b-gallagher2

movie review, 13 May 2011

This movie was excellent. Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid is an epic western. These two badass train/bank thieves strive to disappear from the face of the law, but the law won't let them. This movie was a beautiful work of art. So intelligently made. The movie had excellent cinematography, and the gratuitous violence was so loose, so flexible it had "New Hollywood" written all over it. The movies shot compositions were very creatively explored throughout the film. One of the best scenes is when Butch and Sundance Kid encounter Bolivian Indians who are trying to steal their money, the shootout is epic. Overall I really enjoyed this movie, I also loved the scene where Butch and Sundance's girl ride bikes together with the music playing in the background. It was intimate and so creative. I loved this movie.

movie review, 13 May 2011

This is a good movie. Not one of my favorites, but a respectable film Noir. The Naked Kiss is both eerie, mysterious and intense. Reality in the wrong is how this movie darkly progresses. The movie had pretty good cinematography, excellent lighting and great shots. The actors played extremely difficult roles and played them very well. It's always difficult playing an unimpressionable film noir character. The movie's suspenseful background soundtrack really helps captivate audiences and really adds to the overall mood of the movie. The movie also had lots of very dark emotional feel to it. Through the lighting, the black and white film stock and the suspenseful acting and storyline.

Movie review, 11 May 2011

This is an excellent Film. A movie about an interracial couple who seek acceptance into each others families. This New Hollywood film shows us the fundamentals of racism. The movie was very well shot. It's obvious it used newer camera's and lenses to make it because the movie was very precise, more clear and colorful than older films of that time. The movie also had exceptional shots and cinematography. The acting was also very well done. The movie was very simplistically played out, primarily taking place within a home the entire time, but the arguments, discussions and ideas between both sides were so intense that the movie was naturally very entertaining.

movie review, 4 May 2011

Do the Right Thing is a Spike Lee classic film. This movie was so artistically done from the extremely fascinating cinematography to the dramatic disturbances of racism and story. This movie is really interesting to try and analyze, primarily because were not sure exactly what message Spike Lee is trying to Convey. The movie being in a black neighborhood during the late 80's early 90's you'd think the movie would be all about black racism. However I found Spike Lee to be psychologically reversing it. Instead I as the audience, a white male, felt for the movie. I felt that Lee was conveying an over powering black world that is unwelcoming to any opposite races. Instead of blacks being discriminated against, whites and other ethnicities were. It was a total reverse effect. They wanted "brothers" on the wall in Sal's pizza joint, but didn't really approve of Sal and his Italian son's, because they weren't black. The emotion and anger I felt during the denouement of the movie was as if I was suffering from living in a racist community. This to me was so interesting to feel, the simple fact that black people were sort of the discriminators is such an interesting approach for a movie I thought it was great. I also loved the movie's cinematography. lot's of awesome angles and lot's of interesting subjective shots some that definitely broke the invisibility barrier.

Annie Hall (1977)
movie review, 29 April 2011

This was a great movie. This was a Woody Allen Classic. Annie Hall was so unconventionally entertaining and humorous, like most of Allen's films Annie Hall combined screwball humor with romantic sexual jokes. This movie was amazing. The movie also had a very high end Manhattan artsy like feel to it. The shot composition was very independent like and the acting and overall mood of the movie had Manhattan all over it. It's always funny how an artsy New York Movie can look so different in terms of style compared to a higher budget box office hit, usually shot in California. This movie also had Allen's style written all over it. Classic lack of invisibility. Allen loves to play it out as if he's aware of the camera the entire time, sometimes even narrating to it randomly. In Annie Hall you'll see some examples of this, their is no real definitive line between the films diegesis, in some scenes. He also played out Annie Hall as if he plays himself and his everyday life and a camera is documenting him and his relationship with Annie. It's fascinating actually how unconventional Woody Allen's style is, but it always works. Not to mention the movie had very artsy photography and hilariously absurd humor, like usual I'd expect nothing less coming from Woody Allen. Genius.

