johnnyrj

thought-provoking and real, 17 December 2014

Before I tap into what I really enjoyed about the film and why you should give it a chance, allow me to make quick comment about the Adam Sandler bashing which is rampant on IMDb.

Apparently it's trendy to hate Adam because every so often he makes or stars in a dog or two (movies), but the hate is misguided and nothing more than IMDb troll hype. There are numerous boards and threads which are completely overrun by people whose only interest is stirring up trouble. Somehow Adam was on their radar and low behold it became "cool" to dislike anything he was in, regardless of whether or not they had actually seen said film. Case in point are the numerous threads on this board related to this movie where the individual commenting never even bothered to give the movie a chance simply because Adam was in it. These posts should be ignored outright because they are nothing more than trolling to stir the pot.

Adam did a fine job in this movie and has proved once again that he can do serious and he does it very well. He's not a clown and he's not a blundering idiot contrary to the crap you'll read about him on IMDb. Give Adam a chance and you'll find an interesting movie that is very thought-provoking and touches upon a lot of very real subjects.

This movie speaks volumes about the state of our society in such a technologically advanced age and should be a wake-up call for parents and kids alike. It's not like there weren't problems before the invention of the internet, but this movie touches upon some of the pitfalls of the times we live in. I think it's an eye-opening experience for everyone.

The Raid 2 (2014)
Whoa man., 2 August 2014

So this is what's been going on in Indonesia? Color me impressed on every level. This is easily one of the most insane movies I've ever seen, and I mean that with the utmost respect, from the acting to the cinematography to the martial arts coordination to the direction. This is some next level **** man! Wow, just wow. If you don't mind the no-holds-barred violence, and love martial arts and action, this is pretty much all you'll ever need. I'm still in shock.

Highly, highly recommended.

I was somewhat impressed with the first movie, but this went all Empire Strikes Back and just blew the first one out of the water. Well done sirs!

Afflicted (2013)
A fun, well done twist on the myth, 12 July 2014

At this point I read all the negatives reviews first because more often than not they'll help you make the right choice. I've found this extremely helpful when purchasing books nowadays. If I hadn't read the negative reviews for Joe Hill's NOS4A2, I probably wouldn't have bothered because there was so much fanboyism going on with the positive reviews. Turns out the negative reviews pointed out all the things I enjoy in literature. Money well spent.

I applied the same principle to Afflicted. So many people were panning this movie for all the reasons I enjoy film that I just had to check it out. The trailer also hooked me pretty good, but without the haters taking a verbal dump on this little gem I probably wouldn't have bothered.

Flaws? Sure. But again, it's a fictional interpretation of a popular myth. If you don't understand that concept by now, quit watching movies all together. If you go into this for what it is (FFF genre) with an open mind, you'll enjoy the ride, and it is one hell of a ride. Great action sequences are replete and the story line is a fun twist on the myth.

I was pleasantly surprised with this one and I do recommend it to anyone who enjoys the FFF genre and the horror mythos.

47 Ronin (2013)
ignore the hate and give it a chance, 22 March 2014

This movie is visually stunning from start to finish and for that alone it gets a higher rating from me. If I have one criticism it's that it should have been done in the native language with subtitles but this doesn't take away from the overall look and feel of the story. I really enjoyed it and I encourage anyone who likes fantasy, anime or manga to give it a chance.

Most of the negative reviews simply hate Keanu and don't get what the story is about nor understand the culture. These reviews should be ignored outright. There seem to be an alarming amount of trolls using multiple accounts on IMDb to manipulate ratings. Use your best judgment and a keen eye to spot the trolls and give this movie a chance.

Crossing (2008)
Up there with Grave of the Fireflies, 7 January 2014

Having read Nothing to Envy by Barbara Demick, Escape from Camp 14 by Blaine Harden and The Aquariums of Pyongyang by Chol-hwan Kang & Pierre Rigoulot, I was very interested in finding a movie that dealt with the unfortunate realities of modern day North Korea as is detailed in the aforementioned books. I was not disappointed.

Keurosing is a look at a grim reality that most people would rather just ignore. It's a dark, depressing journey. Anyone who has seen Grave of the Fireflies will know what I'm talking about. The movie is well directed and the acting is very good. I highly recommend this to anyone who is interested in North Korea and has read any of the books I've previously mentioned.

Gravity (2013)
Gravity vs. Nerd Rage, 6 January 2014

It's really easy to sum this movie up. If you go into it knowing full well that it's a (surprise!) movie and you are just along for the ride, you'll enjoy it. If you going into this thing all hyper nerd rage, you are going to be sorely disappointed.

Sandra's performance is fine for this type of film. I didn't expect anything too technical from her and she didn't disappoint. Clooney is Clooney, what else is there to say?

The visuals are absolutely stunning, the dialogue only mediocre. That's it folks. Take it for what it is, a thrilling ride around space. There are technical faults and flaws galore which is what creates Nerd Rage, but this movie isn't about being realistic on any level, DUH.

not nearly as bad as the critics and trolls make it out to be, 26 September 2013

I spent months on here reading reviews searching for the truth which was not easy to find amid a sea of trolling, hate trending and bigotry. There are however a few reviews which touch upon an important point which is that this movie isn't a 10, nor nearly as bad as a 5. I struggled between giving it a 7 and 8 and finally went with an 8 because it stands up well to criticism which was based on the following:

1.) Jaden can't act and just whines throughout the movie. Wrong. His role is that of a jaded teenager who wants to be something more and is caught up in an extreme situation where he must become a man against strong odds. I thought he played the role perfectly.

