vikram-ry123

Big (1988)
5 Reasons Why You Must Like The Film – Big (1988), 18 July 2015

Big (1988) – is a comedy movie directed by Penny Marshall, starring Tom Hanks, Elizabeth Perkins, Robert Loggia and Jared Rushton. The characters in this movie are brilliant. I do not feel bore or over-acted throughout the film.

In this film, I found many good things to learn. Like, Josh and Billy had a wonderful friendship. A friend in need is a friend indeed.

Then the character of Susan (Elizabeth Perkins), her arrogance, smartness and seductive corporate nature turned calm when she gets closer to 30-years old Josh, who is innocent like a 12 years boy (because he is a twelve-year-old boy).

Mr. MacMillan (Robert Loggia), the nature of a true businessman and visionary, who knew to whom to invest for market growth of his toy manufacture business and take it to the next level.

Here I pointed out five reasons why you must like the movie "BIG".

1. Be careful before, what you wish from unplugged Zoltar?

Josh (David Moscow), a little boy of thirteen who wished to an unusual antique arcade fortune teller machine called Zoltar Speaks to become "big". The machine was dramatically supernatural and was unplugged at that moment. When Josh woke up next morning, he found himself turned into a grown-up 30 years old man (Tom Hanks). Next time when you get a fortune teller machine like Zoltar, be careful what you wish!

2. "A thirteen-year-old boy always wants a thirteen-year-old girl":

Mr. MacMillan (Robert Loggia), owner of one of the big toy company in New York, spends his valuable time to kid's toy store in the city to read their mind. According to his personal opinion of reading the children's mind, he came to a conclusion that every thirteen years old boy wants a thirteen years old girl for playing. To some extent, I felt his opinion is indeed correct.

3. Woman loves innocent man, but she also wants some point of maturity to choose him as husband:

Susan (Elizabeth Perkins) played a magnificent role in this film. She shows how cruel and ruthless it can be working inside a corporate in the city of New York. Here people can do anything to secure a job or earn a position.

Her true seductive nature to ride on the corporate ladder was touched by humanity when she came closer to know Josh, (who got a low-level job at MacMillen Toy Company. A chance encounter with the owner Mr.MacMillen of the company leads him to a promotion testing new toys).

4. In love, there are sacrifices:

Throughout the film, Elizabeth Perkins acted very well in Susan's character. Especially at the end when she was decided to marry Josh but came to know the truth that Josh is just a boy of thirteen, she accepted the whole matter very honestly. She respected the choice of Josh (Tom Hanks) to turn again into thirteen- year-old and enjoy his life as a child.

5. If the same story had been given to a Bollywood director what will happen?

– Instead of Zoltar, in Bollywood it will be Bajrang Bali.

– The card "Your Wish Is Granted" will be a sacred flower.

– When Josh asked Susan to come back to thirteen again, in Bollywood version Susan will say "yes", and she will jump on it. (If the director follows the original story then perhaps he will read this review and prove I am wrong). :)

– It will be obvious that Bollywood version will include at least six – seven songs which will increase an extra hour for the Indian audience.

Hope you enjoy this review. Do not miss the film, Big (1988) if you still not watched.

"Gotham" (2014)
After Holiday Episodes are Not Upto the Mark., 25 January 2015

Seems like the last two episodes were quite amateur in terms of storytelling. The character's development were quite funny. Fish Mooney's role got quite ridiculous as a gangster specially after her plans caught by Carmine Falcone. Even her overall plans to take the city under her control were like a beggar's dream! Oswald Cobblepot, aka The Penguin's multiple noses got noticed by Sal Maroni on his unconsciousness made it less interesting. Dr. Leslie Thompkins was introduced in Arkham Asylum was expected on her maturity as a crime insider. Here I think the director and creative team were trying to make up their wrong selection of Barbara Kean's character by selecting Erin Richards. Dr. Leslie Thompkins character to develop a substitute to becoming the side to James Gordon was not interesting. At the end of the Episode 12 it seemed like they enforced by the director and creative team to kiss each-other which was damn spoiler and so quick affection. Hope the Gotham team will come back with interesting stories about those criminals. Their past life might be critical and psychopathic which would make us believe the born of Batman was quite necessary.

