naseby

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Take it for what it is, you'll then have no problem! **Spoilers**, 19 May 2017

David Hemmings stars as the lead in a light-hearted look at the new teen revelation of bands starting up and wanting to taste stardom. You know, the days BEFORE X-Factor and Britain/America's Got Talent, where the realities of trying to get your foot in the door in the music industry involved gigging in backwaters in your beaten-up old van etc., were the norm, before today's 'kids' think they can get automatic stardom themselves via the social media and the erstwhile progs I mentioned. Dave and chums (including a young Steve 'Small Faces' Marriott and the upcoming, but not-really-made-it-big, 'Heinz'(Burt))form a band, have the odd-parent not believing in them, all along holding down the day-job (they're all GPO delivery bike riders, before the minimum waged Eastern Europeans took over). They try their best to get, rather cheesily, contacts by sticking their necks out as best they can by freak introductions with studios bosses and record producers, etc., etc. Nice, fair acting of excitable kids trying to make it big, having to say to 'Dad' : 'We can make it' etc, when 'Dad' would rather promise 'getting Hemmings a 'proper job' at his Hotel!

I have to say, that although many of today's 'kids' would laugh at how awful the music is, this really lets you into a world as it was THEN and in that ilk, it's an eye-opener, or something we had forgotten.

This could, in these days of 'kids' wanting the quick avenue to celeb status, be remade.

As I say, take it for what it is, as one reviewer says a 'time- capsule' and you'll not really want to judge it. Capture and take in its innocence and you'll love the way it comes across, love its atmosphere etc! Got to be seen. Somewhat similar and 'revisited' with Hemmings playing the same character in 'Be my Guest' (Just two years later) where he creates angst with the chums in his band. Worth your time on that wet Saturday or Sunday afternoon!

Cold-war espionage, standard, but OK! ** Spoilers **, 22 January 2017

This is an Alistair MaClean Cold-War outing, to the arctic, to salvage a Russian Spy-Satellite. Naturally, it's a race between the superpowers of Russia and America, coupled with a submarine/Captain, Rock Hudson and his associates to get there ... an able Patrick McGoohan as a British agent tasked with the retrieval. It's usual Cold-War fare/espionage but it is watchable, one of those films we grew up with in the afternoon slot. There's a traitor in the mix (midst?) as well, as per usual to add to the storyline, well, it IS espionage, after all. Nice score and, if you're a military-head, you'll love the plastic MiG-21s flying to the trouble-spot, that become Phantom F-4s very quickly when it suits stock footage!

Pretty dire actually, but a fair plot-line ** Spoilers **, 21 August 2016

Watchable for the famous DH Mosquito but nothing else to hold it of any merit, sadly. As others have mentioned, poor acting, sixties-style hairdressing rather than a brylcreem-and-bright-red-lipstick timeline, the film is particularly bad and lacking. Also, as mentioned, stealing far too many aerial scenes from the superior '633 Squadron' make this a dim, Sunday afternoon type of low-budget flick. Interesting plot, actually, however maybe badly executed, mention of 'Highball', not quite the normal 'bouncing bomb', but a device developed mainly for the navy, to bounce against enemy warships. The plan is thus, to 'bounce' them into the mouth of a tunnel to destroy a 'V3' rocket facility. Added to this Munroe's (McCallum) quandary of his adopted 'brother' and superior Officer 'Scotty' (David Buck), missing presumed dead, but actually among the POWS, with an amnesiac bump on his head/unaware of whom HE is.The Nazis are going to use Scotty AND the POWs as a 'Human shield', once they have got wind of the coming RAF attack. Complicating things further of course, is the fact Quint is in love now with Scotty's 'alleged' widow. It's all meant to be hush- hush, especially more so, (David Dundas - he of the 'Blue Jeans' song, years ago and featured on a Levi's advert) blabs to everyone about the POWs plight after being told NOT to - leading to a so-called bonus operation with 'Highball' and the assistance of the French Resistance to bomb the POWs compound to free them ONLY when the V3 facility is destroyed FIRST (any Highball bombs 'left over' are only THEN to be allocated to free the prisoners).This has deliberate echoes of the 'Operation Jericho mission' also executed by DH Mosquitoes. Character actor George Layton (he of the famous British 'Doctor'comedy TV series) mentions this was his first film role. Nice to see the pretty Suzanne Neve as Scotty's 'widow', Beth, but not a lot to remember this for, EXCEPT as I've said, its stealing of 633 Squadron's scenes!