2.) There's no plot and the movie is all over the place. Really? It's Science Fiction you dolt and you'd have to be a real toothless hillbilly git not to figure out the plot and direction of this movie. If you are challenged by the Survival Against All Odds plot than I guess maybe you need something a bit more obvious like Muppets Take Manhattan. Yikes. It couldn't have been more obvious there Bubba. Also, it's SCI-FI, and although it can go literally any direction it wants to, it doesn't.

3.) Will Smith is washed up. Say what? Go look at the list of movies he's done since the 90's. His movies make HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS, even the ones that don't still turn a profit. Jealous much?

Which all leads me to believe the overwhelming hate for this movie is stemming from nothing more than hating something because it's trending, jealousy, and probably some deep rooted bigotry which really has no place on an open forum like IMDb. It's pretty obvious there's something more going on here with the reviews than initially meets the eye.

Like science fiction? Give this one a chance.

c r a p o l a, 22 December 2012

My wife told me to come over and sit on the couch with her and watch this funny/cute movie. She had caramel corn so I figured, what the hell, at least I get a snack.

From the opening I had a sneaking suspicion this was going to be a movie version of Glee. I asked and she said, "Not really, but there's some singing..." I immediately began to shovel as much caramel corn as I could get, paying close attention to globules of sweet goodness until the bowl was empty, whereupon I got up and went back to work. My sometimes tedious job of localization engineering held far more appeal than a group of angsty college kids slogging their way through a contrived script, towards a plot that Helen Keller could have seen from halfway around the globe.

There are no surprises here other than barf. That's right, BARF. The only redeeming moment of this wet turd was the projectile vomiting. Had she vomited on the made-by-kids-forced-into-slave-labor MAC, I would have given this movie another star.

The whole, "oh dad just leave me alone to be me" thing has been absolutely beaten to death year after year by Hollywood to the point where I didn't think anyone in their right mind could possibly consider funding this garbage. I guess when you are going to piggy back off the success of a (only the gods know why) hit TV series, anything goes.

I honestly don't see the appeal in ripping off everyone's music to make yet another version with lame electronic beats being thrown about.

Dear wannabe DJ rejects,

Owning a MAC doesn't make you a DJ, sorry. Anyone can own a iPod, MAC and or better notebook/laptop/tablet and download MP3s and then play them at a party.

Owning a giant pair of headphones with a lot of bass doesn't make you a DJ either. Anyone, literally ANYONE on this freaking planet can buy headphones.

Ruining original music by slapping whatever garbage beats you think are fresh/phat/sick/dope doesn't make you more innovative or interesting at all. Could you be more unoriginal? A one year old crapping himself while giggling can come up with this stuff. Just put the MAC in front of him and let him start slapping away at the keys and before you know it, a rave/party/whatever will break out.

It takes 0 talent to cut and paste some MP3s together, layer your own BS you've ripped off of someone else, then start altering the pitch while holding one earphone up to your head and gyrating like a complete idiot. Go learn to play an instrument and get some musical background and before you know it you'll be tossing all that electronic crap in the garbage where it belongs.

Total Recall (2012/I)
Shampoo Commercial/Movie, 15 December 2012

I honestly have nothing against any of the actors in this movie. Farrell is a lucky guy to be working with Beckinsale and Biel who are both quite delicious, and Bryon Cranston is an absolutely amazing actor, however, it felt like it was too soon for Mr. White to be making an appearance in a movie. As of writing this review Breaking Bad hasn't finished yet so it just seems weird to have Heisenberg doing anything else right now. I kept waiting for Jesse to appear.

It's not that Beckinsale isn't lacking beauty, but it seemed like the director was all too focused on her look the entire time. She looks great, her makeup looks great, her hair looks perfect, but it started to feel like a shampoo or hair color commercial after a while. There were numerous slow motion or still shots of her that felt contrived and geared towards showing off her look instead of her acting. Not that she's ever done anything that epic. She does the action thing just fine but sometimes I think they're making her character tougher than her frame would actually support because she's such a tiny little thing.

Colin Farrell is just, you know, Colin Farrell. I can't rip on the guy too much because he stays busy, he stays in shape and he's working with some great people and beautiful women, it's just that I keep waiting for him to do something really epic that really digs into his acting skills. I mean something that really grabs you, and in turn, nabs him an Oscar. I think he's got it in him, but it definitely wasn't in this movie.

Biel is really starting to grow on me. I'm believing her characters and I just like her overall because something about her just seems REAL. There wasn't anything spectacular about her in this movie, but she didn't kill it either. Much like Collin, I'm waiting for Jessica to do something so epic that it gets her at least a Golden Globe if not an Oscar. I loved her in The Illusionist. Absolutely LOVED that movie and her character specifically. Eventually a director will come along that can see through the action and obvious beauty and really bring out what I believe to be some serious acting skills which haven't quite been fully tapped yet.

Aside from the actors and acting, the movie is a festival of eye candy. Lovers of the sci-fi visuals will not be disappointed, however, that's about all you are going to get. Although this one had a decent story which didn't try to copy the original scene for scene, the original story was far more interesting.

Not an unpleasant experience and a decent way to kill 2 hours.

classic, intelligent humor, 17 July 2012

This movie is getting ripped on left and right, thankfully I decided to give it a shot anyway and was pleasantly surprised. The humor is pretty old-school which you rarely see these days. They don't spoon-feed the audience a lot of obvious HAW and BAHAHAHA moments which is what makes this movie clever. I got the direction and what they were trying to accomplish throughout. Loved the way it was shot, especially the cut scenes where the director really had some fun. For those of you who enjoy comedy on many different levels, this one is a must. Oh, and could Genesis Rodriguez be any hotter? Stunning woman. Very much enjoyed this flick and I hope people give it a chance. Don't believe all the negative hype. Popular opinion is rarely the right opinion.