The Epic Mythology v The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (A Review), 19 December 2014

The Hobbit The Battle of the Five Armies was Peter Jackson's adaptation of the popular fiction of J. R. R. Tolkien. Yesterday I was lucky to count on the final act of the Hobbit trilogy on 3D at INOX theater, Jayanagar, Bangalore. The experience was awesome and not comparable to any such high end production. It was an experience, the inner feeling, at a point of time I was thinking, if such story continues for the lifetime may be I would love to keep watching and watching. Yeah! 144 minutes of the video was passed like an eye blink.

Some important facts from the movie I wanted to highlight in this review. The epic mythological standard of the Hobbit story is undoubted. In the Indian epic mythology, the Ramayana, the Mahabharata, or The Greek epic mythology, the Iliad, or all the literatures of the mythical standards have one thing in common, either a tragic end or the downfall of the heroes.

In the epic, The Ramayana, Ravana who was a good king, built the first democratic republic in the human history for his people. He had wealth, gold, and luxury in his kingdom. He was the conqueror of the heaven by defeating the demigods. But at the end he had lost the battle with Rama, an ordinary human prince from Ayodhya, India. Because the one mistake of Ravana by stealing Sita, the wife of Rama. Ravana did not listen to his ministers, brothers and wife to send back Sita, and protect the kingdom. In-stead of the sick king declared his own followers as the traitors and banished them from his kingdom. Here in the Hobbit, the exiled dwarf king of Erebor, Thorin Oakenshield, became blind of all his promises to the people and his followers once he got back the gold treasury. The life of people seemed no value to him in compare to the gold. He lost his conscience and became sick by not trusting his own people for the gems stone, called the heart of the mountain.

In the epic, The Mahabharata, Duryodhana, the elder prince of Hastinapura, India. He had claimed to be the king of Hastinapura. He had conspiracies and several false promises made to his cousin brothers for the share of the wealth of his kingdom. In spite of fulfilling his promises he chosen the war which took place at Kurukshetra and ended up after 18 days of devastating destruction and the complete ruin of his life and the kingdom. Duryodhana told, "Without the war, I will not give even a needle worth of land". Here in the Hobbit, Thorin, forgot of his promises made to Bard, the dragon slayer and the descendant of Girion, the Lord of Dale and to his people. Bard saved the life of Thorin and his followers. He and his people helped them, by giving food, comfort, and nourishment. Without their contribution it was impossible to Thorin to get back to the mountain. But when the time came to reclaim the promises made by Thorin to Brad and his people; Thorin chosen the war. He was not ready to pay a single gold penny to them.

In the epic, The Iliad, Priam, the king of Troy and his elder son, Hector, both of them were aware of the mistake done by Paris. Helen, queen of Sparta, who eloped with Paris, the younger son of Priam, was the cause of the Trojan War. Perhaps Priam act at the right moment to send back Helen and protect Troy. But he did not, which caused the downfall of Troy. In Hobbit, Thorin, it was look like, though he had a small strength of army which was not sufficient to go for a war, declared his own downfall.

May be, he could allied with Bard, and Thranduil, the Elven king, have had been helped by the alliance a smooth win against Azog, the Orc chieftain and his Goblin army. At the end, Thorin could have a happy life by ruling, Erebor, until the end of his career. Which he did not act at the right moment, and bring his own downfall at the hand of Azog.

Albeit, Peter Jackson had no hand on that part of the story, as, I hope, it was all written by J. R. R. Tolkien in his novel. Albeit the commonness of the Hobbit version of the mythology, here I found beautiful and unforgettable supporting characters like, Bilbo Baggins, Gandalf, Legolas, Saruman, Radagast, and Galadriel. These characters were acted and protected the role of wise, honest, courageous, who were changed the permutations and combinations of the Hobbit, the epic mythology.

Thanks!