*** SPOILERS*** The rise of a confident, hard, criminal mod!, 28 April 2016

This hung in the back of my mind somewhere, as a kid at the end of the 'sixties - where had I heard of this programme's title/name? A parent? ! Teacher... in the street? Even in the playground?!?!?

My inquisitive mind, on finding it out on release on the web, along with some other programme included in the purchase, entitled 'Spindoe' which I'm not familiar with, made me buy it.

I wasn't disappointed though... a cocky, hard, flash, arrogant and unforgiving young Peter Egan, brushes aside any morality, takes on any risky job of robbery, including no-holds barred violence and works his way up through the ranks of Lennox's (Timothy West) criminal empire of 'Scot-Yanks' and the aspiration to remove Lennox rather than work for him.

Even Timothy West as the suave but unforgiving gangster surprises. There's ample support also from a more 'working- class' Donald Burton in the firing line. Burton had played Captain Nialls (later) in the TV series 'Warship' and was also married to Carroll Baker, yes, she of 'The Big Country'. I'm not saying Egan hasn't excelled but he's never done anything better here in my mind and maybe he was offered other roles after this in this vein that he may have even turned down (who knows?) but he'd be a right 'Ray Winstone' in typecasting by now!!!!

As the previous reviewer says, if you can overlook the black-and-white cheapish TV production values, which makes it appear like it's filmed in your own front room with a video camera and the 'sixties background music etc., Egan's performance alone will impress you and make it all worthwhile. It's so different in that aspect from even just five years later from 'The Sweeney' or anything expensively-American of course.

SPOILERS ** This could have had potential, 15 November 2015

Strange Brit film-noir, in the sense Jayne Mansfield is playing a gang leader (and not even the moll). Anthony Quayle, playing out of character, (Jim) (if you 'don't' include 'Ice Cold in Alex, where he makes good anyway/let off).

Simply said, Mansfield's 'Billie' character, sets up her then lover (Quayle) into taking part in a robbery. Carl Mohne as 'Kristy' her 'real'(?) lover, 'makes a phone call to the police to land Jim in it, but it looks like it still had Billie's blessing to land Quayle in it too??? Although the strange thing is, she's left Jim to hide the money without anyone knowing, (including her, where he stashed it). Kristy, thinking she DOES know, is hanging around. Meanwhile, Jim takes the rap because of the 'phone call, does his stretch and is released. However, all in the meantime Billie and the gang, have done numerous robberies whilst Jim was inside. This I don't really get, as Mansfield/Billie didn't know/locate the money from the first robbery with Jim, carries on robbing in the meantime. It's not as if she had Jim's money and was going to use it to finance jobs.

On Jim's release, Mansfield and the gang want the money from the first job, Jim of course rebels/refuses for taking the rap - it's not long before the gang decide or rather Kristy does, to kidnap Jim's son, Joey (typical 60's name) in return in trying to get him to blab.

Mansfield though is not warmed to the idea of harming or even taking Joey, as Kristy is a psychopath. This is where the film adds a bit more tension in the overall plot of finding Joey, who's in the hands of one of the gang, who's happy to kill joey if Jim isn't forthcoming wit the loot.

Edward Judd plays a good role as the Inspector after both Mansfield's gang and all the loot from all the robberies as well as trying to wrest Joey from Kristy's minions.

Predictable kind of turns with cops and robbers etc., with some fair action/fighting and tension. It has to be said Quayle played a great role and very well. Mansfield, on the other hand also predictably still plays a dumb blonde role too much like Marilyn Monroe, spoiling it, though for me and the film. She does a good about-face with Mohne's character realising he's a dangerous psycho though. One thing, there's a plot part of the loot being buried and then found to have later, explosives covering it - Jim goes to find it surprised of course, but what's more surprising is the fact the explosives are left out in the open/unguarded!!!

