Reviews

71 ReviewsOrdered By: Date
Chappie (2015)
A Movie that Fails to Deliver
10 March 2015
Trailers can be a taste of things to come or (in the case of Chappie) a bad taste that you want to spit out and get your money back. The vulgar dialog was annoying to an extreme but worse yet was the countless times I couldn't understand much of the Brit slang and dribble. Then there's the storyline that was so ill conceived and often cartoonish while carrying an "R" rating.

Hugh Jackman and Sigourny Weaver should be required to sit through this manure and explain how they justify such a badly scripted film. I don't usually trash a film unless it's so bad I feel the need to save others and warn them that this film deserves a warning to avid movie goers to avoid this and save your money.

Final point here to share is the believability of the scientific scheme and plot of this Sci-Fi film. It just makes little if any sense. The viewer eventually begins to laugh at the unbelievability of the storyline. This film reminded me of a quality film of similar science fiction. It was called "Short Circuit." Chappie, unlike Short Circuit, has no direction, no characters worthy of praise and no valid merit of lesson.
60 out of 115 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Movie to Send a Message
20 February 2015
A Capra like film to stir the heart. To be touched by the little guy stuck in the grips of poverty. Still it delivers on man's emotions that touch you deeply if you believe in the goodness of nature. Kevin portrays a teacher on his last legs trying to find his place in teaching field.

While this film attempts to tell a "TRUE" story the film doesn't quite deliver that story without issues. All in all it does send a message to believe in practice & hard work paying off.

Was something missing? Yes!! All in all an entertaining movie with a solid message but the truth is in the fact that it's a true story as is given it's just due.

In order to capture the feeling of "real" storyline the film stumbles along the way trying to nearly get the message of the issues of prejudice and poverty. It is a very ..Feel Good Movie to give the viewer a sense of hope thru hard work.
6 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Bullseye No - Worth Seeing Yes
3 February 2015
I have trusted through the years Keven's selectivity of movie scripts he accepts and devotes his efforts to entertain and motivate the viewer to watch and come away feeling a valued lesson was learned.

The beginning scenes seem awkward and confusing to this viewer. I sincerely felt Eloise never captured her roll. She seemed shallow while dealing with the sudden death of her grandmother who died suddenly and tragically.

The court and the basis of plot actually come full circle in the issues brought to trial. Elliott and Rowena seem to want whats best for the child but seem determined to clash in spite of seeming to get along for the most part. Butting heads continually are Keven's vice (liquor) and Reggie's crack addiction.

Many reviews concur with much of what I found missing in this film. Thus it is a worthy film with some rather limiting flaws. Still I enjoyed it most of the time.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Unbroken (I) (2014)
A docudrama that works for 30 minutes
6 January 2015
I had high hopes for this film but it fell into an abyss that turned hopelessly a drag. Unlike the greater film "Fury" this film wanders along slower, and slower to the far too distant end. Angela attempted a major task in the making of this film and it simply was lacking in it's meat of story. It simply became a movie shallow in substance.

Even the audience became watch lookers and ...When is this going to end?

As to what worked, I again praise the opening scenes and storyline thinking it was enlightening as to the dog fights between Jap Zeros and the U.S Bomber Squadrons. It was the highlight of the film. Realizing just how intense the air battles were.

Angela..you have done well but on this film you fell short. Here's hoping you learn from this train wreck.
7 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Big Eyes (I) (2014)
A Movie Lacking Many Things
3 January 2015
This movie had so many shortcomings. Amy gets a B grade and she is believable in her portrayal of Margret. Amy obviously is not a regular "smoker" so this distraction that the cigarette industry must have paid dearly to heavily plastered this film with their product was obvious.

The most enjoyable aspect of this film were the large number of vintage era cars down to the "Imperial" that was simply classic.

The script left much to feel shortchanged. Sometimes a movie suffers from the wrong actors playing the wrong parts for a believable story. Waltz was "overkill" in so many scenes that it was comical. Margret's young daughter in early scenes was well portrayed but the older daughter just failed to be convincing.