Always love, Vikram

A Storm Review : 300: Rise of an Empire (2014), 18 March 2014

Yesterday evening I went to Inox J.P. Nagar, Central Mall, Bangalore to watch 300: Rise of an Empire. I wanted to experience the show in theater. Finally my dream fulfilled quite accidentally. Yesterday 17th of March, it was Holi festival in India. As usual, I left my office at 7:00 P.M. at the evening and reached to the movie hall just before five minutes of the show.

300 : Rise of an Empire is the continuation of the previous film 300, based on the Persian- Greco war. Legendary Spartan King Leonidas and his 300 soldiers into battle against the invading Persian army during the Battle of Thermopylae. According to legend, their valor and sacrifice inspired all of Greece to unite against the Persian foe, leading to the origins of democracy.

Rise of an Empire, is circulated on two major characters, Artemisia I of of Caria and Themistocles of Athens. The film shows Artemisia, a Greek country girl was captured and grown up with ravish torture by Greek navy. Anyways she managed to escape and found by a noble Persian warrior. She learned how to fight in battlefield, and proved her generosity as a Persian woman navy commander. She wanted a revenge against her past hellish life experience with the Greek army. She led at the naval battle of Artemisium and the naval battle of Salamis.

During the battle of Salamis, she died fighting one and one against Themistocles.

On the other side Themistocles of Athens, who is a politician and visionary to build united Greeks. Queen Gorgo was leading Sparta after her husband King Leonidas's glorious death at the Battle of Thermopylae. Nobel by birth, Themistocles managed to convince Queen Gorgo to continue the battle against Xerxes I of Persia, who declared himself the God king. At the naval Battle of Salamis, Themistocles with his leadership ability, united the Greeks. Followed by his command and the Greeks managed to defeat the Persians.

The graphic was highly extraordinary. Slow motion, 3D affects, navy battle scenes at the middle of the sea, and the legendary history emerged new heights in the history of the motion picture. I am not gonna rate the film based on the story and characters, as I think its a highly creative work.

"Berserk" (1997)
Berserk : The Dark Saga, 28 January 2013

Berserk (Manga) is not a new series to me, I read a couple of volumes earlier. The darkness of the subject seemed not an interesting study for me. Once my father became very angry, because he caught me with Berserk volumes, I was 15. The same series I've downloaded last week and watched Season 1, complete 25 episodes. I see, Guts' story was started rather simple and had the quality of an epic. The knowledge beyond the nature, the myths, they exist because we do exist in flesh and blood.

Why it captures my attention?

Berserk has an exceptional balance in the story. Each character has his/her unique qualities and not dominates other. Every single mercenary of the Band of the Hawk are characterized like real characters. Griffith, the anti-hero who is dare ambitious and has the charismatic attitude. He borns not very strong but he has all the qualities of a leader. Guts, the mysterious Black Swordsman, not one of the Hawk's, who is superior in power and achievements, and has no fear in his eyes. He becomes the Commander of the Hawk's who can bring thousand of victories alone in the battlefield better known as the 100 men slayer. The 3rd main character is a women knight, Casca who is a victim of sexual assault in her childhood and desperately chosen her fate to fight. She has purity in her heart and she is completely devoted to Griffith who saves her life several times.

How the story becomes alive?

The story is indeed fantastic, the love triangle between three main characters and the Crimson Behelit, The Egg of the King, that incidentally saves Griffith's life time-after time. Yes it is alive! Things we believe do exist, but supernatural like Zodd the immortal, sometime they too, either in real or in dreams but they do! We all know they do. The same way, the size of human character that is depending on wealth not in our earthly figure!

Griffith's ambition is innocent, at least at the beginning we think so. But the adobe he builds in his mind is erratic, he never forced anyone to join him, except one man, Guts who has changed everything. Griffith's dream reflected in Guts's eyes. Tudor, the most powerful neighbouring country of Midland that was unconquerable for centuries was defeated by only 5000 armies of Band of the Hawks. Such impossible becomes possible because of the leadership of Griffith and the strength of Guts. Zodd the supernatural himself appears to the battlefield to see Guts live.

Casca loves Griffith, her love is all about devotion. She knows Griffith is ambitious, and to fulfill his ambition he flirts people. She knows Guts has the power that Griffith lacks. The day Guts defeated Griffith on a duel to prove he is a freeman and not belongs to anybody without his own will, Casca realizes her blind devotion.

