ajaydsouza

Poseidon (2006)
Good special effects, but could have been better, 13 May 2006

The movie storyline is same as that of The Poseidon Adventure (1972) and so it was predictable in some ways.

A good thing was that they didn't stick exactly to the original storyline, or it could have been really boring.

A major plus point about this movie is the special effects. The capsizing of the ship and its over turning is fantastic and keeps you glued to the screen. The depiction of the dead bodies is also done really well. Some of them really made me squirm in my seat!

The acting front failed to impress. There weren't really spectacular performances from any of them, though Josh Lucas does do a good job. And Emmy is really gorgeous (lucky Mike ;) )

Also there are quite a few scenes which do not make sense in the movie, especially towards the end.

Overall a decent movie. Worth watching once.

Firewall (2006)
Watch it for Harrison Ford, Watch it for Paul Bettany, 26 February 2006

Went to watch Firewall today. Honestly, inspite of having read a detailed description of the movie I didn't expect much. However, being a fan of Harrison Ford, I decided to give it a shot.

The storyline isn't spectacular or out of the ordinary, so that won't be something you would want to watch the movie for.

What initially interested me was the entire computer security angle. Turned out to be a disappointment as I found the movie to be less on computer security and more of action and drama.

Harrison Ford has been in the movie business for around twenty years (read grown old) and so he fit into the character of Jack Stanfield perfectly. He is well backed by Paul Bettany (who excels in this role) and Virginia Madsen (who plays his wife).

Besides these three, there isn't much acting by the other characters. Some do play substantial roles but being sidekicks don't gather much attention to them.

But, I will be honest to point out that the storyline turned out to be really interesting in the second half. Well, it didn't diverge from the existing theme but Paul's entire plan makes it interesting and makes you appreciate its ingenuity.

One spectacular scene was the fight in the end. I say spectacular because it didn't appear artificial as can be seen in a lot of fights in a lot of movies. This was a fight of a civilian fighting back in desperation.

Enough said. Watch it for Harrison Ford. Watch it for Paul Bettany.

King Kong (2005)
Just Go Watch It!, 16 December 2005

Caught the first day last show of this movie. Just three words. Go Watch It! Based on the original King Kong movie but with a change of scenario. The best actor in the movie is King Kong without doubts. He is well backed up by Naomi Watts, Adrian Brody and Jack Black who play Ann Darrow,Carl Denham and Jack Driscoll respectively.

The movie had all emotions rolled into one. While some scenes, like the one where she performs in front of King Kong, keep you in splits, others like when he is chloroformed and also where he is shot bring tears to your eyes. There are moments of frustration seeing how really stupid and self centric Carl can be and we also have the little romantic moments between Jack and Ann.

The special effects were fabulous and the sound effects were even better.

Overall, I was very impressed by the movie. Just had a few facts out of place, like when he falls off the Empire State Building and the road below doesn't even have a dent!And as far as I remember you can't find three T-rexes in the same area.

Am giving this movie a 8/10.