konway7

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

The finest documentary I have ever seen!, 30 March 2014

This documentary focuses on the facts that many people don't know about Adolf Hitler and his beloved Germany.

This documentary has 26 parts and a bonus feature called Babylon before Adolf Hitler. Part 23 is called Berlin Wall. Part 24 is called "What if Germany would have won." Part 25 (final part) is called "We defeated the Wrong enemy", and Part 26 is Sources.

Dennis Wise did an excellent job in making this documentary. I highly recommend this documentary to everyone who wants to know the actual facts about Adolf Hitler. I don't want to provide more details about this documentary. You can watch the documentary and decide for yourself after watching factual information. I rate the documentary 10 out of 10.

Celluloid (2013)
The World of A Shattered Genius!, 12 May 2013

One of the things I love about this film is Director Kamal's emotional approach in this film. It is extremely powerful. For Example, the scenes where JC Daniel (Prithviraj) is dying and Janet (Mamtha Mohandas) sadly calling "Daniele, Daniele." During these scenes, the audience was so quiet to the point where you could hear a pin drop in the movie theater! Everyone was great in this film. Prithviraj, Mamtha Mohandas, Chandni, Sreenivasan, Siddique, and others did great job playing their roles. My favorite dialogue in the film is the final dialogue of Chelangatt Gopalakrishnan (Sreenivasan) to Ramakrishna Iyer (Siddique) in this film - "Ayal marichu kazhinjathinu shesham ennenkilum ayale nammal angikarikkum. Atanallo Pathivu. Athanallo Namukku Sheelam." This dialogue gave a strong impression to the audience in the theater. This is so true. Even the real Chelangatt Gopalakrishnan didn't get the recognition he deserved when he was alive. We can see how Chelangatt Gopalakrishnan and his contributions were ignored when he was alive in January 2013 episode of Kandathum Kettathum program. Even if a Genius gets some success, still he/she will get ignored when he/she is alive. That was the case with Director Alfred Hitchcock. He made so many great films throughout his career. But in his entire life, He was never given an Oscar. Today, many people consider Alfred Hitchcock as the greatest director of all time.

As early as 2002, I wanted to learn about JC Daniel. But during the days especially 2002 to 2005, I could only find just 3 sentences about JC Daniel and his contribution to Cinema. Thanks to Kamal, We have a wonderful 2 hours movie about JC Daniel. This movie shows the hard working efforts of J C Daniel, J.C Daniel's film crew, Chelangatt Gopalakrishnan, and even Sunderraj (played by Sreejith Ravi and later T G Ravi in this film) not only to our generation. But also future generations to come. And I am sure future generations will remember Director Kamal for his efforts "especially" for this film and also the entire film crew for their efforts in this film.

Another great thing about this film is transitioning of a confident strong young JC Daniel to a shattered poor old JC Daniel. Same thing with Janet (Mamtha Mohandas) and P K Rosy (Chandni). We see a supporting and cheerful Janet to an extremely depressed Janet. With PK Rosy, we see a character with hope and expectation of a good future to the point where she had to escape in great fear.

The audio recording of Chelangat Gopalakrishnan produced by Akashawani is extremely useful for people who are interested in learning more about the efforts of Chelangatt Gopalakrishnan.

I rate the film 10 out of 10.

The Cat and the Claw Part 2, 28 January 2013

Compared to Part 1, I found Part 2 disappointing due to the poor animation by Akom. Sunrise did the animation for The Cat and the Claw Part 1. But I still give 10 out of 10, because of the wonderful script. I thought Story Editor Sean Catherine Derek, Laren Bright, Jules Dennis, and Richard Mueller did wonderful jobs with the story and the script for The Cat and the Claw Part 1 and this episode.

I think The Cat and the Claw (Part 1 & 2) has lots of brilliant touches in it. One of the brilliant touches is threatening portrayal of Batman to the criminals of Gotham. Let me give some examples.

In the beginning of this episode, We see the sudden appearance of Batman and Mob boss sweating due to the sudden and threatening appearance of Batman. When Mob boss tells Batman to lay off the Southside, Batman lifts Mob boss and says "Keep this up and I will be on you from all sides - NORTH, SOUTH, EAST, AND WEST." In Part 1, We see Batman lifting up the same mob boss and says "If you think, I have been bad news before." These are some great moments of how threatening Batman really is to the criminals of Gotham.

In this episode, we see that Bruce Wayne is also willing to take risks like Batman. But only in extreme danger. It is the scene where Bruce Waynes turns his car at the Red Claw's men after they tried to crash his car. Another interesting touch in The Cat and the Claw (Part 1 and Part 2) is the mission of one villain (Catwoman) is Preservation (Preserving the land for Mountain Lions) and the mission of the other villain (The Red Claw) is to cause destruction. Batman has to handle 2 female villains with opposite missions.

