thommy741

Has a good start but looses itself during the progress, 5 July 2014

So "Attack on titan" has been recommended by a friend of mine who has great taste for TV series and naturally I have given it a try. I really loved how the first scenes set the tone for a more "mature" and less chlichéed picture of women I so came to hate about anime (you know .. those animes in which women have so unrealistic huge breats it hurts and they always wear awfully short stuff to show every viewer how desperately lonely the creator of the manga must have felt). The pacing felt right at first and it sure knows how to make you feel excited for some twist which reveals what happened, where the titans come from and so on. Sadly like 6 episodes in you start to realize that while an episode is 24 minutes long roughly 18 of those are wasted on flat emotional melodramtic talking I start to feel Japanese are addicted to. To make things even worse they started adding some unlikeable characters that are not just "unlikeable" for the audience in a clever way but are designed to be unlikeable in a shameful way (yeah, we get it, rich people try to save their goods and sacrifice every normal citizen who comes in their way, the church is evil and there always is a commander who is like insane and needs a psychiatrist right now bla bla). Despite all of those flaws (and I admit that I'm really judging this series a little hard) "Attack on Titan" looks really good and has a imo catching opening music which features the opening line in my own language (german) ... sadly Japanese are no pronouncing experts and so I never got it until I looked it up on the internet ;-P

Surpassed my expectations, 9 June 2014

If you plan on watching a X-Men movie you expect some cool and latest-technology special effects, some great combat scenes in which mutants with crazy powers use whatever ability they're feeling like and of course some cold-blooded drama that sometimes is based on some real issues society faces (more often the movies ask "How society treats minorities"). X-Men "Days of Future Past" has it all .... and so much more! Almost every line spoken is excellent and deeply important and the team of actresses and actors is absolutely stunning. I can't remember the last time I've seen a movie in which every actor/actress does their absolute best to achieve entertainment on such heights. If I'd want to find a fault in this movie it'd just be how the ending is so big of a plot-twist (which can be foreseen right from the start) that it greatly influences every single X-Men movie you have seen so far. If you like X-Men, you'll love "Days of Future Past".

If you find medicine interesting you go with House or Scrubs, 28 April 2014

So here's the deal: While I know that the main gripe some people tend to have with this series is the formula that never seems to change (wrong diagnosis over and over until House saves the day) I never actually got bored. Luckily for the viewer there is so much going on in each episode and most of it really made me have a great time. I laugh at some of House's clever schemes and even cry sometimes (most of the time because of some drama-plot-twist or because someone of the main cast "dies" on screen). If you want a more comedic approach to medicine check out Scrubs which is hilarious and - thanks god - doesn't rely on background-laughter. If you want to learn some more about exotic diseases and feel "clever" (which you'll do since you kinda feel like part of the team getting all the inside information) you go with House (wath Scrubs anyways!). I'm often stunned at how far this show has come until it finally ended (with a really worthy final) and I'm happy I stayed with House 'till the end (I'm on my second run 3-4 years after I've watched the first episode for the first time).

If you hate doctors and medicine, this show won't change your opinion (it may even make things worse). But IF this kind of hospital drama is your thing, you will not find a better series out there.

Carnage (2011)
Best human behavior study that could be reconstructed with less than 50 bucks :D, 13 March 2014

When someone told me what this movie is about I didn't believe him. Of course it used to be a play and therefor the variety of sets can be counted with less than a hand but "Carnage" takes it to the extreme showing just one living room for most of the time. But while you sit there, watching like the first half and feeling "uncomfortable" you suddenly begin to realize how this will eventually turn out.

Watch this movie like this: What would happen if adults would start to say their mind about more or less anything that comes to their minds be it false assumptions, people they want to protect or ideals they try to hold up high. Oh and while you see the first line of their false courtesy crumble, get your popcorn out, this truly is one of Jodie Fosters better emotional roles ;)

Patrick Jane - madman, psychologist, genius, 2 October 2013

I watched this show since it first came out years ago and plot wise not much has changed. The main premise may gets altered along the way a little but like any television show over the last decades that tried to be successful, The Mentalist is the best example on how to keep their viewers excited although the main plot never ever gets wrapped up more than a few feet at a time. This would be a catastrophe, lame and boring if the main plot would interfere with the normal episodes which (fortunately) it doesn't. Janes normal schedule consists of solving crimes in mostly unexpected ways which makes this series really fun to watch.

