hemril

A very wheel made film, 15 December 2015

I saw the comments saying that this movie is a copy of American Beauty or the Private Life of Walter Mitty. Even if I can see where it is possible to see similarities, I insist this is a whole new movie all together. Many elements are quite original, even though the intention of the movie is to show us how we can see life pass us by and not even be aware that there is something wrong. The movie very clearly asks if a life in a suburb, with commuting to a meaningless job and a life partner who is completely absorb by their work is worth living. To me, this movie goes further than AB or WM because it demonstrate how depressing our world can be. I watched it 6 or 7 times and I still discover hidden messages in some of the images. Denys Arcand is a great director and he has contributed in an important way to helping put Québec cinema on the map. To me, this is an 8.5 so I will give it a 9 on the voting window.

A very good movie ruined by two major casting mistakes, 23 April 2015

If it was just for Julianne Moore, this movie would be rated between 8 and 9 on this forum. The storyline, the progression and the distress are very well illustrated by the lead actress. Moore is one of the best actresses of her generation and she shows it here with a less than supporting cast. But the presence of Kristen Stewart is a blunder. Her delivery is sometimes inaudible as she mumbles her sentences like a spoiled teenager in front of a laptop playing a video game. But I have seen other reviewers say that this was not her worst performance. I will carefully avoid watching anything were she is part of the cast. This means she has no business acting. The only other actresses who are so incapable are Lyndsay Lohan and Shawnee Smith.It is scandalizing to see that such an important script was spoiled by her presence (if we can call it that). The movie is in many ways similar to Regarding Henry (1991) with the difference that the later was properly cast. (It is a mystery to see it rated at 6,7).

Nothing new, nothing original and below average acting, 14 April 2015

My real vote would be 3/10. But in light of the over inflated rating of this movie, I want my vote to counterweight this overrating. If you have been watching science fiction since the 1960's, this film will not present you with any new storyline. Over and over we have seen the doomsday scenario where one must find a new world for humanity. There is no contribution to science fiction in this movie. None. Zip. Nada. And the actors? I am an unconditional fan of Anne H. But here, she seems like she has no material to work with. She did the best she could. But no Oscar performance here. Matthew M., on the other hand, makes all efforts necessary to bore us to death. If I could travel through time and space, I would have skipped this movie and gone straight to the end titles. John L., whom I think is among the best actors of his generation, manages to stand his ground and comes out with his dignity of actor intact. However, a bad movie IS a bad movie and in science fiction this kind of mistake can unfortunately pass for acceptable. If you are a fan of the genre, don't bother. I saw a review on the BB saying this is the best movie ever made. My only suggestion to this poster is to start watching what was done before in SciFi.

A true masterpiece. (spoilers), 15 January 2015

When I saw this movie for the first time, I was pleasantly surprised to see that creativity could be stretched in that direction. Many directors try and aim to pull the strings of our revulsion, but never with this much success. High marks for this film which has also the merit of giving a new dimension to Michael Niman's "Memorial" a modern classical and a masterpiece in its own right. The cast is impeccable, superb, but my only reservation is the very thick French accent of Richard Borhinger. The story is simple: a woman married to the most cruel of men has an affair in her husband's restaurant. Everything is fantastic in this uncompromising movie. I think it is more - way more - pertinent than other movies that were meant to offend any audience (Salo, Caligula, Full Metal Jacket and other works where cruelty meets depravity). Although I think it not for everyone, I highly recommend this movie to movie goers who are able to stomach anything that is thrown at them. It is a 10 for me.

Horrible waste of time., 15 September 2014

Where to begin? First it is another of those home movie story shot by one of the characters, except they spare us the pain of having the full length of the movie shot by an amateur camera-person. Second, aside from the fact that a nephew comes to take over a strip club left to him by his deceased uncle, there is no story. We see lots of boobs, and that is pretty much the selling point of that movie. The word garbage came to mind to qualify this thing, but at least in garbage, there is always something you can salvage or recycle. At 4.3, this movie is grossly overrated. It is in the same league as Paris Hilton's Pledge This.

Forty years after "Love Story", the formula lives on., 13 September 2014

When I see a movie so grossly over rated, it makes me remove some points from my actual score. This is to me a 6. But at 8.2, this movie is way over what it should be. But I understand perfectly why so many people were moved by it. And it what I want to discuss here. ATTENTION SPOILER. When the protagonists go to Amsterdam, as if it was the place where they would find the answer to the ultimate question in their lives, the character played by Wilem Dafoe tells them basically that they are not special because they have a terminal illness, but that they are like all other human being faced with the hand they were dealt by life. I suspect the author of the best selling novel to have used this character to expose this truth which is hard to accept. But with appropriate music and endearing moments, we forget that unpleasant encounter until this character comes back to tell us he lost a loved one to terminal disease. As for the actors, only Shailene Woodley does her job. The sloppy acting that surrounds her is a little irritating.

What a waste of time!, 18 July 2014

When your main actor delivers a bad performance, your movie is in trouble. I know some people may be uncomfortable with the subject of the movie. But it is either because they forgot the time they were that age or to be politically correct. In the case of the young girl portrayed in this film, I was at first wondering if she had real desires for the opposite sex or if she just wanted to be the equal of her friend. The latter seems to be the obvious reason, but it is not clear because the main actress never gives us a concrete sign of the finality of what she is looking for. It is disappointing because the topic is not without interest.

The judges take too much space., 31 May 2014

This show is probably one with the most misused potential I have seen in a long time. Too much attention is focused on the judges. We see them arrive, in their dressing rooms and most annoyingly, too many times during the performances. The editing of this show is what turns me off the most. During spectacular performances, there are too many cut aways from the performers to show us the audience, the judges and the host. Not that there should not be any. But there are way too many cuts from the performers. I have no problem with the choice of acts or the trigger happy judges who buzz just because they don't like the contestant's looks. I think the judges get their time when they make their comments. They don't need more. Too bad, because the British version has the same flaws. I have seen enough.

Even more putrid than Sacha Baron Cohen's Borat, 31 December 2013

Trying to denounce racism, sexism, homophobia and all the bigotry in the world does not justify showing offensive material. To me, the most disturbing part of this movie is when the two clowns deprived of any I.Q. use a hidden camera to offer ordinary, unsuspecting African-American a one-way trip back to Africa, this, in order to ethnically cleanse the USA. This lack of judgment by the director and the producers can be illustrated by asking them if they would have use the same method to denounce gang-rape or lynching. Yes dear IMDb, I am furious after seeing this piece of garbage. But I am reassured by the comments left on this forum. They show that decency still prevails in our world. So thank to you my fellow IMDb friends for your quasi unanimous condemnation of this atrocity.

"Mom" (2013)
Refreshing, 19 November 2013

Once in while, it is good to be reminded that we live in a male centric society. The drinking and womanizing of Charlie Harper was quite acceptable and cute. But try to make a comedy about the realities of life for the women who have been dumped by the Charlie Harpers of this world and you get comments about the values this sitcom is carrying. Isn't that a little hypocritical at best, and plainly sexist at worst? I simply love Anna Faris (I hope she reads this) This lady is talented and able to carry this show with the fabulous Allison Janey. "Mom" is certainly not perfect, but it has the unique quality of portraying something true. It is honest and doesn't try to be anything else. It is refreshing, and in my opinion, deserve an 8.