cattjones

Page 5 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Snooze Fest, 1 December 2012

I am going to start out by saying that there was so much wrong with this film that I don't even know where to start. Emma saw this film before I did and I have not seen her review, but I know she had to be thinking after she saw it that "Catt is going to hate this film". You know what, she would be right. When the film first started there was this really creepy music playing that had me thinking whether or not I walked into the wrong theater. The music got weirder as the film went on. I also want to know what the deal was with all the financial broadcasting about the economy in the background of almost every scene they shot. Maybe it was some kind of subliminal messaging, but I sure didn't get it. It was more annoying than anything else. They even found un-clever ways of incorporating the president into some of the scenes. Were they trying to say that it is the president's fault that people have to resort to crime in this economy? Who knows? The only thing that I found remotely interesting was a scene that was shot in slow motion so that you could get the full effect of a violent act. The film mainly centers around the activities of Frankie (Scoot McNairy) and Russell (Ben Mendelsohn), who are two junkies looking for a way to score some quick cash. When things go bad, Jackie (Brad Pitt) is brought in to rectify the situation. I am not sure why Brad got top billing in this film. He really didn't do a whole lot in the action department, but when he did; it was brutal. However he did manage to do a lot of talking. I guess they just needed a big name to draw people into the theater, because the story was definitely not going to do the trick. I am not really sure why Mickey (James Gandolfini) was even in the film. They could have left his character out completely and it would not have changed the outcome of the film one bit. Markie Trattman (Ray Liotta) is the catalyst that gets the ball rolling in this film. I found his character to be one of the stupidest. I was truly bored in this film. When the film was about three quarters of the way done, I could have sworn that I heard someone snoring in the theater. This film was killing me softly in the theater. I give it a red light.

Great Film!!, 27 November 2012

This film was truly enjoyable. Peter Ramsey who is known mostly for his story boarding work did a fantastic job with this film. I think that of all the guardians, the one that I really understood first as a child was the Sandman. In Germany when the sandman came on television, it was time to go to bed. There was no discussion to be had. You simply got up, kissed your parents good night and went to bed. How much simpler life would be for parents of young children if the sandman was still around. The story pretty much centers around Pitch Black or the Boogie Man (Jude Law) wanting to take over the minds of little children and making them forget about all the good images in their lives. North or Santa Clause (Alec Baldwin) is the apparent leader of the guardians and must assemble the group in order to fight Pitch. I am not sure why North has a Russian accent, but I think it worked well. Jack Frost (Chris Pine) is a carefree spirit who is all about having fun and playing in the snow and ice. He is reluctantly recruited by the Man in the Moon as the newest addition to the guardian clan. Jack and Bunny (Hugh Jackman) seem to have a tumultuous relationship which adds the charm of this film. Bunny turns out to be from Australia and welds a mean set of boomerangs. Tooth (Isla Fisher) is endearing and is all about dental hygiene. I particularly liked her helpers; especially baby tooth. The additional elements in the film such as the Yetis (only way I can think to describe them) who are responsible for making the toys and the elves who are responsible for seemingly nothing, adds additional comic relief to the film. I think that one of the things that I liked most about this film is that it kind of explains how all the characters make it around the globe in such a short amount of time. I also like the fact that you got to see where all the characters live (not just Santa). I think that kids (and adults) will enjoy this film and definitely leave the theater with a smile on their face. I am not sure if the 3D is really necessary, but for the extra thrills, go ahead an upgrade. I give this film a celebratory green light.

