devileye03

Funny perfect Sunday movie!, 6 January 2014

~NO SPOILERS~ Funny perfect Sunday movie! Leonardo DiCaprio's performance, his portrayal as this lustful, greedy and confident stock broker was superb, specially the white Lamborghini Countach scene, when he as Jordan Belfort is full high on drugs! Matthew McConaughey's act at the start of the movie was excellent. Margot Robbie looks gorgeous. Martin Scorsese's direction made sure this long story was always interesting with its black humour. Finally thanks to the real Jordan Belfort for telling his story to the world. A great movie for entertainment if you can ignore the use of 'F' word for at least 506 times in 3 hours! Also if you are smart enough, the movie can also teach you why its necessary at times, to not cross the line! For the love of Hollywood, don't miss this one!

Iron Man 3 (2013)
A fragile Iron Man 3 suit, RD Jr still handles it! - (NO SPOILERS), 13 May 2013

I like the Iron Man franchise as from these movies I got introduced to this exceptional actor, Robert Downey Jr. I always look forward to his movies. He has a personality so unique and it perfectly suits the character Tony Scott. The panic attacks, the humor, every detailing of his character in this movie has been well executed by him.

Iron Man 3 was fun to watch summer superhero flick. This is the first movie I am watching which is directed by Shane Black. The screenplay is fast. The story for me is average with fewer laughs and not better than the first 2 movies of the franchise. The only thing which saved this movie for me was Robert Downey Jr.'s charm and the amazing climax which was a treat to watch. Gwyneth Paltrow as Pepper Potts looks very fit & pretty. She gives a nice performance as her character gets more detailed and has a friction with boyfriend Tony Stark. Ben Kingsley is an unexpected surprise package to watch out for, but is it likable or not, thats for you to decide. Guy Pearce is smart and gives a good performance.

The cinematography and action & VFX sequences are very cool and do entertain you to an extent. Especially the climax action and the scene where Tony & Pepper reunite. Tony's brief camaraderie with the little kid was sweet but not memorable. The direction of Shane Black was good but not without flaws. I liked the dark humor but at times it border lined Iron Man as a superhero ridiculing himself to the brink! I liked the advances of the technology that Tony is been shown integrating in his new Iron Man suits, but showing them being shattered into pieces every now and then depletes the Superhero quality in Tony for which he is looked up by the audience. Tony Stark is a genius and by the 3rd movie he should be so brilliant at making suits, that the suit can't end up being a piece of joke which really irked me. Secondly though the thought of Mandarin was a very good one as an antagonist, it wasn't executed in a deadly way. The villains of the first 2 movies were far more effective.

Overall if you are fan of Iron Man, you will like Iron Man 3 withstanding its shortcomings. Otherwise its a onetime watch. Robert Downey Jr.deserves one more outing for sure in the Iron Man suit, as I applause his performance and wait for the next sequel, hopefully!

Oblivion (2013/I)
Oblivion - Unique sci-fi movie with a unique title. Deserves a watch! (NO Spoilers!), 17 April 2013

Tom Cruise is one of my favourite actors. And he collaborating with Joseph Kosinski for OBLIVION makes it even more exciting as I was extremely impressed with Joseph's debut directorial- 'Tron Legacy' which I missed watching on the big screen. So I had to watch OBLIVION in a theatre for sure.

I won't write any spoilers because otherwise it won't be a must watch film. Oblivion is a sci-fi fantasy with full on suspense, thrills and the sci-fi part is just the vessel carrying the story with an emotional core that has a beautiful connect to the audience. It gives out a loud message that no matter how hard we try to be like practical machines in the modern era, we are still only humans with feelings.

The cast is small but effective. Tom Cruise as Jack Harper is as usual a brilliant protagonist and gives the film a replay value. But its my personal wish to see him for a change in a complete drama, romance or a historical epic again. (like Vanilla Sky, Jerry Maguire and The Last Samurai). Andrea Riseborough gives some steamy scenes with Tom, specially the unique swimming pool scene is to look out for, which is aesthetically shot. I found her performance far better than Olga Kurylenko (the ex Bond girl). Morgan Freeman in his brief role is memorable.