Movie review, 25 April 2011

This was a good movie. Bonnie and Clyde is a combination of an intense melodrama, romance drama and gratuitously violent psychological thriller. But being made around a basic melodramatic storyline of good vs. evil, the movie is made through the perspective of the evil, Bonnie and Clyde. The dark part is that the way the movie is played out, we start to relate to Bonnie and Clyde and develop emotional feelings towards them. This is a very dark thing to do, because Bonnie and Clyde were essentially outlaws to society. One thing that really struck me as classic "New Hollywood" was how violent the shoot out scenes were, how visually omniscient and graphic it was to see. This is all something that you could never see during the hays code. I think this movie was really deriving around exploring the mind of Clyde, how messed up he was. He was normal on the outside, but his methods and beliefs were nothing more than abnormal on the inside. Then through his looks and talk he manages to win over a pretty young lady named "Bonnie." After that he assembles his own crew of criminals. This was a very fascinating movie to watch because it was one of the first gritty crime films ever made, where the filmmakers had complete freedom to show it as gratuitous as they wanted.

movie review, 17 April 2011

Great Movie. "The Grapes Of Wrath" was known to be an outstanding novel. John Ford brings us his adaptation of it. This movie was so well done. One technical aspect was how great the photography looked, by cinematographer Gregg Toland, one of the best in the industry at that time period. John Ford gave this movie excellent direction, he conveyed good character development and the movie had movement and progression, both in the storyline, the core meaning and the character relationships. It's a sad movie made in 1940, but taking place in the 30's during the dust bowl, families are forced to migrate west to California in hopes of finding work. With thousands of families migrating, few can be accommodated. For the family of Tom Joad luck was rare. The emotions, mood and feeling that come from the very roundness and progressiveness is what makes this movie so desirable. Also the shot composition and lighting really helped me feel the mood of the story. "The Grapes of Wrath" is a very realistic and sad story of man vs. law and man vs. society. It shows us how the best thing to do is to stick together with your loved ones and you'll get by. This was such and inspiring influential movie.

Easy Rider (1969)
movie review, 14 April 2011

Easy Rider is AMAZING. Starring Dennis Hopper and Peter Fonda, featuring Jack Nicholson. This movie is incredible. Two free spirited hippies from the 60's voyage across the country on motorcycles. They score drugs, girls, booze and money. You can see how this movie could only be made after the hays code. Lazlo Kovacs the cinematographer gave it exceptionally astonishing visual photography. The shots, angles and composition look incredible. Especially in the scenes when Hopper and Fonda are followed as they ride their motorcycles off into the sunset somewhere in the country. This movie alone has some of the greatest cinematography in the history of film. Also during the scene when Hopper and Fonda drop LSD, the camera subjectively introduces us to a crazy acid trip. This movie also had an amazing soundtrack, Jimi Hendrix and many other bands. In the New Hollywood, they were able to start incorporating contemporary music into movies and with a movie about motorcycling badass hippies, of course the entire movie is going to have such a good soundtrack, especially for that time. But even today as well this music is still well appreciated. But regardless it helps create the mood and feeling of where and what is going on in the picture, Easy Rider.

movie review, 14 April 2011

This was a crazy movie. Jack Nicholson plays the protagonist, a man who ends up in a mental health facility. They believe he's not crazy at all, that he's just doing all this to get out of working a job. But only watching the movie can tell you what happens. All I can say is that it was crazy. As far as technical work goes, the movie had very omniscient and interesting photography. The movie also had a few good subjective shots. But what really made this movie was how round Jack Nicholson's character was. This movie was a combination of a psychological thriller and a horror movie combined. The story progression on top of Nicholson's character just made a crazy dramatic thriller. Also every nurse in the movie was so cold and eerie, especially nurse Ratchet, she was so cold and had such an eerie personality, it just helped build the overall uneasiness of the movie. This was a good movie.

movie review, 13 April 2011

This was a great movie. Ben Braddock played by Dustin Hoffman is a college graduate who ends up getting into a sexual relationship with his mother's friend Mrs. Robinson. This movie was made right after the Hays Code era and for good reason. This movie added to the definition of "New Hollywood" Sexually suggestive themes, partial nudity, swearing and overall morals that said go against the system. The music also had an awesome soundtrack, primarily Simon and Garfunkel. The movie was so well done. The movie was technicolor, shot in 35mm panavision. The cinematography was amazing. The movie had incredibly unconventional angles and even some shots were the camera would remain stationary and people would walk off and all you can notice is people talking out of the shot. I think after the code, it was a breath of fresh air for collaborating filmmakers, because so many films were made that would have never been approved anywhere before 1967.