A Film for Grown Folks, 25 November 2012

This film is about a 36 year old man who spends most of his time in an iron lung. He is completely dependent on others for his care and goes through several caregivers. He finally settles on Moon Bloodgood who plays Vera and accompanies him on his journey to sexual discovery. He is transported on a gurney from place to place. John Hawkes (Mark O'Brien) ends up doing most of his acting with only his face; which he did brilliantly. He befriends the local priest, Father Brendan (William H. Macy), who quickly becomes his spiritual leader as well as a very good friend who listens to the plights of Mark's experiences (which is not always easy to do as a priest). I know that it kind of sounds like it would be a depressing movie, but I laughed more in this film than I thought I would. Mark has a wicked sense of humor. One of the funniest lines in the film was "I think Germany is the only country where a sense of humor is illegal" (or something like that). Being half German, I was slightly offended until I realized that it was probably true (smile). Mark eventually hires sex therapist Helen Hunt (Cheryl) who helps him discover his sexuality in six allotted therapy sessions. This film is rated "R" for a reason. There is very frank dialog and sexual content in this film, so if you are thinking about taking one of your kids (under 18) with you to see it, I would not recommend it unless you are prepared to cover their eyes for most of the film. I think the thing that I liked most about this film is that sex is dealt with on a mature level and looked at as being a human need regardless of the limitations of the body. The subject matter for this film is fresh, imaginative and touches on a subject that few able-bodied humans give much thought to. I think that the honest performances of the actors made a seemingly sad and depressing situation, an actual uplifting film. I can see why this film got so much attention at recent independent film festivals. If you are looking for something original, I highly recommend that you get out and see this film. It is a good story and you will leave the theater with a smile on your face. I am giving it an uninhibited green light.

Life of Pi (2012)
Visually Amazing, 24 November 2012

Director Ang Lee has done a great job in the ancient art of storytelling. This story of survival of the fittest at sea is visually beautiful although there are scenes that can be a bit disturbing. The story is being told by the adult Pi (Irrfan Khan) to a down and out writer (Rafe Spall) who is looking for material for a new book. The film does an excellent job of explaining how Pi got his name and how the lessons of his father helps him to cope with the difficulties that he is about to encounter. I think that the incorporation of religion also added some depth to this film by surmising that religion is not as important as spirituality. Pi (Suraj Sharma), a zebra, hyena, orangutan and a Bengal Tiger (affectionately named Richard Parker) are the survivors of an unexplained shipwreck. From that point on Pi has to figure out a way to stay alive, not just from the animals, but also from Mother Nature herself. I can tell you right now that if it was me on the boat I probably wouldn't have lasted a day. But I guess you never know what you might do when presented with extenuating circumstances. I was not really familiar with any of the actors in this film except Gerard Depardieu who played the cook. Now that I think about it, he was a cook in the last film that I saw him in (Last Holiday with Queen Latifah). Apparently this film was based on a book that no one thought could possibly be made into a film; I guess they were wrong. The mere idea of moving a zoo from one continent to another is pretty mind boggling in itself. I do have to say that the CGI in this film was amazing and took computer imagery to a whole new level, but I would not expect anything less from Lee. I especially liked the scenes in the ocean and the events on the mysterious island. Although this film had a "G" rating, I am not sure if it would be appropriate for very small children but I enjoyed this film very much. I do want to add that the minor plot twist at the end kind of makes you wonder what to believe. There is no need for a life jacket for this one. I am giving the film a green light.

Lights Out, 16 November 2012

I am going to go ahead and confess that I have not seen any of the other Twilight films. I guess I am the person that buys the book, but only reads the last chapter (smile). I do have to say that in this case it really did not matter. There is so much publicity about these films that I pretty much know what happened in the other ones, so I really don't feel like I missed much. I don't even think that I needed to see part one of this 2-parter. This film could have stood on its own. I enjoyed all the special effects in the film, but I do have to say that when Renesmee was a new born the CGI kind of reminded me of an E-Trade baby. In this film Bella (Kristen Stewart) is getting used to the idea that she is now a vampire and is starting to flex her super natural powers. She also has to adjust her diet and Edward (Robert Pattinson) has the daunting task of helping her to control some of her now instinctual urges. I have to say that I thought that the vampires would be scarier than they actually were. Even the vampires of the Volturi were not that bad. I do want to say that Jacob (Taylor Lautner) was one big werewolf compared to the other ones. The whole story centers around a rumor gone wild and what can happen if you don't present all the facts. I think that I was a little disappointed because I thought that there would be more action than there was. Just to recap…, you do not have to be a Twi-hard fan to see this film. I think that the ending was unexpected. I saw an interview that Kristen Stewart gave and she said that when the film was over, the whole cast did a dance number in the snow. I was hoping that they would put that at the end of the credits, but I am sure that it will pop up sooner or later. Will this film make me want to go back and see the rest of them…., no, but I am glad that I saw this one. Some folks that have seen them all say that this is the best one. I can't agree or disagree, but I am going to take their word for it. I was not blown away so I am giving this film an amber light.

