TJMBuddlake

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

RoboCop (2014)
RoboCop Revisited, 5 March 2014

I'll admit that the original Robocop movie was a hit among fans but to me it was just an OK sci-fi superhero flick. Now, we flash forward to this reboot. Same elements but something to me just felt different. The whole world except the United States has accepted this project of Robotic Cops. Detroit has become a utopia instead of a dystopia like in the 80s flick and not to mention the whole Detroit going Bankrupt crap! Plus, the Robocop suit was different, it was black instead of the silver suit we all were familiar with.

Anyways, it was a decent reboot, I mean there were some moments that had me scratching my head. The cast was OK, the special effects were decent and the story was almost similar to the original. I kinda expected more for a reboot. I mean, not a shoot for shoot remake but it worked. What I didn't like was the suit, and the clichéd mobster villain. I think what would make this movie better is exposition like others have mentioned. Expand upon the villain, maybe take away the clichés and make him more like the original villain from the 80s. And maybe focus on the political background of why Robo-technology would not work in the United States of the Future? (Maybe Barack Apu Obama had something to do with it).

Overall, I give this movie a 6 out of 10. It could be better. I would recommend this to Robocop fans if they just give it a chance.

A good interpretation of 2 billionaires, 30 May 2013

I remember watching this movie back in high school for a business class. While I paid good attention to this, everyone else couldn't give 2 shits about this movie. Now, I watched it again a few years later (as in this year), it still has a good story of how these 2 moguls rose to the top. Noah Wyle and Anthony Michael Hall did phenomenal jobs, playing Bill Gates and Steve Jobs respectively. I also liked the fact that most of the story was told from Steve Wozniak's POV. The big mind blow for me was that John DiMaggio played Steve Ballmer! Who would've thunk that DiMaggio, one of the best voice actors in the world, played a minor role in the story of Bill Gates. Anyway, the movie had its ups and downs. It's no Oscar winner by any means but a worthwhile tale. There was a moment that just had me scratching my head for some reason. Just that aside, this movie gets my overall score of 7 out of 10.

Awesome Trek, 25 May 2013

Before I dive into the movie, I just want to admit that I'm not that big of a Trek fan. I am familiar with the movies and to be honest, Wrath of Khan and Search for Spock were movies I remember watching and liked. I consider myself a sci-fi fan, a fan of just science fiction. Trek, Star Wars, and whatnot, I don't care. Anyway, when going into seeing this movie, for some reason, Wrath of Khan was stuck in my head. As the movie went on, I awed and laughed. The story was good, the cast did a phenomenal job, the effects were good and practically everything else was just solid. Of course, then came the moments where it finally dawned on me that this like a pseudo remake of Wrath of Khan. I was a little upset but putting that aside, this movie was in my opinion just as good as the other. Abrams did a phenomenal job of creating a stellar movie to add to the Star Trek Franchise. It is by far better than TNG saga (Generations, Insurrection, First Contact and Nemesis). Replay value is slightly above average if I want to see this again in theaters or wait until DVD release. Overall, I give this an 8 out of 10.

A Rock Solid Action Flick, 2 April 2013

Of all the action flicks this year so far, this and Die Hard 5 have to be tied for no. 1. Olympus has Fallen is pretty much a story that something Tom Clancy would have written. Yet, it wasn't something of Tom Clancy and this turned out pretty damn good. The story was interesting (considering the recent events in Korea). The cast was good and the action was pretty intense.This is pretty much the combination of Tom Clancy meets Die Hard in an OK way. There were moments where I laughed and when I awed. Yet there were 2 things that slipped my mind and made me question the movie. Number 1 SPOILER/PLOTHOLE: How is it possible for a ex Secret Serviceman to somehow know a combination to a safe hidden behind a portrait in the Oval Office? Number 2 PLOTHOLE: The Koreas have captured the President and the cabinet, they killed off the VP and SoD is let go which leaves the Treasurer and Attorney General. When they fake the deaths of the President and his cabinet in the getaway chopper, they cut back to the safe bunker and those 2 are nowhere to be seen, What the hell happened to them? Despite those 2 complaints, Olympus has Fallen is a rock solid action flick and I'd definitely recommend anyone to see this if they are into what I consider rock solid flicks. Overall 8 out of 10.

Spaceballs (1987)
Best Comedy spoof EVER!!!, 11 January 2013

Space balls is just one movie that has the laughable presence every time I watch it. The lines are memorable and the cast is great. Mel Brooks is a comic genius. He brings it every time to the silver screen. Blazing Saddles and Men in Tights are both laughable masterpieces and Brooks succeeds with Space Balls. What else can be said about this movie? The story is a spoof of Star Wars, the sets and effects are just outrageous and good. Everything about this movie is just a top notch sci- fi spoof. Funny lines are everywhere as well as any sci-fi tribute or spoof. Brooks himself does a good job playing duel roles as both a villain in Pres. Skroob and hero in Yogurt. Bill Pullman plays the Han Solo/Luke Skywalker role pretty good and his lines and dialogue with John Candy were just a good combination in putting this movie over the top. John Candy was another factor that made this movie great as it is. Anyway, this is one Mel Brooks movie that shouldn't be overlooked and a must have to anyone's movie collection. Overall, 8 out of 10.

