anthony_falez

Kumaré (2011)
Deception is neither good nor bad, but rather what's accomplished by deception is what really matters., 22 February 2013

It's ironic because, even though he was deceiving them at first, those who continued to listen, and were therefore understanding of him when he, so to speak, came clean, apparently gained something from the whole experience, while the whole experience likely detracted something from those that stopped listening as soon as he did indeed come clean. I smoked a joint before watching this one and found it quite funny at first, (although I'm not sure if it was because I was high or this social experiment was indeed funny,) and then troubling until I began to reflect upon it, but I'm glad I watched the movie because I too felt like I walked away with something—again, at least somewhat ironic. Vikram's project demonstrates that there is no such thing as bad experience, and that, instead, what matters is what you make of your experience. (Cliché, I know...) His film also exemplified just how easy it is to deceive, and be deceived, especially by one's own self. I'm certain there will be somebody out there who might also be able to gain something from a viewing Vikram's film. For this very reason, Kumaré did end-up moving me. It's a very intriguing film, but only if you decide to lend it your eyes and ears for the entire duration. Kumaré does indeed provide its viewers with something, but only to those who are attentive, as new-agey as that might sound. Great debut by a film maker I had no idea existed until now.

Reggae Britannia (2011) (TV)
Reggae Britannia's Roots (...Rock, Reggae), 4 November 2012

Reggae Britannia is definitely a must see for any and every reggae fan out there. The film features a number of great artists and bands, such as Aswad, Steel Pulse, UB40, The Specials, Police in their early days, Bob Marley, and even Mikey Dread. Even though the documentary's focal point was Britain's reggae scene, and especially since Lee "Scratch" Perry, a producer who has been influential in the reggae scene at large, had been mentioned, I wish the film would have included or featured, even briefly, a couple more Jamaican bands like The Viceroys, or The Congos who recorded their best known album, Heart of the Congos, with Perry. Reggae Britannia, nonetheless, offers a curt, narrow and superficial, yet informative look at the evolution of reggae from the rock of Jamaica to the boulder of Britain.

Be sure to check it out!

I just want to say that, in my opinion, Marley is synonymous with and reggae. I fell head over heels in love with reggae only after having heard his music in my childhood, and if I had not heard the music of this one man, you would not be reading these words right now; rest in peace, Bob Marley.

Somewhere Between Dreams and Reality, 30 October 2012

A tragic love story entangled in the underworld of dirty business and thus in violence and crime. Restless City is captivating from beginning to end. The film is not big on dialogue but that is okay because the images speak for themselves. Indeed, it was filmed beautifully, with an excellent use of lighting, scenes sped up and slowed down and sometimes slightly out of focus. Every detail of every frame is nearly picture perfect. Restless City was able to create or capture something that most other films do not, atmosphere. Although the story line is somewhat shallow, the atmosphere is raw and at times dreamy. Restless City, in my opinion, is unjustifiably underrated.