What is everyone so convinced about?!, 21 September 2013

I watched this movie yesterday and it started like any other horror movie in recent years "after a true story", in an old house, unfortunate family and so on. I liked the camera, the angles and the acting of the younger crew but the script wasn't just boring, it was "ordinary". There was absolutely no way you couldn't count down to 3 and expect some shock moment. If I'd have to be honest I wouldn't have dragged all my friends to come see this movie with me. Worst of all, the underlying Christian propaganda message was so obviously strong that I couldn't help but chuckle a little bit. Overall this movie was pretty forgettable .... really sad.

This movie represents everything that is wrong in modern media, 14 September 2013

I at least give this movie credit for trying and of course producer want money so there is nothing wrong in giving the viewers what they crave for: Really cheesy love-stories, arrogant bad-boys and girls that behave like they can't decide whether they wanna be rude or just girlish. And that's the core: Most of the people in this movie are just RUDE. If you laugh at the opening vomit-scene there is no doubt you will love the rest of this movie but gosh was that scene in bad taste!

Worst part is: The sining is not half-bad! It's the dialogue that drags it down and these chliché group of teenagers whose try desperately to be "special" (which is good) and then fall in the same trap most other modern teenage movies like StepUp3D do.

After so many anabolic-muscles and girlish overacting girls it's just black magic to me that no one seems to question this film's message.

RED 2 (2013)
Guns, guns everywhere ...., 10 September 2013

So everyone who has seen RED knows exactly what to expect. Awesome line-up of our favorite granddads and grandma going right at their target destroying everything in their path. And while RED's obsession with guns already reached a comedic level, RED2 is inexcusable excessive. There's absolute no wonder that Americans will love a movie with a message like "guns are sexy" and while some of the action-scenes are really good and the main characters are likable as always, this somehow caught me off guard. In this movie there is no punishment for violence whatsoever which is really really bad. Good script and idea, wrong message. Ah yea and the humor isn't all that good compared to the first one.

An experience well worth your time and patience, 6 July 2013

OK so here we've got Brotherhood, the more manga-related Fullmetal series. I've watched the original series before which I really liked but then again forgot quickly as the plot (especially in the end) became confused and just not satisfying enough. After I've heard numerous people telling how good Brotherhood is, I gave it a try and omg! What a blast! You recognize events from the other series but not just do events make much more sense this time around, everything runs on greater scale and is way better executed (don't be confused: The original series isn't based on the manga during most of its events which means Brotherhood has an entirely different story!). During a series that has like 10 more episodes than "Fullmetal Alchemist", there is a story much deeper but also way more fast-paced - in a good way. Many more fights, a little better graphics and yea, as I said before: Really good story this time around. I consider this to be my all-time-favorite anime besides Death Note (season 1) which is all the way different meaning those two animes don't struggle for no. 1 but easily share this title. Glad I've watched this show after watching the original one.

My favorite movie for a reason, 28 May 2013

People tend to react really hyped when it comes to movies they really enjoyed. We leave the movie theater and compare stuff we liked, which impressed us and stuff which we didn't. 7 years have passed since I watched "The Prestige" for the first time and although I must have watched the movie for several times now, I never feel totally "in control" over my emotions. The central question about ethical behavior around which this movie has been built never seems to be as clear or as easy to answer as the ones all the other movies I have watched have presented to me. The Prestige is build like a "magic trick" which consists of three acts itself (genius: The official Trailer tells you more than you could have known). The plot is told from different times and from different angles so that you never really know what is going on till the end. This doesn't necessarily mean that this is good way to tell a story, but Christopher Nolan has perfected this way of telling a plot since Memento. There will be times when you will think that you know exactly what is going on or you know what this movie is about but believe me: You don't. I don't want to spoil anything but if you like any sort of medium that really challenges your mind, you need to do yourself the favor and watch this movie. "ABRACADABRA!"