gluba2000

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Poor Film Carried Only By Elise And Devine!, 14 November 2005

I ordered this on OnDemand a few weeks ago and I wasn't at all impressed with the film.

I was, however, impressed with Kimberly Elise's and Loretta Devine's performances. Those two women alone carry this mess of a film.

The film is filled with clichés. And the way the story is presented is sort of mismatched and should've been shown in the proper order, from front to back, not from back to front (with the ending being first.) The film could've been a really great one if somebody touched up the screenplay and got a better director.

With that all being said, the film has a powerful opening and two powerful performances from Kimberly Elise and Loretta Devine.

It's sad how two actresses (both of whom are personal favorites of mine) are reduced to getting scraps like this for films.

Their immense talent is wasted on awful, forgettable movies such as this when it should be used in good quality films that zip them off to the Oscars.

It's sad that Hollywood has this bunch of actresses that they have no idea what to do with so the real talent is left to getting D-grade fair such as this.

I wouldn't say that it's a black or white thing as far as actors/actresses getting good roles but Hollywood sure has a lot of underused talent with black actors. The mentioned Loretta Devine and Kimberly Elise come to mind, as well as Whoopi Goldberg. After The Color Purple all she got was those pathetic comedies (with only sister Act and Ghost rising to the occasion.)

With that being said there are just as many white actors as there are black actors that Hollywood has no idea what to do with so I don't think it's a matter of Hollywood being racist anymore, just being stupid.

See This Movie, 8 October 2005

I saw Good Night And Good Luck today along with a packed stadium seated theater.

I had no idea who the McCarthy guy was or the whole deal that went on with him and his quest for communists in the US so this film was very informative and interesting.

For those, like me, who don't know who he is or what the film is about (well I had an idea of what the plot was) it's about a senator Joe McCarthy who is trying to weed out the supposed communists in the country while also terrorizing innocent citizens and a news team at CBS who exposed what he was doing.

Like I said the film was very informative and interesting. Great direction by George Clooney, great acting by all, amazing cinematography, sound, makeup, and costumes. I hope those big shots at the Academy award this film in all of those departments come Oscar time!

Just a little thing I thought that was kind of funny was how they allowed the news anchor to smoke while on TV, had the tobacco companies sponsor them, and how everyone in the news department chain smoked. My, my, how times have changed!

I was happy to see MADtv's Alex Borstein play the part of secretary/assistant Natalie (at least someone from that show is doing noteworthy projects after they leave!) She fits right into 1950s period pieces in my opinion.

I enjoyed the film but thought it moved at a bit of a snail's pace at some parts which is why I took off 2 points.

Did I See A Different Movie?, 30 September 2005

With all of the rave reviews for A History Of Violence I was expecting something great.

I'm wondering did I see a different movie? I thought this movie was so filled with clichés and was very predictable at times.

I honestly didn't like it one bit.

The movie started off by setting up for the audience that Tom Stall is an "all American" guy by commenting to diner patrons that he'll "see them at church on Sunday" and by having a nice demeanor/way to himself.

Some guys come in, wanna rob the place and kill them all. Tom acts in self defense, kills both of the guys. Now he's a town hero.

Some suspicious looking guys come by and call him Joey. Then his wife gets suspicious and she finds out about his former life as Joey, a member of the mob in Philly. When she does she storms into the house mad at Tom/Joey, he grabs her, they have sex on the stairs, after they're done she fumes off upstairs.

Then later on some guys come by wanting Tom/Joey to come back with them to Philly, an argument ensues, gun shots are fired, the wife screams at the windows and the daughter asks her calmly "is everything OK, Mommy?" like she didn't just hear the gun shots!

The movie was just so filled with clichés. The worst of all the clichés was the son being the typical nerd with the "different" friend (we're supposed to assume that by her hair) the cliché tough jock (with the team jacket and all!) who gangs up on him with his friends.

The subplot was boring, pointless, and above all (once again,) cliché.

The acting I didn't find all that spectacular either (didn't the main actor win an award for his acting in this at the 2005 Cannes film Festival or something?) I thought the actress who played the young daughter's acting was so stale and bad.

I say DON'T waste your money on this if you're listening to the rave reviews. The movie, in my humble opinion, was bad and not at all an "edge of your seat" thriller.

