ruxandrasilvia

Captain Picard is the greatest achievement in TV history, 2 October 2012

Wonderful series! Star Trek The Next Generation is a rare gem. Something to treasure, especially today. Nothing in the world can compare to Patrick Stewart and his unforgettable portrayal of Captain Picard. Nothing can compare to Data's endeavors in his search for humanity. Nothing can come close to the holodeck fun and the adventures of the the Enterprise crew. Nothing can better reflect the best in mankind than Star Trek TNG.

Patrick Stewart's performance is splendid, and his passion and dedication shine through. Because he is such a principled man, Captain Picard could have easily been "too good to be true" in the hands of another actor. But Patrick Stewart makes him so believable, incredibly REAL, and more than that: he makes you want to be a better person - altruistic, compassionate and wise, just like him. He makes it all seem possible. After all, everything happens in an idealistic version of the future, and that version is POSSIBLE. Thank you, Gene Roddenberry, for sharing your dream with us! The beauty of your ideas makes the world a better place. The future belongs indeed to those who dare to dream.

I could write pages about the educational role that Star Trek TNG had on me and others growing up in the 90's. It was tremendous fun above all, and it will always be. I instantly feel better when I watch it- it IS great television! No other series or movies from the Star Trek franchise can compare to TNG. Everything is great, from the cast and scripts to the set designs, costumes, music and special effects (even the clumsy ones). And of course, whoever designed Captain Picard's shirts, those he wore off-duty, is a damn genius.

Cruising (1980)
Very good, surprising, 10 May 2012

I enjoyed this movie very much because it's funny, although I'm sure many would disagree. I wasn't expecting such "politically incorrect" approach, I found it quite shocking. Al Pacino is fearless and I wouldn't have watched "Cruising" if it wasn't for him and his cool performance.

Let me put it this way: the dance scene is worth alone seeing this movie. Many viewers complain about the lack of resolution and the ambiguity, but that's what makes it great in my opinion. The thin lines between cop and criminal, the infinite shades of sexual identity are very well drawn here.

"Cruising" is a must see for Al Pacino's fans and it's a classic. I hope they release the full version, as I'm very curious what we've missed.

The best Pacino role ever. Fabulous!, 10 May 2012

I must say this is my favorite Pacino movie. He OWNS it.

Al Pacino's sheer magnetism and almost super-natural innate charm, his imposing presence have never been so well used as in "Devil's Advocate". Clearly, he was born to play John Milton. Funny, seductive, menacing, Pacino steals the show from Keanu Reeves and everyone else, as expected.

There is a tension, a creepy vibe throughout the movie, thanks to a stylish and clever direction. There's a brief scene, of 2 minutes or so, when 6 characters are traveling together in an elevator. In these 2 minutes, every single character has something very interesting to do, and it's fascinating to watch those energies cross fire.

There's another scene where Al Pacino has a conversation with Charlize Theron about her haircut. That brief seduction scene is supreme because it's so well written and acted it turns into magic.

The script also has a sense of humor which is much appreciated. I never get tired of watching this movie, it's too entertaining.

"Your face is like the pale autumn moon"...., 10 May 2012

I wouldn't have guessed that Peter O'Toole has such a talent for comedy. Under a messy appearance, the movie, which is one of my favorites, has a clever and funny script. It's one of the best comments on marriage and monogamy, and it benefits from talented actors who, above all, seem to be having fun in their roles. Their enjoyment is transmitted to the viewers, and so it is a genuinely "feel-good" movie. Part sophisticated comedy, part slapstick, "What's New Pussycat" is a wild experience only for those with a strong sense of humor. It never fails to put me in a good mood. The soundtrack is fabulous!

Peter O'Toole in his gorgeous forest green jacket is unforgettable.

Al Pacino is splendid, 10 May 2012

Few characters in cinema history are so well defined, so memorable and fascinating as Col. Frank Slade, miraculously played by Al Pacino. Slade broke my heart, I'm not ashamed to admit it. I hate "three-hankys" and overly sentimental "chick flicks", so I kept avoiding "Scent of a Woman". When I've finally watched it recently, it didn't strike me as a "chick flick" though. Pacino's performance really moved me. He never lets the story slip into cheap sentimentalism, because his character is heart-wrenchingly real.

C. O'Donnel is bland and uninteresting, but that's the way it was meant for his character to be. He's only a catalyst for Slade, a blank book waiting to be written. After all, he's just a 17 year-old.

