Reviews

Fun To Watch
31 May 2004
"The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" wasn't a really bad movie, but it wasn't the best of movies either. I'm not really into this genre of movies but I found it quite entertaining. I liked all the characters. I think my favorite was Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde. He was creepy. I liked how this movie wasn't meant to be scary but the first time you watch it there are moments that will make you jump. Such as the moment where we first find out that Peta Wilson's character is a vampire. The special effects were great and I didn't think the use of CGI was overused. Sean Connery was mediocre. I really don't have an opinion about him but his acting was okay. But there were moments where his accent was so thick that you couldn't understand what he was saying. But his character was likeable. I don't have much more to say about this film except that it was a fun viewing experience and I loved all the effects and characters. And it's definitely not the worst movie ever made. I've seen worse. And at least this movie wasn't boring! Anyways. Thanks for reading my review!
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Deeply moving, disturbing film
31 May 2004
"The Prince of Tides" is a wonderful movie. I loved every minute of it and the story is told so well by Mr. Nick Nolte. I've never really been a fan of his or of Barbra Striesand but they played their roles to perfection in this. I won't go ahead and tell the story line because everyone who reads these comments already know! I thought Barbra done a wonderful job at directing this movie. She didn't focus on herself too much and I think we saw more of Nick than we did her. I found the scenes of Tom Wingo's (Nolte) childhood disturbing. Especially when his father would yell at the children and fight with his mother over turning off the television or having something he didn't like for dinner. But the rape scene was the most disturbing of them all. It wasn't graphic or gratuitous, but seeing young Tom screaming and crying over what was happening to him is an image that is burned into my memory. But I loved how his older brother Luke was very protective over his family and killed the rapists. He was a young man and it is disturbing to see an adolescent man killing three grown men with a shotgun but they deserved it! They broke into someone's home and brutally rape a mother and her two young children! It was a sigh of relief when Luke blew the men away. Tom loved his brother very much and every time he talked about him he would become sad. I also loved the relationship between Tom and his sister Savannah. He loved her so much and I loved the scenes where he was visiting her in the hospital and reading to her. Very moving.

All in all I thought this was an excellent movie and I loved all the performances. And I agree that it's a disappointment that this film didn't win any Oscars. Nick Nolte should have won because I think, in this film, that he gave the performance of a lifetime. Great acting by all the cast. Thanks for reading my review!
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
River's Edge (1986)
Good movie!
30 May 2004
I just watched "River's Edge" for the very first time tonight and I couldn't believe how good it was! I had heard about Crispin Glover's performance in this movie and, being a recent fan of his, I had to see it. I was truly amazed. He is a very talented actor. I had seen him in the movie "Willard" and that was what got me interested in him. I loved his wild hand gestures and his sudden outbursts. His rapid speeches and the way his eyes would grow wide during them were quite amusing. He played his character Layne as if he were him. Very brilliant. But I also liked the rest of the cast. Daniel Roebuck's character as John, the boy who strangles his girlfriend for no apparent reason, was to me, the most disturbing performance of this film. He felt no remorse for the horrible crime he committed. When he looked at the corpse his eyes were expressionless. It was haunting to see how emotionless he was. Gripping. Keanu Reeves was great. In my opinion, he was the only one of the gang who was hurt by the murder. I don't think he actually knew Jamie (the victim) but he was truly haunted by the sight of the corpse. He told Clarissa (Ione Skye) right before they made love that the image of the body was still frozen in his mind. That would happen to me too! I also found Dennis Hopper's performance as Feck very brilliant. He was a killer too but he was sorry for what he had done. I was shocked when he killed John. John had told him the whole story about Jamie's murder and Feck knew John had to pay for what he had done. Very moving. I really found the performances of the young children very brilliant as well. Joshua Miller's character as Tim will probably scare the living daylights out of you. I couldn't believe how loveless he was! And as one person commented on this board, it is disturbing to think how there are actually 12 year olds out there like that! But "River's Edge" is a very good movie and should be viewed by any movie fan. Thanks for reading my review!
