callanvass

Live from Saginaw, Michigan

Your hosts are Tony Schiavone & Larry Zbyszko

United States Championship

Dean Malenko (C) Vs Yuji Nagata

Malenko retains by submission with the Texas Cloverleaf. This actually went more than three minutes! Color me shocked. Anyway, the match was OK.

*3/4 out of 5

Glacier Vs Ciclope

Glacier wins very quickly with a kick to the face. Mortis and Wrath attack Glacier after the match. There were some "Glacier sucks" chants here.

DUD

Nick Patrick pleads his case to be reinstated by WCW.

Television Championship

The Ultimo Dragon (C) (W/Sonny Onoo) Vs Bobby Eaton

The Ultimo Dragon wins by submission. Bobby Eaton deserved better than this!

3/4* out of 5

Steven Regal claims he'll become the Television Champion for the fourth time when he defeats The Ultimo Dragon at Slamboree.

Chris Jericho Vs Meng (W/Jimmy Hart)

Meng wins by submission. It really sucks to see someone the caliber of Jericho job to Meng.

* out of 5

We get a really weird segment with Kevin Sullivan and Meng.

The Steiner Brothers Vs Public Enemy

The Steiner's brawl with Konnan and Hugh Morrus backstage before the match. Konnan and Hugh Morrus come out during the match as well and attack The Steiner's again. Public Enemy helps out The Steiner's.

* out of 5

Hour two.

Your hosts are Tony Schiavone, Mike Tenay & Bobby Heenan

J.J Dillon comes out. He says Eric Bischoff has no authority anymore, but he has an iron clad contract and he can come and go as he pleases. He's still the executive vice president. Eric Bischoff comes out and tells J.J Dillon to bite him. He says he can't stop him or the nWo from doing whatever they want. Bischoff brags about WCW being the number one wrestling show and he did it all by himself. J.J Dillon acknowledges that Bischoff is the most powerful person in wrestling and gives him credit for making WCW number one. He says Bischoff betraying WCW is unacceptable. Bischoff tells Dillon to bite him again and leaves.

Jeff Jarrett (W/Debra) Vs Scotty Riggs

Jarrett wins with the Figure Four. This was a mini-feud that nobody cared about. The match was below average

*1/4 out of 5

Cruiserweight Championship

Syxx (C) (W/Kevin Nash) Vs Rey Mysterio Jr.

Syxx wins after Kevin Nash interferes and delivers a jackknife to Mysterio. J.J Dillon comes out and orders security to come out. Rey Mysterio is put on a stretcher and put in an ambulance. This was going well until the abrupt ending.

*3/4 out of 5

We get a clip of Hulk Hogan on the set of his movie "McCinsey's Island" His co-stars, Robert Vaughn and Gracie Jones are apparently fans of Hogan because they claim they are nWo for life.

The nWo is out for an interview. Syxx says he heard Ric Flair say the nWo has no respect for the business. Syxx rightfully calls out Ric Flair for ripping off "Nature Boy" Buddy Rogers. He says he has no respect for Flair or Roddy Piper. Nash insults Roddy Piper and claims Flair and Piper never put over the younger guys. He says WCW used to be about Dad's pushing their sons. He says Scott Hall could have been a big star in WCW when he first arrived, but they cut his salary and he went to the WWF. I'm not gonna spoil the rest. It's a really good promo from Nash.

Diamond Dallas Paige (W/Kimberly) Vs Psychosis

DDP wins in under a minute with a Diamond Cutter from the top. Randy Savage appears in the crowd. Savage asks if you can feel the madness. He claims Kimberly felt the madness. DDP tells Randy Savage to come down and fight him. Savage retreats and declines.

Ric Flair, Roddy Piper, and Kevin Greene come out. Flair challenges the nWo to come out. The nWo comes out and brawls with Flair, Piper and Greene to end the show.

This episode was rather uneventful. It wasn't horrible, just rather boring at times. It's worth a watch at least once, though.

