abcvision

Page 1 of 17:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

The Dog (2013)
bow wow, 26 July 2014

I had never heard about John Wojtowicz but thanks to the movie The Dog, I know all about this icon. The documentary has several overlapping themes: the early days of the gay movement, how John became an icon of a robin hood of sorts, and how he was a man full of love. John was his own man and even the bank robbery he was involved in did not define him. A 1975 Oscar winning movie was based on his legendary bank robber staring Al Pacino called Dog Day in Afternoon. He was a convicted bank robber but his reason was noble. He was for robbing the bank in order to raise the money needed to fund his lover's sex change operation. John admits in the movie that he is over sexed, but his commentary captures a period where free love and Vietnam War clashed. America was in an identity crisis between the conservative g-men outlook and the free love and eventual disco 70s. It is honorable that John put the interest of his love Ernest Aron (later known as Elizabeth Debbie Eden) ahead of himself and just wanted her to be happy. John risk his life and even though it turned out to be a failed robbery, eventually the notoriety helped fund the operation. John, known as "the Dog", comes across sincere and as a noble character who always tried to do the right thing and how his big heart got in the way. In the end, the Dog makes no apologies for being who he is and he sums it best in his final thoughts, "Live everyday as if it's your last and whoever doesn't like it can go fcuk themselves and a rubber duck." Don't miss a chance to get the story behind the man that inspired Al Pacino's legendary role in the Oscar Nominated Dog Day Afternoon. The Dog is Directed by Allison Berg and Frank Keraudren and set to be release in NY and LA on August 8, 2014.

Lucy (2014/I)
Brain power, 26 July 2014

Lucy starts off with the introduction of an ordinary girl who is trying to make it in Asia. Lucy simply stumbles across a bad situation and gets caught in an international drug ring. This sets off a series of events that create an expansion of Lucy's brain capacity. Research says that we use only 10% of our brain, but what if we could ramp it up and be able to use all of it. This would seem incredible but would this be ability that we would really want. Lucy is incredible, fast pace, full of suspense and points to questions, without passing judgment or being preachy.

Scarlett Johansson showcases her full broad skills as an actress as she transitions from a sex kitty to a genius scientific intellectual in the course of the movie. An remarkable movie that makes you think that sometimes it is better not to go full throttle but slow down and enjoy a smaller capacity and pace in the way we process the world around us. Lucy is a winner for those who like to think about the world of possibilities.

Hercules (2014)
Feats of Strength, 26 July 2014

If you idea of a good movie is to see a muscle bound Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson on a bigger than life screen grunting and seeking revenge, then Hercules is for you. Hercules appears with a lion's hide and the story is full of twists, but in essence Hercules and his merry men are mercenaries for hire. As in most good stories, the noble forces win out and Hercules is a force for good. He works on helping the daughter of the Lord of Thrace to save the kingdom from civil war. The set up is easy and the 3D effects are in your face action. At a bit of over 90 minutes it is tolerable and allows you to experience mayhem up close. Hercules, as in most good action epic tales, spends a large amount of time setting up the case for a series. This sword and sandal action movie makes for quite an experience.

Begin Again (2013/II)
Loving glances, 26 July 2014

Begin Again is a sweet movie about the fragility of love. How it can be there one moment and gone the next. Gretta (Keira Knightley) and Dave (Adam Levine) were bound together with the struggle to make it in the music world and mutual infatuation. Suddenly Dave makes it and moves on while leaving Gretta behind. In comes in Dan (Mark Ruffalo) and sees potential in her music. Dan has his own love troubles and dealing with a stagnant career as a music executive. Dan is the ultimate "Mr. Nice Guy". Lots of loving glances and creative innocence is experienced on the big screen and this tale is about self discovery and the complexity of dealing with change. Regardless of what life throws at you, you got to believe in your dreams and move forward because in the end it all works out. Overall it is a feel good movie of the normal lives of regular folks who are struggling to make it.

Fly Away, 23 July 2014

Planes: Fire and Rescue is about second chances. Dusty is a hot shot plane until one day he is at a crossroads in life, so he decides to join the world of fire rescue. Filled with a cast of fun characters this movie touts on bravery and the forgotten machines that protect us during unexpected natural disasters. In this case it is fire. There is a little bit for everyone, excitement, romance, and team work. This movie is cute and has a fun story line. The animated characters give a reality to the behind the scenes of fire fighting. It also gives you a boast on the optimism of new opportunities. No matter what happens you are able to reinvent yourself and be a part of the team. Colorful and enigmatic Planes: Fire & Rescue make you ready to take on a life of adventure.

