insomniac_rod

Page 1 of 123:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Exciting and multi layered Cop Thriller. Pacino at his best., 4 March 2017

I chased down this movie for a while and it did not disappoint me. I truly enjoyed it because it brought Al "The King" Pacino back into business and mainly because it is a damn good Cop-Thriller flick. More in the likes of "Tightrope" (1984), we have the basic plot of a serial-killer on the loose being chased by a Detective who might get in the middle of the killer's motives when he starts an intense romance with a femme fatale.

The events are interesting and the suspense although it is not high, it delivers, and it is aided by splendid humor contributed by the on-screen duo conformed by Pacino and John Goodman; you know, the typical cop buddies.

I really liked the plot and the whole serial killer situation, but what really got into me was the fascinating sexual magnetism between Pacino and Ellen Barkin, who might not be "very pretty" for Hollywood's standards, but she is very attractive and unlikely sexy.

The soundtrack is equally good with a highlight by Tom Waits.

Check this underrated Thriller gem and enjoy Pacino at his best.

Brilliant display of black humor, drama, and a very real discourse around common people., 25 February 2017

Best indie film I've seen in a while. It demonstrates that Netflix is producing quality films and series plus supporting talented, young film producers at the same time.

Macon Blair demonstrates that he is capable of creating a very clever script filled with intelligent black humor, plenty of thrilling sequences and suspense, as well as dramatic situations that may appeal to some people that might be living "something" similar to Ruth. And that is precisely where Blair becomes brilliant: He makes something really interesting out of ordinary people and completes it with extraordinary atmosphere that makes you feel you are dealing with someone that you know.

Now, I'm not "New" to Macon Blair's work; he starred in Saulnier's magnificent "Blue Ruin", a title that makes honor to the film, and coincidentally enough, perfectly fits to "I Don't..."., because I truly believe it is the "female" version of "Blue Ruin".

Imagine watching a mix between Tarantino and the Coen's brothers with slight references to Horror movies. That's how good this movie is, with Macon Blair's personal touch.

The cast is simply amazing. Melanie Linskey perfectly displays her abilities in comedy and drama. She made me laugh out hard and reminded me in her role as Charlie Sheen's stalker in "Two and a Half Men"; but at the same time made me feel her social suffering and discourse regarding inequity and people "acting like assholes". Her character development is astounding because she becomes more aggressive (in a positive way) and decisive when taking important decisions in daily life.

Elijah Wood played perfectly the post "Anton Yelchin" era character (although I believe Mr. Yelchin was slightly more talented, may he Rest in Peace).

Jave Levy consolidates herself as one of the best indie actresses of her generation and a Scream Queen favorite. I just love how cute she is even when she plays evil.

The Cineatography is beautiful and the soundtrack is simply amazing because it fits perfectly in the movie's actions.

To be honest with you, recently I experienced something similar to Ruthie's character when my car was stolen and I had to start my own private investigation which ended in similar fashion, plus, I also live under the rules of Murphy's Law so, I feel you Mr. Blair!.

Young filmmakers should be inspired by this fantastic piece of celluloid.

Intense and atmospheric Giallo. A classic., 22 August 2015

One of the best early Gialli that offers the elements all we love from this sub-.genre in all of its glorious fashion. The atmosphere is fantastic and the script keeps you intrigued since the sexy opening.

The death sequences are brutal and insane (all about the acupuncture technique to paralyze victims), and the dark tone of the film is perfectly displayed on screen.

The fantastic performance of the Inspector, played by a very well known actor in this sub-genre, totally carries the weight of the film on his back.

The only problem I find with the movie is the middle section of it, where it gets redundant and almost boring. However, it recovers near the climax.

Die hard fans of the sub-genre will find amusing to notice "someone" really important from another fantastic Giallo, "The House of the Laughing Windows" (1978).

An animated masterpiece that manages to encourage the younger to be better people., 22 August 2015

I watched this movie with my grandma three years ago. I chose it because of the positive reviews I came upon before deciding to record it on HBO HD.

I couldn't have chosen a better movie to watch with my favorite person in the world. "How to train your Dragon" is perhaps the most emotional movie for kids in recent times; and the best thing about it, is that it can be enjoyed by adults.

