven't, you're in for a real shock. There was one scene where I felt like I was being hypnotized. The flower shop girl is in Grimaldi's house staring at some kind of Oriental tiger decoration while the score turns to psychedelia. Director Joseph Ellison sets a dark and cheesy mood for the entire film which is further enhanced by Richard Einhorn's chilling score. The music during the opening credits was very similar to 1982's SILENT RAGE. The child abuse theme this film represents is very potent and at times disturbing. Love the disco soundtrack.

Score, 7 out of 10 Stars

Dirty Harry Goes To Atlanta, 18 December 2004

That's how Burt Reynolds describes this film, which happens to be his best ever. He plays Tom Sharky, a vice detective who's on the trail of an international mobster (Vittorio Gassman) and the man he's financing to be the next governor of Georgia (Earl Holliman). In the novel by William Diehl, the story is more complex because the guy's running for president. This is a very long movie that feels more like three hours instead of two. The filming in downtown Atlanta and the Peachtree Plaza hotel sets the mood just right for the story. Reynolds doesn't do much laughing in this one compared to his comedy films. He's very serious here, especially in the beginning of the movie because he gets demoted for a dope bust that goes wrong. At times though, the movie plays more like a voyeuristic drama than a crime film with Burt trying to get close to the mobster's woman. Only towards the end of the film does the violence get cranked up that leads to the bang bang climax. Just like the great jazz score in DIRTY HARRY by Lalo Schifrin, Sharky's Machine features an excellent urban jazz soundtrack with many guest stars including Chet Baker, Julie London, Flora Purim & Buddy De Franco, The Manhattan Transfer, Doc Severinson, Sarah Vaughan and Joe Williams. Al Capps handles the score with magic. This movie has become one of the best crime dramas ever. Check it out.

Score, 8 out of 10 Stars

Best Car Chase Ever Filmed, 14 December 2004

What you saw in BULLITT and THE FRENCH CONNECTION is nothing compared to what you have here. The chase goes on for nearly 15 minutes and is the best you'll ever see. This movie has become a classic crime drama from the heyday of 70's film-making. It's a gritty and realistic portrayal of the mean streets of New York City. Featuring one of the slickest wise guys ever put on screen, Tony Lo Bianco's behavior in this movie is cool as ice. He's ripping off his own associates and making it look like the police are responsible. His childhood friend, Roy Scheider, is a street detective who becomes puzzled by the disappearances of the mobsters. You can tell that Lo Bianco's enjoying the game throughout the movie. At times though, the film gets dull, but then right when you feel like giving up on it, something big happens and it pulls you back in. The score by Don Ellis sets the tone of the cold, gray wintertime in New York City and to top it all off, my man Joe Spinell shows up in an early role as Toredano the garage man.

Score, 7 out of 10 Stars

Ultra-Realistic And Very Underrated, 10 December 2004

This will always be my favorite show from the 90's. You could feel the street life radiating from the TV screen whenever this show came on Thursday nights at 10pm. Man, it was good, and so were all the characters we saw throughout the six years it ran. My favorite was Yaphet Kotto. The man was born for these types of roles. I also enjoyed watching Daniel Baldwin and Richard Belzer. At times there were conversations or arguments between the characters that were unintentionally hilarious and had me rolling on the floor. You gotta give credit to director Barry Levinson with all these Baltimore stories we get from him. Remember DINER? I wish this show was still on TV. After all, LAW AND ORDER is still running, which by the way was my second favorite show of the 90's. Thanks to all involved with the releasing of the DVD series.

Red Alert (1977) (TV)
Average At Best, 10 December 2004

Not bad, but it's not as good as THE CHINA SYNDROME which has intensity and at times is chilling. William Devane is the whole show here as he tries to save the day at a nuclear power plant in Minnesota. It's your basic mid 70's disaster pic. And guess who plays the bad guy? None other than ole' Jim Siedow of Texas CHAINSAW MASSACRE, sporting a beard which makes him hard to recognize. Ralph Waite of THE WALTONS also shows up as a big shot government boss who has a beef going with Devane. Although the story takes place in Minnesota, it was filmed in Texas. Siedow made all his movies down there because thats where he lived.

Forget It, 25 November 2004

This is now the second movie I've seen this year from Fred Willamson that sucked. The first was ONE DOWN, TWO TO GO back in April. While all of these movies are action oriented, the problem is there's no budget, which makes viewing these films a cheap thrill. Here in the cast we get John Saxon, Richard Roundtree, Ed Lauter, Bruce Glover and Joe Spinell, yet the whole affair feels like it was shot on a home video recorder. With a solid cast like that, you keep telling yourself, if only they had a bigger budget, then things would've really been rocking. But there are other flaws that hamper this movie besides the cheap budget. The dialogue. Throughout the entire movie, there are instances where it makes no sense. For example, when Williamson is suspended by the Chicago PD Internal Affairs division because the narcs never recovered a million dollars after a drug bust, Ed Lauter tells him to hand in his gun, but not his badge. And to top things off, Roundtree disappears midway through the movie never to be heard from again. There are so many other instances like this that bog the whole film down, you're better off just watching a re-run of HILL STREET BLUES. On a lighter note, there are a couple times during the film when we get to see real life musicians, like Ramsey Lewis and a soul group whose dressed in white suits with red bow ties that might be the Mac Band. Jay Chattaway's score is once again above par.

