gleetroy

The Showdown? Hope that was all it Showed, 27 March 2010

Artistic Western? That one reviewer must have been hitting the Hoppy Juice a bit too often. I guess he thinks any Western that's not a clash over water rights is "artistic." This piece of junk was obvious from the start (Surprise? You thought the girl did it?)

Also "the cast was excellent , including Elliot?" He was stiffer than the oak tress in the background. I guess I can't take too much "Art" in my Westerns. Give me "Stagecoach" anytime.

The Showdown. Bill Elliot. Was old Elliot Wooden School of Acting Guru a regular Republic leading man? Why was Walter Brennan playing that type of character at that point in his career?

Prehistoric Nonsense Corman Style, 1 January 2010

It was made in two WEEKS, not two days as someone else's review stated. Please get the facts straight. Read Robert Vaughn's autobiography, he has some choice information about the background of the making of this movie.

Robert Vaughn recalled the filming of it. It took place entirely in Griffith Park in California and the animals involved refused to cooperate. Also, he was sent to the hospital twice. once when an animal bit him, and once when he fell off a log and stepped on broken glass. The glamor of show biz, it is intoxicating.

It was eventually released on a double-bill with the Michael Landon classic.....wait for it....."I Was a Teenage Werewolf."

Oh, Roger Corman, you've done it again!

Great Western of revenge and setting things right, 17 November 2009

How could one reviewer get it so wrong? It was not Sergio Leone who requested Henry Fonda to wear brown contact lenses, it was Henry Fonda who , when knowing he was going to play a ruthless villain, grew a full beard and bought brown lenses. Leone saw him and persuaded him to be clean-shaven and have "the beautiful, bright blue eyes of a killer." He wanted to shock the audience by having clean-cut Henry Fonda be a child killer.

It is one of the greatest movies of all time!!!

Harmonica (Charles Bronson): Did you bring a horse for me?

Killer (Jack Elam): No, it looks like we're one horse short.

Harmonica (shakes his head): You brought two too many.

God's Gun?, 1 November 2008

The strangest thing of all about this terrible western is that while it has the look feel and especially the SOUND (loud, overdone) of a spaghetti western, most of the talent involved in the top positions were not European, including the director. Also, the three male leads did not sound right. The lead Lee van Cleef, sounded like himself most of the time , but Jack Palance and Richard Boone were dubbed. This is especially clear with Richard Boone who has a very distinctive voice. If someone out there can tell me why you would dub a distinctive sounding American actor's voice into English, please tell me. I liked the plot twist of the twin brother but this is a bad movie. Enough said!

The Ghoul (1933)
Story of strange happenings in an old, very dark house with dark sets and characters with various reasons for being there. Early British talkie that creaks., 1 November 2008

Dumb. The story of how this film was saved from supposed extinction is much more interesting than the film itself. The direction is old hat. It resembles a stage play with the way all the actors stand in a line at 3/4 stance reciting their lines. Too talky. Hardwicke's makeup was all wrong for a film. It belonged in a theater. One should never be able to tell a person is wearing makeup (unless he is portraying a monster or creature that is otherworldly and therefore is not supposed to look realistic).

Just because it was a lost film doesn't mean it was a lost "treasure" and it certainly does not hold up today.

Boring!! It's like watching a master rib chef at work- low and slow, 29 June 2008

I am still waiting for the movie to start! The lonely world of the master chef--The artist who can not tolerate incompetence or less than greatness from others must be doomed to live a lonely and self-absorbed life or else compromise her art until the right man/person comes along.

It's been done better and more exciting by many, many others. Looking at the beautiful Catherine Zeta-Jones and Mr. Eckhert ( with a morose child thrown in) is not enough.

Write a script that has some fun!!

New York never looked better and the kitchen help in the restaurant looked authentic, but we could get that on the Food Network.

The Letters (1973) (TV)
The Letters. Postal Letters with great importance to the people involved get lost (delayed, actually) for a year. The news they DON'T bring changes people's lives forever., 9 March 2008

I remember this film. I only saw it once when it first came out and have heard neither hide nor hair about it since then. Yet, that vague memory has stayed with me up to the present day. When I saw the credit on Barbara Stanwyck's biog I clicked on it remembering the film from long ago. The first thing I said was "Henry Jones." He was the mailman. Sure enough, as I scrolled down the list there he was as the very last credited player Henry Jones....Postman.

What I remember best about this film was the mailman finally delivering the letter to an obviously happily married couple. The husband looks at the wife and says "Don't Open it." She tosses it in the trash and smiles. That little scene brought the whole theme of the film into sharp focus. Sometimes the moves you don't make are the smartest and most memorable actions of your life. Excellent film. Very well done.

Buddy, Save This Movie, 21 February 2008

I have never seen this film but have heard a lot about it. Just recently, I was reading an Abbott and Costello biography where it quoted Buddy Hackett as saying that he "replaced" Lou in the film when Lou got ill. (Was it another rheumatic fever attack?) I would like to know the origins of the casting and would like to see this film.

It is easy to see that Hugh O'Brian was essaying the Abbott role. But was he funny at one point?

Spike Jones in a movie that was tailored around him? Just zany enough to be a great idea! When Turner Classic Movies does show it at 3 in the morning I'll have the VCR set

Odd Movie for The Odd Couple, 12 February 2008

Getting the true odd couple together again was an inspired idea (I know, Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmonn did the movie first and Matthau and Art Carney were the very first Odd Couple in the original play). They were the best with the truest chemistry. It was and still is one of my favorite television shows of all time. It was hilarious! So, what happened to the reunion? It was dreadful. I know the actors were twenty years older but that didn't matter. The actors were fine. The script was lousy! It was juvenile and made little sense at times. For anyone to believe that a wife who supposedly loves her husband would ban him from his own daughter's wedding was too much of a stretch.

Jack and Tony were still good and the script did incorporate Jack's voice into the story quite well, but these two guys could have done much better. I have seen them both acting together on Broadway after this show was made in two separate plays (Three Men On A Horse and The Sunshine Boys). Both were well done although "Boys" was the better of the two. The point is, why couldn't they have had a stronger script?

Like others, it bothered me a lot that Al Molinaro did not play Murray. I know he retired by I still don't get why he wasn't there. He is still living and doing commercials, so why couldn't they get him to play Murray again? It was a small part in this movie. I wish someone had the answer to that. Also, I understand why Dick Van Patten was one of the poker players (He played the role when they reprised the play for the opening of Tony Randall's national Actor's Theater on Broadway, but what about John Fieldler. Why wasn't he Vinny? He remained active until his death in 2005.

Of Mice and Men (1981) (TV)
Two ranch hands looking for work and sticking together through thick and thin., 19 July 2007

This is the best version of my favorite novel. Robert Blake is amazing as George. The humanity and depth of feeling he exhibits for Lennie is evident but not overly done. Randy Quaid shows off his wonderful dramatic ability that first became apparent in the big time with "The Last Detail." Those folks who only remember him from the "Vacation" films are in for a surprise.

Greta film, great actors Just watch Whitman Mayo (better known as "Grady" from "Sanford and Son"), he is marvelous and he displays talents not often showcased in his career. Great film. Get a tape of if you can (I haven't seen one).