I also love how the dialogue is written in The Cat and the Claw Part 1 and Part 2. One of my favorite parts is the last scene where Catwoman says "So you do care." We see handcuffs on her hands and Batman says "More than you will ever know." Batman does care about Catwoman. But there is one thing that separates them - the law. I also love the conversations between Commissioner Gordon and Batman. It was very different compared to other episodes. Another interesting thing is the threatening side of The Red Claw is present in Part 1 (from the moment she appears) and throughout Part 2, because her thugs are causing danger to Bruce Wayne, Selena Kyle, and Maven. Red Claw's Virus is also causing trouble to Commission Gordon and the entire city of Gotham. Compared to other episodes, there is a feeling that lots of people are in danger at the same time through this episode.

Although this episode has a weak animation, still I rate the episode 10 out of 10 due to efforts of all the writers (Sean Catherine Derek, Laren Bright, Jules Dennis, and Richard Mueller) who worked on this episode.

One of the best scripts to be destroyed by BS&P!, 28 January 2013

This was one of the earliest scripts written for Batman Animated Series. Tom Ruegger (Executive Producer/Writer) of this show created the story of this episode with Sean Catherine Derek as the story editor.

Sean Catherine Derek brought in writers Jules Dennis and Richard Mueller to write the script of this episode. Sean Catherine Derek also worked on the script as story editor. Unfortunately, BS&P (Broadcasting Standards and Practices) didn't approve the script. They took a lot out of this episode. Producer Bruce W. Timm was extremely upset about the changes made by BS&P. BS&P added several "silly" scenes and (For Example, Chicken scene in the beginning, crocodile fight, etc.) to the episode. That is a disgrace to the original effort done by the writers of this episode. But some brilliant scenes written by Jules Dennis and Richard Mueller did end up in the episode. This includes from the scene where Batman finds the secret door to the scene where he brings young boy to the batcave and final scene with Batman and Sewer King.

It is the scene when Sewer King says "Why? Why?" and Batman replies "I don't pass sentence. That's for the courts. But this time - THIS TIME - I am sorely tempted to do the job myself." Batman's extreme anger towards Sewer King in this scene is brilliant, because of Sewer King's extreme cruelty towards innocent children. The suffering of these innocent children reminded Batman of his misery in his childhood when he lost his parents. Through this, we the audience explore into the emotional depth of Bruce Wayne. Despite the "silly" changes made by BS&P against the wishes of the writers, I give 10 out of 10 due to the brilliant final scene written by Jules Dennis and Richard Mueller with Story Editor Sean Derek.

The writers (Jules Dennis, Richard Mueller, and Story Editor Sean Catherine Derek) of this episode are the same writers who wrote Episode "The Forgotten." Through "My family" sequence Episode "The Forgotten", we can see the misery that Bruce Wayne went through his childhood. Like the episode "The Underdwellers", several changes were made to Episode "The Forgotten." This was also against the wishes of the writers. Fortunately, "My Family" sequence written by the writers did end up in the released version which allows to explore into the true vision of the writers. Only the scripts written by Jules Dennis, Richard Mueller, and Sean Derek that properly ended up on the screen were "The Cat and the Claw part 1" and "The Cat and the Claw part 2." So we can disregard the silly moments in this episode, because those moments weren't part of the intentions of the writers of this episode. I also love the animation of this episode. This was the first episode to be animated by Studio Junio. Studio Junio went on to animate episodes like Dreams in Darkness, Mudslide, Blind as a Bat, Avatar, Baby Doll.

I also love how batmobile was hidden inside a trash bin so that his enemies won't find where his batmobile is.

Due to the original efforts by writers, animation done by Studio Junio, and Music by Stuart Balcomb & Lars Cutterham, I rate the episode 10 out of 10.

A Crying Turtle, 3 October 2012

This review contains spoilers for both Mad as a Hatter and episode "Perchance to Dream." When I think of this episode, it reminds me of the crying turtle at the end of the episode. I felt sorry for Jervis Tetch (a.k.a Mad Hatter). Paul Dini's episode Mad as a Hatter was loosely based on a real tragic story that happened in Silicon Valley.

Jervis Tetch is a quiet and a lonely man who feels that he hasn't accomplished anything until his mind controlling device. Jervis Tetch is a man who is in love with his coworker Alice. But Alice treats him as a friend. Alice has a boyfriend named Billy. But Jervis is jealous that Alice is in love with Billy. Later, Jervis hears Alice crying and learns that after a fight, Billy broke up with her.