26 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Willard (2003)
I liked this movie, but I HATED the scene with the cat
21 May 2004
"Willard" is a really good movie. I liked it a lot and Crispin Glover is a good actor, although this is the only film I have ever seen him in. This was a disturbing movie and not scary. Maybe a little disgusting in some parts, but definitely not a horror. As almost everyone who loved this movie has said, Crispin Glover WAS Willard. I thought he played him to perfection. He was shy, sad, sweet, quiet, angry, manic, and crazy all in one! He was a mixture of all those things! I loved the way Crispin portrayed him. Whenever he was p*ssed off all he did was clench his teeth, breath hard, and his eyes would grow to the size of quarters. I liked how he wasn't violent and homicidal until he befriended those rats and he thought about all those people who wronged him. Especially his boss. What an ass! He deserved it. Willard was a sweet guy. He really was. I thought the scene when the boss killed Socrates was sad. And I don't usually find it sad when rats are killed. But Socrates was Willard's only friend! Besides Kat, of course, but I think Willard liked Socrates more than her. :) Anyways. Crispin Glover played Willard flawlessly. A great actor. As for the rats, they didn't scare me. They were disgusting and ravenous, but not very frightening. Ben the evil rat was creepy, though. I think the only thing that would have made the rats scary is if they had glowing red eyes and long fang-like teeth. Now that would be frightening. But I don't think Willard would have wanted to hang out with them if they looked like that. But the rats were OK but not scary. Well, overall I thoroughly enjoyed this film and my favorite thing about it was Crispin's performance. I loved watching him. He was creepy. Anyways. Thanks for reading my review!

P.S. As for the cat scene, TOTALLY unnecessary. Very sad and disturbing, especially if you're a cat lover, like I am. I had to give my cat away last week because she had fleas and watching that scene made me think of her. And I cried! I CRIED! And I think the music was what made it an even sadder scene. That's the only thing I didn't like about this movie. Very cruel and out of place.

Good movie, though!!!
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Gothika (2003)
Creepy stuff!
1 April 2004
I thought "Gothika" was a great, creepy horror story. Halle Berry didn't disappoint. I won't tell about the synopsis because everyone knows and everybody has said it. I'll just say that it had just enough scares and the right amount of blood and gore. I really liked how it kept you on the edge of your seat. I was very nervous while watching this movie. I didn't know what was gonna happen next! There were several parts in Gothika that confused me. Such as when the ghost went into Miranda Gray's body and it kept showing scenes of Miranda murdering her husband and she couldn't remember committing the crime. And the scenes where the ghost was tossing Miranda around and beating her up were creepy as hell. When it came time to reveal who the killer was...you just knew. It was obvious. But I liked how they revealed him. Very good. Well, I don't have much more to say about this movie except I thought it was good and very disturbing at some parts. Halle Berry, Robert Downey Jr., Penelope Cruz, and all the supporting actors gave great performances. Thanks for reading my review.
Hilarious!