I love it when Hollywood is sending out a positive, moral message, even if the delivery is flawed. The ending of "Scent of a Woman" kinda spoils the story's realism, but nothing can diminish Pacino's brilliant performance.

Incredibly bad, 10 May 2012

The first question that came to mind when the "legendary" movie finally ended, was this: "Has everybody gone mad?". "The Godfather" is amazingly bad, start to finish. Al Pacino's talent is wasted in this sorry excuse for a film. No character development, no real plot, no redeeming value whatsoever! Just a bunch of low-life criminals and their self- importance. Fascinating, indeed!

There is no real conflict here, and nothing that viewers can relate to. The "mythical" figure of Marlon Brando is completely ridiculous. What is it that we're supposed to think is so great about this character? An arrogant murderer who speaks with cotton in his mouth. Big deal! Bad guys are fun when some good guys are there to challenge them.

There is no consistency in character development, if there ever was one in the first place. Michael Corleone suddenly turns, from an apparently moral person into a cold-blooded killer? You've got to be kidding...

The whole "family tradition" is meant to suggest that we're witnessing some kind of royalty saga. All these characters are despicable and one- dimensional, so why would I be interested in anything that happens to them? The level of violence is unacceptable, but I guess that makes for "edgy" cinema in the absence of artistic vision.

"The Godfather" must be the most overrated piece of trash cinema I've ever seen. It is a long, boring, disjointed and pathetic attempt to deliver an uninteresting story.

"I just want my ration of common humanity", 23 March 2012

Anyone who hasn't lived under a rock has heard about this film and Peter O'Toole's legendary performance. But it's only recently that I've finally seen it. This is simply the Greatest Film ever made, a stunning work of art. What impressed me most is how SUBTLE the film is, and how personal/introspective despite its grandeur.

Surprisingly, it turns out that it is possible after all to have a marvelous film about homosexuality and violence (among many other themes explored here) without characters spouting ad-nauseam words like "fu*k", "fag", "shit" and others like that, which are the "hallmark" of "edgy" cinema these days. Could you have imagined? I can only say, like Sheriff Ali: "The miracle is accomplished". No dirty talk, no gore, no obscenity, yet incredibly powerful and beautiful, a masterpiece on all accounts.

Possible spoilers ahead.

I was absolutely fascinated with the hero's psychology, so much that I had to watch the movie a couple of times. Those images of breath-taking magnificence and O'Toole's mesmerizing eyes lit from inside by his disconcerting turmoil never cease to amaze me. Has Lawrence "gone native"? Does he have a Messiah complex? Is he just suicidal? It's almost as if everything he does is an attempt to affirm his (sexual) identity. But who is he? Is he masculine? Is he feminine? Is he British? Is he an Arab? Is he homosexual? Or asexual? He seems unable to find his place, not sure on how to dress and how to act, shifting from egotistic grandeur to humility and back. His narcissistic rage goes from slight irritation ("Do you think that I'm just anybody, Ali?") to the famous "No prisoners!" episode. And then, there's the subtle masochistic streak throughout the movie, complicating Lawrence's contradictions even more. Never have I seen such a wonderful and subtle depiction of yearning for pain and adventure as the "match trick" cut to the desert sunrise. He starts his journey desperately wanting to be a desert hero, but he's acting like an enthusiastic tourist in an alien world that he's not able to fully understand (watch the sequence where going to battle, Lawrence hears for the first time the strange and haunting howling of distant Arabs).

The movie has a most interesting take on free will. Lawrence's vulnerability is made clear in the opening sequence, and multiple hints on fatality-destiny are made throughout the movie, with a Schopenhauer sound: man can do what he wants, be he cannot will what he wants.

The movie ends abruptly and there is no sense of conclusion, as Lawrence - used and abused, but not entirely innocent himself - is heading home. Where "home" is, he doesn't seem to know. The closing shot of Lawrence's face becoming indistinguishable behind the dusty windshield is incredibly frustrating, but closes the circle perfectly. I actually got closer to the TV screen, hoping to get a better look at him for an "explanation". A motorcycle ominously passes by, foreshadowing his sudden death... The man remains unknowable, and that is the film's maddening genius.

O'Toole and Sharif have superb chemistry together. But no matter how brooding and passionate Omar Sharif is, or how delightfully over-the-top Anthony Quinn is, it's Peter O'Toole who steals the show with his beauty and intensity. His eyes reflect the desert, the vast and mysterious landscape within, because "Lawrence of Arabia" is above all, an exquisite exploration of the mind.