Good But Has It's Flaws..., 26 September 2005

I say I'd give The Corpse Bride a 7 out of 10.

The animation is beautiful but the script is only half assed done.

The film runs at an underwhelming 76 minutes, the maggot looks like an inch worm, and I couldn't understand what they were saying in some of the songs.

I did laugh at parts of it and I did like it but I felt it could've been much, much better.

With that being said Burton still better win the Oscar for Best Animated Feature come Oscar time.

Not for the quality of this particular film but for him NEVER being nominated on any of his other amazing films (especially The Nightmare Before Christmas.) I'm sure the rabid fan boys/girls/persons that live in Hot Topic will be all over this review for not giving it 10 stars (they had merchandise for this movie weeks before it was even out!)

I say wait until it comes out to video. Paying the $7.25 for a film that's just over a little an hour long and not all that great to boot is barely worth the admission.

...What?, 11 June 2005

I couldn't make heads or tails out of this terrible film noir.

The plot was confusing, the acting was alright, but the picture quality was awful! Though I bought this at a "Gansters Double Pack" (8 movies on two discs) at WalMart for $5.50 and when you put the DVD in, it apologizes for the awful picture quality that some of the movies may have.

The plot was flip flopping everywhere I couldn't understand it and had no idea what was going on...then "The End" popped up and the movie was over.

What a waste of my time!

I say don't waste your money or time on this! Or if you too bought that Gansters Double Pack then just skip over this one...

Ah, Where To Start?, 5 June 2005

Where should I begin to review The Brain That Wouldn't Die? Maybe I should start off by saying that it's really what you'd expect.

It's a bad (and I mean bad!) early 60's science fiction movie (but it's one of those so bad it's good...really good movies.) We start off with two doctors in the operating room. Once they're finished with the operation (blood free, of course!) and have touched their faces with their hands (which were just inside the patient's organs but that's OK I'm sure, right?!) Dr. Bill's wife Jan walks into the operating room casually and we find out that they're heading up to the family's country home.

Dr. Bill and his wife Jan are now driving up a road to their country home. All of a sudden Bill decides to speed up and how do we know he's speeding up? By shots of moving scenery and his foot pushing on the gas. But then, he's losing control of the car! And how do we know this you ask? We see a sign that reads "Winding road" and the car turning (using shots they has just shown several times again.) Now they've crashed (and Bill falls from a direction that isn't near where the car has landed) and he takes his wife's severed head (and we're supposed to assume that because he has something wrapped up that he's holding like ball) and yet again no blood is coming out! Now to make a long review a little shorter. Jan becomes "Jan in a Pan" (who is never referred to as that in the movie so I think adoring fans affectionately gave her that name) and Bill is now on a quest to find Jan a "perfect body."

Hestarts his quest by going to a stripper club and there's a 6 minute scene of just a stripper dancing with only stripper music playing (which also plays throughout the entire movie whenever there's a scene with flirting going on) then Bill walks back to the stripper's dressing room, they talk, yadda, yadda, yadda...now another stripper who was eyeing Bill walks in, they argue, Bill leaves now the two strippers are having an all out cat fight.

Hilarious! It's my favorite part of the movie because it is so pointless and has NOTHING to do what so ever with the movie! Oh and when the cat fight is over there's a shot of a cat on the wallpaper and we hear a "MEOW!" Now he's at a beauty contest. They announce there's five beauties to come out. Only four show up. Pointless and stupid once again.

Also, in between these little quests for Jan's "perfect body" have been Jan and a "monster" talking back and forth ("one tap for yes, three if you can hear me!") There was also some other "experiment" who is also "deformed" (it's his hand which we're supposed to believe is really deformed when it's really just the actor curling up his hand.) The monster is so thoroughly locked in his room (with a simple door with hinges and an everyday padlock of course! That does it's job great!)

Now Bill is on a quest to find an old friend who is "scarred." He shows up at her place and there are photographers there (right, like a woman would be safe alone at night, in a bikini, alone in her apartment, with a bunch of men taking picture of her!) She shows him his scar (which to me looks like a mark that you'd get from sleeping on your face after you wake up in the morning.) She says she doesn't trust anyone after being "scarred" by a man who she put all her trust in yet she's going out into the middle of the night alone with a man she barely can remember.