25 March 2004
"Shanghai Knights" is a great movie! It is so funny and, although it comes VERY close, it's better than the first one, Shanghai Noon. I had rented this movie when it first came to video but several months had passed and I had forgotten much of it. Well, I just recently bought it and it's hilarious! I love this movie! Jackie Chan and Owen Wilson make a great pair. They have such great chemistry on screen that it makes you wonder if they're really buddies off screen. I love how they bicker back and forth at each other and they're always there for each other when they make each other mad. That reminds me of the scene where Roy overhears Chon calling him "Roy O'Baloney" and he gets angry so he goes to the bar and gets drunk. And Chon finds him and is trying to cheer him up but Roy starts throwing beer bottles at him and he falls out of his chair in the process. That was a great scene. It seems like it was trying to be sentimental but it ended up being funny instead. There were so many other funny scenes in this movie as well. Aiden Gillen was great as the villain Lord Rathbone. Doesn't he look like Alec Baldwin? The first time I saw this movie I thought for sure he was kin to Mr. Baldwin. His hairstyle bugged me though. It was constantly stood up and had that greasy look to it. And didn't he smile a whole lot? But it was an evil smile. Anyways. Despite his flaws he had a great part in this move. Charlie Chaplin's accent also bugged me. It sounded fake and hearing it was like needles being driven through my ears. But I liked his character. It was cute how he was always causing Roy and Chon drama. He had a cute role. This movie did have a lot more action and fighting scenes than the first one. But this movie's fight scenes, I thought, were better than the ones in Shanghai Noon. Very well choreographed by Mr. Chan himself. I think the only thing I didn't particularly like about Shanghai Knights was the beginning when Chon's father was killed and so were his guards. That was a little violent and disturbing but it didn't stop me from loving the movie. Well, thanks for reading my review. I love this movie!
Zoolander (2001)
So funny!
25 March 2004
First off, I want to say that "Zoolander" isn't a good movie and yes, it is stupid. But that's what it's supposed to be! Do you actually think that Ben thought this would win an Oscar? Hell no! His intention was to make people laugh and he succeeded! This movie is hilarious! I laughed all the way through and I was crying I was laughing so hard. Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson were great in their roles as totally clueless male models. I loved how they acted so stupid. I also loved how they acted like they hated each other because Hansel (Wilson) had become famous and stole Derek's (Stiller) popularity. It was cute to see them walk past each other and give dirty looks. And the walk off scene was so funny. How could you not laugh? What made those scenes even more funny was that Stiller and Wilson are really friends and they're trying to act like they hate each other. That's some funny stuff! Will Ferrell was his usual funny, talented, and absolutely great self. He's one of my favorite Saturday Night Live alumnis. He seems to make every role he plays funnier than he's actually supposed to be. He's awesome. Ben's wife Christine Taylor was also great as Matilda and his father Jerry Stiller brought much humor to his role as well. This movie is stupid, yes, but it is definitely not the worst film ever made. It had some great hilarious scenes and Derek and Hansel's stupidity was the funniest bit of the movie. Ben wanted to make people laugh and he succeeded. But anyways. I thought this movie was laugh out loud funny and thanks for reading my review.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This movie was a good movie
23 March 2004
I thought "Monster's Ball" was a very good movie. I loved all the performances. Although some scenes did make me angry I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm not a particular fan of Billy Bob Thornton, but he is a very good actor. I didn't like his character at first because of how racist he was and how he caused his son's suicide but once he hooked up with Halle Berry's character all his old ways changed. Halle Berry deserved that Oscar. I liked her character because of how lonely she was. Her husband has been killed in the electric chair and her son has been killed in a car accident. Although I didn't like how she treated her son because of his eating habits, she truly loved him and his death just tore her apart. I think if she hadn't met Billy Bob, then she probably would have killed herself. She just didn't have anything to live for after her family died. I can see why some people would be upset by the sex scene between Billy Bob and Halle but it was necessary. Hank and Leticia needed each other. And I loved the fact that she helped him get over his prejudice ways. And I was so glad when he put his father in the nursing home. What an ass! Saying that rude comment in front Leticia. She didn't deserve that. I did think it was a little sad when Hank puked after having sex with Leticia but that didn't stop him from wanting to be with her. Heath Ledger's small part was good. I felt so sorry for him because of his father telling him that he never loved him. That would make someone commit suicide! P. Diddy had a great role as well. It's always sad to see someone die in the electric chair. I can't imagine how horrible that must be to experience. I thought the ending of this movie was somewhat disappointing but it didn't make me hate the movie. I really liked this movie and all the actors gave great performances. And Halle Berry is the proud winner of a well-deserved Oscar. Well, thanks for reading my review.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Good Girl (2002)
