babyfir77

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Different and Great Episode - Disregard the Low Rating!, 14 March 2015

I just finished this wonderful episode that I felt was worth rating on IMDb. I get to the page and it is rated a shockingly low 5.0 by 10 viewers. Well, what's ten, anyway? It's not thousands, like movies get.

They rate it low for one thing: there is no car race in it.

Why do I give it a 10? Story. Characters. This one is off-beat and if you like the characters of Speed, Sprital and Chim Chim, then you should like this one.

Without giving too much away, an escaped convict enters the life of a young girl Sprital's age. He has a couple secrets. Then he meets Speed and that's when the action occurs. The Mach Five does get used. There are other villains in this show, as well as an appearance by Inspector Detector.

It's an excellent episode despite the low rating. I will write about it because it is worth seeing!

Unappreciated Comedy That I Enjoyed, 5 February 2015

When viewers watch the Twilight Zone, they usually look for a great story and drama. This one is a full-blown comedy that Rod Serling wrote. It took me a few viewings to really enjoy this one, and I do!

Watching a person get what they deserve is a common theme in the Twilight Zone world, and Roscoe gets his. Basically the episode's highlights are the sound effects, from roaring battles to water dripping.

The visual treats, like the vigorous shaking of objects due to the booming sound, are wonderfully funny.

Roscoe is ridiculed by his employees and his wife. His priorities are his military recordings and his business, and his wife is not one of them.

I have notated the IMDb ratings for Twilight Zone a couple times and both times Sounds and Silences finished second to the bottom in fan favorites. Oh well. I don't see how someone would like episodes like Black Leather Jackets over this one. But if you have a decent sense of humor, check this episode out!

A Clockwork Parody That Will Satisfy Clockwork Fans!, 15 November 2014

This review will disregard the opening and closing stories. I love Clockwork Orange (though not a ten for me, strong nine). This parody was brilliant! Using some of the same musical score as the film and just enough tweaks to follow the storyline in the short time to fill a third of a Simpsons' episode.

Moe as the leader, not bad! Great references of the eye clamps and the fast motion action in tune with the William Tell Overture (and the latter is definitely not sexual).

I will submit a notation on the Clockwork Orange IMDb page to lead fans to this clever episode!

Nice reference of Kubrick. I wonder what Malcolm McDowell thinks of this episode?

My Favorite Robin Williams Movie, Even if it is Not a Comedy, 13 August 2014

I just don't tire of this film. On the evening of his announced passing, we watched this film as a tribute to this unique individual. By the way, on the DVD he provides audio commentary. A rarity from him.

Basically the story is about a lonely man who identifies himself with a family and it become an obsession. Strong performances and the music is perfect for this film.

As a former one hour photo worker, I can identify with some of the aspects of his job. Also I worked at Wal Mart and the filmmakers replicated its look pretty well.

I sure wouldn't want a boss like Gary Cole's character! He is subtle and tyrannical!

This movie was even written up in Fangoria back then. Not bad for a non-gory film. Well there was a small scene with blood or a photo chemical......

If you get the DVD, check out the outtakes. There you'll see Williams doing his shtick, sort of showing the comic side of One Hour Photo. It is pretty funny!

Thanks, Robin.

Solid A&C Film!, 13 August 2014

A fun, likable film with a good supporting cast. I have the first volume of the Abbott & Costello collection and I would rank this movie up there with Hold That Ghost as the highlights of the collection.

For Keep 'Em Flying, Bud and Lou are friends of Jinx Roberts, a 1940s version of Tom Cruise's Maverick (Top Gun). He does his flying his own way! Good chemistry between the three. Dick Foran plays Jinx. I remembered him from two Universal Studios Mummy films.

Then there is great supporting characters played Martha Raye, Carol Bruce, and William Gargan. Raye is especially funny playing twins that befuddle our heroes.

I was surprised to find out that Carol Bruce was in Planes, Trains & Automobiles (she plays Joy). I'll have to look for her in it.

A pretty decent storyline, maybe a few too many songs, and a hilarious scene involving a runaway torpedo on land. Check it out!

Great Film!, 22 July 2014

Re-watched this classic from my video library the other night. Still fantastic! Great performances by all of the actors. Very believable and Mr. Jingles, the mouse, rocks!

Of course it is the story that drives the movie, and it is well-written. I usually read Stephen King's works before watching the films, but in this instance, I didn't have interest in the books (!) and just dove into the film, based on the trailer and having Tom Hanks in it.

Percy Wetmore, what a punk!

Tom Hanks and Michael Clarke Duncan deserved their Oscar nominations. Kudos to director Frank Darabont. What a vision! I met him about a decade before he directed this film. Who knew what he would do, though it is a follow up to The Shawshank Redemption. I didn't care for his The Majestic, but I digress.

