magus-4

Sisters (2015/III)
Liberating, funny and sweet, 16 September 2016

I read the 1 and 2 star reviews and had second thoughts about watching this movie. But I did it anyway because I love Poehler and Fey, looked through the cast list and liked it a lot and also realized that most of the bad reviews were negative because the authors didn't appreciate profanities, drug and sex references and juvenile jokes. Glad I did. Loved it. And loved to see these ladies go all the way without losing their Poehler-ness and Fey-ness. They have great chemistry of course. But the big chunk of funny are the dialogues. The situations set them up and weren't really important as far as I'm concerned. Although There's a story line that keeps everything together and flowing which is nice. Act one paints their relationship and life situation. Act two sends things to the next level. And the short act three is a nice way to finish.

All in all a solid 8/10 for entertainment value. But 10/10 because I'm an even bigger fan of Mrs. Poehler and Fey!

Subtle, yet powerful storytelling, 20 May 2016

I didn't know anything about this movie, but saw it on iTunes. I knew and liked most of the actors. So I rented it. I was sold within the first five minutes. And it didn't fail to get me more involved throughout. There's no big arc, great plot, fantastic action, or slap stick comedy. I mean, it's all there but not in a big, in your face way. And I love that. It's a story that anyone who has a heart, and has been through rough patches with his or her family can relate to. The script contains many really great lines, especially the kids' parts. It's masterful edited and well paced. There are a ton of short shots that create extra texture. Some stunning wide shots of the environment. Lots of use of indirect storytelling inducing your imagination, good acting, and incredible acting by the three kids. I was moved and welled up, laughed a lot, was in awe and progressively more engaged. If you're in the mood for action, big laughs, a thriller or a big drama, don't pick this one. But if you feel mellow and like good storytelling, then sit back, relax and watch this one.

Nice. Shouldn't be promoted as a comedy, 3 May 2016

It's all a matter of taste of course. But this is by no means a bad movie. Sure, if you expect to see a comedy you're waiting for X jokes per minute and I can see you would be disappointed. This movie could be billed as mild satire/drama. There aren't any hilarious laugh out loud moments. But I felt there were a lot of big smiles and grins. The story moves along nicely. There's a solid structure. There are some nice developments and moments and although the plot may be predictable, it still kept my attention. The acting is good as well. Gervais takes a risk by playing a real character instead of the caricatures he often plays (and I find very funny). The other characters are a bit stronger, especially the Latin American couple. But again, you'll have to get the dry humor. Movies like Capricorn one and Wag the dog with similar premises are much stronger. But this is a nice, yet softer take on that type of premise. All in all a nice movie to watch.

The Visit (2015/I)
Wow! Glad I kept following Night Shyamalan, 8 April 2016

Like many of us I turned into an instant fan after The sixth sense. Over time I started to feel like many of us did. I know that no artist will produce gems a 100% of the time. Nor should he or she. As an artist you need to keep reinventing yourself. And I liked and sometimes relay liked the next few movies. I could even appreciate The Lady in the Water to a certain extent believe it or not. Still, I had to rationalize me following M.Night Shamyalan more and more. But I'm glad I hung in there. This was a complete surprise! I found myself praying that it would have a strong finish halfway through. And it didn't disappoint me in the least. Actually, it was the cherry on the cake.

But apart from that moment in the middle,where I briefly started to reflect on how I felt about the movie, I was engaged deeply the rest of the time. A few shock moment, even a few real goosebumps. Loved it.

One of the most coherent, solid movies by him in a long time. I guess it's true: urgency is the mother of all invention, but limitation (budget $5,000,000) is the mother of all inventiveness and creativity.

Entertaining from beginning to end, 31 March 2016

One of those movies that is trashed by critics but loved by fans. being a critic you may not like the genre but to rate it 4/10? I mean, it's well shot and directed, great pace, stimulating soundtrack, some nice action. I may be a 16 year old trapped in the body of a 55 year old man, but I had a smile on my face throughout. And a whole bunch of out loud laughs. I was nicely surprised regularly by the action. Sure, there's not a whole lot of story. But that's not the point of these type of movies. And there's enough of it to keep it going.

