vikram-ry123

A Storm Review : 300: Rise of an Empire (2014), 18 March 2014

Yesterday evening I went to Inox J.P. Nagar, Central Mall, Bangalore to watch 300: Rise of an Empire. I wanted to experience the show in theater. Finally my dream fulfilled quite accidentally. Yesterday 17th of March, it was Holi festival in India. As usual, I left my office at 7:00 P.M. at the evening and reached to the movie hall just before five minutes of the show.

300 : Rise of an Empire is the continuation of the previous film 300, based on the Persian- Greco war. Legendary Spartan King Leonidas and his 300 soldiers into battle against the invading Persian army during the Battle of Thermopylae. According to legend, their valor and sacrifice inspired all of Greece to unite against the Persian foe, leading to the origins of democracy.

Rise of an Empire, is circulated on two major characters, Artemisia I of of Caria and Themistocles of Athens. The film shows Artemisia, a Greek country girl was captured and grown up with ravish torture by Greek navy. Anyways she managed to escape and found by a noble Persian warrior. She learned how to fight in battlefield, and proved her generosity as a Persian woman navy commander. She wanted a revenge against her past hellish life experience with the Greek army. She led at the naval battle of Artemisium and the naval battle of Salamis.

During the battle of Salamis, she died fighting one and one against Themistocles.

On the other side Themistocles of Athens, who is a politician and visionary to build united Greeks. Queen Gorgo was leading Sparta after her husband King Leonidas's glorious death at the Battle of Thermopylae. Nobel by birth, Themistocles managed to convince Queen Gorgo to continue the battle against Xerxes I of Persia, who declared himself the God king. At the naval Battle of Salamis, Themistocles with his leadership ability, united the Greeks. Followed by his command and the Greeks managed to defeat the Persians.

The graphic was highly extraordinary. Slow motion, 3D affects, navy battle scenes at the middle of the sea, and the legendary history emerged new heights in the history of the motion picture. I am not gonna rate the film based on the story and characters, as I think its a highly creative work.

"Berserk" (1997)
Berserk : The Dark Saga, 28 January 2013

Berserk (Manga) is not a new series to me, I read a couple of volumes earlier. The darkness of the subject seemed not an interesting study for me. Once my father became very angry, because he caught me with Berserk volumes, I was 15. The same series I've downloaded last week and watched Season 1, complete 25 episodes. I see, Guts' story was started rather simple and had the quality of an epic. The knowledge beyond the nature, the myths, they exist because we do exist in flesh and blood.

Why it captures my attention?

Berserk has an exceptional balance in the story. Each character has his/her unique qualities and not dominates other. Every single mercenary of the Band of the Hawk are characterized like real characters. Griffith, the anti-hero who is dare ambitious and has the charismatic attitude. He borns not very strong but he has all the qualities of a leader. Guts, the mysterious Black Swordsman, not one of the Hawk's, who is superior in power and achievements, and has no fear in his eyes. He becomes the Commander of the Hawk's who can bring thousand of victories alone in the battlefield better known as the 100 men slayer. The 3rd main character is a women knight, Casca who is a victim of sexual assault in her childhood and desperately chosen her fate to fight. She has purity in her heart and she is completely devoted to Griffith who saves her life several times.

How the story becomes alive?

The story is indeed fantastic, the love triangle between three main characters and the Crimson Behelit, The Egg of the King, that incidentally saves Griffith's life time-after time. Yes it is alive! Things we believe do exist, but supernatural like Zodd the immortal, sometime they too, either in real or in dreams but they do! We all know they do. The same way, the size of human character that is depending on wealth not in our earthly figure!

Griffith's ambition is innocent, at least at the beginning we think so. But the adobe he builds in his mind is erratic, he never forced anyone to join him, except one man, Guts who has changed everything. Griffith's dream reflected in Guts's eyes. Tudor, the most powerful neighbouring country of Midland that was unconquerable for centuries was defeated by only 5000 armies of Band of the Hawks. Such impossible becomes possible because of the leadership of Griffith and the strength of Guts. Zodd the supernatural himself appears to the battlefield to see Guts live.

Casca loves Griffith, her love is all about devotion. She knows Griffith is ambitious, and to fulfill his ambition he flirts people. She knows Guts has the power that Griffith lacks. The day Guts defeated Griffith on a duel to prove he is a freeman and not belongs to anybody without his own will, Casca realizes her blind devotion.

