yonhope

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A look at the core of Los Angeles downtown Skid Row. A love story., 17 June 2016

I lived in a downtown Los Angeles hotel, the El Dorado at 416 S. Spring Street, in 1959 and 1960. It was a beautiful old building, not unlike the Million Dollar or Rosslyn Hotels. There were characters, not as bold as in this movie, but characters, nonetheless paying the $45 monthly room rate.

Some people were young and others were past their prime. This movie has a feel of what it is like to be part of such a community. Some people would go to other people's rooms and enjoy what might happen and other people were loners.

This movie starts at the end but still surprises the viewer at the movie's final scenes. This movie is not perfect but it probably is the favorite at The Million Dollar Hotel.

Bud Cort is a surprise and Jimmy Smits and this is also an unusual movie for Mel Gibson. Great cast with Jeremy Davies doing what could be an award winning performance as Tom Tom.

If you like Los Angeles architecture and the darkness of Skid Row, this is a great movie. If you want a Star Wars fantasy this doesn't work. I will watch it again sometime.

Way too long. Wars don't last this long., 27 May 2016

Many truly epic scenes that could easily have been made into a very excellent movie. It needed a better ending. The ending could have been very quick and satisfying. Lose all the background music and start over with one guitar, maybe. There are periods of comedy in the movie and some great scenes with probably thousands of extras, but every time it starts to get good the director inserts some slow motion flashback that is of no value to the audience. Coburn and Steiger are good but they do not need the accents. The close ups of eyes is overdone as one would expect in a spaghetti western. If one half hour was cut from this film and good background music was written this would be an Academy Award contender.

Handsome young Frankie shows he is in great shape, 18 May 2016

Frankie Darro seems to be doing all of his own stunts here. He actually is in prime shape and he looks good. He has fun while he engages in fist fights with the diamond thieves. The car chase is fun. Everyone is pretty well cast as a good guy or bad guy or good girl or nosy girl. Frankie made quite a few movies and some were very good. I always thought he was a good actor and very good with the action scenes. He did not do lots of love scenes but there was usually a girl chasing him in the films. This movie is a good look at Americans in the Depression era. Always well dressed, even if they were hoods planning a caper. Rooming and boarding houses were common in the 1930s and 1940s in the US. We see a typical house that has a room and board sign in this movie. This is a great escape from texting and talking to a GPS device. Men's and ladies' hats and wardrobe and hair are all interesting. Frankie definitely had great hair.

Best movie ever made, 11 April 2016

Definitely worth watching. Some good effects of earthquake damage. The actors have been released from jail after promising never to do a movie together again.

Overacting causes the ground to shake and it is picked up by some sensors. Women can't run. Los Angeles is shaking from a quake on the San Andreas, so the people are told to flee to the east. All lanes of the 10 freeway now go east. The writer probably did not know the San Andreas fault is east of Los Angeles. Still a fun movie.

Everybody has a gun. New skyscrapers fall before the 100 year old hotel. It's OK to steal a car. Los Angeles drivers all leave their cars parked on roadsides with the windows rolled down and no Club on the steering wheel. There are some wires under the dash that hang down so you just rub them together to start the car.

Whatever you do during an earthquake do not check on the baby hippo.Argue with the National Guard. Grab their gun.

This is very good for Bad Movie Night. A 12.7 magnitude quake would wipe out all life on Earth except for a couple of hippos and a giraffe and some car thieves.

Good ad for selling a truck, 2 April 2016

Michael Douglas is OK as an actor but this movie should be called Beyond Stupid. Several times the movie becomes unbelievable. Good scenery throughout. The ending, as noted by others here, is awful. This is one of those endings where somebody said to the writer "We gotta finish this tomorrow. Give me a couple of pages with very little dialog."

The movie actually had a good basic plot with some OK characters.

Andy Griffith made a movie with a similar plot long ago and it was better.

For a good desert movie I would recommend Lawrence of Arabia. For a movie with a good ending I recommend Some Like it Hot or Casablanca. For a more believable movie experience I recommend Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein.

Young director does it right, 24 February 2016

Very good TV episode with the look of a feature film. I worked in it as a funeral director on a chilly morning at Universal Studios.

The scene was done at the Bates Motel mansion site on a hill in the middle of the big Universal lot.The director was a young 25 year old Timothy Hutton who was much better known as an actor. He looked a lot like a young Tony Perkins. It was somewhat eerie being on the Psycho set with a Norman Bates moving around behind the camera.

This series just did not find an audience for some reason, but it will stand the test of time.

I didn't see anyone at the windows of the mansion, but I knew someone was watching. Highly recommended.

Citizen X (1995) (TV)
Government officials thwart their own investigation, 2 November 2015

Very well presented in a believable way is this story of a serial killer in Russia. It probably could be happening anywhere one might find high ranking officials who refuse to allow a low level investigator the freedom and resources he needs to quickly find the murderer.

Donald Sutherland is brilliant as a Russian Colonel who sidesteps and outwits some of his superiors in order to give his team a chance to succeed. The direction is straight forward. No special effects. Some make up and a bit of gore but just enough to make it real.

I wonder how many times in history these kinds of political characters have let murders take place rather than admit to their own incompetence. Also the blaming of a particular sexual orientation for something unrelated.

Highly recommended. I watched it at Amazon Prime but it might be at NetFlix or elsewhere. There might be a DVD.

I would call it a mystery, 30 September 2015

I just finished watching it. I wonder what it is about. Roger Moore and Stacy Keach are good at what they are doing. They seem to hit their marks and say their lines, probably. I don't think there is a female lead or co star or featured player in this. There are two car chase scenes. About ten cars and at least one semi truck are damaged.The characters speak Italian at times. Almost forgot, there is a fish in the movie. I think this movie needs a cat.This is the only movie I have ever watched that mentions powdered milk. I do like powdered milk. Some people get shot and at least one kid grows up to be Roger Moore, I think.

Mop King (2013)
Mop humor sponges up the laughs, 26 September 2015

A score of 8 means I would watch it again with my friends. Sexy young guy with a mop meets sexy older girl with a past. They fall in love and live more or less happily ever after. Good sidekick comedy, especially the fight scene. Lots of misfits including the runaway parents.

The humor is slightly below low brow. Tasteless but not too disgusting. It would be a movie to have on a double bill with The Janitor. One of the finer films with a prostitute on crutches.

I think the actors and director and production company should do well with this. It should get good reviews. I watched it at Amazon Prime. It is probably at other streaming sites.

Very good comedy with great moments, 27 February 2015

Real solid dependable actors who establish goofy characters on both sides of the law. Lou Diamond Phillips is wonderful and he looks great in this action/crime, believable, incompetent crooks trying to outwit the witless good guys. Mud and worse gets splashed on clothes as getaways fail and old plans need to be improvised and reworked to more imperfection. I am glad so many people like the craziness in this movie. This has a quality that passes my test of what makes a good film. Do I want to watch it again and recommend it to others? The answer is "Yes." This would go good for movie night for anyone teen age and older.

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]