171 ReviewsOrdered By: Date
Get Out (I) (2017)
What to Expect: Get Out
28 May 2017
What you can expect is a very well acted suspense/thriller that will keep your attention and keep you guessing. It has some really good performances and is an interesting watch, which I would recommend to moviegoers.

Acting/Casting: 7* - In my opinion this is the strongest piece of the film. The casting is on point and the acting is strong across the board. Daniel Kaluuya leads the way and is superb in his role in this film, which is great because as it is really make or break based on his performance. There is some much to be said for the performances as a whole here and I will just say it was a joy to watch them work.

Directing/Cinematography/Technical: 6* - The film has a great pace and it really keeps the viewer engaged. There is a great mix of suspense and comedy that makes for a great product on the screen.

Plot/Characters: 6* - While some might want to say that the plot is fresh and new, I would disagree. It has been done before in a different manner and Get Out is just a different perspective on films done before it. Even so, it is an interesting premise and one could argue there are many smaller underlying themes that one could draw from the plot on the surface.

Entertainment Value: 6.5* - As mentioned, the plot and directing is rock solid and the acting is really strong. This combination makes the movie an interesting and intriguing product and well worth a watch.

My Score: 7.5+6+6+6.5 = 26/4 = 6.5 Email your thoughts to filmwatchinfool@gmail.com
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Inferno (I) (2016)
What to Expect: Inferno
28 May 2017
What you can expect is an above average mystery/thriller with a nice cast, but a very predictable film through all the suspense. It doesn't live up to the standards of The Da Vinci Code, but it still worth a watch if you enjoyed the other installments.

Acting/Casting: 6.5* - Tom Hanks is always solid and plays the role of Robert Langdon well once again. I thought Felicity Jones as Sienna Brooks did a nice job in the supporting actress role. It bolsters a solid supporting cast with the likes of Ben Foster, Omar Sy, Irrfan Khan who all did a nice job with their parts.

Directing/Cinematography/Technical: 6* - For the most part all aspects in this area are what you would expect from the likes of Ron Howard, Brian Grazer, Hans Zimmer, etc. I will say that I was distracted quite a bit by the confusion/flashbacks early in the film, which have been the intention but it was difficult to actual view in general. That would be my glaring complaint in this area.

Plot/Characters: 6* - Robert Langdon (Tom Hanks) wakes up in a Hospital with a traumatic head injury which includes memory loss and must team up with his doctor (Felicity Jones) to save the world from the unleashing of a deadly plague. I admit I found the plot to be intriguing and it plays out well, but very predictable.

Entertainment Value: 6* - It plays out very predictably, but still makes for an entertaining watch. There is a nice blend of action and suspense that will keep your attention throughout and results in a solid film well worth a watch.

My Score: 6.5+6+6+6 = 24.5/4 = 6.1 Email your thoughts to filmwatchinfool@gmail.com
What to Expect: Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
28 May 2017
What you can expect is a watered down version of the original Jack Reacher that is really nothing more than a slightly above average action/thriller at the end of the day. Worth a watch if this up your alley, but I wouldn't go out of my to rent or watch. To me it is quite a falloff from the original.

Acting/Casting: 6* - Tom Cruise is solid as Jack Reacher, Cobie Smolders does a surprisingly serviceable job as the female lead and sidekick in the film. I thought Patrick Heusinger was okay as the Hunter, but would have liked to have seen someone else cast in that role.

Directing/Cinematography/Technical: 5.5* - All of the technical aspects of the film are done well, the scenery is good throughout, and I thought the action scenes were good. As you watch, I think you will notice many flaws in the movie that are hard to ignore in regards to realism. If that stuff bothers you, then you might proceed with caution as I believe it is filled with many.

Plot/Characters: 5* - The film is very mediocre in this respect. To sum it up, Jack Reacher is on the run in this sequel and has a fellow fugitive (Smolders) with him trying to uncover the truth and prove their innocence. He also has to protect a young woman who might be his daughter along the way.