Jervis decides to take Alice on a date. But he doesn't know how to impress her. He feels that he is not a man with any physical beauty to impress her. After that, he decides to use mind controlling device to impress her. After that, we know what happened in this episode.

But this is the real tragedy to me with this episode - "We see that the quiet & lonely Mad Hatter has transformed into a man who is sociable, happy, and wishing his coworkers pleasant things after that wonderful night with Alice. Through this scene, we realize that his life would have been truly happy if he had Alice. These were few moments where Jervis was truly happy." This tragedy was used again in the episode "Perchance to Dream." You can read this in my IMDb review for for "Perchance to dream" about this.

When he realizes that he is going to lose Alice forever to Billy, he becomes very angry and uses all of his skills to get Alice. I felt very sorry for Jervis, because we see how much he has changed due to that one night with Alice. Her "handsome" boyfriend Billy is the one who got angry and broke up with Alice. When Billy apologizes and offers just "one flower" to Alice, Alice falls for him. But Jervis ended spending "all of his efforts and lot of time during that night" so that Alice can feel happy and also understand his romantic feelings for her. But Alice only saw Jervis as "a sweet funny man." After spending all of his efforts and time, Jervis realizes in the next morning that his efforts amounted to nothing. That's another reason why he becomes angry. We know what happens after that. I think the depth of Jervis Tetch's sadness is explored much more when we see the episode "Perchance to Dream." This is because we can compare his tragedy with the tragedy of Bruce Wayne in that episode. But this episode contributed a lot to that episode. This is one of the best animated episodes with real human emotion in it. Akom's animation for this episode turned out to be good. This was a surprise for me. The end of both Mad as a Hatter and Perchance to Dream remind me of crying turtle in this episode, because of the tragedy Jervis Tetch faces at the end of this episode after a quiet and lonely life.

Wonderful script by Paul Dini, Wonderful score by Shirley Walker, and Wonderful direction by Frank Paur. I rate this episode 10 out of 10.

Robin Hood (1973)
Here comes Robin Hood from Sherwood!, 16 August 2012

I read somewhere that this film was one of small budget Disney films. But I loved the film. For a small budget film, I must say that they put lots of great effort into it.

One of the interesting things I liked about Robin Hood is the way the story was constructed. For Example, the first half focuses a lot on the romantic relationship of Robin Hood and Maid Marian. As audience, we see Maid Marian's true love and true concern for Robin Hood especially when he gets caught after the archery contest. We also explore into the extreme fear of Maid Marian, because Robin Hood is in danger. After that, we see the fight turning into hilarious moments and first half ends happily especially with romantic music between Robin hood and Maid Marian.

Now when the second half starts, the story becomes very serious. The interesting thing is the second half makes the audience feel very concerned about the safety of Robin Hood. This starts especially when Robin hood runs back to save the young rabbit who was "accidentally" left behind. That's when the danger begins to increase into a higher level. From this point, the audience can "connect" themselves to Maid Marian and her feeling of fear when robin hood was in danger after the archery contest. We didn't have this fear in the first half, because we know that Little John (in disguise) is sitting right next to Prince John. But Maid Marian doesn't know that.

But in the second half, Little John and others are helpless, because they are on the other side of the gate. Although we (the audience) are relieved that Robin Hood was able to give the young rabbit to Little John safely, still we are concerned about the life of Robin Hood due to lack of help. The tension gets to it's highest point when Robin Hood is on top of the tower with fire. But this tension continues up to the moment where we (the audience) find out that Robin Hood is safe after all.

I personally think the use of Suspense is done brilliantly in this animated film.

While talking about Suspense, Alfred Hitchcock pointed out that the audience gets worked up during the suspense. And they need to be relieved at the end of the suspense. I think Robin hood is a great example for "everyone" who is interested in the subject of Suspense, because the audience gets relieved at the end by finding out that Robin Hood is safe after all. Through the second half, we (the audience) also get "connected" to a character (Maid Marian) and her feelings in the film. This shows how much "involved" we can be when we are watching a film.

I also thought everyone did a great job playing their roles. But I want to point out Peter Ustinov's "great" portrayal of Prince John. The way Peter Ustinov played Prince John makes me like Prince John and despise his actions at the same time. I thought his sidekick "Hiss" was hilarious too.

I also like the way the script also focused on other characters like Little John, Sheriff of Nottingham, Friar Tuck, Mother Rabbit & her family, Blacksmith Otto (the dog with broken leg), Toby Turtle, Alan-a- Dale (rooster), Lady Kluck (chicken) etc.