The cinematography & VFX shots are spectacular. Reminds me a bit of 'Prometheus' which is good in a way and adds to the realism of the plot. The 'shattered moon' shown in the sky is a brilliantly creative example of the visual effects.

The story is quite unique though I wish the duration could have been decreased and the climax could have been more interesting than it is. Some amazing futuristic gadgets are shown in the movie like Jack's ship and his cool bike which are visually appealing on the big screen.

I can't forget to praise the amazing sound and background music. Tron Legacy's soundtrack is already a hit and Joseph Kosinski made sure this was no less. He as a director has shown excellence again and Oblivion is entertaining enough to question that this was his second movie only! Really impressive.

Oblivion is a good movie, a commendable attempt for bringing an air of freshness in sci-fi genre, even though it falls short to be a masterpiece. Must watch experience.

Kai Po Che is a good movie but it just missed the bullseye!, 27 February 2013

I went with a lot of hope for the movie Kai Po Che. Abhishek Kapoor directing it after 4 years. The movie being adapted from Chetan Bhagat's novel, the trailer, my city Ahmedabad being the backdrop and Amit Trivedi's amazing music were the sure reasons to watch Kai Po che.

To start of with the pros, the movie is beautifully picturised. Credit goes to Anay Goswami to showcase the colours of Gujarat, Ahmedabad city in the best way through his camera. The trailers do mislead you of it being a friendship movie, coz its actually more of a friendship being slowly destroyed as the story progresses, much like the title of the novel suggests - 3 mistakes of my life. So its not a "Dil Chahta hai" or a "3 Idiots" at all.

Sushant Singh Rajput's debut as Ishaan is of high energy and good screen presence. Raj Kumar Yadav who underplays with his role acts really well as Govind. Sushant and Raj are more prominent in the first half. But Amit Sadh steals the show in the 2nd half as Omi. Omi is the most likable character for me and I could empathize with his confusion and situations in the climax. Well done Amit Sadh. Amrita Puri is very natural and a beauty. Manav Kaul is confident and acts well. Abhishek Kapoor directs the movie with total honesty to his subject and does justice to it. Amit Trivedi's music is the best thing about the movie but in small quantity with just 3 tracks which is disappointing.

Now what I didn't like was the screenplay- Being a Gujarati myself, I feel my state has much better things to talk about than the 2001 earthquake and the train massacre (already shown in Mausam) which the whole world knows and doesn't need to be reminded about. Its not entertaining for me at least. So even if this movie was derived from Chetan Bhagat's novel, Abhishek Kapoor did make changes with the storyline of the novel and characters and could have made a screenplay without these mentioned events. Also what a waste of songs which were not picturised appropriately! The sports shop initiation scene could have used an all together different song with similar lyrics instead of 'Hey Shubharambh', which was a lovely Gujarati garba track and should have been used in the garba sequence of Govind and Vidya (I expected that from the trailer) instead of the stupid song 'Pari hon main'. That could've been more entertaining.

So all in all it turned out to be a serious drama with a guilty for life Omi and a very sad climax. Kai Po Che could've been much more entertaining. Nevertheless, I admire the director for his conviction towards his job and the effort put in by the team. For me Kai Po Che is a good one time watch movie with songs worth keeping on repeat.

Special 26 (2013)
Not at all the kind of movie which will want you to leave your brains at home! Thats what I like!, 12 February 2013

~NO SPOILERS~

I wanted to watch Special 26 coz of 2 reasons, 1) Neeraj Pandey who wrote and directed 'A Wednesday' 2)The trailer of course.

Special 26 is a film based on the main theme of heist done by a group who act as fake CBI officers. The group is headed by Anupam Kher and Akshay Kumar. Also a love angle is introduced between Akshay Kumar and Kajal Agrawal to spice up the entertainment value. Manoj Bajpayee and Jimmy Shergil also play important roles.