So if you're in the mood for a great, emotional, character-driven film and don't mind the length (at over three hours, it moves!), check this out!

Classic!, 14 June 2014

I feel for Meg. It seems like the only ones who barely tolerate her are her brothers. In this episode she becomes Peter's new buddy. You know that's not necessarily a good thing!

Meanwhile, Brian has a nasty encounter with an obnoxious skunk. Brian loses and the family suffers, as well as their entire living room!! The remedy is to Brian in the yard until the smell dissipates. Brian cries that he's "an inside dog," but Lois ignores his pleas.

So Brian learns to be a survivalist, even though he's just in the yard, not like he's out in the wild. It is an amusing sequence.

To keep the bad taste the series is known for, there is a sly reference to Andrea Yates, the mother who drowned her five children. Sick, but you know no topic is safe from the writers!

One of Family Guy's best shows. Check it out!

Balancing Comedy With Hints of Child Molestation, 10 June 2014

This was a very interesting and well-acted story. Part two carefully walks along the tightrope of comedy and strong seriousness.

Very believable acting by Gordon Jump (famous for WKRP in Cincinnati), Gary Coleman, and Shavar Ross (whom I recall from the fifth Friday the 13th movie).

Plenty for Conrad Bain, Dana Plato and Todd Bridges to do within the episode, but the whole show here centers around Jump and the boys.

It's scary for the audience because we know how bad the situation can possibly get, but the writing is well done and the conclusions are believable. I caught it on YouTube recently. Check it out!

Awful - Fails as a Comedy and a Western, 3 July 2013

This episode has never been one of my favorites. In my most recent re-assessment, it went down even further.

Plot: A Dr. Smith-lookalike named Zeno, fugitive from law, has switched places with our Dr. Smith. Smith must exonerate his own name with the help of Will, while the Robinsons have to survive the encounter with Zeno/Smith.

Along with many season two episodes, this story is full of sophomoric humor. But I did not find the humor here as funny as other episodes. The Western moments are so so. The cheap-looking sets.....and basically the story.

I scribbled down four segments that really bothered me. 1) The Robot refuses to defend himself against Zeno. He can fight Satyrcons, a Robotoid, but won't stand up to a pushy Zeno.....wuss!

2) This was probably an error in the dialog. In the sequence in which Smith and Will leave the saloon, Will calls the fake Zeno "Dr. Smith." Yet in a few minutes when they are riding the Space Enforcer's ship back to their planet, Will said he couldn't tell if the fake Zeno was Dr. Smith or Zeno! What changed his mind?

3) Back to the Robot. He wasn't warned, but he chose not to confide in any of the Robinsons that Zeno was pretending to be Zeno. The Robot was putting the Robinsons in danger. No "Warning, warning" from the Bubble Headed Booby.

4) When both Zeno (dressed as Smith) and the fake Zeno are together, none of the Robinsons could tell them apart! Even with the fake Zeno talking like and acting like Dr. Smith. Because Zeno said he had hurt his head, making him act different (like carrying a gun, threatening Don), the Robinsons are nice and naive enough to believe his story. At least when the fake Zeno went for the lunch, Don figured it out.

One of the worst. I'm glad to see Allan Melvin (the stupid Space Enforcer....who said I know Zeno's voice anywhere and Zeno and Smith's voices are not even close!). But in a horrible show.....

I May Be the Only Hater of The Inheritors! Fine, then!, 22 May 2013

I have re-watched this so-called classic episode over the years. I just re-ranked this from my previous rating of 6. For me, it is even worse than Children of Spider County.

Granted, I did like the conclusion of part 2, which the men reveal why they were doing their mysterious work. But mainly there are reasons why I hate The Inheritors: 1) The story. Uninteresting and dull. I've seen better mysteries and just better TOL episodes. The story is the backbone of each episode and this one is non-engaging. I am the only one who apparently feels this way. To date I am the only one to give it a 1 and it is ranked 8.4 by the spoiler's and is number two all-time for TOL (My God!).

2) Robert Duvall. Okay maybe I'm biased, but I never cared for him. Disliked his earlier episode The Chameleon, also. I do not like practically anything Duvall's done or been in, including the overrated Godfather. The only show I did like was The Twilight Zone episode called Miniature. Again, the story rose above his appearance but he was credible in it. The Inheritors, even without Duvall, would still be awful to me. But his appearance did not help! 3) No monsters. Well, there can be no monsters, even though that was the selling point of The Outer Limits. I loved The Human Factor and it didn't really he a monster (well, Major Brothers!). But I guess a monster would have ruined the realism of the storyline.

I may watch this wretched episode one more time.....when I purchase the DVD set... Then that's it!!!!! A fine conclusion for part 2 doesn't make up for the sleep-fest of part 1!

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]