5.3/10

A near-classic show!, 22 July 2016

Live from Binghamton, NY

Your commentators are Vince McMahon, Jim Ross & Jerry Lawler

Steve Austin starts the show. Vince announces Austin will face The Undertaker for the WWF title at In Your House. Austin tells Vince to shut his "stinking" hole. He says the world saw him whip Bret Hart's ass last night with his world-famous Sharpshooter. He says the only reason he didn't finish the job is because Owen and Bulldog saved his ass. He wants Bret Hart to come out and have a street fight with him. There is a 30 second timer that appears on the titantron. Bret Hart doesn't show up, but he appears on the titantron. He accepts Austin's challenge. He claims he almost tore Austin's leg apart and says the American fans have no ethics or morals. He complains about Austin getting a title shot against The Undertaker. Bret says he's taking Austin straight to hell. Austin says he's gonna take Bret with him. Austin goes backstage and hunts for Bret.

Ahmed Johnson Vs The Sultan (W/The Iron Sheik)

The Sultan wins by DQ. Ahmed makes The Nation of Domination retreat with a 2 x 4. This was relatively poor stuff for the most part.

Steve Austin tries kicking down Bret Hart's locker room door to get inside.

Ken Shamrock makes a challenge to Mike Tyson. I don't think anything ever came of it.

Street Fight

'Stone Cold' Steve Austin Vs Bret Hart

The British Bulldog and Owen Hart attack Austin and double team him until Shawn Michaels runs in with a chair and saves Austin. Bret Hart tries to destroy Austin's leg, but Austin counters and destroys Bret's leg with a chair. He puts Bret in the sharpshooter for a lengthy period. It's amazing how Austin can act heelish and the fans can still chant his name and go nuts for him. That's charisma, folks.

Gorilla Monsoon berates Austin for his actions just a few minutes ago. Gorilla says Austin is out of control. Austin says he isn't through yet. Gorilla orders Austin to get out of the building. Austin warns Gorilla and says he'll whip his ass.

Tiger Ali Singh Vs Salvatore Sincere

Tiger Ali Singh wins with a spinning heel kick. I was more interested in Bret Hart being loaded into the ambulance.

3/4*

As Bret Hart is being loaded into the ambulance, Steve Austin is hiding up front. He attacks Bret Hart viciously in the ambulance until The British Bulldog and Owen Hart stop Austin. This is definitely one of the coolest moments from 1997.

Rockabilly (W/The Honkytonk Man) Vs Jessie James

Billy Gunn wins with a swinging neckbreaker. The Honkytonk Man drills Jessie James with the guitar from behind after the match. This was a pretty ugly match.

Steve Austin and Shawn Michaels argue backstage with Gorilla Monsoon right in the middle.

The Undertaker Vs Hunter Hearst Helmsley (W/Chyna)

The match ends in a DQ after Mankind comes out with a blow torch. He tries to burn The Undertaker with it, but The Undertaker counters it and chases Mankind through the crowd. Goldust and Marlena attack Chyna and Triple H. This match was really boring.

*1/2

Steve Austin is out for an interview. He says he doesn't know why the fans are so happy. He says the fans didn't help him and he did it by himself. He mocks all the Austin 3:16 signs and says it doesn't matter to him. He criticizes Vince for jumping on the Austin bandwagon. He says Bret Hart is done for good. He says The Undertaker is gonna have the coldest day in hell at In Your House. He tells the fans to be quiet and says he's the ruler of the world. He says he refuses to be a good role model when he becomes WWF Champion. Owen Hart & The British Bulldog attack Austin. Shawn Michaels runs down and chases them away. Brian Pillman comes out and attacks Austin as well, but Shawn Michaels saves Austin again to end the show. This interview was very shades of grey. Austin was a true tweener by saying he didn't care about the fans.

