rwlid

Original Series Totally Ruined, 10 June 2013

The US version of House of Cards is a classic example of how to totally ruin what was an excellent 4 part British series from the 90s. I actually lasted to episode 9 after admittedly falling asleep a couple of times, but the tedium just got too much for me and I totally gave up.

First of all the good points (or should I say "point"), which was the acting primarily from Kevin Spacey. The biggest failure was trying to convert what was a thrilling, engrossing, tight and well paced 4 episode series into an unbelievable 13 episodes. I understand that revenue and profit is a driver for US networks, but this was absolutely ridiculous and typical of US made for TV series which just go on and on. I assume that the "second series" based on To Play the King is in the wings and I fully expect this to be as mind numbingly boring.

Great Movie Almost Spoilt by Silly Cockney Accent, 11 October 2012

I am sure we all remember the travesty of Dick Van Dyke's attempt at a cockney accent in Mary Poppins? It seems that Don Cheadle went to the same school of acting and continually confused an Australian accent with cockney. Why on earth bother, and why did they not employ a real Londoner (cockneys very hard to find now) who would at least be credible? I know this film is over 10 years old and maybe things have improved, but just needed to vent my spleen. The movie is however very watchable and apart from the aforementioned, there are good performances by all

Need another few lines, so only reason watching now this is that we just came back from Las Vegas and spent a happy evening at the Bellagio. Also interesting to know that George Clooney has a villa close to Bellagio on Lake Como in Italy.

Gave Up Half Way Through, 18 January 2012

Unlike the majority of reviewers, I found this movie extremely hard going and verging on the boring. After about an hour, and after almost dropping off, we had just had enough and had to go.

The plot has been thoroughly described in other reviews, and I am glad to say we missed the weepy parts, but if I were asked for one word to describe what we saw, it would be "ponderous". Why George Clooney is so highly thought of totally beats me as he is very one dimensional and almost exactly the same character in every film I see him in. I often wonder if he was not so photogenic, would he have had the success he has had?

Sad Misrepresentation of the East End in the 50s, 18 January 2012

I grew up in Poplar in the 50s where this series is supposedly based and I do remember the district nurses and mid-wives riding around on their bikes. However, the representation of the East End of London was so poorly done and the acting so poor, that I shall not watch another episode.

The depiction of houses almost in the docks was silly and although there were some streets where you could see ships docked, nobody actually lived that close to actually see the docks or the river from where they lived. Also, I never ever saw washing strung out across the street, most people had back-yards for this and apartment blocks in Poplar at that time were few. The people were also badly portrayed, there were of course some "dodgy" characters but most people were very friendly and at that time there was a real sense of community, sadly destroyed by the later council developers.

The other thing that didn't come through is that during the mid to late 50s the East End was quite prosperous, lots of jobs about especially in the docks where most of the male side of my family worked including my Father who was a Lighterman.

War Horse (2011)
A Truly Memorable Film Which Will Become a Classic, 11 January 2012

It seems that there is very little middle ground from other reviewers, this film seems to generally either hated or loved. I am firmly on the latter side and thoroughly enjoyed this movie which is based on a very good children's book by Michael Morpugo. Yes it is sentimental in parts,but what's wrong about that? On the other side it also brings home the horrors of trench warfare and the overall futility of WW1 which is nicely contrasted with Devon country life in the early 1900s.

It is a superbly made film - would you expect anything else from Spielberg? and I agree with all the positive comments made in other reviews. A film that is sure become a classic.

Verging on Awful, 20 October 2011

This movie was pretty awful. Woody Allen would obviously have loved to play the male lead but as he is nearing his dotage he seems to have made Owen Wilson into a clone of himself. Obviously a problem for Owen as he in turn tries very hard to be the 21st Century's answer to Jimmy Stewart. The movie as a whole was very predictable with lots of silliness including time traveling back to the 20s and late 1800s and being able to pay for dinner/drinks, I would love to see the face of a 1920s waiter when you offered to pay him in Euros! The saving grace was the shots of Paris and Versailles which I enjoyed. However I think time for Woody to hang up his directing boots