MovieInspector

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Bodyguard (2011)
a superb romantic action film/drama that should appeal to absolutely everyone, 1 September 2011

Siddique, who actually wrote the story, screenplay and directed this film, has made a marvellous debut in the Hindi film industry.

The story, in a nutshell ( I won't give anything away) is about a very disciplined Bodyguard called Lovely Singh (Salman Khan), an orphan who is instructed by his boss to report to the same person his dad worked as and actually died serving, and that he is Sartaj (played by veteran Raj Babbar). Sartaj has a number of people out after him and so is worried about the security of his daughter, Divya (Kareena Kapoor or Bebo as she's commonly known as). Lovely is appointed as her bodyguard by who goes everywhere with her wearing his much talked about uniform that the mischievous Divya doesn't like him wearing. The content that follows is funny, highly emotional and has been garnished with some fine action sequences. Oh and IT IS NOT your typical cliché plagued kind of thing. That's what makes this movie so good.

The film is packed with good performances. It looks like Salman Khan will get more recognition come awards season next year for his performance. Kareena is surely a contender for the best actress awards too. Look out for the supporting actors and actresses, not least Aditya Pancholi who conveys so much through his eyes, the newcomer Hazel Keech who plays a very interesting character very solidly, film maker Rajat Rawail in his acting debut in a comic role (look out for the interesting messages on the front of his shirts) and Mahesh Manjrekar.

The music has topped charts everywhere, not least here in the UK where the BBC Asian downloads chart has been dominated by the track 'Teri Meri'in recent times, and it does stand out. 'I love you' and 'Desi Beat' are also very good tracks too and have also entered the charts in high positions.

Overall: good cinematography, story, screenplay, music and performances by the whole cast. I give it a double thumbs up!! RATING: 9/10.

Very enjoyable but there are a few little problems., 24 July 2011

ZINDAGI NA MILEGI DOBARA is Zoya Akhtar's latest venture after directorial debut with LUCK BY CHANCE. It is a very entertaining movie that keeps things simple and evokes laughter without going over the top like many comedies.

Hrithik Roshan, Abhay Deol and Farhan Akhtar are terrific as they play three friends travelling to Spain for a bachelor trip of sorts. Katrina is good and is clearly looking to cement her place at the top of the Hindi film industry by being very selective. Naseeruddin Shah is good in a cameo as is Deepti Naval. Ariadna Cabrol is wasted.

The cinematography is exquisite and the dialogues by Farhan are refreshing. In addition, the locales of Spain have been captured nicely and the music is entirely appropriate and fits in. The whole soundrack is very good but 'Ik Junoon' and 'Senorita' stand out. Shankar-Ehsaan- Loy have delivered again and, by doing so, have shown why they are amongst the best composers in the industry.

However, there are some problems. One is the running time of the movie. A shorter movie would have packed a bigger punch since the film gets talk-heavy in places, and the viewer may get a little restless as a result. Also, mocking doordarshan is totally unnecessary and doesn't do anything for the film. The film also lacks in drama in the first hour or so.

ZINDAGI NA MILEGI DOBARA is still very impressive for it looks at life in a very interesting way, inspiring the viewer to make the most of it. After all, zindagi na milegi dobara (you won't get to live twice). Director Zoya Akhtar's ability to incorporate offbeat elements into her films needs to be appreciated.

I don't rate this quite as highly as DIL CHAHTA HAI but that doesn't take away the fact that this, like DIL CHAHTA HAI, can be watched and enjoyed many times. I'm looking forward to Zoya's next

Verdict: inspiring, entertaining, refreshing and universally appealing. One of the best bollywood movies of 2011 so far. You don't want to miss it.

Rating: 8.5/10

The second best Bollywood movie of 2007 after "Taare Zameen Par", and the best Bollywood sports movie ever., 10 July 2011

Shahrukh Khan stars in "ChakDe! India" as a former Indian national hockey player and someone, in his own words, who wants to defeat the reason why he lost out in his own career by this time coaching the Indian women's hockey team to world cup glory. For him, it's all about believing that you can win, and he makes this clear quite often.