This truly was the Steve Austin show. Only Stone Cold could get away with insulting the fans and still get cheered. That's how amazing he was. This is one of my favorite episodes of Raw.

8.5/10

You can't go wrong with Steve Austin and Bret Hart!, 22 July 2016

Live from Rochester, NY

Attendance: 6,477

Your commentators are Vince McMahon, Jerry Lawler & Jim Ross

Owen Hart & The British Bulldog (C) Vs The Legion of Doom

LOD initially win the titles, but it turned out Animal pinned the illegal man. The match restarts. LOD has the match won, but Bret Hart runs in and causes the DQ. This match was ruined by overbooking. I didn't see the need for what happened here. Bret Hart came late for the run-in and it looked really bad.

** out of 5

Intercontinental Championship

Rocky Maivia (C) Vs Savio Vega (W/The Nation of Domination)

Savio wins by countout after Crush nails Rocky with the heart punch on the outside. The Nation attacks Rocky until Ahmed makes the save. This was much better than the match they had on Raw on the Raw before this. It's weird to see Rocky hit a Rock Bottom and not get the three count. That wasn't his finisher at the time, though.

**1/4 out of 5

Owen Hart & The British Bulldog ambush Steve Austin in the men's room.

Jessie James Vs Rockabilly (W/The Honky Tonk Man)

Rockabilly is Billy Gunn. Jessie James wins with an inside cradle. This was a mediocre match without any heat behind it. It's amazing that these two would become a legendary tag team (The New Age Outlaws) when they were stuck in crappy gimmicks like this.

*1/2 out of 5

Steve Austin says Bret Hart will have to kill him to be done with him. He will wrestle tonight and he will whip Bret Hart's ass.

WWF Championship

The Undertaker (C) Vs Mankind (W/Paul Bearer)

The Undertaker wins with a Tombstone piledriver. The Undertaker lights fire in Paul Bearer's face after the match. This was another good brawl between these two. These two have a lot of chemistry with each other and they've had many brawls. You can always count on these two. Mankind took some sick bumps.

*** out of 5

'Stone Cold' Steve Austin Vs Bret Hart

Steve Austin wins by DQ. Austin gets a measure of revenge on Bret Hart by attacking Bret's knee and putting him in the Sharpshooter after the match. Don't get me wrong, this is really good match between these two with solid storytelling and excellent psychology. It just pales in comparison to their matches at Wrestlemania 13 and Survivor Series 96.

***1/2 out of 5

This is a decent event overall. The last two matches are pretty good and worth watching for this PPV alone. My only true complaint is how dead the crowd is. They barely reacted to anything, aside from the odd chant and cheers here and there. Steve Austin and Bret Hart's feud would continue for a bit after this.

Royal Rumble (1992) (TV)
Arguably, the best Royal Rumble in history., 21 July 2016

Live from Albany, NY

Attendance: 17,000

Your commentators are Gorilla Monsoon & Bobby Heenan

The New Foundation (Owen Hart & Jim Neidhart) Vs The Orient Express (W/Mr. Fuji)

The New Foundation wins. This wasn't as good as I remembered it to be. That being said, It's still a fairly fun opener with a fair amount of excitement. I just expected more.

**3/4

Intercontinental Championship

The Mountie (C) (W/Jimmy Hart) Vs 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper

Piper wins the title by putting The Mountie to sleep. This match is more about the moment than the match itself. It was Piper's first ever title win. It's a great moment for sure. Interestingly enough, I heard Piper never wanted to become WWF champion. I didn't hear of the reason.

The Beverly Brothers (W/The Genius) Vs The Buswhackers (W/Jamison)

The Beverly Brothers win. This was a horrible match! It's repetitive, there is way too much stalling, and The Bushwhackers antics get old very quickly. The only good Bushwhackers match I've seen was when they were in the NWA as the Sheepherders.

