lindaz

Saw this when I was six years old in 1955, 30 August 2013

I'm, therefore, giving it a ten because that was the effect it had on me at that time.

I haven't seen it since then, but the awe of it has stayed with me.

It starts off showing this average little boy. He has a good home and kind parents. He's curious about everything. Just a typical little boy.

He has "treasures" that he keeps in a cigar box under his bed. A dead butterfly, a pretty stone, his prize marbles, etc.

I won't go into too many details so as not to spoil it, but his death...which was presented so softly that I can't even remember it...and his entry into Heaven is sweetly presented.

The film (from what I can remember) had a playful-little-boy feel to it, and at the same time you could feel his awe over Heaven, the gorgeous angels, beautiful pastel colors, crystals reflecting sparkling lights.

Then comes a special occasion, like a banquet, where everyone in Heaven goes out to meet God.

That's as far as I'll go.

I'll conclude by saying, "The Littlest Angel" left me, as a child, believing that there was hope for me. That I was being watched over and my life mattered. That I was going to be okay.

I once told the story of the entire movie to a group of teenagers and their response surprised me. They loved it.

I know that 80's people might love this film, but..., 19 November 2012

...I was a 60's teen and I confess that I'm spoiled by the meaningful, gifted writers and talented musicians of that time, but even then,this film was just plain dull. It was a superficial cream-puff written to appeal to romantic young girls and boys dreams of becoming rich and famous.

I'll say one thing, aside from the cut-and-pasted plot, held loosely together by an uninteresting story, they sure save a ton of electricity as it was filmed outside at night or in a dark bar at night.

Tom Cruise character I won't even bother to comment on, but Baldwin and the other guy kissing? I could almost hear their 9 o'clock shadows sand-papering. Why oh why do we have to be subjected to this gross out?

The story-line was generic, and except for Baldwin, the acting was in no way spectacular. But, of course, if you just want to watch a cute boy and girl sing, then this is the film for you.

It's obviously not my thing, but I was shocked to notice this film is classified okay for 6 year old children. Who rated this thing? Herman Munster?

One of Woody's all-time Best and (IMO) funnier than most., 5 September 2012

Everyone in the audience was laughing at the dialog and the funny plots. We were definitely in a crowd of Woody Allen fans, even a new-comer would have been laughing.

I read the IMDb reviews before watching this film and not all were so positive, so with trepidation we bought the tickets and I'm SO GLAD we did.

I can't remember laughing this much while viewing his other films and I enjoyed nearly all of them. Compared to his last goody, Midnight in Paris, the camera-work and lighting were not as well done, but the humor, the actor's delivery and their lines were spot on.

There are 2 characters (male) who deliver lines that are definitely from Woody's own experiences. A few times while watching, I could imagine what it would be like to be in his place or in the place of any famous person that realizes they are just a human-being like we all are, yet battling with "idol" frenzied fans.

One thing you know you're going to get in Woody's movie is clever, intelligent and very funny dialog. This film delivers all of that and more.

Someone commented that this movie is too long or draggy. My husband and I feel that one scene could have been shortened a bit, but all in all, it was just right for anyone who is a Woody Allen fan.

Aside from the plots of the film, the views of Rome make you feel like you're there. One can fully understand his enchantment with this culturally rich city and it's "roman"tic inhabitants.

If you love Woody Allen films, don't miss this one.

Pure, tongue-in-cheek, humor from start to finish., 11 October 2011

Pure, tongue-in-cheek, humor from start to finish.

A near perfect film. Stanley Tucci and Oliver Platt make a great duo in this comedy about two starving actors.

Desperate for food, they decide to con a pastry chef out of some of his pastry. As previously planned, Platt comes to the pastry chef's "rescue", but instead of getting pastry, he gets two tickets to see hack stage actor, Jeremy Burtom excellently played by Alfred Molina.

Through a series of incidents, Burtom threatens the boys with imprisonment if he catches them, The two end up accidentally stowing away on a cruise ship and that's when everything gets complicated.

An excellent cast was assembled for this superbly funny script. Watch for Campbell Scott, son of George C. Scott. His portrayal of a Nazi-like ship steward is hilarious.

My hat goes off to Stanley Tucci for doing an excellent job writing and directing this film! I only hope more people can see this jewel.

Pure, tongue-in-cheek, humor from start to finish., 11 October 2011

Low budget, low humor, low-classed, tasteless and generic. Trash., 10 August 2009

This movie being rated with a similar rating as such a great films as "Some Like it Hot", "Dr. Strangelove" and "Annie Hall" shocks me.

So generic. I find nothing funny about the same old gag trick of someone suddenly vomiting (which didn't look real, but I don't care), a car being trashed, people beaten up, cars trashed more, more beatings, slap-stick gags, breast shots, genital shots and ugly fat asses and more vomiting.

