meinong

The most prescient Dragnet Episode ever !!!, 17 August 2014

Joe Friday gives one of his best speeches in the history of Dragnet ! Laying out to suburban druggies that no one becomes a drug addict without first starting out on Mary-Jane - seems all innocent at first but then you wake up one morning and all you can think of is how to get your next fix - not a pretty life.

Kudos to the writer for predicting the gradual legalization of Marijuana.

Once again Dragnet predicts the sad future that America has descended

into and sadly seems determined

to descend even deeper into the abyss.

Dragnet Predicts the Future once Again., 17 August 2014

This episode includes a scene where Friday and Gannon discuss whether some kids are born sour or not. Then they discuss how parents are giving their kids too much - too soon.

All true - all too true.

Once again Dragnet predicts the future of what was to become of the spoiled "Baby Boomers" - and now we understand why today's teenagers are lost to the world.

Why - we as a society paid attention to Sociologists instead of the Police who had to deal with all the day to day problems in real time - not in some long terms study where you never actually meet the people who have taken the wrong turns in life - is beyond me.

Margaret (2011/I)
Tears, Teenage Tears, for Moral Virginity lost, 28 January 2013

I saw "Margaret" on IFC last night so I don't know which version/edit of the film I saw but it was a longish movie.

I think Lisa, the main Character, should have been slapped by someone at sometime during the film - she is the cause of the tragedy in the film and by her refusing to accept it - until the bitter end - she just creates more sorrow for everyone involved - and told if there is any fault is is your's - your selfish/self-importuned actions led to all this misery. In many ways this film is not that different from the movie based on Prozac Nation.

Adolescents can be Intolerable Moralists - they think they are wiser than everyone else and purer in their morality. Why no one stops treating Lisa like a young adult and rather as the child she is - proved a stumbling block for me.

Perhaps that is the point of the film - we are not honest with our children and we encourage them to grow up too fast so that we can be less and less responsible for what they do and think, and they, thinking they are wiser than the adults around them, do whatever their impulses bring them to do, and then they blame anyone but themselves when the world does not turn out to be the way they think it must be and must treat them...

The Teaching of "Lear" and the Reading of the poem "Margaret" plus the teachers being 'Friends" with their students is highly indicative that many "Upper West Side Liberals" think/believe that you can treat teenagers like adults - but wisdom only comes, if ever, with age and humbleness and finally humility - usually after great suffering in life -not something you are likely to find much of in an "Upper West Side High School."

Personally the best scene in the movie was when the male student - during the discussion of "Lear" and the lines: As flies to wanton boys are we to the gods... offers the view that perhaps God, having a Universal View has more wisdom than we mere mortals and as such we should not be so sure that what we humans call evil is as purely evil as we insist in our attempts to avoid accepting our own selfish faults.

So it makes you think - this movie "Margaret" but less of "Lisa" screaming and bursting into tears again and again and again would have helped.

Good Therapy or Good Drugs or a Good Slap or all three, 27 December 2012

This is a difficult film to watch.

Hats off to Ms. Ricci for her performance and to Jessica Lange.

Perhaps because the film concentrates on her first year of College at Harvard the viewer has a difficult time sympathizing with main character - as we are only given a character far too full of herself and far too sure that the entire world is composed only of supporting actors to her Oscar, Emmy and Tony award winning life and desperate to only say brilliant lines all the time.

It would have helped if the film had made us feel how manic/depression can be relentless in driving the person to do or not do what any sane person would do without question - before Ms. Ricci character savages those around her and her life.

I could not decide if Ms. Ricci's character was in need of immediate good therapy or good therapeutic drugs or a Good Slap or a positive combination of all three. I have to admit a Good Slap and a Summer spent doing good hard farm work - which exhausts the body and thus rests the mind - might have done her the best good.

Elegance, Drama and Beauty within a Desert War, 30 September 2012

Unless a Billionaire offers to spend $ 1,000,000,000 to let Paul Thomas Anderson to make an epic - you will never see another film like this again.

Elegantly filmed, an excellent Drama and with Cinematography next to none - this is the Epic of Epics.

I saw L of A when it first came out at one of those theaters that had the curved screens and I was seated in the middle of the front row. I thought I was going to die of thirst from being trapped in the middle of the desert for over 3 hours.

A story of the scope of an Idealist and Courageous young man who paid a terrible price to free the Arabs from the Ottoman Turks only to see France and Britain put their interests ahead of all others at the end of World War I.

Hope in all that is seen and unseen, 1 July 2011

Dear Reader, Answer the following Question - no hedging: Do you believe that our existence is due solely to random events or the mysterious hand of our Creator.