½*

Tag Team Championship

The Legion of Doom (C) Vs The Natural Disasters (W/Jimmy Hart)

The Natural Disasters win by countout. This is another bad match. You can't do much when The Natural Disasters are in there, but still, It moved really slowly and the crowd didn't seem to be that into it.

*1/4

Sid Justice, Hulk Hogan, and Ric Flair are the final three. Sid eliminates Hogan fair and square. Hogan tries to pull Sid out until Flair sneaks up from behind and tosses Sid to win the Royal Rumble. This might just be the greatest Royal Rumble of all time. It's loaded with star power and Itt has so many epic things about it. Flair's amazing performance will never be forgotten. Bobby Heenan's amazing commentary during the match won't be forgotten either. (That's not fair to Flair!) It's also known as the day fans started turning on Hulk Hogan. Hogan acted like a spoiled child after being eliminated and quite a few fans booed him for it, chanting for Sid instead. Vince and Hogan were so upset over Hogan getting boos, they edited it out in future releases. You can see the original version on the WWE Network.

***** (5/5)

This PPV deserves somewhat of a high rating due to the Rumble itself. It's a memorable show just because of that. As I said, Flair's performance is incredible. In all honesty, though? The Rumble and Piper's title win are the only worthwhile things on this show.

Thanksgiving, 20 July 2016

Last year during Thanksgiving, everybody seemed much happier. Serena was a happy drunk at Blair's place. Blair's parents were still together and in happy spirits. There wasn't so much turmoil in Nate's family. The Humphrey's were all together as a family. Dan had saved Serena's life by stopping her from getting hit by a car and Serena finally acknowledged him. Fast forward a year later, things are grim. Serena reveals to Blair that she saw him with Chuck. This leads to a fight between the two and Serena is forced to spend thanksgiving elsewhere. Dan comes up with the idea of Serena and Lilly spending thanksgiving with him and his family. Things become very awkward and tense when Lilly sees Allison and Rufus back together. Nate's father is rushed to the hospital after Nate's father attempts suicide. Eleanor forbids Blair's father to join them for thanksgiving. Blair's battle with bulimia is revisited.

This is a fantastic episode. I haven't seen a bad episode yet of this show. Almost everyone is sympathetic on this episode aside from Nate's mom and Blair's mom, Eleanor. Even Eleanor becomes somewhat sympathetic near the end. This episode is really heavy. It tackles on subjects such as suicide, bulimia, neglect, betrayal. It really packs a wallop. The thanksgiving at the Humphrey's got to me the most. I cringed when I saw Lilly and Allison together because I knew how uncomfortable that was going to be. It made me very uncomfy. I thought they handled it very realistically and it had a mature ending. I'm selfishly hoping Rufus isn't done with Lilly. I like Allison, but I liked where they were going with Rufus and Lilly. I've criticized Blair in the past, but she is at her most sympathetic here. Even the people who don't like Blair will sympathize with her here. I also really liked the flashbacks that were incorporated here. It was a stark contrast to show how different things were at Thanksgiving the year previously.

Most of you have probably seen this episode already. If you haven't, I suggest you do so. Gossip Girl fans will love it.

About as fun as getting hit in the nuts, 20 July 2016

(Credit IMDb) The day after a huge party a scavenger hunt is held. Every college-age kid in town is out for the grand prize. One-by-one they are all dispatched by a killer in a giant bear suit. But who is it?

This is one of the worst slashers I have ever seen, and I've seen a lot of slashers. I'll check out any 80's slasher because of my love for them. The killer is laughable. The bear suit is one of the silliest costumes I've ever seen in my life. They try to make things tricky by using multiple suspects, but it's still predictable. This movie has no suspense and the acting is amateurish. Hal Holbrook looks embarrassed to be in this. I read somewhere that he only did this as a favor to his son. This has a ridiculous twist ending as well. They even try to pay a tribute to Psycho!

Even if you love 80's slashers, avoid this movie like the plague. Believe me, there is nothing to see here.