The animation is amazing, breathtaking, cannot say anything better about it. The soundtrack is also flawless as well as the direction.

However, the script is the best feature about it because it constantly evolves and displays a very powerful and positive message for the younger.

Just what you expect., 22 August 2015

Well I got more than expected from this one. I caught it on t.v. at around 3:00 a.m. and I had a good time because the pace is smooth, there are plenty of sexy moments, interesting facts about real life sugar daddies, and how some young women would do anything to live like the rich.

The script is pretty straight forward but the twist regarding a murder raised the intensity of the pace so the audience can be really interested.

Taylor Gildersleeve is a very good actress and her performance is the highlight of the movie. She's sexy, looks vulnerable, and at some point, she's brave. Thank you Ms. Gildersleeve for wearing those short and skimpy outfits :)

Lost Boy (2015/II)
Does not deliver expectations..., 22 August 2015

Well, the premise is very interesting and makes you think about many possibilities regarding the "lost boy" character.

To be honest with you, I only watched it for morbid curiosity; I mean, I expected the "lost boy" to terrorize the family in unlike ways, not in the likes of "Saw", but, situations like in "The Hand that Rocks the Craddle" (1992). However, the situations are very lame and soon you lose empathy towards the main character.

The script is very weak and never fully explains the origin of the lost boy or who really "took him" when he was an infant.

Virginia Madsen is fantastic as always and her portrayal of a mother that cannot cope with the lose of a son but keeps the hope for many years is perfect.

Watch it only if it airs at 2:00 a.m.

Not bad at all, but lacks a point..., 22 August 2015

I am aware it is Dustin's version; however, it misses the point on describing the real problems and frictions between the cast. They barely display the character's personalities, hobbies, and their life outside the set, which would be helpful to understand some issues.

Instead, the script focuses on describing things we already knew. I know, it is Dustin's story, but a little more objectivity wouldn't hurt.

The acting is surprisingly good, specially the young man that plays Dustin. The rest of the cast does perfectly their job although it seems they haven't seen the original Saved by the Bell series.

I would definitely recommend this one for fans of the series, like myself. I grew watching this series and became part of my life, so, getting extra information after 22 years was a good nostalgic touch, although I expected to see more of the "private" details.

Refreshing., 22 August 2015

To be honest with you, fellow IMDb reviewers; I had low expectations towards "Casi Treinta" because of its cast, its marketing campaign, and because it forms part of a brand new style in Mexican cinema that focuses more on being entertaining rather than presenting a quality story and important production values.

Well, I got what expected but was a bit surprised to find that there was some depth meaning in the story.

While some scenes can be taken out from any Mexican soap opera or even any party with your friends; it manages to show its point regarding having almost thirty years old and not living the life you want, but living the life of someone else.

Some of the scenes may seem superficial and not that well acted, but, it is part of the atmosphere and situation in Sonora, in the North of México.

The cast was very good as well as the music. The Direction is just standard, pretty much "point-and-click"; and the cinematography is gorgeous.

Give it a try for two reasons: 1) You are in your early 30's like me and you may feel related with some of the characters.

2) You want to have mindless fun with this new wave of Mexican cinema.

Possibly the most realistic "romantic" film., 7 February 2015

The realistic relationship between the starring couple is what makes this movie an excellent display of mature relationships of young couples.

It treats topics as work life, resentment, frustration, and the always polemic "what would if...?" relevant moments in someone's life.

The chemistry between Michelle Williams and Ryan Gosling is magnetic. Both actors demonstrate why they are amongst the best actors of their generation.

You may relate to this movie so beware because the experience is not positive at all. However, it should be a wake up call for troubled couples.

The most American-Giallo. Stylish, sexual, violent, and inventive., 7 February 2015

Fantastic entry in the Giallo sub-genre from Director De Palma who knows perfectly his references, mainly Dario Argento, although he has denied to being influenced by the Italian maestro.

This film is very sexual, violent, and creative in terms of plot. It also features plenty of humor courtesy of the young son of one of the killer's victims because of his investigation techniques (ahead of their time).

The acting is stellar, the plot very intriguing, and the gore is fantastic although is only present in one scene. Dario Argent should be proud of the elevator scene.

A great addition to the Giallo sub-genre.

Page 1 of 123:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]