Good movie
23 March 2004
I thoroughly enjoyed "The Good Girl." I was a little skeptical about watching it because I'm not a huge fan of Jennifer Aniston but it was like 3AM and there was nothing else to watch so my mom and I decided on this movie. It was so good! It was somewhat slow-moving, but it had a great storyline. All the actors gave great performances. Especially Aniston. She was convincing as the bored store clerk who can't conceive with her pot-smoking painter husband (John C. Reilly). I liked Reilly's character, though. Even though he smoked pot occasionally he was generally a sweetheart and he loved Justine dearly. And I thought it was kinda sad when he hit her for having an affair and he was truly sorry for what he'd done. His actions really broke his heart. Anyways. Jake Gyllenhaal was great as "Holden". I thought his character was somewhat disturbed though. He seemed really sweet but once Justine stopped wanting sex and tried to get him to go to the hospital for help he would just snap and get angry. It was like he had multiple personalities. It was real shocking to find out that he killed himself. Over Justine!! And I thought it was sh*tty of Bubba to blackmail her by making her sleep with him so he wouldn't tell her husband about her infidelities. I couldn't imagine how she must've felt. What I really liked about this movie was that I felt so sympathetic for Justine because of all the wrong she done when she didn't really want to do it and all the tragedies that are happening around her. It seemed like she should've been the one to kill herself instead of Holden! But I liked the ending and even though the baby wasn't her husband's, she still loved him enough to be with him and lie to him. He was nice and really good to her. I liked how all the characters were well written and you got the feel of each one's personality. Well, I liked this film and thanks for reading my review.

P.S. Was it really necessary to see Tim Blake Nelson's full frontal nudity? That was just disturbing.
So funny!
18 March 2004
"Starsky and Hutch" was a great movie! It was so funny. I loved every minute of it. I found it thoroughly entertaining and, to me, it's one of those "feel-good" movies. Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson are such a great team. I've seen all of the seven movies they've been in together and they work so well together. They enjoyed making this movie and it shows. This movie kept me laughing. It was a great comedy. I liked how a cop who is by-the-book and follows the rules (Starsky) was paired up with a cop who's always wanting to catch the bad guys and is always late (Hutch). Once they're partners you know they're gonna drive each other crazy. They're probably gonna end up hating each other and wanting to kill each other. But they become friends and make up when they have a breakdown. And I think the fact that Ben and Owen really are friends made the movie more enjoyable to watch. Yeah, there were scenes that seemed to drag on a bit and there were scenes that weren't funny but this movie was fully entertaining. I enjoyed it very much. Thanks for reading my review.
So.....GOOD!!
1 February 2004
I just saw The Butterfly Effect tonight and I was so amazed. I absolutely LOVED it! It was so good. I was not bored for one moment and it kept me on the edge of my seat. I was anxious to find out what was going to happen next. Some of the scenes were disturbing and hard to watch but they were significant to the movie. Ashton Kutcher has proven himself that he can do drama. I think he did a very good job. I kept thinking to myself, was that really the same guy who was the host of Punk'd and who was in Dude, Where's My Car? (Although I do like that movie.) It was kind of unbelievable. I really enjoyed how they didn't make is character mean and sadistic because of his traumatic childhood. He was a real softie. Every time he would do something bad (mainly when he was an adult) he would have this scared look on his face and he couldn't believe what he had done. For example, when he killed Tommy he wasn't happy that he did it. He realized that it was an accident. And when he yelled at the fellow frat boy when he asked him the Greek alphabet he truly felt sorry for what he had done. That made me enjoy the movie even more. I did get kind of puzzled because there were so many jumping-back-in-time events and the sound in the theater would get so loud every time that they would happen I would have to cover my ears. But this movie was just great. I couldn't explain it to anyone if I had to. I'd just have to tell them to go see it for yourself! I'm glad Ashton took this role. It was a good change for him. The Butterfly Effect is now on my favorite movie list. I will own it when it comes out on video. I wish I didn't have to wait 5 months though! But it's worth it. Anyways. Thanks for reading my review.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Jim Carrey has become funny again!!!