Equal opportunities in sport (something we all take for granted), religion, self-belief and teamwork are themes central to "ChakDe! India" have been cleverly handled by director Shimit Amin.

Shahrukh's performance is brilliant; one can totally understand why he won filmfare best actor for this. Out of the team of girls, the performances that stand out are those by Shilpa Shukla (as Bindia), Sagarika Ghatge (as Preeti), Chitrashi Rawal (as Komal) and Tanya Abrol (as Balbir).

Director Shimit Amin has done a good job with this. He clearly is a very talented director and this is evident in every frame of the movie.

The screenplay works great and the cinematography is brilliant.

From the soundtrack, "Chak De India" is the most memorable song and is probably the best song from the list.

Verdict: A national award winning sports masterpiece from Yash Raj Films that should not be missed!! I give it 9/10.

Guzaarish (2010)
After disappointing with "Saawariya", Sanjay Leela Bhansali comes back with a masterpiece, 13 June 2011

Back in 1999, Sanjay Leela Bhansali released "Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam", a high profile movie which did impress. Three years later, he released a very high profile multi-starrer "Devdas", which was also very good, and continued with "Black" 3 years later which was also very impressive. Two years after that, he released "Saawariya" which was very disappointing, though he did give the industry another rising star in the form of Ranbir Kapoor. We've had to wait 3 years for this one. One thing's for sure: he has absolutely nailed this one. Brilliant!

Hrithik Roshan plays the role of a quadriplegic effortlessly; everything from his facial expressions to his dialogue delivery is just superb. He reminds us how underrated he is as an actor. Aishwariya is superb in her respective role too. Aditya Roy Kapoor really caught my eye; he's someone to look out for in the future. Shernaz Patel and Suhel Seth are good in their supporting roles too.

The cinematography is great; the screenplay is great and the direction is brilliant. Sanjay Leela Bhansali's talent shines through in every single frame of the movie.

The music of the film is quite appropriate and has been nicely incorporated into the narrative. "Sau gram zindagi" is easily the best track.

Verdict: a masterpiece from a brilliant director. Hrithik shines as does Aishwariya. A romantic and profound drama that shouldn't be missed! I give it 9.5/10

A nice romantic comedy, 6 June 2011

Madhur Bhandarkar, a national award winning director, is well know for his hard hitting movies such as "Fashion" and "Chandini Bar", and that's why you have to give him lots and lots of credit for going out of his comfort zone.

The performances by all 3 of the leading males (Ajay Devgan, Emraan Hashmi and Omi Vadiya) are good. The character development makes up the story; hence, we get to know more about the personalities of the three characters as the film progresses. Their respective stories are all different so the theme of love, of course, is thoroughly explored.

The cinematography is good as you would expect, as is the screenplay.

Music has been nicely incorporated; there are no songs that don't 'fit in'.

Verdict: a nice, funny and romantic movie that shouldn't be missed. 8/10.

Ready (2011)
A wonderful and refreshing family entertainment package! Clearly, entertainment is an alien concept to some people., 3 June 2011

After impressing with "Wanted" and "Dabangg", Salman has given us a family entertainer that defines Bollywood by incorporating all of the main aspects: action, music, comedy and romance.

Anees Bazmee has shown us what a talented director he is in this genre, and his talent is evident in every single frame of the movie. He sets the mood with the opening credits and maintains it throughout. Even at the interval there is something (I won't tell you) that nicely replaces Intermission/Interval.

The performances are nice. Asin reminds one of Madhuri Dixit in "Hum Aapke Hain Kaun", and Salman plays Prem just like he did in that movie, and his character has some similarities to the guy he played in HAHK. He's at his entertaining best. Paresh Rawal is at his comic best, and Sharat Saxena and Akhilendra Mishra provide good support. Mahesh Manjrekar is good and Manoj Joshi has done well too. Special mention to Sanjay Dutt, Ajay Devgan and Zarine Khan who make guest guest appearances. Zarine shines in the chart-buster "character dheela", Sanjay Dutt is funny and serves a purpose as does Ajay Devgan.

