spmact

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Not bad. I enjoyed watching it., 1 October 2017

I read the terrible reviews on here but then thought I'd watch it anyway just to form my own opinion. I'm glad I did.

Maybe this movie isn't for everyone. It certainly isn't a comedy, though I did laugh a couple times. It has more of an indie drama feel, with some charm thrown in. Something along the lines of (500) Days of Summer, but not quite as good. I think Justin and Cobie played their parts well, and I also liked John Cho as the cliché best bud telling the main character what he needs to hear.

I may have liked it more than most, perhaps because I've been there. I've had multiple girlfriends marry the next guy, and I've even attended one of the weddings, so it was nice to see that story played out on screen from through person's eyes. I could definitely empathize with the main character, but even if you've never experienced the same thing, I'm sure many people have had a similar experience of everything going wrong for them in the relationship department, or having feelings for someone and trying not to show it.

In the end I don't think it was an unforgettable movie, but I don't regret watching it at all. It was also cool to see the ending parallel another very famous movie ending but in a different way, and the video playing over the end credits brought a nice conclusion to the story.

The Mummy (2017)
The hate is undeserved, 2 September 2017

Based on all the bad reviews I was worried this would suck, but I have to say that while it wasn't as good/charming as the 90s mummy movie, it wasn't bad either. Cruise's character was likable, and while his arc wasn't that deep, it didn't really need to be. The mummy actress impressed me more than I expected, since I didn't really like her that much in Kingsman. People said that this spent too much time setting up the following movies, but I didn't think that was the case. There were small seeds planted, but save for the ending and lack of background for Jekyll, this felt self contained enough. Overall the movie had some fun action sequences and decent characters, and made for an enjoyable popcorn flick. I do not regret watching it.

What a mess. Basically disregards previous films. Not a fitting end to the series., 13 August 2017

Where do I even start? I was looking forward to this instalment and had hope that this would be a nice farewell for Alice and her story. While the past films were never what I'd call "quality" cinema, they were a guilty pleasure and fun to watch. This film undoes much of that.

It basically disregards what happens in the previous movies and tries to rewrite the past. What happened to the cool setup at the end of the last movie? Nothing, that's what. What happened to Wesker's powers? Gone. What happened to Alice's powers? She still has the T-virus but it basically does nothing for her. She's the same as she was in the last movie when she didn't have them. It also changes who the creator of the red queen was and what happened to him. It's as if the writer didn't like what was done in the previous movies and wanted his own take on the story instead. But wait a second, it was the same writer!

Don't even get me started on the editing. Every action sequence is just a series cuts so fast that can't tell what the heck is happening until it's over. This is a movie you watch for the action sequences. Why butcher them like that?

The ending is also disappointment. It tries to be clever with its twists and reveals but you see them coming the whole time. It undoes any of the weight that Alice's sacrifice would have had. Just lazy writing throughout.

I wanted to give it a lower than 6 score, but Iain Glen's performance kept me from doing so. He was the best part of the movie - even though his inclusion in the film was just as lazy as the rest of the movie. No doubt they wanted to bring him back because of his success on Game of Thrones, but not even he could save this film.

I normally love Edgar Wright, but this disappointed me in the end. His weakest film., 4 July 2017

I have enjoyed all of Edgar Wright's movies since Shaun of the Dead, and he has made one of my all time favourites (Scott Pilgrim), so I was pretty excited about this one. I went into it clean, without seeing any trailers, and was convinced purely by word of mouth and the director's track record. All I knew is that it as about some kind of heist and a great driver. I bought into the hype and was looking for another winner from Wright.

It started off great, with engaging action and an intriguing story. It had some good potential, but it fell apart for me in the third act. The characters did things you wouldn't expect them to, and I was left wondering "what was the point of all this?". It had some of the feeling of Pulp Fiction to me (great visuals and style, and you're rooting for a guy trying to get out of a bad situation he's found himself in with criminals), but it fizzled out in the end.

It wasn't a bad movie per se, but I expected more from Wright. In the end it was his weakest film to me, and I don't think it's one I'd recommend.

Felt like a Saturday morning cartoon. Oh wait, it basically was., 3 April 2017

I hadn't seen Aladdin since I was a kid, and decided to give it another shot. It still holds up, and I still enjoyed it as an adult.

I had heard about the sequel, but not much beyond the fact that it existed and was straight to home video. I decided to give it a shot after becoming enamoured with the first again, since I was curious if it was actually that bad. Well, the answer is yes. I read that it was basically taken from what was meant to be TV episodes, and it really shows. It feels like a TV kids cartoon, with weak story (with built in predictable TV tropes) and forgettable songs.

It might be OK for little kids dying for more Aladdin after seeing the first, but I'm not even sure if all of them would enjoy it.

In the end it wasn't completely horrible, but it was a pretty disappointing sequel. While the second film is rarely as good as the first, this one felt like a soul-less cash grab made without the love that was put into the original.

