dbborroughs

Page 1 of 351:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A disappointing film, 6 December 2014

Noah Baumbach's film concerning a documentary filmmaker and his wife who have lost their friends to the baby track is disappointing. The couple, Ben Stiller and Naomi Watts, meet up with a younger couple played by Adam Driver and Amanda Seyfried, re-spark their lives but questions creep in about what the younger couple is really after, and what is the right path in life.

To be honest the film is enjoyable on its own terms. It has laughs and is occasionally strangely moving.

The problem with the film is that the terms of the film are kind of messed up. The film has a big subtext concerning honesty in documentary films and a quest by Stiller's character to uncover what the Adam Driver character is doing- the problem is the film subverts it and throws it aside in the final minutes. The collapse begins when the Charles Grodin character, a respected documentary filmmaker makes a speech about integrity and then two minutes later says that everything he had just said (and said pretty much in the film up to that point) doesn't matter. Its a wtf moment that had myself and more than a few people in the audience at The New York Film Festival scratching our heads. The film's the collapse is kind of complete at the end of the film which is a kind of out of left field turn for the Watts and Stiller character. The ending kind of throws numerous plot lines aside and is a feel good moment that feels contrived.

When the film ended I was left confused. What was Baumbach going for?

After the NYFF screening someone in the audience asked Baumbach the questions I wanted to. He said that all that mattered was the final bit of the film. That was what he was going for and everything he was doing was for that. He also added that we shouldn't have paid any attention to the integrity/making a documentary stuff since he only put it in so that the Stiller character had something to do. We weren't suppose to have paid attention to that since that isn't what the film was about.

Really?

Without that the film really isn't about anything. Without it the film doesn't have a reason to be seen.

Truthfully I don't hate the film, I hate its construction. The film has moments and characters but its as morally bankrupt as the Adam Driver character.

A disappointing film

Very good but this should have been a short film, 2 September 2014

Tim Jenison works out how it was possible for Vermeer to paint what amounts to photo realistic paintings with a great deal of ease. He then builds a full scale room that matches one in a Vermeer painting in order to further prove it.

I'm mixed on this film. While I think Tim pretty much proves Vermeer could have used this method to paint the film, I'm still pondering why the film runs 80 minutes especially after 15 he's proved his point.

Yes I completely understand that seeing Tim paint the copy is the point but taking it that far raises more questions than are healthy such as how Tim learned to paint and mix colors and how it would be possible for a regular guy to just do it.

Don't get me wrong but at a certain point I just wanted to know why this film was longer than say a half an hour.

Worth a look but its little more than a Discovery Channel documentary.

Its nice but not deep, 2 September 2014

This look at critic Roger Ebert is a nice film. It is not deep or very much beyond a friendly look at the man and his work.

Forgive me for taking a less than glowing position on the film but I would have liked something more than what amounts to a warm and fuzzy remembrance of the man. The bad things in his life are sped over and we dwell in the places where Roger was a king. That's all well and good for an in memoriam piece or cinematic eulogy, which is what this amounts to, but it doesn't make for a wholly compelling documentary and somewhere the group hug of the film wore thin.

While I completely understand that this was put together as Roger was dying and completed after his passing by friends and family I would have liked a little bit more meat, especially from director Steve James.

To be completely honest I don't know where this film will stand in say five or ten years down the line when Ebert will be less fresh in people's minds. WIll this film be remembered or will it just be a footnote as a film about a guy who used to review movies?

Probably my favorite film of all time, 26 June 2014

Don't ask how many times I've seen this film-the answer isn't healthy...

Jacob Krupnick's dance film is pure joy. Set to Girl Talk's All Day album the film is simply three people dancing across the New York City interacting with people on the street.There kind of is a story- one girl wants to get the world to dance while two guys try to have her fall in love with them through dance.

Shot on the sly the film is was done via guerrilla filmmaking. Krupnick and his dancers just showed up at a location and shot. The interactions with the non dancers in the film are real (Anne Marsen really is being tossed from Yankee Stadium and the subtitled question about why she was dancing just happened). Some times they used music to dance to some times they just danced. Krupnick then edited it all together using the available for free mash up album (in reality one one hour and fifteen minute long mix) as his soundtrack.

The result is a film that is pure joy on film. There is no pain and suffering, only a call to dance. This is one of the most perfect marriages of film and music I've seen. Trust me I've watched the film with out sound and I've listened to the album without the image and both are not as good.Together they make a perfect whole where the lyrics fall away and we just have the sound and the cadence causing out heroine and her suitors to dance.

Because of problems owing to copyrights with the music the film is not in regular release but can be seen at the Girl Walk All Day website or at its frequent screenings at various events.

However you see it just see it. For get the idea of a plot,forget your troubles and just dance

As I said my favorite film of all time.

(The info on the making of the film came from an interview I did with the director)

Special ID (2013)
You know its not good when the star says bad things about it, 11 June 2014

Weak action film is far from Donnie Yen's best.The plot has Yen as a deep cover cop battling a crime lord.