Guts felt love for one woman in the earth, Casca. He dislikes festival, dance, highborn court women, amusement, and lights. He enjoys silent moon at night. An iron hearted man without feelings. In a flashback we see how he learns to live life. A group of mercenaries found a newly born from the corpse of his dead mother. The wife of Gambino, a mercenary, adopts Guts. Years later she died, leaving Gambino to raise Guts. Guts learned to fight alongside the mercenaries even though he is just a child and his sword is as big as him. Although Guts loves Gambino as a father, Gambino is cruel and harsh on Guts, believing the child brings the curse and blaming Guts for his wife's death. One night Gambino attacks Guts in a rage and Guts accidentally kills him in defense.

Conclusion

All well that ends well, may be here the writer and illustrator, Kentaro Miura tries to make a difference. Berserk is a dark saga. Above I shared the ideal folk tale is aroused by curiosity. At least people like me will love to know up-to that level. Later the same story reminds me of Dante's Inferno is in compare. But it is not that the end, the saga burns everything into the hell. It could be something else, better. It's not about the cruel rape scene, that is common in many sex by force stories. Indeed the darkness is something beyond the bad dreams, cruel, horrific, devastating, that directly played with the feelings and emotion that people afraid of. May be Griffith's rebirth aftermath is concluded without an explanation. The whole thing is judged just rightly wrong in a completely bad manner.

Life of Pi (2012)
"Life of Pi", The meaning of the floating algae island; is God exists?", 5 December 2012

Synopsis:

"Life of Pi" Yann Martel's 2001 best-selling novel, is a magical adventure story of a young boy, Pi Patel, son of Santosh Patel, a zoo owner living in Pondicherry, India. The family decides to move the zoo to Canada, hitching a ride on a huge freighter. After a shipwreck, Pi finds himself adrift in the Pacific Ocean on a 26-foot lifeboat with a zebra, a hyena, an orangutan and a 450-pound Bengal tiger named Richard Parker, all fighting for survival.

Review:

Novel "Life of Pi", and film director Ang Lee's version seems, I never imagine its possible to combine the philosophy into the film screen. The imagination through the novel was fantasy in my opinion when the film version is magically realistic. The use of modern highest resource of 3D technology is a merit of success achieved by the art-direction team, I salute. The film made me speechless even after it ends I was sitting and waiting to watch more and more. I was thinking where the digital entertainment is sailing the boat for the NextGen?

The movie contains good sense of humor regarding the dialogs. In market, Pi was following a girl he saw at the dance class. When she catches Pi and asked why he is following? Pi innocently asked at the dance class she ended two wrists joined loosely cupped hands, what does it mean, he wonders. The girl tells him, the lotus hides in the forest. Pi asked, "Why lotus will hide in the forest?"

At the end when Richard Parker, the Bengal tiger left unceremoniously, Pi says, "All of life is an act of letting go but what hurts the most is not taking a moment to say goodbye."

Is God exists?

The narrator promises at the beginning that he will prove God exists. Well, in Yann Martel's book he did, but in Ang Lee's movie, did he or not? In 2012 film "Life of Pi", you see the floating island of vegetation with its own ecosystem that could be boarded and had animals living on it out in the middle of the ocean. It seems far-fetched, but does anything you notice in the movie?

Pi Patel's confession of faith was regarding Lord Vishnu, the Vedic God who masters the past, present and future, the one who supports, sustains and governs the Universe and originates and develops all elements within. Its called Vishnu sleeps in the ocean of milk with his companions. Did you see very carefully the structure of the floating island? The art-director shaped the island like sleeping Lord Vishnu! I was surprised to see the art work at a glance.

In my opinion the movie is a lifetime experience, so don't miss the movie and as well if you did not read the book then read it too. This is one of the remarkable philosophy of film-art.

Detachment (2011)
Detachment (2012) : A Review!, 20 November 2012

Detachment is an awesome movie directed by Tony Kaye and another finest role by Adrien Brody. The film is based on modern ironic society where young students are the victims of dystopian world to fulfill the goals that is not easy. Achieving everything is nothing, the truth!

