renee0521

Shadow on the Mesa (2013) (TV)
A good old fashioned western, 30 March 2013

I've always loved westerns,and Shadow on The Mesa took me back to the westerns I grew up watching. The premise has Ray Eastman(Kevin Sorbo)fighting to keep his land out of the hands of wealthy rancher Peter Dowdy. In the midst of the war,he finds out about a son he never knew he had. That son,Wes Rawlins,comes to him to find out what he knows about the murder of his mother,Mary. They soon discover that her murder is tied to Dowdy's attempts to take Ray's land. It all ends in a old fashioned shoot-em up,much like the westerns of old. Sorbo gives a gut-wrenching performance as Eastman,who is waging a battle to keep his land for his children. The emotions he shows when he discovers that Wes is his son are very powerful. If you love westerns like I do,then you must watch this one!

The Santa Suit (2010) (TV)
CEO learns what Christmas is all about!, 21 December 2011

This is one of the best Christmas movies I have seen in a long time. It tells the story of Drake Hunter, a Scrooge CEO who learns a lesson about the Christmas spirit when he is magically transformed into a Santa lookalike. Kevin Sorbo gives an outstanding performance as Drake,showing him first as a jerk thinking only of himself,then as a gentle soul full of love & compassion for everyone,including the social worker who wins his heart without knowing it.I have seen many takes on Scrooge,and this one is my favorite as it shows Scrooge(in this case,Drake)learning to find his inner Santa. If you want to watch something sweet with your family this holiday,this is the movie to see! You will love it!

What If... (2010/I)
A truly inspiring movie that everyone should see!, 19 March 2011

If we ever needed uplifting movies,we need them now. What If is just such a movie. It tells the story of Ben Walker,who left his sweetheart and ministry calling for a business opportunity. Fifteen years later,he is about to become a partner in a prestigious investment firm and has a trophy fiancée. While taking his new car for a spin,he encounters an angel in the form of a tow truck driver,who sends him to an alternate reality,where he is married to his sweetheart and has two daughters,one a rather rebellious teenager and they are getting ready for church,where he is the new pastor. Without giving away anymore,I will say that Kevin Sorbo is absolutely brilliant in the role of Ben,who must learn about faith & family if he wants to return to his old life. This movie is the story of second chances and redemption. This really is a movie that the whole family will enjoy.

A feel good movie-and a mule with an attitude!, 20 June 2009

There are so few family movies out there these days,so it was refreshing to see this one come along. It's the story of a young boy who must become a man when his dad goes off to war and doesn't return. A greedy developer(played superbly by Kevin Sorbo)tries to get the bank to foreclose on the family's farm,but just when things look hopeless,along comes a feisty mule named Jackie A,who just happens to talk. Together,Tommy & Jackie go against the bullies who have made his life miserable. Tommy learns that you can do anything you set your mind to,no matter what anyone tells you! I would recommend this for the whole family!

What an awesome episode!(May contain spoilers), 18 August 2008

I know the series is not getting great ratings,but this particular episode really delivered,as far as I'm concerned. The main reason for that is Kevin Sorbo. His portrayal of Guy Goddard,aka Middleman 69,was simply fantastic! Here is a guy,thawed out after 40 years to take on his old archnemesis,The Candle,but ends up retired after breaking the #1 Middleman rule(Never Use Violence Except to Save the World)during his interrogation of a young man who now has possession of The Candle's melting ray gun! He then decides to kill the current Middleman,frame The Candle and take Wendy as his new apprentice. He then proves that chivalry is not dead when he sacrifices himself to save the current Middleman. At times,Goddard was very James Bond-like and Kevin played that very well.

Never Cry Werewolf (2008) (TV)
Sorbo shines as a reluctant hero!, 7 July 2008

I really enjoyed this movie,if for no other reason than the fact that it was nice to see Kevin Sorbo play a guy who doesn't want to be a hero,but needs to know what kind of man he really is. Redd Tucker is a down and out ex-TV personality(he used to host a hunting show)who gets the attention of a young woman trying to prove that a neighbor is really a werewolf. He pours out his story to her(rather sarasticily,I might add)and despite his initial reluctance,ends up helping her in her quest. The special effects are really nice,especially the werewolf makeup and all-really awesome! If you're expecting something really scary,then you might be a bit disappointed by this because it wasn't that frightening at all! Overall, a good and enjoyable movie!

OK,but not the best movie I've ever seen!, 7 July 2008

On the surface,this movie is not that good. The reason I gave it a vote of 7 out of 10 is because of the extras. I will say this:if you get the DVD,watch it with the audio commentary on,that way you won't have to listen to the awful language being used. The commentary is the one redeeming factor that makes the movie worth watching. The extras,on the other hand,are great to watch,particularly the cast production number at the end. The set tour piece and the Prepare for Thrusting piece are both hilariously funny-better than the movie itself! The main(and only reason)I bought the DVD is because of Kevin Sorbo,who really looks great in the movie! The one other person I liked in this movie was Nicole Parker. Her impressions of Brittany Spears(in the production number)and Ellen Degeneres were right on the mark. Not the greatest movie I've ever seen,but it is good for a few laughs!

Prairie Fever (2008) (V)
Another great Sorbo performance!(May contain spoilers), 30 March 2008

Kevin Sorbo gives another great performance in this story of a down and out ex-sheriff,driven to drink by grief and guilt over the death of his wife during a bank robbery gone awry. His drunkenness leads to a barroom brawl that lands him in jail. In order to clear up his debts,he agrees to transport three women,suffering from"prairie fever"back to civilization. During the trip,he meets Olivia, a beautiful sharpshooter who joins the group. She seems to have a calming effect on the three woman and an equally pleasant effect on Preston,but he doesn't acknowledge it until much later. The group prove themselves to be quite a force to be reckoned with when two brothers and a couple of rough shots who Preston put in prison years earlier trail them. A showdown with Olivia's partner,Monte,in Carson City takes Preston back to the deed of his undoing. All in all,a great movie and something a real Western fan will enjoy!

Something Beneath (2007) (TV)
Not your typical scary movie!, 18 October 2007

This wasn't the scary movie that I thought it would be,although the gooey effects weren't all that bad.Character-wise,Kevin Sorbo's Father Doug just didn't seem to fit in with the storyline,in my opinion.Of course it didn't help that he wasn't in that many scenes. I did like his interaction with the lady,particularly after she found out that he wasn't"that kind"of priest.To me,their chemistry is what kept my attention-nothing else in the movie did! While I didn't think the character fit in,I did like Father Doug-he was rather charming for a priest. The ending,while nice,was too predictable. I would only recommend this if you are a big fan of Kevin Sorbo.

Not a totally bad movie,but could have been better!, 9 October 2007

After watching preview clips,I must admit that I expected this one to be better that The Payback and in some ways,it was. The storyline,however,never really flowed as it should have as it kept going back and forth,not giving the viewer a chance to really understand what was happening and I really didn't care for the hip hop music that much anyway. When Kevin wasn't on screen,the movie tended to fall a little flat,but his appearance seemed to pick things up a bit. Kevin was great in this,and while I thought the scene as a whole was gory,he did some really great work in the torture scene. If I had to choose a favorite scene,it would be the front porch reunion between Nick & Kate-it seemed to show that they really did love & care for each other. The ending was a bit weird to me,but seeing Nick & Sam finally bonding after the earlier strain in their relationship was nice. Overall,it was a good effort on Kevin's part,but I wouldn't recommend it unless you are a die hard Sorbo fan!