Guts felt love for one woman in the earth, Casca. He dislikes festival, dance, highborn court women, amusement, and lights. He enjoys silent moon at night. An iron hearted man without feelings. In a flashback we see how he learns to live life. A group of mercenaries found a newly born from the corpse of his dead mother. The wife of Gambino, a mercenary, adopts Guts. Years later she died, leaving Gambino to raise Guts. Guts learned to fight alongside the mercenaries even though he is just a child and his sword is as big as him. Although Guts loves Gambino as a father, Gambino is cruel and harsh on Guts, believing the child brings the curse and blaming Guts for his wife's death. One night Gambino attacks Guts in a rage and Guts accidentally kills him in defense.

Conclusion

All well that ends well, may be here the writer and illustrator, Kentaro Miura tries to make a difference. Berserk is a dark saga. Above I shared the ideal folk tale is aroused by curiosity. At least people like me will love to know up-to that level. Later the same story reminds me of Dante's Inferno is in compare. But it is not that the end, the saga burns everything into the hell. It could be something else, better. It's not about the cruel rape scene, that is common in many sex by force stories. Indeed the darkness is something beyond the bad dreams, cruel, horrific, devastating, that directly played with the feelings and emotion that people afraid of. May be Griffith's rebirth aftermath is concluded without an explanation. The whole thing is judged just rightly wrong in a completely bad manner.

Life of Pi (2012)
"Life of Pi", The meaning of the floating algae island; is God exists?", 5 December 2012

Synopsis:

"Life of Pi" Yann Martel's 2001 best-selling novel, is a magical adventure story of a young boy, Pi Patel, son of Santosh Patel, a zoo owner living in Pondicherry, India. The family decides to move the zoo to Canada, hitching a ride on a huge freighter. After a shipwreck, Pi finds himself adrift in the Pacific Ocean on a 26-foot lifeboat with a zebra, a hyena, an orangutan and a 450-pound Bengal tiger named Richard Parker, all fighting for survival.

Review:

Novel "Life of Pi", and film director Ang Lee's version seems, I never imagine its possible to combine the philosophy into the film screen. The imagination through the novel was fantasy in my opinion when the film version is magically realistic. The use of modern highest resource of 3D technology is a merit of success achieved by the art-direction team, I salute. The film made me speechless even after it ends I was sitting and waiting to watch more and more. I was thinking where the digital entertainment is sailing the boat for the NextGen?

The movie contains good sense of humor regarding the dialogs. In market, Pi was following a girl he saw at the dance class. When she catches Pi and asked why he is following? Pi innocently asked at the dance class she ended two wrists joined loosely cupped hands, what does it mean, he wonders. The girl tells him, the lotus hides in the forest. Pi asked, "Why lotus will hide in the forest?"

At the end when Richard Parker, the Bengal tiger left unceremoniously, Pi says, "All of life is an act of letting go but what hurts the most is not taking a moment to say goodbye."

Is God exists?

The narrator promises at the beginning that he will prove God exists. Well, in Yann Martel's book he did, but in Ang Lee's movie, did he or not? In 2012 film "Life of Pi", you see the floating island of vegetation with its own ecosystem that could be boarded and had animals living on it out in the middle of the ocean. It seems far-fetched, but does anything you notice in the movie?

Pi Patel's confession of faith was regarding Lord Vishnu, the Vedic God who masters the past, present and future, the one who supports, sustains and governs the Universe and originates and develops all elements within. Its called Vishnu sleeps in the ocean of milk with his companions. Did you see very carefully the structure of the floating island? The art-director shaped the island like sleeping Lord Vishnu! I was surprised to see the art work at a glance.

In my opinion the movie is a lifetime experience, so don't miss the movie and as well if you did not read the book then read it too. This is one of the remarkable philosophy of film-art.

Detachment (2011)
Detachment (2012) : A Review!, 20 November 2012

Detachment is an awesome movie directed by Tony Kaye and another finest role by Adrien Brody. The film is based on modern ironic society where young students are the victims of dystopian world to fulfill the goals that is not easy. Achieving everything is nothing, the truth!