The music is wonderful. "Character dheela" is the most memorable song but "Dhinka Chika" isn't far behind. I must say Devi Sri Prasad has recreated the "ringa ringa" magic with Dhinka Chika. "humko pyar hua" and "meri ada bhi" are nice too. Pritam has impressed again.

The film is incredibly lavish, and the wonderful scenery of Thailand in particular has been cleverly used to add to the overall effect of the movie; not only that, it also helps maintain the mood of the film, similarly to Hum Aapke Hain Kaun.

Verdict: a light hearted and refreshing family entertainment package that will definitely better your mood, even if you're in a good one already. I give it 9.5/10. Better than WELCOME (2007) and "SINGH IS KINGG" (2008)

We're starting to expect this from Vidya Balan. Rani Mukherjee is very good too., 2 June 2011

This film is based on quite a famous case in the history of the Indian legal system, and the director, Raj Kumar Gupta, has got this one just right.

First of all, the performances by Vidya and Rani are brilliant. The characters are totally different and, as the movie progresses, they, Vidya's character in particular, develop brilliantly.

Music is nicely incorporated into this fast paced thriller. The song that undoubtedlystands out it "Dilli Dilli" which fits into the story particularly well. The cinematography is good as is the screenplay.

Verdict: unmissable, and will thoroughly even someone who is unaware of the problems in India. 9/10

Do the ends justify the means?, 2 June 2011

This film is one of a kind. Not only is it a fantastic, fast paced thriller, but it also raises some important questions which, I must say, the average human being may think a lot about before answering.

Samuel L Jackson excels in his role, as does Carrie-Anne Moss as an FBI officer. They are on top form here. The performance by Michael Sheen is brilliant.

The violence in this movie is very graphic, but it only adds to the impact the film has.

The cinematography is good, the screenplay is great and it's safe to say that the director has done a wonderful job here.

Verdict: this one packs a powerful punch. I give it 9.5/10.

Brilliant, 30 May 2011

I was expecting great things from this movie, since it is an Aamir Khan production after all, and he has never let us down. Well, all I can say is that I got much more than I expected.

Darsheel Safaray is brilliant as the child; he excels in a role every child would struggle to handle, and this is the best performance from a child artist I've ever seen, that too by a long way. What can I say about Aamir Khan? His performance is near perfect as the teacher, and the strange thing is that he's only in half of the movie yet still makes an impact. He truly is a genius.

The film's message is universal. Of course, all of us already know what children are like, but not all of us are aware of the factors that influence how children think, and we definitely don't know what is going through their minds all the time. This film explores how children think, and looks at the attitudes of adults towards children.

The cinematography is wonderful, and the direction by Aamir Khan is superb. Kudos to the screenplay writers for giving us such a wonderful and touching film.

The music is wonderful, and the songs do actually help the story along.

Finally like to emphasise that this film is not just for kids, and that everyone should watch it.

Verdict: unmissable - one of the finest movies ever made. 10/10.

Great. It's all Priyanka. Intelligent film-making at its best., 14 May 2011

Vishal Bhardwaj didn't impress me that much with Omkara, but his last two films (Kaminey and this) have really impressed me.

The story is based on the Ruskin Bond novel 'Susanna's seven husbands', about a woman who gets married 7 times in search of true love.

The performance by Priyanka is out of this world. Out of the seven husbands, the most impressive ones are John Abraham, Irfan Khan and Naseerudin Shah.

The screenplay is brilliant, and the cinematography is good. Characterisation is brilliant too. The direction is simply superb; Vishal Bhardwaj almost takes things to the next level with this.

The music of the film is quite appropriate. I wouldn't say it is chart-buster quality, but it certainly adds to the film.

Verdict: recommend this to serious film fans. It's just a wonderful movie. 9/10.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]