themkody

Real Steel (2011)
Not enough robot-boxing, too much of the larger-than-life kid, 12 January 2012

When I went to see Real Steel, I really didn't expect that much of a story. Well, Real Steel had a story, for better and for worse. But just a typical Hollywood story, unfortunately. Nothing new at all. The kid was rather annoying, and unbelievable as well. I was simply unable to accept the fact that he had such a large part. This should have been Hugh Jackman's movie, but it felt more like it was the kids movie. Seriously, haven't we seen this kind of story too many times already? Kid reunites with his dad, but hates him at first. Kid gets obsessed with his fathers interests, kid challenges the world, kid tries to get his father back on track, who pretty much acts like an adult baby throughout the film. They argue, they win, they shed some tears, and so on and so forth. And then add robots. Even though Hugh Jackman was mildly amusing at times, the story in whole was rather bland. The whole robot part was great though, I just wanted more of it. Way more. That's what I wanted from a movie called "Real Steel" anyway. Real Steel should just have sticked to what it was best at: a robot film, while keeping the standard Hollywood fare to a minimum. Real Steel could have been great if it had dared to go beyond Hollywood, but it didn't.

Superbad (2007)
Sometimes funny, sometimes cringe-worthy. Superbad is definitely worth your time, just don't expect a laugh riot., 12 January 2012

Bill Hader and Seth Rogen were undoubtedly the funniest thing about the film. You know you're in for a laugh once they're in front of the camera...which is why the movie would have been better off evolving around them instead of the three annoying teens. If you want to see Michael Cera funny, watch him in Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, now that's an amusing role. But in Superbad, he's actually more embarrassing than funny. Even more so is Christopher Mintz-Plasse. Jonah Hill was supposed to be the funniest of the three, which he was, but I just didn't feel the script had much to offer him. They were funny once in awhile, luckily not completely devoid of funny lines, but you know there's something wrong when the supporting roles are way more funnier than the lead roles in a comedy film.

Better than your average teen/comedy movie, but not as funny as people claims it to be, though - Moose finds this film worthy of an 8.

Man escaping into the wild in order to live a primitive life - one of the most honest, touching and beautifully filmed films I have ever seen, 11 January 2012

This was a great film. When a film manages to be both exciting and emotional at the same time, you know it's a success. This is one of those films. You actually care for Emile Hirsch, it's truly a great performance. It was exciting watching what kind of people he ran into, how he interacted with them and the impact they had on him (and the other way around). Every actor in the film did a great job. The soundtrack, recorded by Eddie Vedder (frontman of Pearl Jam) is very smooth and relaxing; perfectly suitable. Probably the best soundtrack for a film, ever.

Moose finds this film worthy of a 10.

Adrealine rush defined, 11 January 2012

What a great film. One of the best action films I've ever seen. Clive Owen kicks major ass, and he's even having fun while doing so! Luckily, so are we. It doesn't try to be anything else. It doesn't try to hide from what it really is: an action/comedy film. Shoot 'Em Up embraces this in every single scene, in every single frame. At times, it is very over-the-top, but in this case, it's definitely a plus! There's not much else to say about this film other than it will probably be the most satisfying action-film you will ever see.

Bold, over the top and simply bad-ass - this is a real keeper if you're a fan of action.

Moose finds this film worthy of a 10.

Dark City (1998)
One of the most unique and refreshing films I have ever seen, 11 January 2012

The story is thought-provoking and leaves you pondering for days. The acting is phenomenal, not a single actor is wasted in the small cast. Those worthy of praise are Kiefer Sutherland (probably his best role to date) and Rufus Sewell (he was great in this, how come nobody has ever seen him since?). The cinematography is some of the best I have ever seen. I'd go as far and say the visual experience was as good as Blade Runner, if not better. It also has a great neo-noir feel to it, which adds to the atmosphere.

Perfectly combining neo-noir, sci-fi and a thought-provoking story, this movie is simply too good to be true - Moose finds this film worthy of a 10.