It's easy to get spoiled and earn money in a wrong way, but hard to face the truth. In this film there is a lesson that we must try to learn. Bright young souls are getting dark without guidance, motivation, and care. Students are getting frustrated about the outburst society, parents blaming on teachers, teachers blaming on the students, politics is behind! Corruption, power, domination, enchanted like two-faced god! Love is getting very physical. Relationship has no emotion, no feelings. Daily life is getting filled-up with bad slang. Teachers are helpless to educate. Parents are neglecting their own children. This is the present social scenario of advanced educated countries and the future of developing countries.

We are ironically educated to hide the truth. We have eyes to see the right, but we act the blind. Shame on whom? Shame is detaching us from us! This is a film that tries to put some light and may be given an example of hope.

With love

"Arrow" (2012)
Arrow TV Series 2012 "Destiny leaves its mark" : A Review, 20 November 2012

Arrow, a new action TV series on CW Network that based on the story of a green hooded guy who is saving Starling City from corruption. Oliver Queen, son of Robert Queen, a billionaire, vows to his dead father's promise. Robert handed over a secret diary, a list of the criminals to his son to protect the innocent people in the city. Oliver presumed dead for five years before being discovered alive on a remote island in the Pacific. He plans to clean up the dishonest-wealthy-powerful-criminals who are dominating on the city and corrupting innocent people. But the time he learns it's not easy to protect a city alone. He teams up with John Diggle, a former soldier and assigned personal bodyguard to him; Dinah Lance, an honest lawyer and daughter of detective Quentin Lance and hope many more to add in the future episodes.

Spoiled high society, corrupted monopoly business world, shadow politics, power and domination… this TV series claiming the MODERN ERA that never defined before. Based on characters appearing in comic books and graphic novels published by DC Comics, ARROW is from Bonanza Productions Inc. I think in every city needs a hooded guy like Arrow to clean up the crime and save the innocent. Waiting for the next episode, are you?

First 4 episodes are interesting.

With love,

Shame (2011)
Shame : A Poetic Review after Watching the Original Motion Picture!, 15 September 2012

The green seeds are resting in the womb of Mother Earth,

A witch appeared in front of me,

Her naked eyes and hairs were blowing in the wind.

The dream cannot make me sleep anymore.

No drinks can help me out of it; I was utterly drank.

I was roaming inside the woods of my upper mind's desires.

Scared, experienced this Brave New attempt!

Scared, I come to know about the age of infidelity!

Black soil harvests no more weeds,

My wildest wish disappeared far-far away.

Please sister, don't look at me like that.

All my wishes are smoked into ashes and turned into 'Shame'.

What does the word "Shame" denotes to you? This is a movie that defines every single letter of S-H-A-M-E.

Shame is a 2011 British drama film starring Michael Fassbender and Carey Mulligan, co- written and directed by Steve McQueen. Yesterday night I had experienced the film out of curiosity. It teaches me thousand of lessons to keep me away from such terrible life practice.

The film showed Brandon, a handsome thirty-something advertising executive living and working in New York. He has cultivated his private sex life and keep involved into practicing a secret sexual addiction. I am not disclosing the story here. I think a high earning city bachelor should adopt a simple social life, or a hermit. Rest life is not filthy and dirty, we need to little take care about ourselves.

Always love

Vikram

Under the Tuscan Sun: The Story is Funny and the Plot is Beautiful!, 28 February 2012

The film I watched a little long ago, may be a year-back. I love the smile of Diane Lane, Frances. A very familiar smile of one of my beloved friend. But this is not just the reason that I liked this film. It begins with the funny divorce scene of Frances, who acts the role of a literary review writer. Then the strange-comical gay bus tour of Tuscany village! During the vacation she falls in love with the village and certainly decided to buy a villa to live her own way of life. She decided and experienced an enormous, adventurous, funny and romantic life. I never read Frances Mayes' original novel Under the Tuscan Sun: At Home in Italy but I think director Audrey Wells strongly mastered the story, become completely alive to me!