It's easy to get spoiled and earn money in a wrong way, but hard to face the truth. In this film there is a lesson that we must try to learn. Bright young souls are getting dark without guidance, motivation, and care. Students are getting frustrated about the outburst society, parents blaming on teachers, teachers blaming on the students, politics is behind! Corruption, power, domination, enchanted like two-faced god! Love is getting very physical. Relationship has no emotion, no feelings. Daily life is getting filled-up with bad slang. Teachers are helpless to educate. Parents are neglecting their own children. This is the present social scenario of advanced educated countries and the future of developing countries.

We are ironically educated to hide the truth. We have eyes to see the right, but we act the blind. Shame on whom? Shame is detaching us from us! This is a film that tries to put some light and may be given an example of hope.

With love

"Arrow" (2012)
Arrow TV Series 2012 "Destiny leaves its mark" : A Review, 20 November 2012

Arrow, a new action TV series on CW Network that based on the story of a green hooded guy who is saving Starling City from corruption. Oliver Queen, son of Robert Queen, a billionaire, vows to his dead father's promise. Robert handed over a secret diary, a list of the criminals to his son to protect the innocent people in the city. Oliver presumed dead for five years before being discovered alive on a remote island in the Pacific. He plans to clean up the dishonest-wealthy-powerful-criminals who are dominating on the city and corrupting innocent people. But the time he learns it's not easy to protect a city alone. He teams up with John Diggle, a former soldier and assigned personal bodyguard to him; Dinah Lance, an honest lawyer and daughter of detective Quentin Lance and hope many more to add in the future episodes.

Spoiled high society, corrupted monopoly business world, shadow politics, power and domination… this TV series claiming the MODERN ERA that never defined before. Based on characters appearing in comic books and graphic novels published by DC Comics, ARROW is from Bonanza Productions Inc. I think in every city needs a hooded guy like Arrow to clean up the crime and save the innocent. Waiting for the next episode, are you?

First 4 episodes are interesting.

With love,

Shame (2011)
Shame : A Poetic Review after Watching the Original Motion Picture!, 15 September 2012

The green seeds are resting in the womb of Mother Earth,

A witch appeared in front of me,

Her naked eyes and hairs were blowing in the wind.

The dream cannot make me sleep anymore.

No drinks can help me out of it; I was utterly drank.

I was roaming inside the woods of my upper mind's desires.

Scared, experienced this Brave New attempt!

Scared, I come to know about the age of infidelity!

Black soil harvests no more weeds,

My wildest wish disappeared far-far away.

Please sister, don't look at me like that.

All my wishes are smoked into ashes and turned into 'Shame'.

What does the word "Shame" denotes to you? This is a movie that defines every single letter of S-H-A-M-E.

Shame is a 2011 British drama film starring Michael Fassbender and Carey Mulligan, co- written and directed by Steve McQueen. Yesterday night I had experienced the film out of curiosity. It teaches me thousand of lessons to keep me away from such terrible life practice.

The film showed Brandon, a handsome thirty-something advertising executive living and working in New York. He has cultivated his private sex life and keep involved into practicing a secret sexual addiction. I am not disclosing the story here. I think a high earning city bachelor should adopt a simple social life, or a hermit. Rest life is not filthy and dirty, we need to little take care about ourselves.

Always love

Vikram

Under the Tuscan Sun: The Story is Funny and the Plot is Beautiful!, 28 February 2012

The film I watched a little long ago, may be a year-back. I love the smile of Diane Lane, Frances. A very familiar smile of one of my beloved friend. But this is not just the reason that I liked this film. It begins with the funny divorce scene of Frances, who acts the role of a literary review writer. Then the strange-comical gay bus tour of Tuscany village! During the vacation she falls in love with the village and certainly decided to buy a villa to live her own way of life. She decided and experienced an enormous, adventurous, funny and romantic life. I never read Frances Mayes' original novel Under the Tuscan Sun: At Home in Italy but I think director Audrey Wells strongly mastered the story, become completely alive to me!

Sideways (2004)
Sideways Is Excellent! Love it!, 23 February 2012

This 126 minutes comedy still make me laugh at watching two dam smart losers! How Miles and Jack enjoy Jack's (Thomas Haden Chu) before marital bachelor trip? My first credit goes to Rex Pickett the writer. The original novel Sideways was rejected by 15 publishers is unbelievable! Alexander Payne's direction is remarkable. His Jack Nicholson's acted About Schmidt was great known to me. Sideways is more than what I love about watching cinema! I love the character of Miles acted by Paul Giamatti and his use of easy wits, Oh, Jesus. Don't ask questions like that up in wine country. ....

