MichaelOates

Page 1 of 17:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Zoolander (2001)
Stay away, 4 June 2004

"Zoolander" is the type of movie where everyone shakes their head in disbelief wondering why the movie was made. Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson and Christine Taylor star as the leads along with many talented actor making cameos in a film that makes no sense.

The director of "Zoolander" failed to make a connection between the audience to watch and the reason he made the movie. Furthermore, the writers did a dismal job at convincing everyone that their was a reason to watch as they utilized stupid jokes, bad physical comedy and awful writing in the script. It is unfortunate that "Zoolander" turned out to the way it did because Stiller and Wilson are both excellent talents. The chemistry between both actors are excellent but it was not enough to sway my opinion of the movie.

The Mighty (1998)
A mighty good film, 4 June 2004

Talent must run in the Culkin family because Kieran shines in "The Mighty."

As I sat through "The Mighty," I kept thought to myself how it resembled another inspirational film; "Simon Birch." This was a clear indication that I would enjoy "The Mighty."

Elden Henson who played Max Kane was a good choice to play the friend of Culkin's character, Kevin Dillon. I say this because it is based upon how much each have in common including the fact that they seemed to click well together.

I can't forget to mention the superb supporting cast that included Sharon Stone, Gena Rowlands and Harry Dean Stanton. Stone pulled off a performance that could have been done in her sleep. Rowlands and Stanton provided support at just the right times to make this film worthwhile.

"The Mighty" immediately brought a smile to my face because it told the story of two people who were isolated until one day they were brought together, which made a perfect fit.

4th time is the charm, 3 June 2004

Chucky's back and better than ever in the fourth film as the innovator and creator or murder, mayhem, thrills, chills, and laughs. "Bride Of Chucky" is the best of all the Chucky films because it does not focus on scares and violence, rather it focuses on the more important elements. Instead of having scene after scene filled with violence, the director combined all the elements of action, drama, suspense, horror, and even comedy into Bride Of Chucky.

The only actor to act in all four films returns; Brad Dourif reprises his role as the voice of Chucky. Jennifer Tilly lends her voice to the "Bride Of Chucky" as Chucky's bride, Tiffany. Chucky and Tiffany fit together very well for a pair bent on creating malice, chaos, havoc and mayhem.

Though Chucky and Tiffany are definitely the main focal point of this movie, but they can't make it a successful film by themselves. Strong performances by relative newcomers Nick Stabile, Katherine Heigl and seasoned veteran John Ritter made this a tremendous hit. Katherine Heigl may be known for her portrayal of Steven Seagal's niece in Under Siege 2: Dark Territory plays Jade. Nick Stabile is Jesse, Jade's boyfriend. John Ritter plays a police chief and who hates Jade's boyfriend, Jesse.

I commend the creator and the puppeteers of the Chucky and Tiffany dolls for their original and unique movements. Also, I loved the maniacal laugh that Brad Dourif created after each crime Chucky and Tiffany committed. "Bride Of Chucky" is filled with laughs, scares, and chills from beginning to end.

very underrated and very enjoyable, 3 June 2004

I would not have thought that anything good would come from a film that is shorter than 90 minutes, but I was wrong. "Phone Booth" turned out to be energetic, suspense-filled and intense.

Colin Farrell surrounded himself with a very talented group of actors including Forest Whitaker, Kiefer Sutherland, Radha Mitchell, Katie Holmes and Richard T. Jones. It was a pure delight and a was a breath of fresh air to watch these actors work together in this great movie.

Most of the credit must be given to the writers of "Phone Booth" because they took what could have easily been turned into an fast-paced and formulaic action picture and slowed the pace. Instead, the writers chose to create a dramatic film with the focus on character development and storyline. With strong performances and smart writing; the writers successfully turned "Phone Booth" into a clever and stylish film.

