adevlin-1

Halloween (2007)
Hack-o-ween, a terrifying experience, 31 August 2007

I have always been a big fan of the Halloween series. I've seen every one, and even though some of the sequels are cheesy, I thought it was still a good watch. When I found out that Rob Zombie, supposedly one of the best new horror directors was making the next film, I was actually pretty psyched because I thought it may revive the series. But let me tell you. This is the not only the worst Halloween movie, this is in my top ten bottom movies. Rob Zombie completely misses the point of Michael Myers. Not knowing what makes him tick IS WHAT MAKES HIM SCARY! The original Halloween is frightening because the child Michael myers has NO REASON to kill his sister, he just does and never speaks another word. He's evil by nature, not by nurture. This plot line makes it seem more horrifying because its not personal, and the audience feels like it could happen to THEM! When I watch a horror movie, I don't want to see how the killer had a hard life, and really could of been a good guy. Why would a director make an audience sympathize with a serial killer? I can only see that succeeding in a dark comedy, but in a horror movie it just does not work.

Another problem with this movie is the gore. Gore can work in certain scenarios, but when you uses it excessively in a movie there are few cases when it makes the movie scary. In this "reimagining" not only are there unnecessary character deaths that destroy any sort of realism, but there is no creativity in the death scenes. Every time a girl got killed she was in the process of having sex or just finished having sex. By the third time you see a couple get murdered, I was like "Alright we get it, they're crazzzy teenagers having sex and they're gonna get killed!" I mean I know it's never been done before but it got to be old the third time. At some points I wondered if it was actually a snuff film.

The dialogue was some of the weakest I've ever heard, even for cheesy slasher films. And the sad part was, this film was trying so hard to be serious that it was hard to ignore. I know the dialogue in other Halloween's is rough but for a film that had so much hype, and was supposed to "reinvent" a legend, I'd expect a little more than immature lines about sex that are awkwardly delivered. I am a teenager and I know teenagers talk about sex, but nothing like that. This film had some of the weakest writing I have ever seen.

There are some good performances, particularly by Malcolm McDowell, who plays Dr. Loomis, but his part is profoundly damaged by the script, so even he looks foolish in the film. Brad Dourif also was good, but didn't have a lot of screen time. Other than that there were some good cameos(Danny Trejo, Ken Foree) but they're barely in it. Unfortunately, Rob Zombie confuses Michael myers with Jason and makes an 11 year old normally sized boy into a 26 year old 7 foot monster. Conveniently he gains amazing physical prowess staying in a mental hospital.

Avoid this movie at all costs. I actually paid my friend a couple dollars to stay to the end, because it was that bad. I was hoping it would get better it but it did not. I mean I tried to like this movie, but it was just so terrible. The movie wastes so much time trying to develop Michael myers, that it barely develops the victims that he stalks. You just don't care about the teenagers he kills because you barely know them when he catches up with them. It's basically a movie about a killer killing random people. Seriously, just rent the original and watch it again, it's cheaper and even if you've seen it a thousand times its better than this. Rob Zombie is a terrible writer, and a terrible director who likes to show off his wife. (Who's a stripper in this movie of course). He is a hack and is only acclaimed because some people think excessive violence is cool. I doubt there's many people scared by his techniques. I'm just trying to forget this movie ever existed, and no matter what anybody says, I plan to never see another rob zombie film again. I think the fact that Saw IV is premiering in October, and Halloween is coming out in August really should tell you how bad it is alone. Trust me though, even die hard Halloween fans, this is not worth a watch.

Gigli (2003)
BRAVO!, 30 December 2003

This is by far the best piece of film making i have ever seen. This tops films like the godfather and Shawshank Redemption. Martin Brest is at his top game in this film, and the chemistry between J'lo and Ben Affleck is to die for. I'm really surprised it is on the bottom 100, because I am sure this will be nominated for, and win many academy awards. The only movie that could top this fine piece of art would be if Jesus himself were to star in his own film, but still it would be a close call. Ben Affleck is obviously the new star in hollywood, and J'lo is on the up and coming. SEE THIS MOVIE