The humorous one at the first wine shop scene, let me show you how this is done. First thing, hold the glass up and examine the wine against the light. You're looking for color and clarity. Just, get a sense of it. OK? ….

Lol, I can hardly spend so much time before drinking a glass of Pinot. How people do that?

Agneepath (2012)
This film is nothing entertaining, a torture of human morality and trust!, 29 January 2012

Returned from the theater hall this afternoon with totally unsatisfied!

The remake version of 1990 Amitabh version, which was 10 times better. Only Dutta's bald-look in black dress and sandal is remarkable. The young boy played the role of Vijay Dinanath Chavan is very natural flow of acting, (better than the older version.)

Roshan looks very uncomfortable in acting the slam guy. I think the worst role he ever before played on the silver-screen. Women are acted ridiculous. I am surprised how a senior actor like Roshan completely be fooled accepting this role? Are the 80′s blockbusters are expected in this era? A ridiculous remake! 90% of the film has no connection with the central theme!

Why Vijay joined the virgin seller merchant Rauf Lala? (Watching an unsuccessful business deal with Kancha). Why he kills Lala's son? (To take Lala's shoes, to reach Kancha). There is no link with the central story! He can easily reach Kancha than this remake film plan. A story of an idiotic revenge is written and rewritten. Another "hip , sleazy, and ugly" Bollywood production. The film is unable to play with the emotions and sentiment too. Nothing entertaining, a torture of human morality and trust!

The mastermind only works on cinematography at first 15 minutes and at the end, a couple of minutes. Surprisingly the hell is never been like that in my imagination. In the Hindu religion the banyan tree is a symbol of faith and truthfulness and when an honest primary school teacher conspired and hanged, the tree died. It is little philosophical though I think there is no scientific acceptance.

I don't interested to write more words, already I wasted my money and time! Just can't stop expressing the truth because it will indulgent my mind until I don't write it down.

Thanks!

"A Game of Shadows" Not Exactly Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Holmes! A Different Packaging of Sherlock Holmes., 4 January 2012

It was 3rd January morning 10:15 AM; a 2$ ticket in my hand; seat number F 3; second block, fourth floor, BTM, Bangalore. More or less 32 people are sitting inside, 20 stuffs working outside the hall; two snacks shops; four security officers, including one woman officer; three ticket counters; two elevators and two escalators, one is coming up and one is going to down. This is the way of expression that I have learned from "Sherlock Holmes : A Game of Shadows".

The film shows Sherlock Holmes' superhuman intellectual brainstorming, meditation and precautions of every-single steps; before taken by his enemies. I think, Guy Ritchie's version of Holmes is full of errors. The climax is started in the beginning,

Professor Moriarty: Are you sure you want to play this game?

Sherlock Holmes: I'm afraid you'd lose.

Professor James Moriarty, the role is played by Jared Harris is an unforgettable villainy. Holmes's elder brother, Mycroft Holmes was expected more roles that was missing. The 'slow wits' and puns are the only entertainment, that at least make the audience laugh.

Dr. Watson: Did you just kill my wife?

Sherlock Holmes: I timed it perfectly!

The movie is primarily based on the short story "The Final Problem" by Sir A.C. Doyle and also from many of the other Sherlock Holmes stories: "The Sign of Four"; "The Greek Interpretor"; "Valley of Fear"; "The Speckled Band"; "The Dying Detective"; "Bruce Partington Plans"; "The Adventure of the Creeping Man" and "The Second Stain" are included in one single motion picture. Isn't it sounds idiotic?

Sherlock defeats Professor Moriarty by pulling him over Reichenbach Falls, with both of them falling to their apparent deaths. Holmes is later shown to have survived. This was meant to be the final Sherlock Holmes story, "The Final Problem" by Sir A.C. Doyle.

Robert Downey Jr.'s 1992 biographical role on Chaplin is noticed in Holmes. It is not exactly that I read and imagine about the literary character of Sherlock Holmes. Calculations, actions and re-actions are overdosed. There are many abstract and unnecessary clips broke the central story, was totally unexpected. Cinematography is like an artistic boon of modern technologies. Here science, arts and literature are brilliantly juxtaposed.

Sherlock Holmes riding a pony, "Slow and steady wins the race" is a good wit and moral. Overall "Sherlock Holmes : A Game of Shadows" is entertaining.