habren

Entertaining but no masterpiece, 18 August 2016

I've enjoyed watching season 1. Especially it's sense of humour and the attention to women's issues. But at times the probably intended shallow nature of the show gets old.

Of course Jamie Lee Curtis is a pleasure to watch, but I wouldn't have expected anything less of her. She simply proves once again she's one of the best actresses of this time.

I just want to add to other reviews that to me, the star of this show was Niecy Nash. I always believed her outlandish character and she was absolutely hilarious.

She has a new fan! I'm delighted to hear she will be back in season 2.

Night Run (2006)
Mediocre, 2 July 2011

Usually I like Dutch movies, but this one not so much. I like the concept of a real event poured into a dramatized film. The start of the taxi war was described nicely and I liked the way the brothers and the other taxi drivers were portrayed, quite realistic although a bit stereotypical.

I didn't understand however why the loan shark thugs approached him in a similar fashion three times. I got the point the first time. And there was a mob trashing a car in a similar fashion twice.

The subplot was unnecessary and made me dislike the lead character even more after due to his fault his brother ended up in the hospital while he was banging his wife. Besides that, the lead character was way too ugly to believe a woman that beautiful would have an affair with him.

Excellent convincing plot, great acting, 15 January 2011

For me, what defines the quality of a sci-fi TV show episode, is the feasibility of the scientific oddity presented, the story of the characters surrounding it and the acting qualities of the actors.

Being pregnant myself, every TV show I watch seems to be about pregnancy. I loved this episode.

SPOILERS: The idea of enhancing genetic material in unborn children doesn't seem that far away at all. Neither does the controversy about this meddling with nature, in this episode being portrayed as the procedure being illegal. Also the argument that makes the father-to-be agree to do it, as in his child having to compete with others who did choose to do this, was convincing to me.

The troubled relationship with the neighbors and finally the reason why as the big mystery in this episode left me on the edge of my seat. I liked the way the ending is left open.

This episode was entertaining from start to end for me.

Not enough credibility, 15 January 2011

This episode lacked too much credibility to me. Although the actors did a great job (nice to see Heather Graham here), the plot just didn't work for me.

SPOILERS: A world where humans are extinct is not impossible to imagine for me. Neither are androids. But androids creating an adult human clone in a huge artificial womb was just too much. The androids not fully being able to express human emotions was the best thing in this story, but this has been done before and therefore it offered me nothing new.

It got much worse when the government drones started pursuing the two 'parent'-androids for supposedly hiding a human being. They started torturing one of them. This did not make sense to me, as just moments before, the father expressed not being able to feel pain or fear.

Then they proceeded into killing him in an absurd and inefficient ritual that didn't make sense for robots that did not feel emotions. Finally the only human was able to shut down the entire grid that fed the androids far too easy.

I have to say this episode was a failure to me.

Good plot, good acting, 15 January 2011

This episode was quite entertaining to me. The plot gradually build up from one 'huh?'-moment to the next. I could sympathize with the main character as in slowly not being able to trust anyone anymore. The story and acting were both quite good.

SPOILERS: I thought the science of the physical abnormalities was well thought of, but the idea of methane-based lifeforms and the need for methane injections were a bit too far fetched, however, the way it was presented was good enough, leaving me hardly questioning the plot. The big alien copy of the main character was not necessary and did have me more skeptical than before, but since that was nearly at the end, I was forgiving at this point. The ending was unexpected and good.

Entertaining, but not special, 15 January 2011

The story about the struggle of divorced parents was understandable and I think the actors did a good job. Especially mom not approving of her sons girlfriend.

The science of the substance in the haunted house was entertaining, but it failed in having the victims remaining alive in some form. However, that did make for some nice special effects. Overall, this episode to me was entertaining, but definitely not the best in this series.

Good but not new plot, good acting, terrible cgi, 3 January 2011

Because each Outer Limits episode is a story on it's own, with new actors, the ending of an episode cannot be predicted using guidelines of other series, like the main characters never get permanently injured or killed. This is refreshing to me compared to other TV shows.

Unfortunately the plot for this episode was far from new, even though it was a good story. The actors did a good job.

At first I had a hard time distinguishing who was affected by the alien goo and who wasn't. I thought the contact with the home world and the paranoia creeping in was especially well done. However, the main characters seemed flat to me. I hardly felt any compassion for them.

I was not impressed by the alien appearance. The graphics were badly rendered, the sounds and movement predictable and unconvincing.

Real characters, good plot, 2 January 2011

I loved this episode. The best I've seen so far. The main characters, named "John" (Patrick) and "Bree" (De Boer), come across as full personalities.

Bree is a trainee fighter pilot that got caught by aliens together with her boss. The episode starts as John is thrown in the same cell with her. She is a very feminine (she actually mentions her period cycles), submissive and scared person, that you would not have imagined as a fighter pilot. As she puts it herself "They've assured me I've got everything it takes to be a fighter pilot". I loved her from the start.

John on the other hand, is a little loud, dominant, very optimistic, masculine and has too much confidence. Together they seem to fit perfectly and the chemistry splashes of the screen. I used to hate Patrick in the X-Files because I thought he was a poor replacement for charismatic Duchovny, but here he's perfect. That blonde hair becomes him and this is the first time I noticed his sexy voice.

The relationship between Bree and John got very intimate, where they would share hopes and fears with each other that I could relate to if I imagined the situation that they were in (SPOILER: virginity, rejection, loss of beauty, suicide). It helped me as viewer to sympathize with them.

Care was placed into the design of the alien lifeforms. Both the creatures that were the food and the creature habituating the ventilation channel looked convincing. I was not too fond of the alien race that had captured them, but since they were not that visible and exposed, and much was left to the viewers imagination, that didn't bother me. Also the dirty water, the orange fungus and the rocks looked likely to me.

The "wait...what?" moment is a little predictable, but still I was surprised how and when it happened and what the reasoning behind it was.

I hope you will enjoy or have enjoyed this episode as much as I did!

Good plot, well played out, 2 January 2011

The excellent plot was well played out by all actors. I liked the idea of dark matter trapping the cargo vessel and the arch of the dead crew of the Slayan to help clarify the plot.

To me the technical explanations did not seem like far out techno babble, but logical explanations for the reason for them being torn out of hyperspace and getting trapped and for the crew of the Slayan to have died.

The live stock alien turtle was well created and the aliens were not excellent but good enough. The personnel disputes about shifts, experience and trust were credible.

I didn't like the idea of the souls of the dead remained on the ship so much, as this was a little too much being already an outer space episode, but it was a good way to explain the plot to the viewer.

Another small point of criticism was the unnecessary and revealing spandex outfits of the kids. If they wore normal clothes the point would have come across.

Not credible, 2 January 2011

This episode started out alright, with the children acting convincing. The scene where the brother and sister talked to each other was good. I could follow the scene where the female detective first suspected the divorced father as well.

But it took a wrong turn when the detective took the child away from her mother and left her at her own mother after the boy was kidnapped.

From that point on, I thought she behaved in a very unprofessional matter and the story lost all credibility to me. It is one thing to have a psychiatrist throw all kinds of unlikely fairy tales into the investigation, but a police investigator should not be convinced so easily.

As in most TV shows the computer search for patterns in weather, tides and moon cycles was unlikely. If they had just shown an internet search engine (e.g. Altavista or Webcrawler), that did exist in 95, it would have been much more convincing.

The final moment of disbelief was in the end in the mine, where after shattering the solidified badly rendered cgi creature, they were about to leave without looking for the girl. If she didn't cry, they would have left without her. After finding her, they didn't bother looking for the boy or other kids.

There were too many flaws in logic for me.