Certainly the writer or whoever, wanted to use shock effect since most people nowadays have seen so much and heard so much that they have to go quite far to shock, but this was sooo cheap and low grade. A few others here have mentioned this as well and I really wish I had read their comments, but they were too far down the chain of praise for this stupidity. I only read the main comment that the IMDb gang has posted as the representative comment. Not to slam IMDb, it's a terrific site and I've used it for years, but there needs to be a balance so that people like myself don't get sucked into shelling out my hard-earned money to be dragged through this trash.

It starts right off with insipid, re-hashed, foolish-high-school-kid type pranks which drones on to the very end. And that weird pedophile. What humor does anyone find in a pedophile? Do most people nowadays think it's funny? Or maybe it went over their heads. I don't know. Then the poor little baby was obviously frightened on purpose to get him to cry. Just that alone was upsetting me.

I did laugh in a couple of places, but that was after I'd already been sitting there for half an hour kicking myself that I'd actually paid to watch this garbage and that short interval of ha ha didn't make up for the rest of the film which leans heavily on the above-mentioned cheap, low-grade, slutville humor.

If you read the Plot Summary you are in for a SPOILER!, 29 July 2009

Whoever wrote the plot summary blew it majorily big time. He not only gives the plot summary, but he summarizes the entire movie down to about 8 sentences thereby ruining it totally for anyone who wanted to watch it.

I would make this comment shorter, but if I do, then the IMDb thingy will throw it all out. Since I couldn't find a place to click to report this major spoiler, I am writing about it here.

While I'm on the subject, I think it would be really useful to have a "spoiler alert" button we can push. I was very interested in watching a certain movie a couple of years ago and came to IMDb to check out the plot summary. Again, in the "Comments" section, some bozo had written out the best parts of the film and then ended it by saying something like, "And the main point of the suspense in this movie is to make you believe it's based on a true story. Well, it's all fiction, folks. None of it is true. It was just made this way to get you excited." Result? I was very very excited. So excited that I reported that stupidity at the time, but now can't find anywhere to report to. Maybe I'm just having a "blond" moment here and it's in plain sight. In such a case, please excuse me.

One of those warm, sweet Victorian stories., 30 July 2006

Nellie is one of the children of the hired help. Samantha is a lonely little, rich girl. They befriend each other and are a comfort to one another.

Historically interesting as well. Brings out the way life was for children regarding child-labor in factories. They were more like slaves than employees.

This film really drew me in, mainly because I love films regarding the Victorian time period. But the movie is mainly about the relationship that Samantha has with her grandmother and uncle and Nellie. Everything appears to take a turn for the worse when her uncle introduces his fiancé. Samantha fears that she will now be more alone than ever, but the kindness of her uncle's new wife wins her heart.

Everything in this movie turned out the way that I would have wanted it to. Love conquered all.

The Apple (1980)
One of the most interesting films I've ever seen., 14 March 2006

I liked it so much that I've been trying to find a copy of it. Anyone know where I can get it?

The movie has been picked apart on the grounds of the music or this or that, but I feel some have missed the point. It's to me a highly spiritual film and I've often wondered if it's been slammed because it so exposes the cut-throat music industry? Hmmm.

Anyway, even though the actors were not entirely top of the line, I like the fact that in other areas, like wardrobe and kinky set decorations, no expense was spared. At least, it wasn't cheap looking Yes, it's got some creepy types, but that's what I liked about it.

The two main actors, though not the best, were perfect for the part in the sense that they fulfilled what they were supposed to be. Square. To me this only made the point more clear. The actors are not the main point, the message is. And the message is "Love". Maybe too corny for those who are jaded by too many action films and expensive computer graphics.

A fascinating insight into the workings of a genius and the interactions of excellent artists, 11 January 2006

I borrowed this video from a friend and now I'm going to buy it if I can find it. It is excellent in so many ways.

First off, watching a master like Bernstein makes everyone else in the craft pale by comparison. I'm not an opera buff, and I'm no expert on conductors, but watching Bernstein was always a treat for me. He's a perfectionist. That I can see, but his over-flowing passion is contagious and kept me riveted.

But this documentary/passion play isn't only interesting because of that. To hear Bernstein's commentary on the movie "West Side Story" and how he came to write the score for that just thrills your soul. Aside from that, hearing the other singers comments on Bernstein, especially Kiri Te Kanawa who's obviously enthralled to be there, is just wonderful. The chemistry between these two is tangible and then there's the reverse. Bernstein lays into poor Jose Carreras so hard that Carreras starts chewing his nails. After they've been at it for several days, you can see that the recording session isn't going to Bernstein's liking and it's obvious that he's worn out. I felt like I was given a special behind-the-scenes viewing. It was great.

As I speak Spanish, I just happened to read a Spanish review about how "Carreras handled himself like a gentlemen." Baloney! He let go some curses that would curl your hair if it was translated into English.

It all makes for a very insightful voyeur's haven of documented human emotions, passions and play.

If you like music, human interaction and entertainment, you'll love this docu. I can't recommend it more highly and Tush-tush! to anyone who tells you differently. If you're a Bernstein fan, run out and buy this film!