In an era when men dominated so many aspects of the business world this film did show the futility of a woman's plight back in the 50's & 60's.
8 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Interstellar (2014)
Not The Film I Expected By A Long Shot
8 November 2014
The problem is... Stellar is so complex and confusing you are at the mercy of tying together so many scientific issues you get bogged down in the constant slow dialog and the dragging delivery of the twists and turns of what has got to be the most complex multi-plotted movie I've seen in years. I sensed "overkill" of some scenes that seemed constantly drawn out that if I had a remote I would have fast forwarded through many parts.

I am a big Sci-Fi movie lover and as such I will bring huge praise to the writers and producers of well made movies of this kind. Before going to see this much anticipated film that was given spectacular and high praise from several cites such as IMDb, I was dumbfounded by what appeared to be a movie almost impossible to find fault with in those reviews. Whats more this film was much too long (2 hrs 55 minutes) including previews of trailers. No human bladder should be put to such an ungodly test. Lastly I want to again point out that many reviews are suspect in this world of questionable truths of opinion.
15 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
So-So Predictable Story with Weak Characters
11 October 2014
I went in expecting this comedy to deliver at least fun and laughs to enjoy but, alas, it fell extremely short on almost every aspect of story, comedy and character developments. Who ever did the casting should not have done so. Either that or somebody must have decided to pay up on favors.

The beginning was predictable as was the plot as was the final ending. You know a film is bad when the kids and parents both seem restless at many points during the film. This film lacked substance and creative material not to mention a brief and simple title for average movie goers.
34 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
No Frozen & No Masterpiece
20 July 2014
This was a huge disappointment from my perspective. It lacked any substance of storyline and fell short on keeping the audience (Kids) interested for the hour and a half. Really boring at points. The only redeeming aspect of this animated film for families was the very impressive look of the film. Great scenery and camera shots putting the viewer right in the cockpit of the planes. This film will fad in time and will only be considered so-so for most viewers. Kids deserve better than this and the level of quality should be more interesting of characters. Disney deserves better material and clever comedy to entertain an audience. Family films coming up short this summer sadly.
5 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
How Bad Can A Film Be? This Bad!
3 June 2014
There is always a bottom of the barrel and this scraps the bottom of the bottom. When comedy is achieved funny comes through but sadly when it doesn't the movie goer finally gets up looking for the exit in hopes of finding any other film in the multiplex. Fifteen minutes was painful enough.

Bad jokes and bad script make this a competitor for worst film of the year or possibly the worst since "Heaven's Gate." In the movie industry after a Big Grand slam Homer your next movie has the fans anticipating great things but when this movie hit foul ball after foul ball it simply seemed empty of fresh humor or even oldie but goody tried & true humor. Hollywood is throwing money around all too often and insulting the adult movie goer's intelligence with films like this that don't deserve our money. Please say there are better films ahead this summer or it's going to be dismal season as I see it.
12 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Something Rotten In Denmark
10 May 2014
I find it hard to trust the 1st dozen or so reviews on some films found at this sight. Of course I could be mistaken but, I saw this film and found it to be full of nonsense and trite cliché dialog. With the mega cast that participated in the making of this film I expected a much better and more interesting story to be explored in this sequel classic.

As I watched the various characters enter the beginning scenes I felt they were very cardboard like. The few comedic scenes seemed almost too childish even for children. As to the animation, it was not to my liking. It seemed that it was taken from generic Saturday morning cartoons. It was bland and even boring to a degree.

Lastly I noticed that production costs of this animated film were surprisingly much more than I expected it to be. Nearly a million bucks a minute. I felt that for that kind of mega bucks this should have been a higher quality of product. The next few weeks will show weather the movie goers buy and or embrace this less than stellar movie.

Not every children's Animated film can be a "Frozen" or a "Finding Nemo" but they should at least aim for that quality and level of product.
22 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this