So if you have some hours to spare, like funny zombie movies, grab a bag of popcorn and watch this.

Drama with some absurd as well as hilarious moments, 11 July 2015

Didn't know what to expect. But I like Vince Vaughn because he doesn't always stay in his comfort zone. This isn't a comedy. It's a rather sweet story about a guy who sticks to what he believes in in a non-alpha-male way. His partners in business are not very successful and unpolished to say the least. They need to close a deal and go on a business trip and are unexpectedly competing with the company Vaughn walked away from. Meanwhile Vaughn needs to long-distance-deal with some problems his kids have. There are a few laughs and chuckles, there are some absurd situations, but to me those were there to spice up the movie. It's mostly a light drama about a guy trying to support his family, his co-workers and himself. I didn't get bored at all. I suspect the bad reviews were triggered by the wrong expectations. If you expect to see a laugh out loud type of comedy, you will feel disappointed. But if you expect to see a good enough script, well delivered with some nice laughs, you'll be fine.

Surprised by the many negative reviews; enjoyed this very much, 13 August 2013

The negative reviews may be caused by the wrong expectation. It the movie is categorized as a comedy. When you add names like Bateman and McCarthy you may set people up to expect Arrested Development- or Bridesmaides- type of comedy. This movie isn't like that at all. It's definitely got many funny moments hat made me laugh out loud. But I was also moved at some points. The script may not be brilliant, but it's certainly not one-dimensional. Paired with solid performances by the whole cast (even the very minor parts of the kids are well delivered), it makes this a very enjoyable movie to watch. If I had to describe what type of movie it is, I wouldn't describe it as a comedy but as a storytelling movie about two people cross paths because one of them steals the identity of the other person. Over the course of two hours their relationship evolves and turns into something different. It's a mix of comedy, drama and even a little bit of action. Spirit lifting.

Pina (2011)
It's a love thing I guess, 12 August 2011

I had no interest in dance, contemporary, experimental or classic. Until, way back, I saw Sacre du Printemps by Pina Bausch. OK, I was a huge fan of Stravinsky and knew every note of the Sacre. I had no idea it could be taken to a whole new level. But for me, Bausch's interpretation did just that.

---- Spoiler ahead ------

The movie starts with big portions of the Sacre in 3D. Wow! For two reasons. The 3D creates a very spatial experience (duhhh...) that I've never seen applied to realistic footage. Secondly, some of the shots are taken from the perspective of one of the dancers. ------- end spoiler -------

So after ten minutes I was totally taken away by it. It's a wonderful eulogy. I felt hot tears running down my cheeks frequently and at unexpected moments. The imagery is jaw dropping. some sequences are breathtaking. I never slept more peaceful after seeing this movie.

But then again, I think my own kids and wife are the most beautiful creatures on the whole planet. And I think very few people would agree with me. I guess I'm looking at them with my heart and soul rather than with my eyes and analytical, judgmental mind (that tells me, reading this back, that I'm overly sentimental about this; but that's just the way it is).

Just a nice roller-coaster ride, 31 May 2010

I realize how you could watch this movie having Rashomon in the back of your mind. Don't. It's a really well made action thriller. You'll see the same 23 minutes over and over again. Every time a few new facts are revealed. While I've seen loads of this type of action action movies, and most of them are very enjoyable to watch, this one definitely stands out. It's not too long, very well paced, well acted. And they didn't bother to weave in a love story that makes no sense and only distracts from the action like in many of the movies of this kind. If you like to wind down, get rid of the stress of the day and have about 80 minutes to spare, you won't regret watching this one.

Deeply moving film, 20 July 2009

Weird thing: in the middle of the movie David Lynch appeared in my mind's eye. I don't know why he popped into my head but he did. I must have connected the styles intuitively. The mix of story lines, the impressive and sometimes deeply moving shots, the way it gets under your skin. And like David Lynch movies, it's a bad idea to watch this picture using your head. There's another link I think. Lynch is deeply into awareness techniques. He's been doing TM most of his life. Just surrender to its flow of images, lyrics (I can hardly call this text) and music. You might end up with some miraculous insights (or reminded of them)