The ending is that Dr. Bill brings what's her face back to his house, he drugs her, she passes out, the Monster escapes (somehow he musters up the strength to knock down that hard to open door by taking it off it's hinges. Dr. Bill is killed and now we can see the Monster (the actor's hair is visible I think.) Another goof that I noticed was that the actor's lips didn't match the words that were being said! It's what I expected, it was great, I laughed, I cried...well not really. I did laugh though. Can't wait to see the MST3K version too! I loved Jan in a Pan! I thought she was precious (though many hate her.) I want one of my own now....

The real pathetic thing is that when this was first released that many people were probably horrified by it. And for those that weren't they had the eye candy in there for those who got bored.

The movie also makes itself look even more pathetic that in the end credits it lists the wrong title with "The Head That Wouldn't Die" then "THE END" below it.

Not sure what to rate it so I won't rate it at all.

What A Terrible Adaption..., 29 May 2005

After seeing only half of the film in school back in November, today, I saw that it was on Flix channel and decided to watch it to see the rest of it and to write a new review on it.

The book that the film is based on, Hatchet, is OK. This is a terrible adaption of it though.

Awful (and I mean awful) acting, bad dialogue, and average cinematography make up this terrible adaption of Hatchet.

The film starts off Brian who is the cliché image of a late 80s teen (sporting a mullet, banging his head to cheap 80s rock music) and his mother driving in a car for him to get on a plane to fly up to see his estranged Dad (his parents are divorced...now cue the dramatic pause.) Now Brian has said goodbye to Mom and dog and is flying up to see his father. The pilot is a fat, ugly, rude man (wasn't like that in the book) who after 2 minutes in the air, has a heart attack and dies. In the book it goes into more detail with the pilot having more pains and it seemed to be that they were in the air much longer before the pilot had his heart attack.

The plane (within another two minutes) has gone empty on fuel (leaving us, the viewers, to assume that he's been up there for hours even though the sun hasn't changed position and the scenery looks EXACTLY the same.) Now's he's crashed landed.

This is the point in the movie where everything is a lot different then it was in the book. In the book it said his jacket was torn to shreds but in the movie it is perfectly fine with no tears or rips (looks like he just bought it), it never said he climbed a mountain, saw a wolf, and fell asleep up there on the mountain, it never said he was attacked by a bear (it said a moose but not a bear), it never said he eats the several bugs that he does, it never mentions the second tornado or that he learned to get those sparrows, skin them, and eat them or that little fish farm trap that he makes (that is destroyed by one of the tornadoes) nor does it mention him hurting his ribs from one of the tornadoes.

I don't even think you can call what was depicted in the film a tornado. All it was was just a windstorm that knocked down several of his things.

My favorite part of this camp fest was Brian's lame flashbacks (that are never mentioned in the book) especially the cliché scene of Brian waking up, walking over to the window and seeing his Dad (with all of his things packed that can all perfectly fit into just the back of his truck) leaving and screams "DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDD!!!!" (yet of course his father didn't hear him even though he was just right outside) and he punches his fist through the window (wtf?)

The ending is the only thing that is close to what happened in the book (I said close.) In the book I think one of the key things that the rescue pilot said to Brian when he landed was "you're the kid who they've been looking for! They stopped months ago..." yet they left that line out in the movie.

There's a pathetic epilogue with Brian (somehow without counseling or therapy) getting back to normal with his family. I think we were supposed to assume that they were getting together for Thanksgiving (because they had a turkey on the counter.) Then it shows his temporary home (for what, in the movie, seemed like three days, but in the book was for several months) and his hatchet, still in a tree where he left it (also didn't happen in the book) showing where he carved a message, so perfectly done: "HOME" (where we really supposed to believe that he carved that that perfectly with just that hatchet?)

No quote can sum this movie up better then when Enid from Ghost World said "this is so bad it's gone past good and back to bad again." Perfect description of this movie.

I wouldn't recommend it to somebody (who hasn't read the book) and are just looking to watch a movie nor would I to somebody who has read the book (because they'll be disappointed and bored to death.

For those who have read the book, leave what your imagination created as the movie. This is awful and will bring down your thoughts on the book.

Awful But (Of Course) Adds A Nice Campy Charm To It, 21 May 2005

I was up the other night and I couldn't get to sleep so I decided to waste 90 minutes of my precious life watching this, Sleepaway Camp 3.