Pros- Acting wise Anupam Kher was absolutely brilliant. The first slap given by him to the PA of a minister is the highlight of his confidence, while a particular conversation wit a gun pointed towards him by Manoj, shows his variations and finesse as an actor. Next comes Akshay kumar who has finally done a sensible movie according to me after ages(OMG was good too). This is one of his best acts. He exudes wit, confidence, love and a quirky sense of humour. Manoj Bajpayee is the perfect cast for his role. I liked him more in this movie than Gangs of Wassepur. Jimmy Shergil did good job. Kajal Agrawal is a beauty to watchout for. The casting of every role is so precise that the whole cast keeps up the mood of the movie with their amazing dialogues.

The writer, director Neeraj Pandey has again done full justice with the story and the movie. Well done. He has now emerged as a director to look forward to. The costumes and ambiance will remind u of late 80's. The camera work is good. The screenplay is fast and you won't be bored, except for a few songs which are OK. The only song which lingered with me was 'Mujh mein Tu' sung by Akshay Kumar. Its nice.

The only think which bothered me was too much use of background music in long 'walk' sequences, which gave them more exaggerated feel rather than being realistic. Besides this little con, the whole movie is something not worth missing. The climax is brilliant but not too brilliant(ask me the difference) as I could judge it well in advance, but still an amazing screenplay attempt. Similar to the climax of Don (2006) or Race (2008) in terms of the unthinkable twists and turns. Finally the title seems funny when you will see the film. Special 26 is a special suspense, thrilling heist film. Must watch!

Total Recall (2012/I)
Total Recall- One of the best sci-fi genre movies!, 26 January 2013

This review of mine is more like my voice of disagreement with people who didn't like the 2012 version of Total Recall. But first I'll point out what I liked about both the versions.

Total Recall(1990)- Of course Arnold. I felt a certain rawness in his act which I liked. He actually looked unaware of things going around, as his character required. For Sharon Stone,she was simply stunning! Enough said. The story was far ahead of it times and stands the same even today thats why it deserved a remake. This is the 2nd movie of Paul Verhoeven's direction that I have seen.(I have seen Hollowman), and his amazing work in Total Recall and Sharon Stone are the 2 reasons, I want to see Basic Instinct now. Also I liked the fact that this was one of the last movies which used miniatures,like for showing Mars planet. Bravo to the team, amazing work. Overall, an entertaining concept, performance and movie.

Total Recall(2012)- I liked the major change in the original screenplay and not using idea of Mars and still keeping the same concept of the original Total Recall. Requires a lot of creativity to bring out and create something new from something which is already a blockbuster. Thats the most exciting part of this version. Of course there are scenes which are more of a tribute to the original and shot with new technology and effects. Colin Farrell is an amazing actor. I liked him in the flick 'The Recruit'(2003) and for me he was equally good in this one. Also in this movie, Colin Farrel doing a smooch scene with the director's wife(Kate Beckinsale) in front of him, requires a lot of confidence and professionalism. But Kate comes nowhere close to the charisma of Sharon Stone. Jessica Biel here stole the show. She did a good act. Len Wiseman as a director did take a risk of choosing this remake and I appreciate he came up with something like this. I liked his work in 'Die Hard 4'. This movie is not as huge hit as its predecessor, but its neither a complete washout. But personally I liked the remake and it was entertaining for me.

Comparisions- I don't care why critics panned the 2012 version. Both versions were quite different in terms of execution of the same concept. Also I equally liked the sets and the ambiance created in both the movies. In the end, either ways I enjoyed the experience of Total Recall(just like Inception). But still if I had to pickup one thing better from another, then I would say, Total Recall(2012) missed out a point because it didn't have Sharon Stone! Must watch both of them!