Charisma and intensity are elements brought to the screen by everyone in the film, especially Farrell. I have never been a Colin Farrell fan, but I respect the talent he brings to the role. "Phone Booth" only furthers Farrell credibility as an actor as he seized the opportunity to step out of the shadows and into the limelight to take the road to super stardom.

Based upon his previous film, "American Outlaws," it didn't take long to realize the discovery of the next big movie star would be found in "Phone Booth." I was smiling when I saw Farrell on screen because it meant the writers had created a character filled with imagination and ideas that made the movie a joy to watch.

Aside from Farrell, another bright spot in "Phone Booth" shined with the emergence and second breakthrough performance turned in by his co-star, Radha Mitchell. With enormous screen presence and impact turned in by Mitchell, she is an actress whose name will be called as a winner of the academy award.

The bottom line is "Phone Booth" is an underrated film that will bring everyone pure satisfaction and serve as great entertainment.

my applause to the cast & crew, 2 June 2004

Smart, energetic, funny, exciting and underrated; these are just a few adjectives that describe "American Outlaws;" a western that will take everyone by surprise. Colin Farrell is a breath of fresh air and Gabriel Macht is a pure delight as they take the reigns in one of the funniest westerns I have seen.

Farrell and Macht are joined by Scott Caan, Timothy Dalton, Kathy Bates and Ali Larter whose comedic, intelligence and intense talent to create a film that is rich in character driven performances.

Most of the credit must be given to the writers of "American Outlaws" because they took the western genre and created one of the most unique westerns in recent years through the addition of humor. With action-packed sequences, strong performances and smart writing; the writers made the audience look at westerns in a whole new way; clever and stylish.

Though I feel originality is important in any film I see, it is not always necessary for a film to succeed. "American Outlaws" contains many cliché ridden scenes, but the true genius of this film is the presentation of the film.

Inspired by actual events, "American Outlaws" takes the audience on a comedic journey through the lives of the James-Younger gang and their battle with Allan Pinkerton and the railroad.

The success of "American Outlaws" partially stems from the great ensemble performance provided by Farrell, Macht, Larter, Caan, Bates and Dalton. It was apparent from the start that the "American Outlaws" cast gave maximum effort was going to take me on a satisfying comedy thrill ride through the Old West. It was clear that the cast of "American Outlaws" had fun together making the film, so when this occurs everyone is guaranteed the film will bring satisfaction.

Charisma, intensity and courage; these are the elements brought to the screen by the latest breakout star. I must admit it took me awhile to get over the shock of watching a charismatic, youthful looking actor steal the spotlight from his talented co-stars, but that is exactly what occurred with Farrell in "American Outlaws." "American Outlaws" allows Farrell the opportunity to step out of the shadows into the limelight to take his place among the best young actors in Hollywood.

It didn't take long to realize the discovery of the next big movie star would be found in "American Outlaws" with proof coming from Farrell's energetic and fun performance as Jesse James. I was smiling when I saw Farrell on screen because it meant the writers had created a character filled with imagination and ideas that made the movie a joy to watch.

Aside from Farrell, another bright spot in "American Outlaws" shined with the emergence and second breakthrough performance turned in by his co-star, Gabriel Macht. With enormous screen presence and impact turned in by Macht, this is an actor who will soon hear his name called as a winner of the coveted academy award.

Rounding out "American Outlaws" is the addition of Timothy Dalton and Kathy Bates. Commendations must given to Dalton for making the character of Allan Pinkerton a delight to watch. It didn't take me long to recognize that he was the right man for the job. With his look, demeanor and presence, Dalton confirmed my suspicions.

A short appearance can sometimes be the most memorable as with the case of the actress who portrayed Ma James. Bates has always been a favorite of mine because she brings credibility to each film she stars in. With "American Outlaws," Bates role is short, sweet and to the point.

The bottom line is "American Outlaws" is an underrated film that will bring everyone pure satisfaction and serve as great entertainment.

