empty1969

Oblivion (2013/I)
Decent sci-fi that doesn't cater to the masses, 2 November 2013

I thought this was a great film. There are so many movies these days that, no matter how serious the subject matter end up lumbered with some wise-cracking hero who chucks out a sequence of sharp one-liners throughout the entire film whilst taking down all adversaries with ease. These kind of films really cheese me off because the invariable accompaniment to this is a dead awful, dumbed-down plot. Think Independence Day.

Oblivion isn't Independence Day. It's up there with Sunshine, Solaris and Prometheus. If you get bored by complexity or seriousness or lack of non-stop action, don't bother seeing it.

There were a couple of very minor questionable areas of the plot but nothing that couldn't be feasible in context.

I highly recommend Oblivion. It's a solid, well paced movie with some good twists in the plot and some moving moments. The acting is solid, the visuals are amazing and the alien really felt suitably alien too.

Pearls Before Swine, 26 July 2011

This movie shouldn't be my cup of tea. I'm pretty cynical and my favourite film genres are sci-fi and horror in that order. However, this film blew me away.

I don't understand all of the negative reviews concentrating on the CGI. It's supposed to be depicting an other-worldly realm between earth and heaven - what do you expect / want to see if you go to Heaven, grim city streets with alleys full of garbage and low-lifes? I found the imagery to be exactly what I would hope from heaven - endless possibilities bounded only by imagination - and it delivered that feeling.

As for the plot and the acting, I thought it was first-rate from start to finish.

If you still have a soul in this cynical world then I'm sure you'll like it - don't listen to the miserable horde.