I want to write more. But its already a long post. I highly recommend this film. I rate this film 10 out of 10.

My personal favorite Disney film, 9 July 2012

When I heard the bad reviews about the film, I thought I should skip it. But later, I decided to watch it, because some people liked it a lot.

After I watched the film, it ended up becoming my favorite Disney film. We all know that this was a very different Disney film, because it has a serious touch to it.

I can see when people say the film is too slow. I thought the first 15 minutes was slow. I did find the characters interesting. I also can see why people see Taran annoying. But I liked Taran, because he is a bored innocent kid whose strong attachment towards the dream of becoming a warrior. But unlike other Disney heroes, there is one thing that is missing in Taran in the "beginning" of the film - the lack of experience. Let me take Disney hero - Aladdin. In the beginning of the film "Aladdin", Aladdin is an expert thief who has great deal of experience in stealing food and escaping the soldiers.

But with Taran, he wants to fight in the war. But due to his lack of experience, he doesn't realize the seriousness of war. This can be seen when Dallben says to Taran "War isn't a game. People get hurt." And we immediately see Taran getting hurt, because of the hot pot.

But he stayed with his dream of becoming a warrior. We see him dreaming about becoming a warrior by looking into the river. I feel that he has an ego inside him due to his dream of becoming a warrior. But not in a harmful way. I liked Taran, because I myself can connect to him. I was a bored kid who had lots of dreams about my future. I remember not taking certain things seriously when I was young. Through my experiences in my later years, I began to take them seriously.

Back to the subject. After that, his pig gets captured by dragon birds and the story becomes very serious. Through his journey, he meets Gurgi, a princess named Eilonwy, and FFlewddur.

I found the relationship between Taran and Eilonwy interesting. After the escape from Horned King's castle, Taran tries to take the complete credit for the escape. Eilonwy points out the importance of her role in escaping the castle. Taran and Eilonwy quarrel and leave in 2 separate ways. Later, Taran comes and expresses his gratitude towards Eilonwy for getting out of the dungeon. I think this was the first step towards his character development. After they get into the kingdom under water, Taran decided to go to Molva to find Black Cauldron so that he can stop the king. Taran requests Eilonwy to come with him. This was a "small" scene. But it is very important, because Taran now acknowledges the importance of Eilonwy's presence with him. He is more matured now.

Later, Eilonwy supports Taran when his confidence becomes low. We see the beginning of their romance. This is very different from Disney, because hero and heroine falls in love the moment they see each other. Snow White & Seven Dwarfs, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, etc. are great examples. But in this film, it takes time.

I like Gurgi. His voice kinda reminds me of the voice of Donald Duck. Gurgi immediately escapes whenever he sees trouble. But in time, he begins to acknowledge the value of the friendship and tries to help the ones he cares. In the end, we can see the loneliness of Gurgi when he says he has no friends. He dies for the ones he deeply cares. Through a "small" character like Gurgi, Taran begins to realize the value of friendship.

In the end, Taran could have taken his sword instead of Gurgi. But he didn't, because he understands the value of true friendship and he also understands that there is far more greater things in life than just becoming a warrior and a hero. He learned this through his experiences.

All ambitions we see in Taran in the beginning of the film are gone by the end. He isn't disappointed by it, because he is completely happy and completely satisfied with what he has now.

I thought John Hurt did a great job playing Horned King. I thought Horned King was a terrifying villain. I loved the animation in the film especially with the scene where Dragon birds take the pig in the beginning of the film. I think its the small details in The Black Cauldron that makes the film great. For Example, the relationship between Taran and Eilonwy. The small scenes that develops into their romance with the help of Gurgi at the end of the film. The relationship isn't elaborated like other Disney films. I think this helps the audience to analyze their relationship.

In the beginning, Taran had nothing but dissatisfaction. But in the end, he has nothing but satisfaction. In the end, he has friends like Gurgi and Fflewdder. And finally, there is Princess Eilonwy to love him.

My request is always give another chance to this film especially because of the effort they put into this film. You may have been dissatisfied with the film when you first saw it. But I think repeated viewings can fill you with nothing but satisfaction.

Perchance to Dream - Dream within a reality or a reality within a dream?, 17 June 2012

SPOILERS

When I watched the episode, it made me think for a while. For me, this episode explores into the dreams that really exists in our everyday lives and the reality that exists in our dreams. Let me explain.