27 November 2003
I don't know what's wrong with you people. "Bruce Almighty" was a great comedy! It had some great one-liners, funny scenes, a great storyline, and funny dialogue. Jim Carrey has become funny again. His latest movies haven't been him. I think he tried to step away from comedy for a while and become a serious actor but it didn't work for him. I'm sure glad he decided to enlighten moviegoers and make this wonderful comedy. He shines in this one. Morgan Freeman was great as God. He's such a great actor. I loved the part where Bruce asked him how many fingers he was holding up and God said seven and Bruce held out his hand and he had two extra fingers on one hand. And the part where Bruce was making that anchorman talk gibberish was hilarious. I did think that the whole thing about Grace (Jennifer Aniston) getting mad at Bruce and leaving him was a little sappy but every comedy has to have a breakup/leaving scene. You know? Oh, and one of the scenes I laughed the hardest at was when Bruce was in the cafe and he said he needed a spoon and a spoon came out of his mouth! Now that was funny. I had never seen this movie when I bought it on DVD. Well, I'm sure glad I own it now. Jim Carrey is definitely one of the greatest comedic actors on screen right now. Anyways. "Bruce Almighty" was a great comedy and very funny. Thanks for reading my review.
Drumline (2002)
Not bad
27 November 2003
"Drumline" was a pretty good movie. I ended up liking it after it went off. It had a great storyline and most of the acting was great. The guy who played Devon actually did a pretty decent job. His slang did start to get old though. Orlando Jones did a good job at playing a serious role. Although I think he's better at comedy. The only complaint I have about this film is that I thought it was a little too long. The scene at the end where the two bands are trying to break the tie seemed to last forever. And I started to get a headache after hearing all that drumming. But I'm not criticizing this movie. It was watchable. The scene where the band gets to perform at the football game for the first time was excellent and it was pretty cool to see them form those designs as they played their instruments. This was a good poignant family movie. Thanks for reading my review.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Second Best Brat-Pack Movie
26 November 2003
"St. Elmo's Fire" is one of my favorite movies. I absolutely love it. And I am a huge fan of the Brat Pack movies of the 80s. This is the second best Brat Pack movie. (The first best is The Breakfast Club). I really liked how the movie portrayed the relationship between seven college friends who have just graduated and are trying to get on with their lives. Kirby Keger (Emilio Estevez) is a lawyer-in-training who becomes obsessed with an older woman (Andie MacDowell) who is a doctor; Billy Hicks (Rob Lowe) is a father and a husband who can't keep a job and is somewhat of a sex addict; Kevin Dolenz (Andrew McCarthy) is a writer who is secretly in love with one of his best friends; Alec Newbary (Judd Nelson) is a political figure who is also somewhat of a sex addict and tries everything he can to get his girlfriend to marry him; Leslie Hunter (Ally Sheedy) is Alec's girlfriend and is the object of Kevin's affection; Jules Jacoby (Demi Moore) is a cocaine addict who also can't keep a job and lives life in the fast lane; and finally there's Wendy Beamish (Mare Winningham) who is a sweet, down to earth virgin who is in love with Billy. I thought all the actors played their characters to perfection and I also loved how the director didn't focus too much on just one character. Each character had plenty of screen time. This movie is very poignant and it makes you think about your friends and how you should stick together with them and help them out whenever it's possible. This is definitely one of the best movies to come out of the 80s. It shouldn't be missed, especially if you're a Brat Pack fan. Thanks for reading my review.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The greates Christmas movie ever made
26 November 2003
"A Christmas Story" is by far the greatest Christmas movie ever made. It has such a great story line and it's a wonderful movie for kids to watch. I absolutely love this movie. It's always a delight to watch. Peter Billingsley played the part of Ralphie to perfection. And he was so cute! I loved watching him on screen. One of my favorite things about this movie was the dad's (Darren McGavin) obsession with the leg lamp. That was hilarious! And his reaction when it gets broken is unforgettable. He blamed it on his wife because she was "jealous of it". And the part where Ralphie beats up Flick (I think that's his name) after he's been mean to him for so long is so memorable. You almost can't blame Ralphie because I think we've all been there and felt the way he did! The ending was great. Ralphie finally got his Red Ryder BB gun! This is truly a classic and it shouldn't be missed by any Christmas movie fan. Thanks for reading my review!