Entertainment Value: 6* - I really enjoyed the original Jack Reacher and while knew this wouldn't be as good as the first, I think I expected more. It will keep you entertained, but it is not original in any form and really a very above average action/thriller.

My Score: 6+5.5+5+6 = 22.5/4 = 5.6 Email your thoughts to filmwatchinfool@gmail.com
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What to Expect: Kong: Skull Island
27 May 2017
What you can expect is a movie not so much about King Kong, but about a group of soldiers and civilians trying to survive supernatural surroundings and creatures. It is a fresh take on the King Kong genre, but I can't say it is my favorite of the group.

Acting/Casting: 6.5* - The cast has some big names and I feel like Samuel L. Jackson steals the show here. He plays his role of decorated and seasoned war hero to a tee and is supported well by others such as Goodman, Larson, Hiddleston. I enjoyed John C. Reilly's character and performance as well. The other non-household names also do a solid job.

Directing/Cinematography/Technical: 6.5* - The movie has a real nice pace to it and the special effects are on par. I enjoyed the soundtrack and felt it gave good context to the film. I can say I was impressed with just how overwhelming King Kong is portrayed in the film.

Plot/Characters: 6* - I was a tad disappointed here as I thought the movie was lacking in revolving around King Kong. No doubt it is centered around him to some extent, but not as much as previous Kong films. The main theme of this film is really the survival of the people that end up stranded on Skull Island and not so much King Kong.

Entertainment Value: 6* - It manages to entertain from start to finish and keeps the viewer engaged. There is a well put together cast and a real nice pace to the film that provides a good dose of entertainment.

My Score: 6.5+6.5+6+6 = 25/4 = 6.25 Email your thoughts to filmwatchinfool@gmail.com
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Blackway (2015)
What to Expect: Blackway
25 May 2017
What you can expect is a very run of the mill drama/thriller. It is predictable, methodical, and straight forward. Solid cast/acting with a mediocre plot and product.

Acting/Casting: 6* - The cast is solid (Hopkins, Stiles, Liotta) and all plays their roles well. Nothing exceptional and nothing terrible. It joins the many movies out there with big names and a average product.

Directing/Cinematography/Technical: 5.5* - I thought that the scenery was solid with the majority of the movie shot in a dark and dreary manner with music to match. To be honest, it was par for the course and really matches the entire package of the film.

Plot/Characters: 5* - Untouchable, corrupt bad guy vs. a few fed up and wronged townspeople. The biggest suspense is tracking down Blackway, which I think speaks for itself.

Entertainment Value: 5.5* - It is only marginally entertaining due to the fact that it is very predictable and void of surprises. You know what is coming, but is still makes for a solid watch.

My Score: 6+5.5+5+5.5 = 22/4 = 5.5 Email your thoughts to filmwatchinfool@gmail.com
The Gallows (2015)
What to Expect: The Gallows
22 July 2015
Why You Might Like It: The low score and expectations hopefully have you going into this movie with little hopes for a great product. The reality is this movie is your run of the mill found footage horror that isn't anything new, but also isn't going to disappoint. There are plenty of creepy and jump out of your set moments that will satisfy viewers. If nothing else, I found the movie to have an okay pace and it managed to be engaging.

Why You Might Not Like It: The first 30 minutes is difficult to watch. It is full of poor dialogue and humor that even the teenage crowd would shake their heads at and find little room for laughs. There are many spots in the film that the acting is noticeable and bad. Again, the "first person, found footage" horror movie is a bit played out at this point and in this movie in particular there is a lot of aggravating camera work. To me, the realistic effects made it hard to watch at times due to blurring and being out of focus. I get the idea, but it shouldn't make the movie difficult to watch. It is full of unrealistic circumstances and obvious solutions to the dilemma at hand, but that is a given with a film like this.