Not as dark and comic book-ish as it should have been, 11 January 2012

This movie didn't feel a lot like Batman to me. Better than The Dark Knight, a lot better actually. But still not quite Batman. This movie had some good qualities (due to a great director behind the project) such as character study. The performances were nothing to brag about. Bale was actually acceptable in this (unlike TDK), the villains were so-so, the performances were basically average. Nothing groundbreaking, but luckily no cringe-worthy performances either. In the original comics, Batman was supposed to be a great detective, with great villains capable of outsmarting him. in Batman Begins, none of the villains have any real motives, other than committing random acts of terror. If you have dumb villains, the protagonist will most likely adjust to their intelligence, which was the case in Batman Begins. The film was simply devoid of an interesting protagonist, and even more devoid of interesting villains. The action scenes were badly edited, they certainly took away from the enjoyment and made the film look even more like an action film, and even less like Batman. What Batman Begins also lacked was great cinematography and visuals, which was the primary reason this didn't feel like a comic book film at all. Watch Burton's Batman films and you'll see what I mean.

Overall, an okay film, but a disappointing Batman film. I guess this is one of those films where I can understand why people loved it, but I am unable to love it or even like it myself. It just didn't appeal to my taste.

Moose finds this film worthy of an 8.

Watching one of Tarantino's first screenplays come to life was enjoyable, but there's not much else to it, 11 January 2012

True Romance failed to interest me enough. I didn't really care about anyone or anything. It was interesting watching one of Tarantino's very first screenplays come to life, and it was actually pretty good, however it was nowhere near as creative as the other films he wrote. This isn't exactly what Tony Scott does best. While The Last Boy Scout and Beverly Hills Cop II were directed with skill, he fails to fully satisfy with True Romance. I've always wondered how this movie would turn out if Tarantino had directed it instead. He could probably have done it better. But ultimately, the plot is so poor that even if Tarantino would direct it, it would still be a sinking ship.

Christian Slater and Juliette Lewis are pretty good though, but what really saves True Romance is the exceptionally great supporting cast, notably Gary Oldman and Christopher Walken, who deliver top-notch performances. They are, without a doubt, the best thing about this movie, despite their screen time is no longer than 10 minutes combined. Another supporting role worth mentioning is Brad Pitt in a two-minute role. His character is a major influence on stoner comedies later on, and it is this small role that, in my opinion, was the first to define how good his acting abilities actually is.

Overall, True Romance is worth the price of admission, because of the great supporting cast and Tarantino's (occassionally) good writing. - Moose finds this film worthy of an 8.

Entertaining, nothing to write home about though, 11 January 2012

This was an entertaining movie, there's definitely worse ways to spend your afternoon. The film obviously wasn't very expensively made, but with a concept as ridiculous as this, there was no need for it to be more expensive. But what elevates this film from a low-budget average film is the funny performance from the always funny Nick Frost, and the great atmosphere in the film. It was actually really tense at times, I'd never have guessed the atmosphere would be that good. The film knew what kind of film it was right from the start, so if you're 15 minutes in and already feeling like you're wasting your time, there's no need to watch it 'til the end, because the film won't go in a different direction. Definitely worth the watch, but nothing to write home about.

Moose finds this film worthy of an 8.

Rutger Hauer is amazing and entertaining, it truly is his best role in years. But he is let down by a sour script, 11 January 2012

There's some funny grindhouse humor to be found throughout the film, but overall it's disappointing. Most of the violence throughout the film is without humor at all. Without a sharp script to back it up, the whole thing feels pointless. Rutger Hauer turns in an amazing performance, I couldn't imagine anyone else, and he played it to near perfection. He can be very funny and unpredictable, he is the best thing about this movie.

Don't expect Machete like I did, because you will get very disappointed. It's definitely worth the watch, but Tarantino or Rodriguez should have directed this instead.

Moose finds this film worthy of an 8.

Slick and stylish, one of the best films the Coen brothers ever made, 11 January 2012

This is truly a unique film. Pretty much everything works. It is one of those films where not a single character is wasted. All of them played to pitch perfection. Those worthy of praise are Gabriel Byrne in the lead role (as cool as you will ever see him), Steve Buscemi who delivers an amazing performance in a 5-minute roles, and John Turturro who is brilliant as usual. The story is a unique one, multiple viewings are thoroughly recommended. Dialogue's sharp, cinematography's great, and that's pretty much everything you need to know. Now go see it right away.

A slick and stylish gangster film, this is one of the best films the Coen brothers ever made, perhaps better than Goodfellas - Moose finds this film worthy of a 10.