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Cast Away (2000)
Great film
25 November 2003
"Cast Away" is a great film! I couldn't believe all the negative comments on this one. I mean, sure it's a slow-paced movie and it has a simple storyline and you know what's gonna happen at the end, but Tom Hanks shines in this! This is one of his best movies. It's right up there with Philadelphia (awesome movie) and Forrest Gump, which are the two movies he won Oscars for. He is such an amazing actor. The plane crash scene is very nerve-racking and it keeps you on the edge of your seat. But I just loved watching the scenes of him alone on that island trying to survive. I thought the fact that all he had to talk to was a volleyball named Wilson was very creative. Some scenes made me cringe, like when he had to knock that tooth out of his mouth with a skate and a rock. Ouch! I also cringed at the parts where he cut his leg on the coral and his feet on the sharp rocks in the water. Thank God there weren't any sharks around! This movie makes you think. What WOULD you do if you were stranded on a deserted island all by yourself? This film was also very sad. He loved Helen Hunt so much and he kept her picture all those years. Then he finds out she's married to HIS doctor and they've got a child after he's rescued. The scene where he lost Wilson was also kind of sad. That was his only friend for four years! The transformations that Tom had to go through to make this movie were also amazing. He truly is one of the best actors out there. This is one of the greatest movies ever made and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I am so glad I own it on DVD now. Thanks for reading my review.
Jim Carrey's funniest film
25 November 2003
I absolutely love this movie. I have loved it ever since I first saw it the year it came out. I think this is his funniest film to date. I mean, the films he has made lately are funny, but this one just makes me laugh all the way through, whereas the latest films have not. This movie and "Dumb and Dumber" are Jim Carrey's two funniest films. This is one of my favorite movies. I literally know every word that comes out of Jim's mouth in this movie. I know this movie by heart. There are so many memorable lines and scenes in this movie. I also liked Courtney Cox in her pre-Friends days. Sean Young was great as Lt. Einhorn/Ray Finkle. The scene where Jim is stripping her down trying to prove to everyone that she is a man is classic. "She's not Lois Einhorn! She's Ray Finkle! She's a man!" I love this movie so much and it is definitely a classc. This is humor at it's best. The sequel was funny, but not as funny as this one. Ace Ventura : Pet Detective rules! Thanks for reading my review.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Money Pit (1986)
This movie is hilarious!
25 November 2003
"The Money Pit" is definitely one of the greatest comedies to come out of the 80s. It makes me laugh so hard every time I watch it. Shelley Long and Tom Hanks play a yuppie couple who think they have found the house of their dreams but once they move in they realize that the house is not what it has cracked up to be. It's a trainwreck! The stairs fall apart, the roof leaks, the electricity burns out, the porcelain bathtub falls through the floor and is smashed to pieces, the shelves in the closet fall apart, and a whole bunch of other stuff happens that they hadn't planned on happening. I absolutely love this movie. One of my favorite scenes is where the bathtub falls and Shelley and Tom are standing there looking at it in disbelief. And then all of a sudden Tom starts laughing his head off. The way he is laughing is unforgettable. The scene where the couple are arguing after he thinks she slept with the Max is also one of my favorites.

"You're so much less attractive when I'm sober." "Thank God it's not that often." "Alright! That's it! I'm leaving!" This is a great comedy and it shouldn't be missed by any fans of this genre. Thanks for reading my review.
Aliens (1986)
This movie is great!