I knew right away (judging from the titles and that it's from the late 80's) that I was in for a campy, awful, cheap, makes-no-sense horror flick. What supported my opinion that the film would suck was the wonderful opening shot of Angela chasing and running over a girl with a garbage truck (and somehow people standing around didn't see it!)

Angela disguises herself as the girl that she just killed and she is back at the camp that (they said) a year ago there were brutal killings (by Angela) but they opened the camp back up (with new management, how comforting!)

The camp is an experiment to be PC by having every race under the sun there and to have them all be from two different tax brackets (lower and upper class) how do we know which are which? The lower class are the burnout "tough" group dressed in leather jackets playing rap music.

My favorite was the "tough" group. I loved the Chinese chick and also the black guy, who played rap loudly on his stereo and (somehow) got his knives and a gun into the camp.

There was nothing scary about this (yet another key ingredient to make sure your horror film is very campy) there were a few shots of T&A here and there and (of course) the killings.

The killings, the acting, and the dialogue are hilariously bad (though, of course that's one of the main-key ingredients for making a campy slasher flick.)

For the casual viewer just looking for a good horror flick to watch, I would say don't waste your time on this but for the hardcore horror fans who thrive on finding films like this I'd say go right ahead. Though fans like that have probably already watched this film a dozen times over.

I Loved It More The Second Time Around!, 19 May 2005

When I had first watched High Tension it was completely in French with no subtitles so I couldn't understand what they were saying but I figured the plot was easy to follow (it's a slasher flick, but an intelligent and good one) but last night I watched it again (this time with English subtitles) and I respect and enjoyed the movie a WHOLE lot more.

High Tension is definitely one to see once it hits here in the States (which currently is slated to be released on June 10th.) The film is full of scares and tension (hence the name High Tension) also LOTS of blood! LOTS! Though a few scenes will be snipped for the American release. Though I think that's for the better (for some scenes at least) but I'd love to see the audience's reaction to the (uncut) blood & gore.

I love this movie and I'm going to watch it again for a 3rd time and maybe again a 4th time too and I'll definitely be going to see it once it hits theaters here in the US!

The film is a MUST SEE if you want some scares. It is a lot scarier then the proclaimed and so called"horrifying" and "scary" films like The Amityville Horror or The Ring. This film is actually scary (and good.)

Don't rely on other's reviews though! Don't spoil anything for yourself! Just go in there with the thought that it's going to be a great movie (which it is!) See it for yourself and form your own opinion!

Funny, Sad, And Original, 18 May 2005

Pieces of April is a simple movie. It's about a girl, April, who invites her estranged family to her apartment in New York City for her first ever Thanksgiving dinner that she's cooked.

We see from the beginning that her family despises her and have forgotten about her, in the car the grandmother says "April? I know who she is! I thought she was dead..." I was really shocked at how cruel the family was when referring to April though.

April's mother was the cruelest is a lot of the movie, when they're driving down the road she's laughing saying about April's cooking "spit it out in a napkin! or in the toilet!!!", the mother also has breast cancer and says "April bit my nipple when I tried breast feed her! She's the cancer!" The younger sister thrives on having the most attention and correcting people when they think they were referring to April when it was really her, for example, when their mother was trying to think of a happy memory of April the sister corrects her and says "No, Mom, that was me. April was six and I was three." (Much like how Missy treated Dawn in Welcome to the Dollhouse.) April's younger brother seems neutral on it as does their grandmother but it's because she is (obviously) becoming senile and has early forms of Alzheimers. The father seems to have some compassion for April and isn't a downer like the mother.

The film flip flops between the family driving to April's apartment and April desperately trying to prepare her Thanksgiving meal.

April runs into some problems and finds help from several other tenants in the building (one in particular who I think was played by the guy who is on Will & Grace, by the way, I don't watch that show and I've only seen it twice which was over my aunt's house and I hated it.)

The movie was good though there was this boring and ultimately pointless subplot with April's boyfriend Bobby going throughout town to get a suit, buy flowers, and is then ganged upon April's former druggie boyfriend and his pathetic crew. Why that was included in the film I have no idea. It didn't do anything for the film so it was pointless and entertaining at the least.

The film had a somewhat cliché ending (to me it seemed like that) but it worked out.

A good film which is funny, sad, and worth a look.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]