ben_jm89

Review for History of Cinema, 13 May 2011

This is a difficult movie to review.

The message of the film is quite clear from the get go. A white woman should not be frowned upon for being in a relationship with a black man, and vice versa. that as long as there is a true love connection then it shouldn't matter what ethnicity anyone is.

The acting was phenomenal, at no point did i ever feel as if i was watching anyone act. It all felt quite real. I think thats why the movie sends such a successful message to the world at that time. A message that is still useful even today.

Of course the cinematography was great tool used importantly in portraying the message. there were many incredible close ups of the characters in their most vulnerable states. the skill used in these shots truly helps to feel the struggle and emotion felt by the characters.

Review for History of Cinema, 13 May 2011

i highly enjoyed watching this movie. Jack Nicholson played his character superbly. \

I am still uncertain if i think R.P. McMurphy was actually crazy or not. I kind of think he really was faking it the whole time because life was easier in a mental hospital and so was a chance at escape, which he tried a few times.

I think the point of the movie is to show that mental patients are not totally incompetent and do not need to be forced into a strict routine. You see in the movie that with a little change in routine, a little excitement, even the patients that are most out of it become more alive and personable. still, it is also shown that too much freedom turns to chaos.

This was a great movie with great acting and a powerful message.

Review for History of Cinema, 13 May 2011

This is one of the best plots i have seen in a movie, it is unbelievably original. This was a goofy, strange, and overall odd film.

For a low budget film it was very well done. the lighting, though very simple, was great throughout. there were a few shots that i thought could have been better. In a couple scenes one of the characters faces is blocked by a piece of furniture or a railing. in my opinion it just looked bad. But, for a story about a young murderer whom is always on the wrong side of an accident, the goofy approach fits perfectly. It eases the seriousness of the crimes and plays right into the idea of a blood thirsty, man eating plant. the movie is constantly funny and exciting with the most outrageous characters. Especially, the seemingly evil dentist.

Review for History of Cinema, 11 May 2011

i really enjoyed this Spike Lee film, it was my first by him. SPike Lee touches on the changing scene of Brooklyn, NY. I think that he chose this topic as a means to show how racism is seen everywhere and that when pushed too far all hell can break out. the movie revolves around a BK community in the bed-stuy area, mostly consisting of blacks with a few italians, who present the racial conflict in the movie. with the pressures of an intensely hot summer day the boundaries of racism are pushed to the limit. At one point, in order to stop a young black man from killing the Italian pizza shop owner, cops grabbed the young man and strangled him with a night stick, eventually killing him. I realize this is used as an example of racism being linked with police brutality, but i still think they way it was presented was a bit extreme.

Review for History of Cinema, 11 May 2011

Dial M for Murder is an exciting thriller. HItchcock sends you through many twists that are both thrilling and scary. Right from the start Tony Wendice is aware of his wife's affair with another man. As his planned out perfect murder of his wife goes wrong your left on the edge of your seat waiting for what happens next. I wasn't completely against Tony's actions, as his wife was committing adultery behind his back. But, his actions are extreme and of course Hitchcock knows this and sets it up so that Tony will benefit by gaining all of his wife's money (which is a lot) upon her death. I really liked how Hitchock makes MArk, the man who Margot Wendice is cheating with, a writer of murder novels and at one point practically describes the whole incident, as it happened for real, to Tony, but actually has no idea that Tony is behind it all. This is a wonderfully constructed triller and just an amazing piece by Hitchcock.

Review for History of Cinema, 11 May 2011

as this was the first orson welles movie i was unsure what to expect, i was amazed. first off i think the actors played their roles superbly, especially Orson Welles as Prof. Rankin, his eyes are always so creepy and suspicious. I also think that he combines a dramatic and suspenseful feeling throughout the film. He likes to leave the audience guessing. Not giving much backstory early on and then slipping it in later on thus connecting some confusing aspects to the plot that have already passed. In fact, you don't really find out what Rankin did as a Nazi soldier until at least half way through the film.

I think the film was meant to be a reassurance to Americans that any Nazis who had disguised themselves and gotten into the states was being searched for and punished for war crimes. With this message laying guidelines for the film a great, drama was created.

Review for History of Cinema, 11 May 2011

bonnie and clyde make a great pair. together they are funny, exciting, dramatic, they are great. it seems this film was a turning point for movie criminals. In new Hollywood its okay for the "bad guys" to more or less be the "good guys" at least for the sake of the movie. Clearly, these two bank robbers are on the wrong side of the law, yet they make the audience fall in love with them and are constantly rooting for them to get away. Its hard to say all this when you watch as clyde shoots an innocent bank manager pointblank in the face during a get away, but it was something that had become okay to do in a movie. though, given the opportunity to enjoy watching the criminals succeed in the end the pair still got what they deserved in a brutal killing by machine gun fire in the end.

Easy Rider (1969)
Review for History of Cinema, 11 May 2011

Im sorry to say that i did not enjoy this movie. I thought it was too long and seemed to just drag on as Wyatt and Billy travel across the states encountering different types of people as they go.

Aside from me disliking the movie i think it shows a lot about what life was like for many almost outlaw type people during that time period. the main story, living along side these two bikers as they make travel cross country drinking and smoking and partying whenever they can. you get to see how life is on a commune. the part in the film showing Billy, Wyatt, and the two hookers as they experience a powerful hallucinogen was incredible.

I think overall the film is an attempt at showing how times were changing and how many different groups of people were reacting to the changes.

Was not my favorite but id say it is worth seeing at least once.

Review for History of Cinema, 11 May 2011

I thought this was a very interesting film. the story allows for the new Hollywood style to make a stand, pushing limits that are rarely touched like nudity, a man and a woman in the same bed, even naked together. And then of course an older married woman sleeping with a much younger boy. these happenings were done, i believe, to showcase the potential that future movies have, the lines that can now be crossed and turned into something great.

Furthermore i think the film is trying to show young people a few things about life. showing firsthand the ups and downs of a relationship with an older person. another i think is that one should not rush into marriage at such a young age because, as you see in both Ben and Elaine's faces as they ride away on the bus, they have no idea what to do and how they will do it.

Its a great movie that is funny and smart while teaching valuable lessons.

Review for History of Cinema, 9 April 2011

WOW!!!! Rhoda is seriously the freakiest child i have ever witnessed in a movie; she is a little demon child.

I really enjoyed the actors performances. everyone did a terrific job in creating a very realistic feel to the plot. I was honestly scared for anyone who was around Rhoda alone. I don't know if it was just how parents were during that time, but Christine was an absolute pushover. It was just one aspect of her character that constantly bugged me. Granted Patty McCormack gave Rhoda a persona of pure evil and dominance.

I was totally shocked by Christine's attempt to kill Rhoda, after she had been so unassertive throughout the movie. Of course at first i believed both Rhoda and Christine to be dead, but again i was shocked. not only had Christine not killed herself, but Rhoda had also been saved. This made me think of the code, which does not allow any illegal acts to go unpunished, even if the villain is an eight year old girl. I was not unsatisfied to see that the final scene is of greedy little Rhoda venturing out to the lake to get the medal that, in her mind, was rightfully hers, where she gets what she deserves when she is struck dead by lightning.