Acting/Casting: 4.5*

Directing/Cinematography/Technical: 5.5*

Plot/Characters: 5*

Total - 4.5+5.5+5+6 = 21/4 = 5.25*
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What to Expect: Inside Llewyn Davis
22 July 2015
Why You Might Like It: From the opening scene, this movie had my attention. The cinematography and the music in the opening and throughout the movie are really on spot and set the stage. If you are a fan of folk music, then odds are you will really enjoy this movie because it has some great music in the film. If you have ever been a musician and pursued that for a living, then you will also very likely appreciate this story and the movie. The story is solid and the acting is great all around. Oscar Isaac does an outstanding job in the lead role and no doubt you will sympathize with his situation and struggle.

Why You Might Not Like It: The primarily is about a musician and his struggles to "make it", so if you aren't really big on music and might not get the struggle one has to go through to make it big, you might not appreciate this movie. There are many things in the movie that you really have to think about and contemplate, so make sure you know that going in. This movie isn't what you see is what you get material, as it is much deeper than that. Overall, the movie isn't vastly entertaining and can be slow in spots as well.

Acting/Casting: 8*

Directing/Cinematography/Technical: 8*

Plot/Characters: 6*

Entertainment Value: 5*

Total - 8+8+6+5 = 27/4 = 6.75*
It Follows (2014)
What to Expect: It Follows
19 July 2015
Why You Might Like It: Let me first say that this is primarily a psychological thriller/horror, so go into the movie expecting just that. The movie definitely offers a new take on horror and the plot is intriguing. Technically the film is really sound and has a nice throwback feel to it with tube televisions and dated vehicles and clothing. Overall, this is a well put together movie that has an interesting theme, nice pace, solid acting, and leaves you with something to think about.

Why You Might Not Like It: It Follows lacks an abundance of scary scenes that will make you jump or creep you out, so if you are looking for that type of horror you might be disappointed. Also, it there are some loopholes and spots in the film that make you "raise your eyebrow" at what exactly is going on. That might have been on purpose, but it is a tad confusing. The cast is also relatively made up of unknowns, but they do solid job. To me it wasn't overwhelmingly entertaining, but managed to keep me engaged.

Acting/Casting: 6.5*

1 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Bad Country (2014)
What to Expect: Bad Country
9 July 2014
Why You Might Like It: The film has plenty of big names (Matt Dillon, Willem Dafoe, Tom Berenger, Amy Smart) that all do a solid job in their roles. No one stands out as being amazing, but they all play their parts well. I thought the most impressive thing about the movie was that the stage is set very nicely by some great cinematography and scenery that seems to put you in the film. There is plenty of action, drama, and suspense to keep you entertained and it makes for a good crime/thriller film.

Why You Might Not Like It: As mentioned, while the cast is well put together, I didn't feel any of them were outstanding in the film. I think the biggest downfall will be that viewers might expect this movie to better than the product that they view, but it is honestly just a slightly above average film in the crime/thriller genre. There is nothing about the film that is terrible, but not really anything that makes it stand out either.

Acting/Casting: 6*

Directing/Cinematography/Technical: 6.5*

Plot/Characters: 6*

Total - 6+6.5+6+6 = 24.5/4 = 6.125*
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Hole (2009)
What to Expect" The Hole
9 July 2014
Why You Might Like It: This is a pretty solid thriller/horror film that will spark your interest early and keep you watching. The suspense of what is in the "Hole" will keep you entertained and there is a serviceable amount of creepy/scary moments. I thought the overall story was well done and played out well on the screen. This film has a nice pace to it and is likely to keep most viewers entertained.

Why You Might Not Like It: I think the biggest problem with the film is the fact that it doesn't seem to have a targeted audience. It seems a bit too serious/creepy for kids, but not serious/creepy enough for adults. There were also scenes toward the end that I thought were a bit too much, which made them seem more goofy than scary. The acting in spots is noticeable and bad, but it doesn't ruin the movie.

Acting/Casting: 4.5*