Live it up, Garfield!, 20 July 2016

We start with a Garfield quickie. Jon thinks Garfield is playing a game of charades, but in reality, Garfield is just trying to tell him he's standing in Garfield's food. Jon thinks it's all a game and continues playing. This one was cute.

"Pest of a Guest"

Jon takes in a scheming cat who fakes being unwell. He steals all of Garfield's food and gets all the attention. Not to be outdone, Garfield quickly decides he must get rid of the cat by revising Jon's recipe. This was pretty enjoyable. It's not often you see Garfield being outdone by somebody else other than Nermal. It was like looking in a mirror. The way Garfield gets revenge on the cat is brilliant.

"Fat & Furry"

Jon is fed up of Garfield spending too much money on food. Garfield buys a lottery ticket in hopes of changing everything. Garfield ends up winning the lottery, and he and Jon become rich. Now, Garfield can have all the food he wants. This one is a bit ridiculous, but still funny. It was interesting to watch Garfield and Jon adjust to being rich. Of course, Garfield loves every second of it. Odie seemed indifferent about everything. The ending is well done as well. Rich or not, Garfield still loves his microwave lasagna!

Powerful stuff!, 20 July 2016

(Credit to Rhino on IMDb) An intended rape victim manages to escape from her attacker but leaves her purse behind. Worried that he may visit her house and finish what he has started, she contacts the police but they are unable to help, saying that she has no proof. "If he calls, let us know and we'll send a man round!" A fat load of good that would be. Her worst fears are realised when, alone one day in the house, her attacker visits and attempts again to rape her. Circumstances allow her not only to resist the attack but to turn the tables and lock him away. And that is where her dilemma really starts. Does she release him and risk another attack? Does she go to the police and risk being called a liar? Or does she kill him - and become as low as him?

I'm not overly fond of rape movies. They make me very uncomfortable. If they are done right, I tend to appreciate them. How did Extremities fare? Pretty well for the most part. This has your typical 80's sleazy feel to it, but it's done adroitly. When James Russo first appears, it's very unsettling. He is so good at being despicable, it becomes very satisfying what happens to him. The fact that he plays a father makes him even more disgusting. This movie has good suspense in general. Farrah Fawcett is extremely sympathetic as our heroine. I thought she did a fantastic job. My only real complaint is that it falters a bit in the second half.

If you're looking for a powerful film, this will be right up your alley.

6.5/10

Halloween fans deserved more, 20 July 2016

On Halloween night in 1978, Laurie Strode managed to escape a killing spree by Michael Myers. 20 years later, Laurie is still traumatized by the events. As a result, she faked her death and changed her name to Kerri Tate to run a private school. Growing tired of her mom's obsession with Michael, Laurie's son John plans a special get together with his girlfriend Molly and his friends. Michael Myers returns to try to kill what he wanted to do 20 years earlier, kill Laurie Strode.

I wanna get this straight before I get into my lengthy criticism. I don't dislike this sequel. As a matter of fact, it's rather entertaining when I ignore all the faults it has. After Halloween 6 destroyed the series with the god-awful thorn storyline, the series was in need of new direction. It starts off well enough. It opens with Mr. Sandman and the opening is suspenseful. Many people wanted Jamie Lee Curtis to make her return to the series, myself included. My main problem with this movie is that it's not mean enough. It tries so hard to be hip and in tune with the horror movies that were coming out. What this series needed was an old-school approach that was genuine. Everything about this movie just felt disingenuous, aside from the beginning and a few homages to the original. Another problem I have is the lack of genuine suspense and tension. The finale is OK, but it's not exactly scary or tense. Don't expect much gore either. (Though, gore isn't really Halloween's forte) We get a skate in the face, a slit throat, stabbings, someone's leg is crushed, but not much else.