Logan (2017)
Wolverine and Professor X get old, sick and depressing, 4 March 2017

I wasn't that interested in seeing this after being disappointed by the last Wolverine movie and finding out that this was by the same director. Then I saw all these reviews praising this as a great film, and I thought I might like it.

After seeing it, I don't see what all the hype was about. Does making a movie dark and depressing make it good? Personally I didn't need to see Wolverine Professor X all washed up, old and sick. Sure, it's "real", but I don't go to a super hero movie to see that kind of thing.

There was some great action, and it was fun to see Wolverine not held back by a PG-13 rating, but there were too many plot holes and things that were inconsistent with previous things established about Wolverine. I did like what they did with the comic book references though.

Ultimately it was just OK, and ranks somewhere in the middle of all X-Men movies for me.

It's sad when the best part of the movie was the Deadpool teaser before it.

Masterminds (2016/I)
Not that bad. Made me laugh enough to make it worth watching., 8 January 2017

If you look at just the cast you'll expect more, but it's still not as bad as many make it out to be. It's a good movie for when you just need a good laugh and you don't need the movie to be sophisticated or deep. Did I think it was a particularly good movie? No. Did it make me laugh out loud? Yes, plenty of times. There are a couple gross out humour moments, but not that many. It's mostly just silly jokes.

I wouldn't go to the theatre to see this, but it's a good one to catch on Netflix or something. I don't regret watching it, because I got what I expected out of it: A forgettable movie with a bunch of laughs.

The fact that it was based on a true story (though I'm sure they changed a bunch of details) only makes it more interesting.

The BFG (2016)
Simply Delightful, 15 December 2016

First off, I'm not a huge children's movie fan, but this one was just so charming and cute I couldn't help but like it. The real star is the BFG. The funny way he talks and the emotions on his face really made the movie for me. The little girl does a pretty good job as well.

This isn't the kind of movie you watch for the story. It's simple enough, but does the job. It's more for the interaction between the girl and the giant, and in that department the movie delivers. Sure there were some childish jokes, but there were plenty of other moments that made me laugh out loud without involving body functions.

I don't get why so many people hated on this movie. Where they expecting Schindler's List? This wasn't that kind of Spielberg Movie. It was more about the interaction of a child and magical friend, akin to ET - and while it may not be quite as good, I still got a lot of enjoyment out of it. If you don't think you're going to be a stick in the mud about it, go ahead and give it a watch. You might end up being surprised at how much you like it, just like I was.

Respectable movie by a brave filmmaker looking to the future (review of 120fps version), 2 December 2016

I was finally able to see the film in 4k & 120fps (2D) a couple days ago. The clarity was stunning, if a bit unnerving at the start. At times I actually found myself distracted by how clear the picture was; in one instance focusing more on the clarity of detail in the fabric of Chris Tucker's blazer than the lines he was saying.

Even as a fan of HFR, I will admit that it felt out of place towards the beginning, which had mostly dialogue scenes. It made the picture feel somewhat less cinematic - somewhat, as people say, too real. And that's just the thing; it's not about the quality of the image as it is what we've become used to seeing in theatres. On the other hand, the war time scenes definitely benefited more from the higher frame rate, as it made them feel decidedly more real - in a good way. After a while however, I became accustomed to the frame rate and while I still appreciated the clarity and lack of judder, I was able to focus more on the story - which I liked! Not loved, however.

As for the film itself, I appreciated seeing it from the perspective of a soldier trying to get used to being back in the US after such a life changing experience, and at the same time being paraded around for other people's gain. I appreciated how Lee played out the story through flashbacks, and gave the audience progressively greater detail into the struggle the main character is going through while trying to come to grips with conflicting loyalties to his family and his fellow soldiers, and at the same time trying to see if people see him as Billy the war hero, or Billy the pure-hearted kid from small town Texas.

All in all, I'm definitely glad I was able to see it in 120fps - and that Lee had the courage to shoot it like that. It's a shame it got such a backlash from those who have a platform to write about it in published form. I for one definitely want to see more films in 120fps, especially more action oriented and sci-fi ones. I feel that the future is being held back with very few HFR films, and while slower movies might benefit more from a variable frame rate, it's not something Hollywood should stop experimenting with. If nothing else, it's something that can't really be reproduced at home right now.

Madhouse (1974)
I wanted to see a good Vincent Price movie. This wasn't it., 22 November 2016

I thought this might be a good example of the great classic Vincent Price horror movie. Given the fact that Peter Cushing was also in it, I was definitely on board. The two do great jobs, but it was just a bad story. The direction was good at parts, for some I had to wonder what the director was thinking. It's as if he made the movie for grade-schoolers. It's full of plot holes, convenient occurrences and things people would never do. The ending was uninspired and predictable, but also confusing. At the end of the day, I can't recommend this movie - even with the great actors in it.

I'm only giving it 6/10 out of respect for Price. Otherwise it would be lower.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]