I interviewed Donnie Yen when this film played at the New York Chinese Film Festival in November 2013 and before I could say anything about the film, or anything t all, Yen began talking about how disappointed he was in the film. He went on to talk about how the film was put together the wrong way and was doomed never to work. He seemed to be distancing himself from the film, which was strange since no one at the festival had seen it yet. You know a film can't be really good if its star bad mouths it.

Actually the film is't horrible. The plot is a mess but the action mostly works and sometimes that's enough. In the present case it's almost enough, certainly the film would be worth seeing streaming or as a loaner, anything so long as you're not paying much to see it.

Donnie's done mostly better and he's done worse.

Moebius (2013)
You'll either love this hate it or stare in utter disbelief, 2 June 2014

If you want safe go elsewhere. Anything approaching a normal film American family drama go elsewhere. If you want anything that isn't offensive go elsewhere.

The easiest and least exploitative way to explain the plot is to say a couple is having martial difficulties which explodes and ends up crippling the son. Where the film goes from there is the film.

(Spoilers follow)

Actually where the film goes from there involves castration,rape,incest, masochism ,violence, murder, and riffs on the legendary films PERCY and PERCY's PROGRESS. There are more twists and turns than any sane mind would make.

Oh and did I mention there is no dialog in the entire film?

How is it?

I have no idea. Horrifying? Silly? Strange? I was staring at the screen in disbelief even while I was laughing at the proceedings. Its a whacked out mix of things that kind of almost works and kind of almost doesn't. Its a bold attempt at doing something.

I don't think its successful- but it is interesting in a kind of road accident sort of a way.

Should you see it?

If you like the real off beat and don't mind disturbing things give it ago. On the other hand if you're sensitive or easily offended stay away.

Disappointing look at the displacement of a community, 25 May 2014

I saw this at Tribeca and was disappointed. The film concerns the attempt of the Indian government to remove a community of artists and performers so that a fancy high rise can be built. The artists are assured that if they sign off on the deal they will get nice new homes built elsewhere. Of course the deal isn't all that's been promised.

Heartbreaking story is weakly told. After a magical opening where we get to know some of the residents and what they do the film degenerates into what seemed to me to be over an hour of people yelling at each other. A little goes along way. I wanted to see something other than people yelling at each other- I'd have liked a little more clarity about what was happening on all sides.

There is a story here but this isn't it

Final Lash La Rue is largely made up of from an earlier film, 8 February 2014

Final Lash La Rue film is pretty much an extended flashback made up most of the earlier film Outlaw Country.

The plot of the film has Lash arrested on suspicion of being a bad guy taken to to the sheriff's office Lash relates the tale of the time he was mistaken for his his brother. The story he tells is illustrated from sequences from the earlier film.

While the final La Rue films aren't bad on their own terms watching them in close proximity to the earlier films makes seeing them redundant. I had picked up the Echo Bridge collection of 12 La Rue films and proceeded to watch them over two or three days. the trouble arose when I moved to the second DVD which is made up of the later films which while fine on their own terms borrow very heavily from the films that had been released only two or three years before. Had I not watched the films more or less all at once things would have been fine, but seeing this film a day after the other one killed any fun I might have had. If you can see this on it's own you'll like it, but seeing it close to Outlaw Country isn't advised.

Good Lash La Rue film despite being made up of pieces of other films, 8 February 2014

Lash and Fuzzy have to take the new Governor to Capital City in order to set up a new law and order government.It seems that outlaws have been running roughshod all over the territory and the new governor is needed to set the army on the bad guys. Of course the bad guys don't want that the happen and take steps to stop it.

If you think you've seen this film before odds are you're right since many of the sequences were lifted from earlier films in the series. Watching this film as which appears as part of the Echo Bridge release of 12 La Rue films. I realized that I had seen everyone of the action sequences before, in several of the previous 7 La Rue Films I had watched over the previous two days.

Is it a bad film? Absolutely not. Actually if I didn't know that most if not all of the action sequences were lifted from other places I would have liked it even more.

Worth seeing especially if you haven't seen a lot of Lash La Rue westerns.

Less action more musical numbers?, 8 February 2014

Attempt to do more with the Lash La Rue and Fuzzy series goes kind of sideways as we get a plot heavy film with more talk and music than action.

The plot of the film has Lash and Fuzzy going undercover to try and find the Dalton gang who have moved west and taken up new identities. The pair tracks the bad guys to a saloon where they spend a great deal of time trying to get evidence.

While I applaud the boost in budget but I'm not too sure about the rest. Running about a half an hour longer than most other Lash La Rue films. If there was more action I'd be all for it but instead this one full of music and novelty acts on the saloon stage. Okay yes there is a lengthy battle between singers, but that, like the songs is just filler.

I'm mixed on the film which certainly looks good but never generates much real interest.By the time the film cuts loose in the last 20 minutes I kind of lost interest even with Jack Holt as lead bad guy.

Page 1 of 351:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]