Total Recall- One of the best sci-fi genre movies!, 26 January 2013

Tom Cruise going strong at 50., 9 January 2013

I haven't read any Jack Reacher novels by Lee Child. So I went for this movie just on the basis of the trailer and the impressive filmography of the lead actor. And I wasn't disappointed at all. Director Christopher McQuarrie who wrote 'Valkyrie' has joined hands with Tom Cruise once again. Jack Reacher is a kind of suspense, crime, action movie which I haven't seen for a while. Its a story of a crime investigator solving a case and finding the murderer of five lives. Tom Cruise as the lead is intelligent, confident, highly trained, ruthless, smarter than the cops and funny too as he never drives his own wheels. As the title goes, with every moving frame in the movie, the lead character gets more detailed, whether its the dialogues, some cut-scenes, his questioning about the crime scene and the motive behind it or just his impressive weapon skills. And Tom Cruise took this to his advantage and has given an admirable performance. Rosamund Pike is still as gorgeous as she was in Die Another Day. She has done a good act. Director Christopher McQuarrie has done a brilliant job. Special mention for cinematography by Caleb Deschanel, the car chase sequences are very beautifully captured and executed, so is the movie otherwise. The dialogues are really nice and keep the tempo of the movie. One of my favorites is the one also featured in the trailer, "You think I am a hero? I am not a hero....", very well executed scene. The action scenes are good and not unrealistic. The only negative thing I felt was a little less screen time for the villains and just OK performances by them. Its the last movie that I saw in 2012, its an entertaining movie and surely worth a watch.

Talaash (2012)
Talaash is character driven, imaginative, emotional and an intense crime mystery., 1 December 2012

Talaash is one of the few better films that I've seen in 2012. The movie is basically about the search of two aspects, one of them which I believe has a universal appeal. That aspect is to get on terms with 'loss' in your life of someone special and close to your heart. Other aspect is the suspense behind an accident, the twist, the mystery.

Both these aspects make it a very emotional journey of suspense and thrills. Also that emotion intensifies as the screenplay progresses and it is amazingly portrayed by the lead protagonist, Aamir Khan as Inspector Sekhawat. He is brilliant and this is one of his best, intense acts, a complete 180 to his role in '3 Idiots'. Kareena Kapoor's subtle mannerisms and screen presence is one of the reasons to keep you interested throughout the movie. She stands out and for me this is her best act and characterization of 2012. Rani Mukerji and Nawazuddin Siddiqui, both do a good job with their given screen time.

Regarding the story, some of the reviews say its shamelessly copied from Hollywood flicks. Maybe there are similarities, but nevertheless I enjoyed it. Also it depends on whether you like the twist or the unfolded mystery in the movie or not, which is a personal choice. I personally admire Zoya Akhtar and Reema Kagti for bringing on such a suspenseful and thrilling narrative to the screen among the sea of stupid masala movies this year. The music and background score is good.

Special mention to the cinematographer K.U. Mohanan, one of the underwater sequences in the climax is so beautifully picturized that it will remain with me as one of the highlighted moments of Talaash. The direction of Reema Kagti is really good as she maintains the curiosity in audience till the end. Talaash is character driven, imaginative, emotional and an intense crime mystery. If you like this genre, its definitely worth a watch.

Life of Pi (2012)
Beautiful moments. Artistic with a special Indian touch., 29 November 2012

"All of life is an act of letting go but what hurts the most is not taking a moment to say goodbye." Thats the quote spoken by Irfan khan, which I'll cherish from this movie, Life of Pi.

The movie is spectacular in 3D. The camera work is beautiful and so are the locales. The screenplay is tight and the story is simple yet director Ang Lee has artistically made a different world in the movie. The CGI animation and effects of the tiger are so admirable that you won't believe that every shot on the boat with Suraj Sharma(young Pi) doesn't have any real tiger. That also shows the brilliance of Suraj's act as Pi patel, who was chosen from 3000 hopefuls for the lead role. Irfan Khan has such a good command over his dialogues, he grabs your attention instantly. Tabu and Adil Hussain are good in their brief roles.

Honestly, the movie did remind me of one of my favourite movies, 'Cast Away' starring Tom Hanks, which is incomparable. But Life of Pi has its moments and a special Indian touch. Do watch it in 3D.