25 November 2003
I was a little reluctant about watching "Aliens" when I rented it because I'm not really a fan of movies of this genre. But I did watch it and I was hooked! This is the greatest "monster" movie ever made! It was a little creepy, but not scary. I loved all the characters, especially Pvt. Hudson. Bill Paxton is great. Everyone had some great lines to utter. But I did think that many of the marines died too early on in the film. Sigourney Weaver is such a great actress. She ruled as the tough as nails Ripley. The bond between her and Newt was sweet and very charming to watch. I loved the action in this film. The scenes where everyone was shooting the aliens left and right kept you on the edge of your seat. I think the only character I didn't like was Burke (Paul Reiser). He was a jerk! Whenever Ripley got attacked by that crablike alien that nearly chokes her to death and he turned off the camera when she was crying for help made me want to spit at the TV at him. I hated his character! I'm sorry but I was glad he died. Probably the greatest scene was at the end where Ripley was fighting the Alien Queen. Man has she got some balls! (Ripley that is). "Aliens" is definitely a scifi classic and any fan of this genre should see it. Thanks for reading my review.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The best Christmas movie ever made
25 November 2003
I love "A Christmas Story"! It's the best Christmas movie ever made and it's also the cutest movie ever made. It has a simple storyline and I love the fact that it's told by the little boy's point of view. Peter Billingsley played Ralphie to perfection. He was definitely a great child actor. And he was so cute! There is not a dull scene or moment in this movie. One of my favorite things about this movie was the dad's (Darren McGavin) obsession with the leg lamp. That was hilarious! Probably the most memorable scene was where Ralphie got so fed up with Flick laughing at him and making fun of him that he beat the crap out of him. I think we've all been there! This is such a great movie and it shouldn't be missed by anyone who is a fan of GOOD Christmas movies. It's definitely a classic.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Creepy, disturbing, and could've been better
23 November 2003
When I decided to rent "28 Days Later..." I was skeptical about watching it because I had heard that it was one of the scariest movies ever made. And I am not a fan of scary movies. Well, when it first came on with the scene with the monkeys, I was frightened. Rabid monkeys are not pleasant to watch! And when they attacked that woman and she started spitting out blood and her eyes turned red, I jumped. The scene where the first zombie tries to attack Jim in the church made me jump. But the movie just went downhill after that. I mean, the zombies were scary and people with red eyes always creep me out, and this movie did give me chills, but it wasn't very scary. In fact, I thought this movie was boring. There were so many scenes that damn near put me to sleep. I liked Cillian Murphy's acting but I just didn't like this movie too much. Some scenes just confused me and I didn't know what the hell was going on. I don't regret watching it but I won't watch it again. This movie didn't make any sense to me. I just didn't like it. The only thing scary in this movie was the black zombie that the soldiers had chained up. He gave me chills. But anyways. Thanks for reading my review.
Phone Booth (2002)
Kiefer Sutherland is the real star of this good film
23 November 2003
I thoroughly enjoyed "Phone Booth", even though I don't care too much for Colin Farrell or his acting. It was a great suspense thriller and it had a great plot. But I thought the real star of this film was Kiefer Sutherland. He was a great villain. He has an intriguing voice and I just loved listening to it throughout the film. And it saved me from having to listen to Colin Farrell's fading accent and his profanity. Kiefer added some great black humor to the film and it seemed like he was really angry when Colin didn't obey him. Some of the acting was a little cheesy, like Radha Mitchell as Colin's wife and Katie Holmes as "the other woman." But all in all it was a good film and well worth the price of the rental. I thought the ending could've been a little better but at least we got to see Kiefer. I really like his acting abilities. I don't think this film would've been as good if he hadn't been in it. But it was fun to watch and probably Colin's best role. Thanks for reading my review.
Near Dark (1987)
I Love this movie!!