Skyfall (2012)
And Bond Keeps Rolling Along, 15 November 2012

I have to say that it has been a while since I've seen a Bond film and this is the first one that I have seen with Daniel Craig in the lead role. I don't remember a 007 film being this long, but I have to say that the adventures of Bond are sure to continue. I just hope that they won't start doing them in pairs, like what they did with the Twilight film (part 1 and part 2). From the trailer, you could tell that James Bond comes back from his supposed demise and has to regenerate himself to protect his fearless leader. The one thing that the film does not explain is exactly how he survived the fall off that bridge. They may have shown it after they ran the credits at the end. I have found that more and more films are doing that, which I hate. Especially since this film was so dog gone long. I think that Daniel Craig did a decent job portraying 007, but I was not used to seeing the super spy so down-trodden. Hopefully he will be more charismatic in the next one (if he is still cast). Dame Judi Dench was a formidable "M" and was hardened and definitely goal oriented to the task at hand. Javier Bardem was very convincing as the crazy and totally "out there" villain Silva. He was as nutty and demented as Heath Ledger's Joker. He did a brilliant job making you hate him but at the same time, you wanted to know what the heck he was going to do next. The one thing that I did miss in this film was the abundance of gadgets that are usually introduced, but the film definitely worked without them. It turns out that Ben Whishaw's "Q" was almost too smart for his own britches, but I like the fact that he was a young character. I hope that they bring back Naomie Harris who played Eve in the next film. I think that she and Daniel had great chemistry on screen. This film did hold true to everything that is the amazing "Bond". Although this is yet another butt blister film, it is worth paying the price of a ticket to see it on the big screen. I have to say that the only thing that was missing while viewing this film was a dry martini (shaken, not stirred). I give this film a glaring green light.

Flight (2012/I)
Buckle up, folks, 3 November 2012

When I first saw the preview for this film I had no intention on seeing it. I already have panic attacks every time I know that I am going to have to fly somewhere. I was feeling every bit of turbulence that the folks on the plane were feeling. I hate to fly and this film did nothing to sway my concerns in this mode of travel. As shown in the trailer, at some point the airplane is actually flying upside down. At that point I would no longer need to worry because I would be dead of a heart attack. Although this film centers on the plane crash event, it is not the main focus of the film. The main focus centers around pilot Whip Whitaker (Denzel Washington) and the issues that he is dealing with. Charlie Anderson (Bruce Greenwood) and Hugh Lang (Don Cheadle) arrive on the scene and try to help mitigate the situation, but they become enablers just like almost everyone else in the film. I think that there were two bright spots in the film. The first one was Derek Hogue (Dane Davenport), who is a guy dealing with cancer and has gained a whole new perspective on life. The second character was Harling Mays (John Goodman) who is what can only be described as a closer. He was hilarious. Margaret Thomason (Tamara Tunie) played a huge part in saving the majority of the passengers on the plane although her participation was not acknowledged in the film. I think that the writers kind of dropped the ball a little bit here. I just want to say that I have always wanted to get a sneak peak at Denzel's backside but now that I've seen it, it was really no big deal. The film was definitely good enough to hold your attention although it was longer than it needed to be. There was no real surprises in this film and it was pretty predictable from beginning to end, but I think that director Robert Zemeckis did an excellent job telling this story. For those of us who are fearful of flying, this film will just add to your anxiety and it puts yet another scenario in your head of what could happen as you're cruising at 30,000 feet, but I say, turn off all your electrical devices and buckle down and go and see this film. I give it a green light.

Reincarnation at it's best, 27 October 2012

I am going to start off by saying that I was very excited to see this film. The trailer made it look so interesting and engaging. I think that there is a certain fascination with reincarnation that will draw folks in to see this film, whether you believe in it or not. I expected the film to flow seamlessly from one life to another; that was not the case. I recommend that you drink a red bull and wear something comfortable before you purchase that ticket. There are two main points that I want to make….. One is that the film is a hodgepodge of mini stories that keeps hopping around (hence the red bull). The second point is that this film is long; really long (hence the comfortable clothes). By the time this film was over I was more than ready to get out of there. With all that being said, the film did have some beautiful scenery, but I spent most of the time trying to relate the cast of characters from one life to the next life. Normally in these reviews I would write about the actors and their characters, but that will be difficult to do in this case since all the main actors play so many different roles, so I will just write about what I felt like were the main ones. Plus, I don't want to ruin the fun for the rest of you. The film begins and ends with Zackry (Tom Hanks). When first introduced you are not quite sure if he is from the past or from the future, but all is revealed in the end. Luisa Rey (Halle Berry) is an investigative reporter (among other roles) who is trying to follow in her father's footsteps by uncovering a major injustice in the oil industry. Sonmi-451 (Doona Bae) is the most endearing character. I was rooting for her all the way throughout the film, although when she showed up again in the 1700s, I was a little bit surprised. There are a whole lot of actors that I can mention, but it would be too exhausting. I will say this…. This film is an excellent test of acting skills and stretches the actors in all kinds of directions. The question is whether or not this film is worth getting butt blister to see. I am teetering between amber and green, but I am going to go with a green light just because the subject matter is so engaging.

