rookie_director

This Was a Film I Could Not Crack, 12 May 2013

A Review of The Great Gatsby

It is sometime after midnight as I write this. My head is still pounding due to the three dimensional glasses I wore when watching the 2 and a half hour long The Great Gatsby. If someone were to ask me right now: what did you think of the movie? I would be unable to answer in speech. The only way to convey my opinion of this movie is through text, precisely what I am doing here. The story centers on the mysterious Jay Gatsby (Leonardo Dicaprio), a self-made millionaire with a questionable past, and his relentless pursuit for the love of his life Daisy Bucannan (Carrey Mulligan). The movie was based on F. Scott Fitzgerald's novel that was published in 1925. The Great Gatsby was a movie unlike anything I had watched before. As I left the movie theatre, I couldn't crack it. The film itself, with all its technical aspects and star-studded cast, is excellent. Dicaprio gives a stunning performance as Gatsby from the minute we first meet him. If there is anyone living today that could evoke the kind of confidence and hope that Gatsby possesses, it's Dicaprio. As for Carrey Mulligan, the only adjective I can use to describe the effect her performance has on the movie watchers is breathtaking. She is Daisy. The sweet, innocent, self-sheltering girl from the novel comes to life on screen thanks to Mulligan's acting ability. Yet, there is one character that shares in this spotlight, Nick Carraway (Tobey Maguire). Throughout the entire film, Nick seems to be the only character sober enough for us to latch on to. He guides us through the craziness of the 1920's and does a fantastic job executing the narrator style. Further enhancing the film's allure is the time period, the location, and the ability of director Baz Luhrmann to bring the reality of it all to the screen. For those of you that have studied up your history on the 1920's, you know what a crazy time period it was. As Nick comments in the film, "the buildings were higher, the morals were looser, and we all drank too much." Luhrmann paints the 1920's across the screen throughout the entire film. The only thing that stuck out like a sore thumb was the choice of modern hip-hop/rock/music for the soundtrack. However, I found myself gasping in certain scenes because there is just so much to take in at once. In fact, the first half of the movie feels like one long, crazy 1920's party.

However, what truly shocked me was the ability for the novel to be placed on screen so fully. I've seen quite a few movies that originated from books, and they all seem to leave huge chunks of the plot out. Not this movie. This film is by far the best novel to movie transition I've ever seen. The themes that are present in the book (the ones we all studied in English class) are present throughout the crazy journey you take with Gatsby. So if you're one of those people who think the movie will never be as good as the paper form of the story, this one might change your mind. And another thing, even if you have read the book, you will leave the theatre with a deeper understanding of the story, perhaps deeper than you wanted. It's one thing to read about the corruption, carelessness, and downfalls of the characters, but it's another thing to actually see those things. I was pleasantly surprised overall. I had seen Baz Luhrmann's Romeo and Juliet and I did not enjoy it. But thanks to Dicaprio's and Mulligan's amazing performances and the whirlwind scenes that dot the movie, I give it two thumbs up. My advice, go out and see it as soon as you possibly can.

Rating Warning: Rated PG-13 for some violent images, sexual content, smoking, partying and brief language.

I give it 7 out of 10.

What Others Have Overlooked, 28 December 2011

After reading through many of the reviews for this particular film I have realized that many viewers are focusing on the wrong aspects of this film. To truly appreciate this movie, a viewer must not only be focused enough to recognize some of the symbolism of the story and the motif of the statement "the world is not enough," but viewers must also think extremely hard about the characters. Denise Richards, who plays Dr. Christmas Jones, has been slammed quite thoroughly throughout many reviews I have read. Some argue that she is not mature enough for the role. Now, I do not know her personally, but my opinion of her is that she was by far mature enough to play a beautiful nuclear scientist. I am sure that many of you that have watched this film would agree with me on that statement. Another commendation of a performance I would like to give is for Sophie Marceau. Sophie played Electra King, the rich heiress whom James Bond must protect. I personally thought she gave a fantastic performance. I had never even heard of this actress, and I was very pleasantly surprised by her acting ability. Pierce Brosnan gave a great performance as Bond as always, and the action scenes in the film were exhilarating and fun to watch. Overall, I thought this was a great film and will be adding it to my collection of favorites.