Reviews

1 ReviewOrdered By: Date
Enjoyable to Some Extent, but...
28 January 2005
First of all, DeGrassi is a show that obviously tries very hard to reach a broad and general demographic within the realms of the elusive teenage audience. It takes place at a community school of combined middle and high school and concentrates on the lives of kids involved. For example, the cast is ethnically, mentally, and stereotypically diverse and each episode focuses on a single teenage "issue" that is briefly developed as the seasons progress. It's gotten to the point where it's more or less unrealistic because the producers try to cram an issue that may take years to unravel into thirty minutes of primetime television.

First of all, let me outline the positive aspects of the show. It attempts to reach the world by incorporating novel episode ideas about things that generally aren't talked about with kids because it's considered taboo. Let's face it: not many adults like talking to their children about homosexuality, STDs, eating disorders, and other things to that extent. In fact, they usually think we're angelic and unexposed to them. However, DeGrassi explores the boundaries and their extremities because, quite frankly, kids need to know they exist.

Now, the negative aspects of the show. While I say DeGrassi explores the boundaries of conversational taboo, it is also very obvious about doing so. Most times, I cringe at the scripts because they've become too unrealistic at this point, and it's clearly trying too hard. Most times, I also cringe at the actors because some of them have no idea how to express themselves at the raw core of their character.

Gustav's Rating: 6/10. If you're a teenager, pre-teenager, or adult who thinks (s)he's a teenager, you might want to give at least one episode a try. And If you're American, you'll have to put up with The-N being all temperamental and not showing us the episodes in order.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this