steve-1241

Kyle (2007)
Gritty and realistic, 5 April 2010

Kyle is an independent film by John Bradburn and it is gritty,realistic and rewarding. Kyle is determined to start his life afresh and we see him working at a busy market and his efforts to fit into a society that has scarred him in the past. Running parallel we see a young desperate mother struggling to bring up her daughter for whom she will do almost anything.The film cleverly links together these two strands that ultimately join together at the conclusion. Hugh Blackwood as the mothers 'Boss'plays a decent man who ultimately ends up loathing himself at his attempt to help his employee while satisfying his own desires. The film has a timeless feel to it, it could be set in any decade, from the sixties to the present day, and addresses real issues.Bradburn has drawn great performances from the cast and Blackwood & O'Neil are surely destined for more success. Bradburn could be a worthy successor to loach and Leigh given the chance, a stunning debut.

A superb trilogy,Mortimer,McKern & Rumpole, 5 January 2010

Mortimer is such a clever writer and his creation Rumpole is a work of genius,and who better than to pull it all together than Mckern. The author always weaved in 3 stories within an episode, the case,the chambers & home life with She Who Must Be Obeyed.Every episode is worth watching and even some of the weakest bare strong comparison with any other drama. McKern is mesmerising and you cannot take your eyes off him when he is on screen.This is truly great entertainment and the supporting cast are magnificent. This series is probably the greatest of all time as courtroom drama.

Perfection.

Good flick, 4 January 2010

This was a really good thriller about a serial killer and the police efforts to catch the killer.Angelina was excellent in her role and the acting and mood of this film worked well.I much preferred her in this as compared with the Lincoln Rhyme movie although she plays a similar part. I cannot understand some of the negative reviews about Taking Lives as I thought it was a good example of the genre. It gripped me all the way through and if I must pick fault it would be with the ending, I did spot it but having said that maybe people will not.The locations used were spot on. The guy who wrote the source novel may be worth checking out. I give this 8 out of 10.

getting to know you, 16 July 2007

When Rawson is suspected of selling secrets, Drake's boss wants to bring him in. Drake will bring anyone in but he has to be sure, he then befriends Rawson. Drake posing as a nervous teacher opens up dialogue in a pub when Rawson takes pity as his classical vinyl records are destroyed by some rowdy youths(amongst them Wendy Richards). With their mutual love of music established Drake moves closer into Rawsons circle. There are some great location shots of Fulham Football Club as the two 'friends' watch a match although Drake is looking for Rawson's contacts. This episode is a great example of Mcgoohans acting range, as he develops a new persona every week. Sixties espionage does not get better than Danger Man.

This Life + 10 (2007) (TV)
a satisfactory re union, 3 January 2007

Incredibly good attempt to tie up up the time elapsed since the original series. Anna seems to be the only one not to have moved on, she seems just the same as 1997. Egg is now a success on the writing front but still he has issues with Millie,perhaps the addition to the family is the glue keeping them together. Miles with his shaggy hair looks more carefree these days, but I remembered him as a focused individual, who I am sure would not have got into the trouble he has at present. Warren has moved on professionally but at what cost to his private life? The documentary format works quite well and the constant sight of black and white images in the camera view finder perhaps indicates that all of the group are bearing their soles with gritty honesty. The music(especially) Portishead really does take you back ten years. A searing. marvellous piece of TV drama.

Gregson steals the show again, 17 November 2006

John Gregson plays a hard nosed businessman who is a workaholic. He gets blinded by a prototype lightbulb blowing up in his face. As he was the one to push the lightbulb to its maximum he caused his own fate and this film sees him in a tortured painful state throughout.One advantage of his blindness is that he cannot see the dire wooden acting!! of Michael Dennison. Dennison is someone I like but his performance in this film must have stunk the place out.The music in this film is quite brilliant and counter balances Gregsons state of mind and he slowly believes that he is going mad. John Ireland probably offended by Dennisons acting disappears from the film about three quarters through. All in all an effective little shocker except for Dennison whose acting is abysmal.

John Gregson is George Gideon, 3 October 2006

With the arrival of the box set of Gideons Way, hopefully more people will get a view of the superb John Gregson. Jack Hawkins played Gideon in a very flaccid film directed by John Ford. As much as I love Jack Hawkins, John Gregson is the definitive George Gideon. The series really does evoke England of the sixties and there is a multitude of famous names cropping up in this series. John Gregson was a superb actor and he is largely forgotten now 30 years after his death in Porlock Weir. With this box set and his appearances in Genevieve and Rooney perhaps now people will realise how good he was. There is a web site showcasing the great man designed by his great nephew http://www.johngregson.org.uk/. John Gregson is George Gideon but George Gideon is the great John Gregson

nostalgia in the slaughters, 2 October 2006

A film that I have only recently discovered. I taped it late one night and copied in onto another tape cutting out the adverts. What a marvelous little film this is with the subliminal message that nobody is going to change the English village way of life. I made a point of visiting Lower Slaughter yesterday and the village is identical to how it was 62 years ago. The mill wheel and the bridge behind it remain the same, great film, great location and a marvelous slice of social and cinema history. I am sure that I saw a Tawny pipit in the distance.Unlike the Titfield Thunderbolt which shows an England that does not exist anymore this great film shows locations that remain the same to this day.

great show but some personal observations, 25 July 2006

He resigns so presumably he has written his letter of resignation at home. His home is in London and he drives to HQ to finish his employment, so why drive down a runway?? He is not John Drake, as Drake would have already packed his bag and be ready for a quick getaway. John Drake as Danger Man/Secret Agent would never be so sloppy. Mcgoohans running style is a bit girlie that is why Rover always gets him. Colin Gordon had the worst laugh of all the number 2s, Leo Mckern was the ultimate no 2. The Girl who was death is a good companion piece to the Mr Lovegrove episode of Danger Man. Lastly even though the 60s were a more civilised time I cannot imagine No 6 leaving his lotus outside with the top down.

magnificent portrayal of lust and consequence, 13 April 2006

alongside Saturday Night & Sunday Morning and a Taste of Honey this is a great companion piece. Alan Bates is superb as a draughtsman in a busy factory and June Ritchie brings a tender portrayal as the object of Vics(Bates) desire. Thora Hird as the mother in law from hell is quite frightening and her scene with Vic Brown being sick behind her sofa is a classic. you filthy pig you filthy disgusting pig

You can feel her loathing. Some great support from Jack Smethhurst and the always excellent James Bolam. The scene that I favour is where Vic is getting bored with his situation and tries to get sympathy from his sister, his sister suddenly turns on him and tells him to get his life sorted, made bed lie on it etc. An absolutely fantastic slice of early 1960,s life.