Bruce Wayne has a dream and Mad Hatter has a dream. Through his dream machine, Mad Hatter gives the dream that Bruce always wanted in his real life. At first, Bruce denies it by believing that it isn't real. But after discussing with Leslie, Bruce completely believes that the nightmare is over. He completely accepts the dream as "reality." After that, we see few "true" moments of reality within a dream. A moment where Bruce Wayne is truly happy in his heart. A moment where Bruce hugs his father and asks him if he and mom could join their son and Selina at the opera. A moment where he "truly" saw Selina as Selina. The woman of his life. And not as catwoman. This moment is powerful, because of contribution from writers, Boyd Kirkland, and Shirley Walker. Walker's music not only gives the moment of happiness in this scene, but also a moment of comfort where Bruce feels that all of his nightmares are over.

When Bruce realizes that everything is nothing but a dream, he becomes totally angry. He realizes that he "never" can lead a normal life like others do.

He goes to find Batman. In Episode Mad as a Hatter, there are few moments where Mad Hatter is truly happy. The scene where Mad Hatter dances with Alice and the scene where he comes to the office as a new man. We see that the quiet & lonely Mad Hatter has transformed into a man who is sociable, happy, and wishing his coworkers pleasant things. We see flowers in his hands for Alice. Alice is the woman of his dream. When he realizes that he is losing Alice, he becomes very angry. In the end, he loses Alice.

This is where both Bruce Wayne and Mad Hatter are in common. They both lost what they loved the most. Bruce lost his family. Mad Hatter lost Alice, the woman of his life.

So Mad Hatter makes the dream machine to give what Bruce Wayne wants so that he can get what he wants. We all have dreams in our lives. We wants "some" of our dreams very badly. But when we realize that we "never" can get them, this leads us to anger. Through Mad Hatter's dream machine, we realize that Bruce Wayne would have been truly happy if his parents were alive.

Through Episode "Mad as a Hatter", we see that the quiet & lonely Mad Hatter has transformed into a man who is sociable, happy, and wishing his coworkers pleasant things after that wonderful night with Alice. Through this scene, we realize that his life would have been really happy if he had Alice.

Just like Bruce Wayne is angry, we see Mad Hatter very angry at the end, because of what he lost. Moments like these make Perchance to Dream a memorable episode.

The Walking Stick (1970) - A woman's lonely world, 13 January 2012

When I watched the film, I thought the story of the film was just OK. Nothing special. I have seen older films with similar ideas.

But what made me like the film wasn't the story. I liked the film, because of the strong performance from Samantha Eggar and wonderful score by Stanley Myers.

David Hemmings did a fine job playing his role. But Eggar's performance was able to capture the true feelings of a woman who is physically and emotionally wounded. That's why Deborah Dainton (Samantha Eggar) is one of my favorite characters. And Stanley Myer's great cavatina music makes the scenes memorable by capturing the lonely world of Deborah Dainton (Samantha Eggar).

But I think the script would have been far better if it was given to a director like Alfred Hitchcock. I still rate the film 7 out of 10, because of its strong points.

A Brilliant Episode about Scarecrow and the terror he causes!, 1 December 2010

From the very beginning, Writer Samuel Warren Joseph and Story Editor Laren Bright let the audience know that Scarecrow is the villain. We learn much more about the character of Scarecrow in this episode. And we learn it through the terror he causes. Sometimes through a person's actions, we can learn what's going on with him/her. That is the case with Scarecrow.

But that only makes Scarecrow more dangerous, because the reasons that drives him to do these actions are far more terrifying. And we visually see these terrifying reasons after Scarecrow finishes his "Fear of Victory" speech to the henchman. And we clearly see what happens to henchman after Scarecrow unleashes his hidden terror.

Both henchman and Robin faced the terror of Scarecrow. But the henchman faced more of Scarecrow's terror, because of his attack towards Scarecrow.

When Batman faces Scarecrow in the end, we see through Scarecrow's words that he is a character who likes to be feared rather than being loved. And his own deep fascination with the fear leads him to an extremely dangerous level. Here is a line from Scarecrow to Batman in the end that helps visualizing the terror he possesses - "I need the money, Batman. You know the cost of chemicals these days. And it would take much more than this to bring every "pathetic" person in Gotham to the knees, Kissing my feet!" Compared to other episodes, Fear of Victory has more of a realistic touch especially when it comes to human emotions. Here is an example with Robin. When Robin says he is no good to Batman, Batman guides him very carefully by understanding his feelings. And Batman drives the car slowly for him so that Robin won't lose his sense of control. I thought Writer Samuel Warren Joseph and Story Editor Laren Bright did a wonderful job with this episode.

And I strongly disagree with Producer Bruce W. Timm about this episode. In Animato Magazine, he said about Fear of Victory like this - "Great TMS animation for a really stupid story." I think Fear of Victory is one of the best written and best animated episodes to come from Batman Animated Series. I rate this episode 10 out of 10.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]