GoodBen

Little Shop of Horrors review, 16 December 2011

I didn't really care for this movie that much. I think the singing ruined it for me. I do like the idea of the movie, just not as a musical. I think if this movie wasn't a musical, I might have enjoyed it better. What I did like about the movie was its plot, which I thought was original, funny and dark at times. It's a scifi / musical/ dark comedy about a large, carnivorous plant with a mind of its own that begins to take over the life of Seymour, a nerdy flower shop employee. In addition to the plot, I also liked the acting of Rick Moranis. I think he was good as Seymour. I got the sense that if Seymour had just been braver in life, he wouldn't have needed a plant telling him what to do. I also enjoyed the performance of Vincent Gardenia as the flower shop owner. However, I didn't care for Steven Martian in the role of the sadistic dentist. I didn't find him very threatening or convincing. Also I though Ellen Green as Audrey, the object of Seymour's affections, was annoying.

Taxi Driver Review, 16 December 2011

This seems like a crime-fighting vigilante movie to me. In it, we see how a mentally unstable veteran, played by Robert DeNiro, gradually deteriorates to an out of control vigilante who is fed up with the problems of society and decides to take matters into his own hands. The plot is filled with tension and action. This, along with its setting, the rough streets of New York with prostitutes and criminals, makes for an interesting story. I enjoyed DeNiro's performance as the increasingly out of control Travis, as well as Jodie Foster's performance as Iris, the child prostitute he decides to save. I liked the scene towards the ending where DeNiro made his way through the apartment building battling all of the thugs trying to save Iris. I also was surprised to find out that he lived, even though he was shot up and was still going.

The Graduate review, 16 December 2011

Overall, I liked this movie. It had some funny dialogue and a great soundtrack from Simon & Garfunkel .There were also some funny scenes, like when Ben's father makes him wear the scuba suit to show off to friends. However, I also thought this movie was very frustrating just because every time the character Ben tried to explain what really happened between him and Mrs. Robinson, no one believed him. Another frustration was the fact that Mrs. Robinson was being very mysterious as to why she wanted Ben all for herself. The movie always kept you guessing because you didn't know what would happen next or if Elaine and Benjamin would end up together. The ending also made me wonder what happens to them later.

Psycho (1960)
Psycho review, 16 December 2011

This movie was the first Alfred Hitchcock movie I had ever seen. It was very suspenseful and realistic. This movie has a very different style compared to today's horror films which is more about blood and gore rather than suspense and mystery. I thought Anthony Perkins did a wonderful job as Norman Bates. I liked how he could go from playing innocent character to a psychotic madman. I also like Janet Leigh's performance. I think it's too bad that they never released a colored version of this film.

I think more horror movies today should try being more suspenseful and adding mystery rather than blood and gore, but with today's horror fans, I doubt that will ever happen. It seems that we've lost touch with suspenseful horror movies and just get into the blood and violence. Every now and then, we do see a horror movie with suspense and mystery, but it always seems to get outnumbered by the slasher movies.

Do the Right Thing review, 16 December 2011

This is the first Spike Lee movie that I've seen. I thought it was pretty good, and I liked how it showed how people deal with race and culture, especially back in the 80s. At times, however, it seemed a bit too friendly and almost seemed to have a Disney-like quality to it. Especially when Mookie was walking down the street and everyone starts saying "hi" to him as he went by. Overall, however, it had a strong plot and good acting. I really enjoyed the performances by Spike Lee as Mookie and Danny Aiello as Sal. The ending was a stressful moment during all the chaos. The ending made the viewer start to think of a better way to deal with everyone's differences.

But it's death for Bonnie and Clyde, 16 December 2011

After watching Bonnie and Clyde, I start to remember all other references I've see to this movie and its theme of romantic criminals. I had heard of this movie before, but never watched it. I didn't realize that it wasn't just Bonnie and Clyde, that there were more people involved. At times it was really funny, especially with the music, and other times I really felt sorry for the characters, especially after hearing Bonnie's poem that she sent the newspapers. I thought that was a good use of irony. Since this was the age of new Hollywood, it was interesting to see the use of blood gags they used back then and what they could get away with.

The Killing, 16 December 2011

This movie was more straightforward in terms of the plot. The tone of the movie was fast paced and gave you the feeling that time was ticking away. It was your simple gangster film, some suspense but nothing really special, no plot twists. I did like, however, how they had multiple views of different perspectives of the characters and how they all came together in the end. There were some suspenseful moments like when Timothy Carey has to shoot the horse and then get away in time .Besides that it was just a simple story about how these criminals put together a robbery at the racetrack. I also thought the narration gave the movie an old 50's classic gangster style.

Mildred Pierce review, 16 December 2011

I thought this movie was a good mystery film. It had a strong plot that included a "who done it" mystery that kept you guessing as to who the actual killer was. Its first shot starts off with someone getting killed, and from then on the viewer is wondering who did it, and why. The story was filled with drama and suspense and seemed to be a good example of film noir with its dark scenes, subject matter, and tone. I also think it did a good job of showing how dysfunctional Mildred Pierce's family was and what a brat Veda was. This conflict added to the overall tension in the film. In addition to a strong plot, the film had excellent acting, especially Joan Crawford as Mildred Pierce and Ann Blythe as Veda, her daughter. Joan Crawford is believable as the hardworking and decent Mildred who dotes on Veda and struggles to make it as an independent woman. Ann Blythe does an equally credible job as Veda, who is nasty, conniving, and money hungry.

The Exorcist review, 16 December 2011

This movie didn't scare me as much as it did amaze me by the all the special effects. Some of the effects made me wonder how they did that or how they pulled that off. It was interesting to see how they put all these effects together. I also really like the makeup job they did with Reagan. I saw some of the test footage and I thought that was a little more frightening than what they came up with in the end. I liked how in the beginning they give you a sense that an evil presence had entered the house, but they don't actually show anything until Reagan gets possessed. That approach seemed to generated a great deal of tension and heighten the suspense. On a less positive note, I thought there is too much dialogue, especially in the extended edition.

Just singin in the rain, 16 December 2011

As far as musicals go, this movie was not that bad. After seeing this movie, I started to understand all the references that I've seen in the past about this movie that I didn't picked up on the first time around. The movie was very exciting and has lots of energy. This movie also gave you a better understanding of how silent films were starting to become outdated compared to the new talk films and problems it caused for actors and film directors. The plot of the film centered around that theme. I also like the sense of realism that they included with Gene Kelly performance when he was walking and singing in the rain and then the cop showed up. The one part I didn't like in the movie was the long dance scene where they show Gene Kelly going to the big city. Although I'm not a big fan of musicals I like this movie.