PiranianRose

Page 4 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4]

Heartpounding and intense ride, 18 November 2004

I've seen films hailed as masterpieces from Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin. Then I saw Safety Last, and no other silent movie before or since has quite captured my enthusiasm in the same manner that Safety has. The first half of the movie was filled with delightful gags as expected in the traditional silent cinema. Then the climax came, and I was literally on the edge of my seat gasping with my hands covering my mouth. In one of the most mind-blowing stunt sequences ever filmmed, Harold Loyd climbs atop a tall building (slowly and miserably, for maximum suspense), encountering every obstacle on the way, each one tightening every muscle in your body to the limit. It's a thrilling ride like no other.

[9/10]

Excellent fun, 18 November 2004

Our Hospitality is truly a work of art from the silent era. Buster Keaton amazed me with his stunts, which I dare say do not pale in comparison with those of Jackie Chan. The story is filled with wit and suspense. At times you laugh, at times you gasp, at times the world trembles as Keaton delivers death-defying stunts. This is one of the first silent movies I watched in its entirety, and I was thoroughly impressed with the film-making quality. While I wouldn't go as far as to prefer silent movies over their contemporary sound counterpart, I like how soundless movies invite you to pay particular attention to the facial expression--it's all there in the actor's face. I personally prefer Our Hospitality to Keaton's acclaimed "The General."

remarkable film-making, 14 November 2004

Pulp Fiction is remarkable in the sense that it doesn't offer anything groundbreaking; yet when you piece the parts together, the unified film is refreshing and captivating. Quentin Tarantino as a fan implements cross-genre references ranging from Spaghetti Westerns to Asian action films. Not entirely bound by any genre, Pulp Fiction reinvents modern cinema in many ways, and QT has created a unique identity with his dialogue-driven stories and implied offscreen violence, among other creative styles.

A good film does not necessarily need any jaw-dropping scene by itself, but it must work as a total system. While Pulp Fiction may or may not put you on the edge of your seat at any time, the entire film is well crafted to form a memorable and entertaining cinematic experience.

Definitely worth seeing, but not all pleasant, 3 April 2004

Here is an awesome big budget period war movie from Thailand with exotic locations, exquisite costume, and exciting visuals--all this is great of course, but it can't hide the lack of focus in this movie. Every few minutes, there comes a "break" in the plot, where the pictures fades and a new section is shown. There are too many of these breaks, which do not have even transitions. Looking further at the plot, we can see that Suriyothai is absent from most of the movie, so the beginning narrative remark that "this is the story about the woman that sacrificed for her country" does not hold. Instead, this is about the transfer of power from people to people during the few decades of Suriyothai's life. We could even take Suriyothai OUT OF THE STORY entirely and it would not change much of its purpose.

Overall, Suriyothai is no extraordinary film. It has a great budget, which makes it look lovely to the eye, but it lacks a heart.

I did see the cut version [142 min], which I consider a misfortune on any occasion.

Zatoichi (2003)
Kitano's Zatoichi, 27 March 2004

Zatoichi is only the second film I've seen from Kitano (Kikujiro being the 1st). Kikujiro was a nice overview of the japanese director's sense of humor--the playful child in him. In Zatoichi 2003, the humor is again all over the place: we have a blond zatoichi, two guys taking a bath in the same bucket--one of which is diguised as a woman; not to mention the famous tapdance -- all inexplicable and mindless, but tons of fun nevertheless.

I get the impression Kitano is a bit obsessed with the concept of child molestation. In both Zatoichi and Kikujiro, there's an old man who tries to suck a kid's genital. The difference is the mood: in Kiku, the scene is pure comedy, whereas in Zatoichi it serves as a sad scene.

Overall, Zatoichi is a pretty awesome movie. I plan to watch it again in the near future.

Page 4 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4]