matukonyc1

Complete Turkey, 5 August 2007

I can only imagine that the rave reviews here are solely due to fanatic adoration of Michael J. Fox. This is the worst sort of movie-making, no better than than the worst amateur effort. It's embarrassing to think that Fox had to do this sort of thing, and that in the 80's-90's Hollywood failed him and us so miserably.

It's dull, poorly conceived, and poorly executed. Miscast, misguided and miscarried. Bad writing, no story, no production values, no plot. It's not even about anything, much less what it aims to be about: show business. Hands down, it's the worst movie Fox ever made, and that's saying a lot, because most of his movies were unworthy and unforgiving of a great talent.

Life, 16 June 2007

This series used the "mobster" genre to explore life. Life with its difficult choices, lies, and reality. How can you end a life? When life ends, the lights go out, and for all of us who felt Tony Soprano as alive, it just had to end. What happens? What happened was that we no longer have access to Tony Soprano's life. It's over, it's sad, and even if he lives on, our relationship with him in real time is over, finis.

Whatever you believe after life, or life after death, the fact is that relationships end. Our collective relationship with these people is over. It's not Al Pacino, it's Tony Soprano, and that's an amazing achievement.

Ask BBC America to release FRRP on DVD!, 25 April 2007

Let's try to get the BBC to release Reggie on American format DVD!! Apparently, BBC America is responsible for all commercial content in the States, and I was given the following information by BBC in the UK.

Write or call:

BBC Worldwide Americas 747 3rd Avenue 6th floor NY, NY 10017 USA Tel: 001 212 705 9300 Fax: 001 212 888 0576

It's available in the UK, I just think they don't realize what a fan base there is here in the US. I just re-read both "The Fall and Rise of" and "The Return of" for the hundredth time, but I'd give anything to own the series.

Cinemascope Shlock, 24 October 2005

Richard Egan gives a wooden performance as Leonidas in an alliance with a scenery-chewing Ralph Richardson (billed here as "SIR Ralph Richardson," no doubt to add an air of legitimacy this poorly-executed costume drama.

You know how sometimes even bad movies in this genre are fun to watch? Well, I found "The 300 Spartans" to be a snooze-fest, from beginning to end. It would have been excellent "MST3K" fodder; making fun of it out loud was the only thing that kept me awake.

I can only think that the reviewers here who love it actually like the story more than the movie, because frankly, even as someone who read Ancient Greek I could find nothing in the movie with which to amuse myself.

If you like swords and sandals, rent "The Long Ships," which at least has professional actors in it!

Only Fair Film Noir, 10 October 2005

Any Burt Lancaster movie is worth two hours of one's life, but in general this Universal picture is a disappointment. Lancaster is Lancastrian, but DeCarlo and Duryea are rather wooden, and they all suffer from a boring plot and the B-picture production values all too common in Universal features of the era.

Highlights include the feature film debut of young Tony Curtis, a blink-or-you'll-miss-it cameo by Raymond Burr, a fantastic Miklos Rozsa score, and a nice sinister turn by character actor Percy Helton as the bartender. Movie buffs will remember Helton in the most memorable uncredited role in movie history, namely, "Sweetface" in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid."

The Gold Standard of 70's Sitcoms, 3 August 2005

"The Bob Newhart Show" is possibly the most brilliant of the "adult sitcoms" of the early 1970's. Along with "The Odd Couple" and "Mary Tyler Moore", this show exhibits a subtle, mature humor that has all but disappeared from television today. Great actors make this show with a simple "situation" -- adults working, talking, eating, and going to bed -- hilarious and reflective. Bob Newhart's unique comedic style finds a perfect outlet in "The Bob Newhart Show." For the uninitiated, it might be compared to "Seinfeld" in that it is a "show about nothing" that derives humor from the interactions between people and not "jokes."

Entertaining Espionage, 17 June 2004

Jimmy Cagney is like a firecracker in this movie, set in pre-WWII Japan. In some ways it's a cross between Casablanca and The Maltese Falcon and sometimes it's silly (e.g., white actors in Japanese makeup), but it's one of the most entertaining movies of its era. It reminds you how much of a talent James Cagney was - he carries the picture. There are also excellent character performances by Wallace Ford and Porter Hall. Even Sylvia Sidney as an unconvincing half-Chinese vixen has some good moments.

Beware of the DVD, however - the audio is mixed so badly that at times you'll have to put your ear up against the TV to hear the dialogue.