Rights, 23 July 2014

I did not see the first Purge movie so I went into Purge 2 blind. I had seen a few trailers so I know a bit of what it is about. It is really about the golden rule, which is he who has the gold makes the rules. In Purge 2, the time is ticking for an annual ritual when all laws are suspended. For one night society can cleanse itself and if you do partake you can kill rape or whatever you want to get the hostility out of your system. This "purge" is sanctioned by the Government and an idea of the new founding fathers. The Sergeant (Frank Grillo) is on a mission to avenge his son's death and is then caught in a dueling situation between a few innocent by standards. This makes him the leader of these lost four and he takes him through the maze of chaos on that night of mayhem. There are some pretty violent intense scenes but the movie kept my interest as the themes dwelled on the social economic divide in society. Sounds like a good idea to be able to vent your frustrations for just one night, but it all depends on which side of the social divide you are in and where you might be able to hide out.

Now for something completely different, 21 July 2014

The five surviving members of the most famous British comedy troop, Monty Python, came together for one last hurrah on stage at London's O2 Arena and broadcast world wide to an estimated 50 million people. I remember as a young boy watching the show and it was my first introduction to high brow British humor who never failed to test the envelope of adult silly fun. I was able to catch the last performance on July 20 in a local theatre in Marietta where I live. The first theatre I went to in at the Kennesaw AMC 24 was sold out and I had to scramble across town to find a seat. A mix of multimedia video and live stage performances the group hit the best known skits that revolve around SPAM, Ministry of Silly Walks, and the dead parrot. Of course no one expects the "Spanish Inquisition" and they came barging in their red vestments. The boys looked a bit older, but we all are a bit older but the laughs continued as they did not miss a beat in their mix of randy humor. The man of international mystery, Austin Power's creator came in to do a cameo for celebrity or everyman and Stephen Hawking also in the audience was there to clarify the wonders of the Universe. The world has changed a lot since 1969 and it was interesting to be able to keep up via social media how folks around the world were enjoying the same thing I was watching in the comfort of my local theatre. Two more opportunities to see the show on participating screens around the world on July 22 and 24 but it will be a rebroadcast. The group has had its last hurrah. Thanks for the laughs and as their closing number reminded us "Always look on the Bright Side of Life". Well done sirs.

Sex Tape (2014)
Sex MP4 File, 21 July 2014

Sex Tape has lots of sex in it. But once you get past that you realize that it is really about trying to break from the daily routine. The best scene is when the young daughter Nell (Giselle Eisenberg) makes the observation as she is on her way to school that is "this what life is about?" You get up do your stuff, sleep and get up and do it over again. The dad, Jay (Jason Segal) tries to share that it is not true. The premise of the story is that Annie (Carmen Diaz) and Jay (Jason Segel) have lost their mojo. They simply are not having sex. In order to spice things up, Annie recommends to Jay that they film themselves doing the dirty. Well, it did spice things up but the video was spread among friends. The stigma of a sex tape has lost it's scarlet letter appeal and in today's world seems to help, aka Kim Kardashian and Paris Hilton to name a few. But in the magic of Hollywood, Annie and Jay fight and scramble to discover all the lost copies. Sex Tape is tamer than the trailer leads us to believe but its real message is keeping the fire hot in a marriage is hard but there is a lot more to a good marriage than hot sex.

French cookie, 21 July 2014

One movie that had been on my list to watch was Last Tango in Paris. It was heavily referenced in the documentary Seduced and Abandoned where Bernado Bertolucci shares how this movie captured a side of Marlon Brando and he refused to talk to him for 7 years after that. The movie is about an American played by Marlon Brando who finds himself in Paris after the death of his wife. He seeks comfort in a French woman Jeanne (Maria Schneider). They begin a passionate affair that pushes the limits of lust and sexual ecstasy. At the time of the release this movie was given a rating of X, but seems pretty tamed in today's world. The story came from a dream that Bertolucci had about having an anonymous sexual encounter with a woman he did not know or never would know. Pretty much every man's dream, pleasurable erotic, guiltless sex. It blends the magic of the French sensuality with the aggressive American attitude. A masterful film and a classic that needs to be seen by all movie buffs.

Part time lover, 21 July 2014

The Cannes Film Festival is a yearly celebration of films, from the blockbusters to the lesser known. However in the back drop of this glamour is the back room deals that make movies come to life. Alec Baldwin and director James Toback take you behind the scenes of this circus as they discuss the process and seek funding for their own project. Along the way they cross paths with players of the industry and get the nuts and bolts of what makes the movie business tick. Cannes is a glamorous film festival but it also is a hot bed of action and the nitty gritty of the unglamorous side of movie making. Movie making business is a challenge, as repeated in the film Orsen Welles shared that "I look back on my life and it's 95% running around trying to raise money to make movies and 5% actually making them. It's no way to live".

Page 1 of 17:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]