17 November 2003
This is the BEST vampire flick ever made! I absolutely love it and it is an absolute joy to watch. Especially if you're a Bill Paxton fan, like I am. This is his movie. He steals every scene he's in. He's not really the kind of actor who plays really sadistic characters but he perfected Severen! I really enjoyed the storyline. Good ol' country boy meets a girl from out of town named Mae and he is smitten with her. But unbeknownst to him, she's a vampire. And she's out for blood. And she nips him on the neck. Well, a while later he's picked up by an RV with all the windows covered in aluminum foil. It's Mae and her "family." He becomes hungry for blood but he doesn't have the heart to kill. So he drinks from Mae and almost kills her. I think that's interesting. And I loved the fact that these vampires don't have fangs and they don't even use the word vampire in this movie! That bar scene is the greatest scene in the whole movie. I absolutely love it! Severen (Paxton) totally stole that scene. He had all the greatest lines and you could just tell that he enjoyed killing. But I think Jesse (Lance Henrikson) was very creepy as the head vampire but he was also great. Loved the part where he coughed up the bullet after Caleb's father shot him. Diamondback (Jenette Goldstein) was fun to watch as a total badass woman who enjoyed killing as well. But Homer (Joshua Miller) got on my nerves so bad! He was irritating! We could've done without his character. But the movie still rocked. I thought the ending was a little bit cheesy, but it didn't keep me from enjoying this awesome movie. I am so glad I own it on VHS! This is definitely one of Bill Paxton's greatest performances. He acted like being a vampire was the most fun he'd ever had. I loved it! Near Dark is definitely a classic and it is not to be missed by fans of this genre! Thanks for reading my review.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This movie was good! - SPOILERS
16 October 2003
"The Italian Job", I thought, was a really good movie. It had great action, car chases (which I love), some pretty good eye candy (Edward Norton and Mark Wahlberg), and not too much violence. I just knew that Edward Norton was gonna be the backstabber during the whole heist sequence because they didn't show him that much and when the crew was standing around talking about what they were gonna do with the money the camera kept shooting back to him. And he wasn't saying that much. The Mini Coopers were so cute! I think they were more the stars of the movie than the actual actors themselves. "The Italian Job" is one of the best heist movies. I loved all the action sequences. Especially with the helicopter scene and the part where Mark Wahlberg and his crew blew Edward's truck underground and Ed was like "What the f--k happened to my truck!" Sorry. I loved that part. His character was really evil. He felt absolutely no remorse for killing Donald Sutherland. I also thought the scene where Mark Wahlberg and the crew confronted Steve (Edward Norton) in the restaurant when he was on his date with Stella (Charlize Theron)was pretty slick. This was a great action movie. It was absolute fun to watch and all the actors knew how they were supposed to star in this movie. This is definitely one I'd like to own. For those of you who like great heist movies, this is one you should see. "The Italian Job" rules!

Edward Norton should stay far away from mustaches!
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Basic (2003)
Great "twist" thriller - SPOILERS
16 October 2003
I didn't think I'd like this movie when I first began to watch it because I'm not really into military movies. But I was surprised by "Basic." All the actors gave great performances and I liked all the unexpected twists this movie unraveled. I didn't know who's story to believe. I started to believe Kendall's story (Giovanni Ribisi) because he told it very well. Then Dunbar told his version and it seemed to make sense. But the story caught me off guard when Vilmer (Harry Connick Jr.) said that Ray Dunbar the black guy (Taye Diggs) and the white guy who was supposedly Dunbar was Pike. And I was so convinced that Samuel L. Jackson was dead throughout the movie. But the ending really surprised me. I was pleased with the ending. I was kinda happy that John didn't turn out to be the bad guy. He just doesn't fit the bad guy role. And finding out that Samuel L. was alive! That was f--d up. But this movie had a great story line and some great twists and very entertaining and suspenseful. This is a must-see for anyone who likes murder mysteries with a twist. This is definitely one of John Travolta's best performances and fans of his should praise him for this role. "Basic" is definitely a great thriller.