Titan A.E. (2000)
A great flick and my personal favorite, 3 December 2012

At first when I heard about this movie, I was hesitant in going to see it. I wanted about a year and I finally got the confidence to sit down and watch this movie. Now, I love it! Despite how it did in theaters, I thought it was a masterpiece. Not the best animated flick but good all around. The story was good, the animation was amazing and the voice acting was pretty damn good. Matt Damon, Drew Barrymore and Bill Pullman all did great jobs bringing their characters to life in this post apocalyptic, beyond the stars adventure. What I really liked about this movie was the music. It was bad-ass! Music from LIT, and Powerman 5000 just put it over the top for me. I was a little disappointed like everyone else, no Creed was on the soundtrack nor Vertical Horizon. There were a few moments that I thought didn't fit or just didn't like but the presentation is great! My hats go to the Animators (even though the studio is no more) Overall, 8 out of 10.

Skyfall (2012)
A very good Bond!, 22 November 2012

I happened to catch Skyfall last night and all I kept thinking was that somehow this Bond would be inferior to QoS. I was totally wrong! It was actually pretty damn good.

The car chases were great, the story was good, the action crisp and the villain was just...something. Javier Bardem did a great job as a villain. There was just an interesting presence about him. It just made his character become more along the lines of a Super- Villain. He's no Blofeld, but hey he did a great job.

Daniel Craig with his stoic Bond behavior did a good job playing out the legendary agent. However, I felt he was getting tired of this role and the fact that this was it, the conclusion of the Bond saga. The bond women, I was questioning. The theory that the 1st girl usually dies but here, the bond theory is broken! That blew me away but what really made me happy, the Aston Martin DB5 is back! (Thank you Top Gear for that one)

All of those just blew my mind and I left the theater happy. All of these factors made this Bond a stunning conclusion to the 50 year saga. There were a few minor details that I didn't appreciate but overall, Skyfall gets my approval. Overall, 8 out of 10.

An Average Action flick, 22 September 2012

One in the Chamber, i can sum it up in a few ways. Its not that bad, its an average action flick with a few good and bad things. The things I liked about it was the good cast. Gooding Jr. and Lundgren make a somewhat good duo. The action sequences were good, I think they could have been slightly better. The story was a lil confusing to me but after a moment, I was able to figure it out. Its a mind-bending scenario. The things I didn't like about it was the clichés that I obviously saw coming. Like one point, I knew something unexpected was going to happen. Either a drive-by shooting or a car bombing. The love angle, I just didn't get. It was not thorough and poorly executed, in my opinion. Overall, Its a average action movie. With a few clichés here and there. I recommend this to anyone that just enjoys a lil action flick every once in a while. Replay value for me is moderate and I'd still enjoy it. Overall 6 out of 10.

A Nolan Masterpiece, 14 August 2012

OK, before I review this movie, I want to do a quick recap of Batman. The first Batman with Michael Keaton was a phenomenal movie that defined Burton's career. Batman Returns was an OK sequel despite having a dark setting. Batman Forever was a somewhat inferior addition to Batman, (That one I was on the fence between loving it or hating it), Batman and Robin was HORRIBLE. Suddenly, Nolan comes along and makes Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and this one. Somehow they all topped the other Batman films. This one was no exception. This has got to be the most greatest conclusion of the Nolan Batman trilogy. The story was great, the characters were good, and everything was just on par with the best formula for a Great Movie! Christian Bale still defined his role as Gotham's hero and billionaire n resident. Tom Hardy played Bane really well, although the voice just seemed a little out of tone and out of place. Anne Hathaway did a great job playing Catwoman, even though I felt she was an odd addition but hey, she's a great actress. Anyway, this was just a remarkable movie and possibly the best movie of 2012 so far!!! I felt wowed, I cheered a little and I almost came to tears because it was just so damn good. Nolan brought my favorite DC Hero to life in the 3 movies that were made. He deserves to be considered a Hollywood Icon. This movie gets my overall score of 10!

Priest (2011)
A Sac-religious Action Flick, 6 August 2012

It took me a while to finally sit down and say something about this movie. I actually liked it! The story was interesting, the acting was good and pretty much was better what some people would have expected. Now, let me clear things up, I'm a Catholic. I believe in God and all things established by the church but this movie just makes it so Sac-religious that it just kind of blows it out of proportion. A Futuristic Utopian Catholic society and a war against Vampires. OK, I like the representation, The Priests are the angels of God and the Vampires are minions of Satan. I'm not bashing this movie at all. i'm just concerned that any bible thumpers would look at this movie and say that this a bad representation of Religion and try to ban this movie. This movie was not meant to poke or make fun of Religion. It was just an idea to portray the classic Good v Evil archetype. Anyway, I recommend this movie to anyone who likes a good action flick and/or enjoys horror elements. Overall, 8 out of 10.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]