Jamie Lee Curtis is excellent in her return to the series. Despite the below average script she has to work with, she makes the most of it. She's a shell of her former self, living in fear all the time. The events in 1978 have traumatized her for the rest of her life. I felt Laurie conveyed all these emotions perfectly. She deserved better. Josh Hartnett is really good as John. He's very likable and played someone you can easily root for. I felt for him at times. It's a shame that Halloween Resurrection chose to ignore the character of John. I wanted to see how he was handling life and what came of him. Michelle Williams is rock solid as John's love interest. She's an underrated actress and I enjoyed her performance. LL Cool J provides the comic relief. We could have done worse with someone in his role. (*cough, Busta Rhymes, *cough) Adam Arkin is a tad whiny as Laurie's love interest. I didn't really care for his character. Michael Myers himself is kind of weak in this one. The mask wasn't very intimidating. It's not really Chris Durand's fault, he just didn't really feel like The Shape to me. Janet Leigh has a small role here, but it's very cool. I loved the homage to Psycho. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is in the opening briefly as a punk teenager.

This could have been an epic sequel, but it was not to be. Despite all my problems with it, I still watch it at least once a year. I'm a huge fan of the Halloween series, and I still find it to be enjoyable. Just make sure your expectations are in check.

5.5/10

Stay far away!, 18 July 2016

Live from Philadelphia, PA

Attendance: 7,000

Your commentators are Jim Ross & Jessie Ventura

Michael Hayes, Bobby Eaton & Arn Anderson Vs The Z-Man, Johnny Gunn & Shane Douglas

Johnny Gunn pins Michael Hayes with a Lou Thez Press to win. Well, this was an above average opener. The crowd was the most fun thing about it. They LOATHED the faces and loved the heels. I can't say I blame them.

**1/4

Ricky 'The Dragon' Steamboat Vs 'Flyin' Brian Pillman

Steamboat wins. I was very excited about this one. This was a solid match between these two, as to be expected. They just went out and there and wrestled with no BS.

***1/4

United States Championship

Big Van Vader Vs Nikita Koloff

Rick Rude is the US champion. Vader is wrestling in his place. Vader wins with a powerbomb. This match was overlong and a bit sloppy as well. Other than that, I suppose it was OK.

*3/4

Tag Team Championship

Dustin Rhodes & Barry Windham (C) Vs 'Dr. Death" Steve Williams & 'Stunning' Steve Austin

The match ends in a 30 MINUTE time-limit draw. This match went 30 minutes! 30 freakin' minutes! I could barely stand it. This match was a mess and very boring to sit through, especially after 30 minutes. If you manage to endure this without pausing or stop watching altogether, I salute you.

*1/2

Paul E. Dangerously fires and humiliates Madusa. Madusa kicks the crap out of Paul E. until officials separate them. This would turn Madusa face. Paul E. was brilliant with his heel work here.

It's time for "Spin the Wheel, Make the Deal" Sting will face Jake 'The Snake' Roberts in a Coal Miner's Glove Match. You could hear a pin drop in the crowd.

NWA Heavyweight Championship

Masahiro Chono (C) (W/Hiro Matsuda) Vs 'Ravishing' Rick Rude (W/Madusa)

Harley Race is the special referee. In a very overbooked finish, Rick Rude wins by DQ. This match was garbage! It was one rest hold after another for almost the entire match. Very seldom did you see anything else. After all that boredom, we get that crappy finish? Whatever.

World Heavyweight Championship

Ron Simmons (C) Vs The Barbarian (W/Cactus Jack)

Yes, The Barbarian is main eventing in 92... Simmons wins with a powerslam. This was a pretty poor title match. If you expected anything less with The Barbarian, you're goofy.

Coal Miner's Glove Match

Sting Vs Jake 'The Snake' Roberts

Sting pins Jake after Jake's cobra bites him in the face. This was a lousy main event. The stipulation did them no favors what so ever, but the match itself stunk. To make matters worse, the finish was really stupid.

This is one of the worst WCW PPV's ever. It actually started off OK, but quickly went downhill. Spare yourself the agony and just avoid it.

2.5/10