lumenessence

Travis (2015/III)
I got goosebumps..., 14 October 2007

It's rare that we see such a new and original take on an old story. The Sasquatch myth has been around forever, but this film gives us a whole new way to look at it. I can't say too much without giving anything away, but I can definitely recommend this film.

After the film was over, and on the entire drive home, we had a heated discussion in the car about various aspects within the film.

From David Blair's frat-boy like performance in the beginning, to Kent Harper's completely believable portrayal of a demented, but curious recluse, all the characters were well acted and believable. Mostly, however, Adam Pitman was a shining star. The range of emotions he went through not only highlighted his acting talent, they made the whole story, through the twisted turns and trails it takes, completely believable.

To anyone considering picking up distribution, you'd be a fool not to. To those who know of a showing near you, go see it. You won't be sorry (but you might be scared.) I was afraid of Sasquatch (don't call him Bigfoot) when I was a kid. After seeing this film, that fear is creeping back up on me.

Kudos on a well-written, well-acted, well-produced, and high-quality piece.

Save your time and money, go get a lower GI instead., 31 August 2005

In the past I have read negative comments about films and not listened, deciding to judge for myself. That is a mistake I wish I hadn't made for The Brothers Grimm. I am not a difficult person to please. Heck, I'm a fan of movies like Dead Alive, The Phantom of the Paradise, and Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Give me a reason to care about a character or two, make it so I have a reason to want to see someone live, or die. In this case I found myself wishing for the death of the brothers, simply so that I could leave the theater and get on with my life. I started in a caring mood, but after the plot was introduced, I lost interest quickly. The only reason I give this movie two stars is that somewhere toward the end, it crossed a line and became so cheesy I could enjoy it for pure camp value. Not only can I say that this is the worst movie both Heath Ledger and Matt Damon have ever made (Yes, I saw "Stuck on You"), I can honestly guess that not a single person in the cast (of thousands) has ever made a worse film.

Ghost Rock (2003)
All the makings of a cult classic. Including Adrian Barbeau!, 19 October 2004

Alright, the movie might have been poorly scripted... and directed... and acted... and, um, edited... not to mention poor sound production with regards to dialogue synching and Foley (when someone falls through a solid wood hitching post it does make a sound)... BUT it features Adrian Barbeau.

Well, she alone might not make up for all of the problems this movie features. I believe it was a conscious decision to cast her so that when the movie bombed she might catch the attention of her fans and push the movie into cult status (She did make Swamp Thing).

If you don't want read spoilers, don't go any further. Not that it matters much with this movie, but I like to be polite.

First of all, straight razor slash cuts bleed... a lot.

Secondly, if you want us to understand that a character dies, show that character die. I had no idea if the little girl in the beginning of the movie was dead or alive. Maybe Johnny should have visited her grave when he returned to town?

Speaking of Johnny, when we see him in the first scene, he is a thirteen-year old boy hiding in a barn to avoid the bad guys. Years later, how are we supposed to know he was the boy hiding in the barn? Throw in a sequence where he dreams about the incident? Yes, it's cliché, but it would have helped.

Speaking of clichés, STOP! At least they make note of the fact in the dialogue that "Everyone is talking in riddles."

In a magical world where ghosts not only interact with other characters and take baths, apparently they also grow older. How is your audience supposed to know that this woman is the little girl from your youth? As a matter of fact, how did Johnny know? He didn't recognize her, it isn't possible.

Maybe, if you had shown Johnny and Savannah exchange gifts (a necklace or something) then you could have used that item to identify them later. I realize this would have taken more time to develop, so drop the scene where the preacher is frightened by the bad guys in the middle of nowhere. The slaughter of the Marshals should be enough to convey their arrival.

Speaking of the arrival of the Marshals, since when do they ride in the engine of the train? Well, we see the remains of a train later in the fight scene, so apparently it was wrecked years ago and just the locomotive is in operation? Having been to the studios where they made this movie I can answer that one, all they have is a locomotive.

In conclusion, get the word out to Cult Movie fans, see this movie. It has potential to be the next great cult classic!