Dire beyond belief! Spoilers, 26 August 2015

I don't know HOW this ever got to be made, despite the stalwarts of British cinema/familiar faces, plus, off the top of my head in 1967, Freddie and the Dreamers, had used up any popularity they had by then. They produced dire songs here too.This really was an awful script and acting in a vain attempt to capitalise on the 'pop-stars-into-film' genre, especially really limited to 60s bands. This is really forgettable and not pleasant, or funny in any way. It had to be viewed though as 'part' of this genre, in my book, but I regretted every minute of it, even though the actors I've said, had 'support'. 'The 'gang' are just that, a troupe of Boy Scouts unwittingly helping and then foiling a couple of robbers. Do yourself a favour - give it miss, promise! Saw this recently, on the new UK satellite channel TalkingPictures.

Take it for what it is, sixties-style Viking romp! *** Spoilers ***, 20 June 2015

It it is what it is...the OTHER Viking film of the sixties, A Moorish King, Aly Mansah (Sidney Poitier) cajoles after much fighting with his Viking adversary, Rolfe (Richard Widmark), looking out of place as much as the British supporting cast for a legendary 'Golden Bell' named 'The Mother of Voices' at the 'Pillars of Hercules'... well, there's much gold in that of course and we all know Vikings and maybe, a Moorish king, would love to have 'half the world in gold' if they could (as we would, without the adventuring). The Vikings at first as I've said, have an uneasy peace after nearly being executed by the 'Mare of Steel'... but choose instead to work together - and of course, it would keep the captured Vikings alive - for the time being! There's plenty of Viking-like drinking, using ladies for entertainment, talk of 'Odin' a captured wench-beauty in and on the 'Moor' side, Arabs who are reigned by a rich king with a lovely Rosanna Schiaffino as Aminah, his Queen. As mentioned, a strange miscasting for the likes of British supporting actors, Edward Judd, Colin Blakeley, Gordon Jackson and Dave Lodge as Rolfe's Viking 'crew'/stalwarts. I was half expecting Graham Stark, Sam Kydd, Percy Herbert, Michael Ripper and Harold Goodwin to be in there on that basis! It's as I say, a sixties-style Viking saga as much as 'The Vikings' was with its American headers of Poitier and Widmark and swashbuckling adventurism - still, this is what we grew up with and it's a lot better than the CGI nonsense and limited acting we see, so enjoyable when it has a TV run and welcome, just sit back and enjoy it! Nice touch as - shall I tell you, it does say 'Spoilers' at the top of my heading ... so read no further ... if... you wanted to know that the bell falls on Sidney Poitier and kills him! nice one! Filmed in Yugoslavia, this doesn't belie the fjords of Norway in any way.

Impact (1963)
Lacklustre, has a little merit though, 18 May 2015

Not anything to write home about, but I've always like Conrad Phillips in these budget-flicks from 'Butcher's films' which seem to be doing the rounds on obscure Satellite/Freeview channels and, put out by 'Reknown Films' on DVD.

A pretty thin story, of a reporter, Jack Moir (Phillips) who constantly bothers a local hoodlum nicknamed 'The Duke' Dukelow, with bad publicity about him. Needless to say, the latter has him put out of the way by framing him for a mail-train robbery of around £60,000. Moir is sentenced to 20 months in prison and swears/exacts revenge on his release. It's pretty staid to be honest. Two points, as Malcolmgsw points out, that 20 months for robbery of £60,000 especially involving coshing a cop, is a ludicrously short sentence, which would probably start at least eight years plus, even if you didn't serve the full term of it. Another load of rubbish surely is, as has also been said elsewhere, that the police (led by Mike Pratt) would surely not expect him to be hanging around waiting to be pinched with the evidence that was 'planted' on him (that he hadn't known about until they unearthed it). Of course, though, cops are cops 'We're a very narrow-minded lot' as was quoted in the film 'Villain' from Inspector Matthews. From an interest point of view, Ballard Berkeley as Moir's Newspaper boss puts in an early appearance before his 'famous' one as 'The Major' in Fawlty Towers. Anita West, 'The Duke's' resident singer and floosie disappeared as a character actress (sorry, actor) sometime in the seventies/eighties (Crossroads) but puts in a welcome appearance too. A pretty laughable ending is also had to add to the purile writing of the story. Again, bad skiffle and jazz music as well as short back-and-sides and Brylcreem add to the atmosphere but worth it only for a curious look of B-support movie featurettes..

