g-leno

The Wolf Among Us (2013) (VG)
Decent all round game, NOT for kids., 17 April 2014

Based on the comic books 'Fables', this game is a story based RPG where your choices have an effect on the rest of the story. Made by the same people that gave us the brilliant Walking Dead and Back to the Future games, this game is the same style as those, but has a little more action in it. The animation is spot on for the feel of the game, giving a touch of brightness to what is, at is heart, a very dark and gritty tale that is meant for the mature gamer.

The characters are well done and are a fresh take on classic fairy tale characters, almost like the television series 'Once upon a time'. I loved this games take on Georgie Porgie, and there are numerous little hints and nods to many of the well known characters that may not appear in the game.

All in all, the adult content makes this game a refreshing experience, and the episodic release means that there is no rush to play the game and you can play through it bit by bit making it last longer. I hope games like this continue to be made and that the level of quality is on par with this game.

Winter soldier, best movie this spring!, 5 April 2014

I was so very happy with this movie, I walked out of the cinema feeling that it was probably the best way I could have spent my evening.

Chris Evans has hit his stride in the role of Captain America. Every time he plays Steve Rogers, he gets better at it. The first avenger was a shaky start, with many characters being introduced and never being given any more to do or say in the film. In the Avengers, he comes forward as the tactical mind of the team, but is overshadowed by the ego of the powerhouse characters. This film however gives him the full attention while still managing to develop Black Widow, Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D., and do a more than decent job of introducing Mackie's Falcon.

I really enjoyed the way that the plot moves and shifts, making this so much different from many other comic book movies. The focus is on plot, characters and back-stories as much as the action, although there is still plenty of action too. Well choreographed fights, excellent visual effects and innovative ideas for gadgets and missions in the film make for a thrilling ride of a movie I hope that this level of quality continues to come from Marvel Studios, and as long as it does they will have the monopoly on the summer blockbusters for the foreseeable future. Bring on Guardians of the Galaxy!

Dreadful, Geoge Lucas should refund everyone for this., 24 November 2013

I will never watch this film again, I have only seen it twice, once at the cinema way back then, and once recently to check that it really was THAT bad. The only reason I did not give this a score of 1/10 is that i believe no film deserves that as it takes time and effort to make any film.

Ray Park was the best thing about this film, and when the best part only says 3 lines, its got to be bad. the special effects were brilliant for their time, but now are nothing special so don't add anything to the (bad) experience of watching it.

Anyone who gave this film more than a 4/10 is a fan-boy (or girl) of epic proportions. I would rather spend a day watching Twilight playing on loop for a day than watch this again. For the manual on how to ruin one of the greatest sagas on film, contact George Lucas. Disney cannot possibly any worse than this!

Star Wars (1977)
game changer, but the saga peaked at the start, 21 November 2013

There is no denying that this film was the start of something big, and you cannot take away from it the fact that it changed the face of the sci-fi genre, maybe even the whole film industry, in to what it is today. For its time, the effects, story, characters and detail in this film are are beyond exemplary. Most action and sci-fi films aim to be compared to star wars, a feat that is rare and, in my opinion, has only been achieved by Terminator 1 and 2, the lord of the rings trilogy and marvels: the avengers.

A new hope works brilliantly as a first chapter to a saga, however, I feel that it works better as a stand alone film. Unlike many films that are a 'first part', it has a beginning, middle and end, tells everything that needs to be told and leaves the characters in a satisfying place. I feel that having seen the prequels does not diminish anything about this film like it does to episodes five and six.

The only problem that I have is that the original theatrical release doesn't really exist anymore, you can only really get the version that has been tinkered with by Lucas to put needless CGI extras in. This is the original and best of the star wars saga, however i do feel that many people see this through rose tinted glasses and will not see any faults in any of the three original films, even though they are happy to say that the three prequels do not exist as far as they are concerned. Awesome film, great legacy, and now that Disney has the rights away from Lucas, a great future too.

Saints Row IV (2013) (VG)
Huge amounts of crazy, lots of fun too., 31 August 2013

The first Saints Row game that i played was the third one, and This one takes a lot of material from its Predecessor. The city is the same so if you learned where things were, you will have no problems with navigation. The best thing about these games is the comedy found in everything, from the names of places to the content of conversations between characters. Some game take themselves far too seriously but this is a refreshing break from that.

Some refer to these games as Grand Theft Auto's little sibling, but I think that it is different enough to stand alone as an adult game, without the comparisons by simply having the craziest storyline and missions in games. Another big bonus is the character design aspect that allows you to create you own character in the same way as Skyrim and other games. This makes it personal to you, rather than being given a set character that you have no attachment to at the start.

The only criticism I have of this game would probably be that there may be a little too much repetition on the collectible side of things. most games that I have played have 50-200 items to find. I was a bit daunted by the Amazing spider-man game having 700! but over 1200 here may get boring for the people like me, who play to 100% complete, by the end of the game.