How you answer that question may well preview what you think of Terence Malick's latest film: The Tree of Life.

Does anyone remember how strange life is after we are born ? Two large beings seems to fuss over you and perhaps smaller beings or older larger beings take an enormous amount of interest in you. And no one places any expectations upon you.

Slowly you begin to develop the ability to walk and talk and then you can choose to go where you will and say what you will.

But as this happens you are less and less fussed over and more and more expectations are placed upon you. Suddenly there are "Consequences" for what you choose to do and say - either nature warns you or parents and teachers correct you.

At some point in life you go from just being here to wondering if there is a why behind your being here and purpose to why you are here. Meanwhile you keep having to make choices for which you are increasingly held responsible.

The near Eden of Childhood disappears far quicker than any child could have imagined and we are left in a world where sorrow and joy are interwoven in ways we cannot neither unwind nor avoid.

If we look through a telescope we see what once was and if we look into a mirror we see what is and if we look at our aged parents we see what may well be.

So those who believe in nothing but atoms are surrounded by at best temporal meaningfulness of the most airy kind.

Those who believe that there is a kind and loving but stern hand guiding all that is are left knowing that to forgive and accept forgiveness so that one might love and be loved are the only lessons of childhood that we all needed to learn and the only lessons to be applied if there is an afterlife which all the characters in this magnificent film truly and solely hope for.

Shattered Idealism leads to Razor Sharp Shards of Wisdom, 16 October 2008

In this election year, where so much idealism is attached to one of the candidates, it is poignant to watch a film that warns us not to make an idol out of anyone running for public office.

Luke Eberl is the writer and director of "Choose Connor". There are significant parts of the film that reveal that he is a 'genius' when it comes to telling stories via the cinema.

Go see this movie before the election and then ponder why and for whom you will cast your vote.

Let you eyes be opened like those of the young protagonist.

A mix of "Citizen Kane", "Advise and Consent" and "Paths of Glory" by a young director as talented as those who made the films listed above.

Stop, Look both ways and Listen., 23 October 2007

When I first went to school, I had to cross several streets to get there. We were warned by our First Grade Teacher to: Stop, Look and Listen before we crossed the streets. We were also warned to never run with scissors.

Likewise, in "Running with Scissors" you really have to stop what you are doing - no reading the newspaper, magazine or book - put those all down, no arguing with anyone in the family - just pay attention and Look at the lives of the characters for what they choose to do and for what is chosen to happen to them. Then Listen to how they sing their part in the chorale that is humanity while all the characters not only run but dance with the sharpest scissors in the drawer.

Marvelous acting by Brian Cox and Annette Bening as usual. Joseph Cross is the part he plays.

Excellent directing/writing by Ryan Murphy. Wonderful cinematography by Christopher Baffa and superb editing by Byron Smith. The choice of songs used to express what is beyond expression is as good as I have ever heard/seen in a movie.

Thread by thread a life unravels, 15 May 2007

I saw the last 20 minutes of this film and was deeply moved and when I watched the whole movie I was even more deeply moved.

Sean Penn is beyond excellent in the film and the directing/cinematography/acting/music are all superb.

What do you do with what remains of your life when one part after another begins to unravel and every time you attempt to tie a knot to prevent any further unraveling you find that you have only unraveled more of the few remaining threads you had left to make that new knot ?

If you have never felt defeated by life and if you have never been unemployed and helpless and hopeless with more time on your hands than anyone could know what to do with - this movie may not appeal to you - but if you have been to the depths and driven by thoughts that you don't fully control - this movie captures that drowning darkness.

We may all have Richard Nixon's in our lives - even Richard Nixon had Richard Nixon in his life - some of us seek to assassinate the Nixons in our lives and some of us seek to assassinate our own selves and some us seek to do assassinate both - however, few of us ever succeed and that may well be a profound blessing that few of us ever recognise.

As long as you are lost in the fog of life why not work on your tan, 14 May 2007

I saw the last three minutes of this film at 6:00 in the morning getting ready to go to work.

Keenu Reaves was actually acting and has his best lines since My Own Private Idaho and Parenthood.

The film draws you in and before you know it you care about deeply about a teenager who, on medicine, takes himself more seriously than anyone has a right or ought to.

Maybe we are all a little lost in life and maybe we all need someone to lean on and maybe a little more humbleness would go a lot farther than anything than I or anyone else can think of.

The world is a scary place if you sit down and think about it and if a little thumb sucking helps you get through the night well - why not.