Worth only for the cast, forget everything else! **SPOILERS**, 6 April 2015

This starts out as promising, with Paratroopers disappearing out of the sky, 'in comes Jim' (Patrick Allen) as the sort of armed forces special investigator to try to find out what's happening. If you didn't know Sean Connery's brother, Neil, was in it, just watch and you'll almost think it was Sean, as Allen's right-hand man/pal. Although his acting's pretty wooden, it's worth taking a look for this reason alone.

The plot as I have said, starts off interestingly enough, but Allen is given a pseudo Anthony Hopkins Naval Officer (When Eight Bells Toll) type of persona coupled with Bond in chasing every bit of skirt that happens to come his way. Liaising with the sceptical 'Ministers' and top brass that values him (a rather uninterested-looking George Sanders) this bumbles along.

The location scenery is fair and there are a rash of good supporting British actors that make it a little interesting from a British film history point of view. Patrick 'The JAW' Allen's role is much like he always can't get out of, the suave-cardigan lolloping type. He's a good enough actor, but the script here doesn't do anyone justice. The plot concerns of course, yes, you guessed it, aliens snatching our boys, an enigmatic female (Lorna) whom Allen can't wait to pounce on, which is central to the plot (not him pouncing, Lorna!).

This was very 60s from Tigon at the end of the horror/sci-fi genre in British film making and it didn't do it any favours.

The music score/incidental music is done to the death/lamped up almost at every moment, perhaps it helped you from dozing off in the cinema as the plot gets lost, slows and is a disappointment, as is using the 'flying saucer' from the Dr Who film 'Daleks Invasion Earth, 2150'. That part of it definitely let it down further. Again, worth watching for a good British cast a lot of us grew up with in British film making but that's about all, don't invite your friends around for pop and popcorn on this one.

"C'mon, skipper, let's have a punch-up!" Pretty ordinary **** SPOILERS ****, 5 April 2015

Another Harry Alan Towers production, which makes me wonder where he gets the money from to do these low-budget flicks as surely even Mickey Rooney wasn't cheap in those days, perhaps not as much as Lex Barker. Towers had hired Barker before (Code 7, Victim 5). Rooney is the perpetrator of his own misgivings in this one, as a conniving little con-artist/smuggler to put it mildly, pursued by international villains he owes. Interestingly, as others have said, set in 60s Beirut before the near-destruction of the city just 20 years later and a flavour of culture and sophistication, that indeed it was at the time. There's plenty of Euro-crumpet along the way, as we're talking about a flight crew whose plane has been grounded from flying on to London due to a dickie engine - hence the '24 hours 'to fix-kill'', leaving Rooney (as 'Norman Jones') tailed by the villains in question.

Barker does his best as the dashing flight captain, to inevitably protect Jones among his own little romance with Helga Sommerfeld and ultimately his crew from the fez-wearing Walter Slezak character and his foreign minions. There isn't much typically Lebanese apart from the location, just hoodlums with guns, fisticuffs, Barker's avuncular approach to Rooney's character before his patience wears thin on him, and, as I've said a nice bevvy of beauties along the way.

It's standard fare, watchable but only just and special attention as mentioned to Beirut of the 60s - it wouldn't make it into the Oscars by any stretch, I hope they got some money back on it, but would think with the international cast (including the excellent bird-chasing Michael Medwin, he of my title quote) that was the idea to flog it around the English-speaking and European world - perhaps even the Lebanese went to see it! Again, no-one can fault the location shooting, may be worth it for that alone.

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]