All in all, a very entertaining game that deserves to be played! If you enjoy this game as much as I have then it will be money well spent!

Kick-Ass 2 (2013)
Complete and utter excellence, 26 August 2013

I had heard a lot of bad things about this before i went in to see it, but I loved the first film, so I was never not going to see this. All the bad comments that i have heard have come from people who either haven't seen the original or are over 50 years old with little to connect them with the characters or the whole super hero genre.

I thought that this was a fantastically fun and imaginative story, with humor coming from both genre related in-jokes and gross out visual violence. Perfect casting in Jim Carrey and John Leguizamo. Chloe Grace Moretz Continues to shine as Hit Girl and steals the show in most scenes that she is in. Olga Kurkulina is genuinely and terrifyingly believable as Mother Russia.

This was the most fun I've had at the movies for a couple of years, and anyone who enjoyed the first film should love this. I really hope that Kick-ass 3 gets made as there are a lot of tantalizing bits that leave you wondering what may happen in a future sequel. My only criticism would be that I think it should have been rated 18 rather than 15 due to the very graphic violence and disturbing scenes.

All in all: A must see!

Not the greatest film ever, but an entertaining action flick, 29 July 2013

I am one of the people that like X-men origins: Wolverine, and i was looking forward to this film a lot! I would like to say it lived up to my expectations,but i'm not sure that it did. There are a few massive plot holes but i don't worry about that too much when watching a movie based on a comic book.

There are less memorable bits in this than origins, but the action sequences are big and bold and very well done. The touch of violence and humor goes well with the setting in Japan being serious and organised. The villains are a bit one dimensional but really, who cares? Its a Wolverine film and i would go and see a sequel without hesitation.

If you are not a fan of comic book movies or action films in general, then don't bother with this, but for an evenings enjoyment, its well worth it. Bring on 'days of future past', cant wait!

Nowhere near as bad as a lover feared, 21 June 2013

I was dreading this! A 'realistic' Superman? How is that possible? that'll be nothing like the comics I love!? Well, i came out of the cinema feeling pretty good about it! Firstly the criticisms. I wasn't impressed that superman kills, thats against everything he is supposed to be. Secondly The absence of the classic score that still rouses my spirits whenever i hear it, was sorely missed. Lastly my minor quibble that i don't think it would have been worse to have an older style brighter costume.

On to the good points! The opening of the movie on Krypton is Jaw dropping! Any sci-fi movie would have been proud of that 10 minutes of footage! Russel Crowe was great and it gave a good setting for the rest of the story. The fight sequences are very well made and utilize great special effects to make the super powers look very real.

To avid comic readers, there will be a lot of flaws to spot, but to Joe public, i think this will be a hugely enjoyable blockbuster. I just hope they lighten the mood (and costume) if they make a justice league film off the back of this. A solid 8/10 from me, just not as fun as Avengers Assemble.

Enjoyable game for novices and experts alike, 19 May 2013

As a massive fan of the Tekken fighting games, i am always wary of getting other fighting games, but as a super hero fan, i simply had to give this game a shot. What I ended up with was an enjoyable game with simple enough controls to get to grips with, but there is scope to learn to use the moves of each character to incredible effect.

The game has a story mode that is far superior to most fighting games, and the level of detail that has been put in to the S.T.A.R. labs missions makes the 1 player content last much longer while not seeming like too much of a grind. I was also glad that the studio didn't make superman and batman the instant pick that they may have been being the famous pair, the other characters are all very competitive for 2 player use.

If your favorite character is not one of the 24 playable ones, you can almost guarantee that they will have a cameo in the game somewhere, and with down-loadable content on the way, the games longevity will be increased.

I would recommend this game to any fan of fighting games and/or DC comics characters, and i hope that this becomes a franchise of games, not just a one off. Note to Disney: make a game like this for Marvel characters, there is lots of money to be made!

Iron Man 3 (2013)
I think its the best Iron man movie yet!, 26 April 2013

First of all, let me say that all of the people out there who write reviews saying "just another stupid comic adaptation", Stop watching these movies if you don't like the whole genre! About the movie. Great comedy moments lighten the mood from time to time as the body count is pretty high for a 12 rated movie. People who like the dark knight trilogy because its 'dark' even though no one dies will find this great. This film has it all, great special effects, action sequences, comedy and concepts.

Its Main bonus that it has over the other two installments is that is not just another bad guy in a rip off suit. Those looking for another Avengers will be expecting too much, and may well be disappointed, but they need to save the team ups for Avengers 2!

My only fault in this movie was the lack of scenes with Rhodey in his suit, War Machinedeserves more screen time! In summary, not a 10/10 like Avengers, but a very worthy addition to the Marvel cinematic universe.