Well done horror flick, 28 May 2004

"Halloween H20: 20 Years Later" is a film that made me jump out of my seat. Jamie Lee Curtis reprises her role from Halloweeen to bring this movie to the forefront of scary movies. Jamie Lee Curtis' mother, Janet Leigh, adds her name to an already stellar cast.

I was impressed by the young talent this film had. Jodi Lyn O'Keefe, Josh Hartnett, Michele Williams, and LL Cool J are just a few of the young actors I found to be better than the cast of "Scream," and "I Know What You Did Last Summer."

While those films had its share of scares, this film had scares that were scarier and might actually pass as real. At every turn, Michael Myers is there to kill everybody in sight. Some of the stuff he does to his potential victims even made me jump because I didn't expect it to happen at that time or in that way.

This is a film that ranks right up there with "Psycho" starring Janet Leigh and Anthony Perkins. My score is 10 out of 10.

Don't waste a night watching this film, 27 May 2004

Chris Kattan and Will Ferrel may be two of the most talented comedic actors, but nobody would know it by watching their performances in "A Night At The Roxbury." Twenty minutes into "A Night At The Roxbury," I asked myself what the point of making this was. Among the many problems with "A Night At The Roxbury," include poor performances from every actor, and storylines that made no sense.

It is beyond belief that Kattan and Ferrel star in a movie that contains a plot that makes no sense. I can't believe actors such as Loni Anderson, and Richard Grieco added their names to such an awful film. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY on this film.

Wow, 26 May 2004

I chose to see "Dracula 2000" because I knew if I didn't watch it I could possibly be missing out on one of the best Dracula films ever made. My decision paid off because it turned out to be one of the most worthwhile Dracula films I've seen.

Originality and believability are two factors "Dracula 2000" was a success in my eyes. These are very important to have to make a film successful. The most enjoyable thing about this film was Dracula because he was portrayed as having emotions rather than rage as previously portrayed; furthermore, with this added quality, I almost felt sorry for Dracula because of the story he told.

I need to give the cast credit because they made it much more enjoyable because they brought attitude and humor. Rising stars were discovered in Justine Waddell, Gerard Butler, Jennifer Esposito and Sean Patrick Thomas; furthermore, veteran Christopher Plummer added credibility to an already stable film that could have survived on its own.

It was a pleasure to sit through this film because I didn't know what to expect next; furthermore, it kept me on the edge of my seat. Who would have thought that "Dracula 2000" would have such an appeal on so many levels. I hope there would be more Dracula films made like this because people will take to it more than the same old thing over and over again. My advice to everyone is to see this film.

Toss this film, 24 May 2004

"Pitch Black" is the type of movie that makes me sick because nearly the whole movie was completely unwatchable and nothing worth telling others about. The script to the film was out of sequence, the storyline was filled with confusion and was a reminder of another awful movie called "Soldier."

The only thing to come out of this film was the performance of Riddick turned in by Vin Diesel who was in "Saving Private Ryan." I guess good performances in good movies follow certain actors around. Luck was on the side of Diesel in "Pitch Black". "Pitch Black" is a dismal film that does not see me clapping for greatness.

awful, 24 May 2004

"The Cider House Rules" disappointed me greatly because after 30 minutes in the movie theater, I wanted to leave because it was told in such a one dimensional fashion.

I must have dozed off during the film and woke up at the end when the film was at the best point. There was more than plot going on in this film that really cost it from being a spectacular film. On one hand, we have Homer Wells the orphan who has not seen the world helping his fellow orphans as a doctor's assistant; on the other hand, we have Homer Wells who is viewing the world while having an affair with an engaged lady.

Tobey Maguire, Chalize Theron, Michael Caine ad Delroy Lindo couldn't have saved this film no matter how hard they tried. I blame the writer and the director for this failure to communicate to me what the point was and make it clear enough for me to understand the plot.

Page 1 of 17:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]