Alex Cross (2012)
Where's Morgan?, 19 October 2012

I want to start off by saying that I have never read a James Patterson novel, nor did I see Morgan Freeman's interpretation of Alex Cross. This film is about a gun for hire who takes particular enjoyment in sadistically killing his marks. I think that the story was okay, but there was nothing fantastic about it. It was pretty much your run of the mill crime drama that could have probably aired on Criminal Minds on television. Tyler Perry (Dr. Alex Cross) steps out of his usual comedic role to take a stab at the action genre. I don't think that Tyler did a bad job, but I guess that the role would have been more believable with Denzel or Indris. It just seems like some of the emotional aspects of his acting seemed a bit forced, but I have to say that the fight scenes were well choreographed. It seems like Cicely Tyson (Nana Mama) appears in every film that Tyler is in or makes. I like Cicely and I am just glad that she is still getting roles and getting paid. You go, girl! Matthew Fox (Picasso) plays one crazy nut job. However, some of the stuff that he does in this film, I have seen before. His tactics was not new or surprising. I would have really liked it if the writers would have come up with a new and more twisted torture method. Not that I am into torture or anything, but I am into originality. Edward Burns (Tommy Kane) is Alex's partner and lifelong friend. He is ultimately as eager as Alex to hunt down this lunatic for reasons that become clear in the film. Giancarlo Esposito (Daramus Holiday) appears to be popping up all over the place lately. I remember first seeing him in Spike Lee's Do the Right Thing and now he also has a major role in Revolution on television. Good for him. To sum things up, the film did keep my attention and the story was good, but I am not sure that this is a film that belongs on the big screen. I hope that they are not thinking about turning this into a franchise, but that probably depends on how well the film does at the box office. Maybe Morgan Freeman did a better job than Tyler. I may have to go back and check out his version. I give this film an amber light.

Reminds me of Pulp Fiction (in a way), 18 October 2012

I think that director Martin McDonagh may have gotten a little bit of Quentin Tarantino fever with Seven Psychopaths. This film is sure to be a cult favorite. This film is basically about a screenwriter who is struggling with coming up with material for a new film about psychopaths when he gets caught up in the violent elements of Los Angeles. The reason that they get caught up in the mess is one of the stupidest reasons ever. It is so absurd, that it makes this film very comical. With that being said this is a film within a film, so just sit back and watch the madness happen. There are some disturbing images in the film and it is peppered with retro-vision, but I have to say that I really had a great time. This film also contains future-vision which was refreshing and added some really weird humor to the film. Marty (Colin Farrell) is the struggling screenwriter who has to drag himself out of the bottle in order to get anything done. His girlfriend Kaya (Abbie Cornish) has the daunting task of having to put up with his drunkenness. Marty's best friend Bill (Sam Rockwell) is in cahoots with Hans (Christopher Walken) and these two are pretty much responsible for dragging Marty into this very strange set of circumstances. Along comes Charlie (Woody Harrelson) who is the driving force behind most of the craziness and violence. This film is mostly centered on the fellows, with the exception of Myra (Linda Bright Clay) who plays Hans' wife. She plays a major role in the ever so slight shift in the film. I have to say that I am not real fond of most violent films, but this one was so twisted that I was thoroughly entertained. There is a lot to keep track of in this film, but it is not a tough thing to do. Also, this is one of those films that when the credits start rolling, you should not want to get up too quickly. I really wish that this film was better advertised because a lot of folks are going to miss out on some exceptional movie-making. If you do not get a chance to get to the theater to see this quirky film, then definitely check it out when it comes out on DVD. I am giving this film a glaring surreal green light.

Page 5 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]