jagaleigh

The 5 ladies return...., 31 May 2008

It's been said over & over that this movie was made for the fans of the SATC series. It has been called a love letter to those of us who fell in love with the story lines, the characters, the city, and of course...the clothes.

This film is, if nothing else, that long-awaited love letter for which we fans have longed. It allows us to continue walking on the path beside the ladies we grew to know, love, and relate to. I must say, though, that the movie doesn't really move us along too much.

Really, it feels a bit like catching up with an old friend after bumping into him/her at a diner. We ask them to sit with us and let us know what's been going on with them, and they fill us in. All in all, it was nice to get a glimpse into that world again.

This film is not without it's flaws/shortcomings, however.

The often quick-handed editing can make you feel a little dizzy, the silliness is heavier than the actual humor at times, and the length of it (while it kind of feels as though it moves quickly) may leave your butt a bit asleep by films' end. Something about this movie just left me feeling more...flat(?)...than I thought I would.

Those issues aside, I was THRILLED to have finally seen this project on the big screen.

I think most people will walk away from the experience feeling glad they viewed the film, as well...though I wonder how many will write reviews echoing my feelings on the editing.

I give it a solid 6.5 out of 10 (only allowed to vote in whole numbers, heh.). It was a little like going home again. You know...you're happy to be there but then again, it's kinda crazy and you get a bit of a headache. (um, yeah.) Not award-worthy, honestly, but warm. There you have it.

No, no, no. Please.....no., 26 April 2004

I hate saying what I am about to say. I adored the first volume and I think QT is one of the best film makers, hands down.

With that said: This movie stunk. It bored me to death for the whole first half. Once The Bride starts her training with Pai Mei...it gets better, I admit. Until that point, though, I was really ready to walk out. In fact, I had BEEN ready to walk out about 20 different times.

I do think this film picks up about half way through. So I can give it that much credit.

My suggestion is to rent it when it comes out, that way you can fast forward through all of the crap and get to some decent scenes.

Sorry, folks. As I said, I love QT and I loved the first installment, but this was mostly lame. :(

Mean Girls (2004)
Very funny, to my surprise., 22 April 2004

We got free passes to see this flick, and I admit I wasn't too sure about going to see it. Yeah, even WITH free passes I thought maybe I wouldn't go.

In the end my curiosity got the better of me. I am really, really glad that it did.

This movie was full of silly stunts and well written verbal attacks. No one was safe, it seemed, from being fully attacked as far as cliques are concerned.

The actors were great, the script was even better, and I spent most of the time laughing my head off. I guess most of the jokes came out of nowhere and sort of shocked me into giggle fits.

Tina Fey has always been good at what she does, and this is no exception. This film is good for belly laughs and light-hearted fun. I say see it! :)

8/10, 20 March 2004

I give this movie an 8 because it scared the crap out of me. I should mention here that I have a special sort of fear for zombie movies. I really don't know why.

I liked it a lot. I do have complaints but they are only based on my "RUN, RUN, DAMN YOU!!!! RUUUUUUUN!" ideas that go through my head during such a movie (in other words, cliche things that have run themselves out.....).

Other than that, it was pretty cool.

I am going to have nightmares. Ugh. If you dig that whole "zombie" movie thing, this is a fun flick to see. If you are like me, though, and see these only to torture yourself with fear.....well, heck, I guess it is still fun. hahaha.

I think horror movie types should see it. Seriously. Good scares, good actors, good makeup, great ending.

Cheers!

Really, really good., 20 March 2004

I just saw this a couple of hours ago and it is quite good.

1. I adore Jim Carrey in this film. 2. Kate Winslet is bound to win something for her role in this film. 3. I was annoyed more than entertained by that Dunst actress and even Elijah Wood. Maybe I was just in a bad mood? haha.

This movie is a MUST see. It makes you question what you would do in a similar situation. It was well written and the scenes, while sometimes strange and confusing, were beautiful. This movie was full of humor, love, and some sadness.

Oh yeah!, 12 November 2003

I don't understand the complaints about this movie. I just don't.

This film had beautiful moments and frightening ideas. Sure, some of these ideas have been "done", but my point is this:

The film makers tried to add in their own spice throughout the film and it made it great. There is eye candy all through it. And haven't most of us wondered what it would be like to wake up....to nothing?

I say see this film. Definately. ENJOY!

Zoolander (2001)
7/10, 1 September 2003

This movie was completely silly and great. I really didn't know if it would even be good in a campy way, but it really was. Ben Stiller is on top of his game throughout the film, and the rest of the cast is just as brilliant (I heart Will Farrell).

I loved all the cameos, I loved the writing, I loved that I rented it. You will be, too. SO GO RENT IT. heh.

Very interesting., 27 August 2003

I am an Austinite but I will leave out all of the detail I could offer about how Huntsville isn't near here.

With that said, this was a darn good movie.

I like Kevin Spacey and I am warming up to Kate Winslet, so to me the cast was good. It took twists and turns that no one could expect and I like that as well. This is really a detective movie more so than a drama, so if you are into that kind of thing you'll like this film as well.

This movie didn't thrill me or make me cry or cause me to feel afraid or anything. It was a basic good story that one would rent when wanting to to entertained but not fulfilled completely. I liked it, mind you, but it wasn't worth bragging about. Know what I mean?

I say rent it. You'll like it and it's worth the money. Enough said.

I hope I forget., 26 August 2003

I adore classic movies, but this one was just stupid. It had the worst cast of actors ever, it was badly written, and most of the time I laughed because I thought it was a joke.

A prosecuting attorney referred to evidence as "circumstantial" while trying to argue that the defendant was guilty. That is only one example of this film's stupidity. The defendants wife was just annoying by the end of the movie.

I'm sorry, I know many folks like this film. I tried to as well but I just couldn't.

Maybe it's just me. *shrugs*

The 'Burbs (1989)
Pretty darn good., 25 August 2003

I had a few laughs during this film, but there could have been some editing done (it ran long for what it was).

I love Tom Hanks, and this movie didn't change that view. I giggled, I was disturbed mildly, I was thrown off a couple of times, and I was glad I saw it.

Don't expect to be blown away, but be ready for 80's movie fun. I dug it. :)