Score, 3 out of 10 Stars

"There Are No Crazy People Doctor. We're All Just On Vacation.", 12 November 2004

That is an actual quote by Jack Palance in this film when he's chatting with Dwight Schultz. First off, this movie is underrated. No way does it deserve a bomb like it got from Leonard Maltin. Since it's low budget and focuses on nuts escaping from an asylum, it automatically gets stereotyped as being without credence. Forget all that. You'll be surprised how intelligent the dialouge is in this movie, especially the first half hour where Schultz and Donald Pleasance talk about psychiatry and how to treat insane people. Watching Pleasance after all these years just reminds me once again what a great actor this he was. I always enjoyed listening to him talk. It didn't matter what he would say, just listening to him sounded melancholy and nostalgic. As expected, there are a few plot holes and the movie is not really that frightening, except for the a few scenes towards the end. It's interesting watching Schultz play such a normal character because most of us remember him from THE A-TEAM as a kooked out Vietnam vet playing alongside Mr. T All in all, it's a decent early 80's horror flick with a good cast that has a neat surprise ending. Check it out just for curiosities sake.

Cover Up At The Looney Bin, 4 November 2004

Although this movie falls into the horror genre, it's so rare because throughout the first hour it explores state mental hospitals and policies regarding the release of patients. In most other horror flix they'll show an asylum from time to time but here we get to see the shrinks having conferences. The dialouge between the doctors sounds very realistic. There trying to figure what to do because by computer error, a dangerous psychotic was released instead of a not so dangerous patient who had a similar name. This whole story is interesting because it was written by author and Vietnam veteran Nelson DeMille. And just when you think you've figured out the motive for the murders, a neat twist comes at you right before the movie ends.

The guy who plays the psycho, Solly Marx, is a stunt man in real life and does a great job here of acting insane. He swings a sledgehammer around as if it were a pool cue and stares at Belinda Montgomery with a sick, twitching look on his face. The security guard at the college who was down in the basement looked like the black guy from SLAUGHTER HIGH. As for the rest of the cast, Belinda Montgomery plays Dr. Joan Gilmore who is trying to find Marx before he murders more girls at the college. David Greenan is a local reporter for the town newspaper that helps her out. It's odd that Greenan has not done any acting since 1986. He looks like a decent actor here, so I really can't figure out why he didn't make more movies. As for Montgomery, I've never liked her. She's not a bad actress, but she's just not likable, no matter what she's in. I've seen her in Miami VICE playing Don Johnson's ex wife and on other TV movies, but she always comes across as cold and uptight, taking things too personally and not smiling enough.

This movie needs to be rediscovered by those that like good, solid mysteries. I'm sure it'll get a DVD release with all the toppings sometime in the future. The film was shot in 3D and on the VHS tape, you can see where some of those scenes must've looked real good at the cinema. The keyboard score is chilling at the right times. If it wasn't for the low budget, I'd give this movie a higher rating. As it is, I'm still recommending it.

Buckley In His Prime, 16 October 2004

Starting back in 1966, Bill Buckley was just getting started with his career in journalism and this show would go on for 33 years. Amazing. I watched it from 1981 to '99 right when Bill Clinton was impeached and on trial in the Senate. Buckley was a great host. Sly, cunning and smart. He would always ask the right questions. The only reason the show ended was because Buckley retired. You can't blame him. The man had a great run with this show. I just wish someone else would've taken over as host when the show ended. I know it wouldn't of been the same without Bill, but it still would've kept it going to this day. My God, has there been another talk show that's been on for 33 years or longer? The answer is no, although Ted Koppel's NIGHTLINE has been going on now for a solid 24. I wonder if Bill O'Reilly will be on for 33 years like Buckley was?

Man's Wedding Present, 16 October 2004

WARNING: SPOILERS

One of the best horror movies of all-time, it really needs a special DVD release with all the toppings so it can be rediscovered by horror fans. The last release they gave it in '99 was awful because they edited all the brutal parts out. My review is based on the 1982 Media VHS version. If you've been reading the reviews for this film so far by others, pay no attention to them. This is a real chiller that will shock you. It has been unfairly maligned by feminists who don't like these movies in the first place and had already made up their minds before they even saw it! There's hardly any blood in this movie at all. The murders aren't committed with a knife or a gun. They are all stranglings based on two real life cases that were happening in Los Angeles during the late 70's, Lawrence Bittaker with Roy Norris and Ken Bianchi with Angelo Bouno. The movie is also based on the novel Nightline by Michael Curtis. Nicholas Worth does a good job portraying the demented Vietnam veteran. It's one of the most closest to realistic psycho roles you'll ever see. We know all along that he's the maniac prowling the mean streets of L.A. The scene where he's in his living room talking to his stepfather is hilarious. James Westmoreland as the detective on the case actually tries to fight Worth in one scene where he ends up getting body slammed into a couch! Not to be missed. The score by Byron Allred is chilling and effective. There's one scene in the film midway through that shows Dodger Stadium in the background. And not to be outdone, Porky shows up as a photography manager. For those who haven't seen this, it's time to check it out.

Score, 8 out of 10 Stars